PDA

View Full Version : New Striped Bass Regulations Discussion and Report

finchaser
04-08-2015, 10:45 AM
New striped bass regulations

Come and show your disapproval of NJ 3 fish limit

Meeting will be held 4/9/15 at the Stafford Township Municipal Building, 260 East Bay Avenue, Manahawkin, NJ 08050 at 4PM

A good way to expose Tom Fote and Paul Hartel of the JCAA and their lies :mad:

hookedonbass
04-09-2015, 08:19 AM
Thanks for that, will try to get out of work early. My boss has been throwing a lot of overtime at me lately and its hard to say no without getting the shaft in sheduling. I hope something can be done. From what I read on here NJ is the only state that hasn't changed the regulations that much. Something def smells fishy and it isn't the stripers.

plugcrazy
04-09-2015, 08:51 AM
I might try to make it just to ask tim fote what his deal is. Here it is on google maps. thanks for the heads up finchaser. It's about a half mile e of rt 9.
260 East Bay Avenue, Manahawkin, NJ 08050
and you can also put it on your phones gps.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/260+E+Bay+Ave,+Manahawkin,+NJ+08050/@39.6926928,-74.2542642,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c107b9a0dd440b:0xad1a8dc1877b9 782

finchaser
04-10-2015, 08:09 AM
Here's what's going to happen with the bonus program

1. The new bonus program will be 1 @ 24"-28". It will go into effect on 9/1.
2. The current bonus program (1 @ 28") will remain until the new regulation is signed. That should happen in approximately 3-4 weeks, so early to mid May.
3. Once the new regulation is signed, the bonus program will be closed until 8/31.

The RFA was and still is for 1 @ 28 which is a possibility next year

The 1@ 28 to 43 and 1 over 43 is still pending Governors signature he has 15 days left to sign it but under new law if he doesn't it goes into law anyway. This is what Tom Fote and the JCAA suggested and the council approved. There president Paul Hartel is on the advisory committee also. Fote was a no show as usual causes the damage and then hides

The JCAA did not poll any clubs but speaks at meetings for what they claim is 2000 plus members. Remember this when the JCAA fluke tournament comes up as it's their main source of support .

Everyone at the meeting was for a 1 fish bag limit (except the JCAA) which is a possibility next year ,and once again thanks to everyone here for not attending any of the 4 meetings so don't complain.

So total possession limits if you have and use a tag are as follows

. 1 fish between 28 and 43
. 1 Fish over 43
. 1 Fish 28 inches or more until new bill is out of legal review in 2-3 weeks then closed until 9/1/15

- Between 9/1 and 12/31
. 1 fish between 28 and 43
. 1 fish over 43
. 1 fish between 24 and 28

SharkHart
04-10-2015, 09:00 AM
So you get the honor bonus, in fall you can whoop on back bay bass once you get the fish to the car Tag never gets filled out right? The **** robin started to post on facebook last night to tell their customers to get the bonus tag, we will kill more bass then 2014 in NJ, Lovely regs :embarassed:

finchaser
04-10-2015, 11:21 AM
50 years fishing and I've never had one.
Jimmy on the Robin can post anything he wants. there will be no bonus tags for the spring run.

meant to stop boats from killing 3 big fish and as far as back bay goes still only 2 unless the 3rd is over 43" Everyone wanted 1@28 Fote and JCAA recommenced this to council on behalf of everyone

They may even go back to a mouth tag instead of the print your out get out of jail card

finchaser
04-11-2015, 11:45 AM
bump

Monty
04-11-2015, 05:07 PM
we will kill more bass then 2014 in NJ, Lovely regs :embarassed:

Its ridiculous.

DarkSkies
04-13-2015, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the updates and the accurate reports, Fin. :thumbsup::HappyWave:

Thanks for attending the meeting as well.
Just curious, how many attended that meeting?

There are still folks who are running around on the internet saying nothing is wrong with striped bass in NJ. The population is fine and strong as it has ever been.
This is what you guys are dealing with. There is no specific proof of corruption, but I believe those are the types of people that have surrounded Mr Fote and are filling his ears with those lies.

It's sad to see that with over half a million saltwater anglers in NJ alone (according to some estimates)....more could not get involved or voice their opinion on this...or show up at the meetings.

Thanks for all you do, Fin.
I don't know about others, but I appreciate it.:clapping:

fishinmission78
04-13-2015, 12:06 PM
Thank you for the info, Sir. Theres no need for the bonus tag or the 2nd fish. Greedy bastards is all I have to say about it.

seamonkey
04-13-2015, 12:09 PM
x2 thanks finchaser!

hookset
04-13-2015, 03:10 PM
x3 thanks for being there and the reports. If you ever need money to put fote on a surprise fishing trip where the boat sinks out at the canyons, I will give 100 dollars.

clamchucker
04-13-2015, 03:26 PM
There are still folks who are running around on the internet saying nothing is wrong with striped bass in NJ. The population is fine and strong as it has ever been.
This is what you guys are dealing with. There is no specific proof of corruption, but I believe those are the types of people that have surrounded Mr Fote and are filling his ears with those lies.

It's sad to see that with over half a million saltwater anglers in NJ alone (according to some estimates)....more could not get involved or voice their opinion on this...or show up at the meetings.

Thanks for all you do, Fin.
I don't know about others, but I appreciate it.:clapping:

darkskies those people you mention all have some sort of commercial or charter boat interest. I don't know anyone my age who could say that to a group of real fishermen of our caliber and not get laughs and smirks. You all must realize that their livelihoods are at stake. They can and will say anything even if it is not the truth. The science is so inexact they will always be able to point to statistics that support those faulty claims. For myself, haveing fished over 60 years I feel we are right at the edge of the great drop that caused the previous moratorium. If NJ does not get in line with the other states the drop will be a precipitous one. The same thing is happening all over again. As you mentioned not many seem that concerned or they would attend the meetings with fire in their bellies.
As for myself I must apologize. I am too old to fight. I have done it in the past but no more. Any time I feel healthy I take my grandsons fishing and see my extended family.

finchaser thank you for all you do. I have always agreed with your proclamations. I fear others may not until it's too late.

finchaser
04-13-2015, 09:38 PM
Was a good turn out they turned people away there were more boat than beach the 3 major surf clubs sent people. Bobby and Howard Bogan, Will from Folsom tackle.

Adam from RFA got a standing ovation stating its time for the states to come together and fight the states and federal government fish councils and the people who advise them Fote and Hartel came to most minds.

Hartel turned red many times as things didn't go to his liking through out the night especially being able to kill a 3rd big fish in the form of a bonus fish for the spring run (he's a boat guy)

Fote was a no show as usual causes the damage and hides. I 'll see him this Friday at the IGFA children's benefit dinner and our group will tell him to stick the JCAA fluke tournament up his a_s

Whole bunch of people from the southern part of state as this was also a finalization of fluke regs. Which are 5@ 18" from May22 to September 26th

buckethead
04-24-2015, 02:00 PM
Adam from RFA got a standing ovation stating its time for the states to come together and fight the states and federal government fish councils and the people who advise them Fote and Hartel came to most minds.

Hartel turned red many times as things didn't go to his liking through out the night especially being able to kill a 3rd big fish in the form of a bonus fish for the spring run (he's a boat guy)

Fote was a no show as usual causes the damage and hides. I 'll see him this Friday at the IGFA children's benefit dinner and our group will tell him to stick the JCAA fluke tournament up his a_s

I don't think folks grasp the seriousness of the decline. I think that whatever the regs are the boats will be pushing for full limits.

Fishing has been so spotty this spring that boats from all over are concentrated together. This is a recent report for the raritan. Can you picture what it will be like when they are all bailing 20 pounders and up?

"The back of the bay was a parking lot when we arrived (I counted 71 private and for hire boats at one point) so we picked a spot off to the side by ourselves. The fishing is tough right now as the majority of the bass are small, although by employing lighter equipment they are still a lot of fun to catch. The fishing was a pick throughout the day with many of the bites being extremely subtle and are probably going unnoticed by many fishermen. "

clamchucker
05-03-2015, 11:44 AM
agree with what you said bucket head. I have lived through it all and see the same things happening again.
As for the regulations here they are online. They are not in effect until May 4. Turn the pages to page 17 on the document by clicking on the bottom right corner.
http://pub.eregulations.com/doc/jfgriffin/15njmd/2015042102/#2

williehookem
05-03-2015, 12:48 PM
I like this site and don't want to start any wars but I think it's really unfair that jersey can keep 3 fish. We had 2 fish last year and now have 1. That should be enough for anyone. If any of you guys can justify keeping 3 fish and why I would like to hear it. Other wise I think anyone who keeps 3 is a selfish pig and a d-bag. lis not trying to start a war. It just doesn't seem fair to me that jersey is not following the guidelines that everyone else has to follow. my .o2

finchaser
05-03-2015, 02:19 PM
I agree 1 would be great like the other states

Monty
05-03-2015, 02:25 PM
I like this site and don't want to start any wars but I think it's really unfair that jersey can keep 3 fish. We had 2 fish last year and now have 1. That should be enough for anyone. If any of you guys can justify keeping 3 fish and why I would like to hear it. Other wise I think anyone who keeps 3 is a selfish pig and a d-bag. lis not trying to start a war. It just doesn't seem fair to me that jersey is not following the guidelines that everyone else has to follow. my .o2

I agree with you 100%

finchaser
05-03-2015, 02:31 PM
New regs should go into effect 5/4/15 bonus tag has ended

As per Al Ristori yesterday when we had coffee

Law Enforcement assured me that the new Bonus Program, as outlined in the Marine Digest, is now in effect. That means there is no Bonus Bass now as a season for one bass from 24 inches up to less than 28 inches has been set for Sept. 1 through Dec. 31. Up to this point, the one bonus bass at a 28-inch minimum that applied last year was still in effect. There are about 7,600 tags out now, and a limited number of new tags will be issued as the ASMFC allocation from New Jersey's old commercial fishery that's used for this program is only 215,912 pounds. The quota was never approached in other years, as few anglers had any need for a third big bass after already taking two. However, the opportunity to keep an "eating size" bass this fall is expected to greatly increase interest in the bonus fish.

clamchucker
05-04-2015, 07:31 PM
As fin chaser said the bonus program has changed. Just got this today-

Striped Bass Bonus Program Changes

Effective May 1, 2015

Thank you for participating in the 2015 Striped Bass Bonus Program (SBBP).

This notice is to inform you that the SBBP will close on May 1, 2015 and will remain closed until September 1, 2015. All current permits are no longer valid. A new permit will automatically be issued through the mail prior to September 1, 2015. You do not need to do anything to receive a valid 2015 Bonus Permit.

Harvest reporting and online logbooks are currently not available. Detailed information about new SBBP procedures will be provided with your new permit and through various outlets, including list serve, as soon as they become available.

On September 1, 2015, the new SBBP regulations will be:

One fish 24" to less than 28"

Please note that the order of fish harvested does not matter. The Bonus fish can be the 1st, 2nd or 3rd fish.

The New Jersey recreational striped bass regulations in all state waters are as follows:

One fish 28" to less than 43" AND one fish 43" or greater

Please continue to check the Division's website for notice of changes. For more information, please contact Heather Corbett of the Bureau of Marine Fisheries at 609-748-2020.