PDA

View Full Version : Bluefish 2015!

hookedonbass
04-15-2015, 09:29 AM
Its so warm out and usually by this time the blues are here. Haven't heard of any yet. Post your sightings here. Lets hope we get some big monsters this year like last year.:wheeeee:

SharkHart
04-15-2015, 09:49 AM
A friend sent me a link some were caught in OC Maryland

fishinmission78
04-15-2015, 03:50 PM
I was waay in the back this morning. Was watching bunker in about 10 feet of water. There were thousands of them. Right before sunrise there was a huge splash that catapulted out of the water to get a bunker. I could see the silvery back part way but it was too dark to be sure. Bass thrash differently through schools of bunker. I have seen the difference many times.I could swear this thing was a bluefish. Or the loch ness monster lol.

bababooey
04-15-2015, 11:19 PM
Right before sunrise there was a huge splash that catapulted out of the water to get a bunker. I could swear this thing was a bluefish. Or the loch ness monster lol.

:(They're coming should be here soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5fA_munw_Y

cowherder
04-16-2015, 12:04 AM
Cool love that movie! Badum badum badum classic. Hope we have some great bluefish fishing this spring I could really use it.

buckethead
04-16-2015, 09:44 AM
The big ones are coming from the East and migrate offshore in the winter.. Sometimes there are smaller ones migrating up the coast in the spring. If the ones in OC are 10 lbs or more I would say we could see them here also in a matter of days.It is probably a few degrees warmer down there. It really is up to the bluefish themselves and the water temperatures.

surfrob
04-16-2015, 12:59 PM
I always found April a bit early, a roll of the dice for bluefish.

May is typically bluefish fest, at least in the bays.

Epic bluefish blitzes happen at the tip of a popular NPS, which requires a death march to reach, end of May.

Just sayin'

buckethead
04-17-2015, 06:11 PM
I agree with what you are saying as well surfrob. They are a little late this year. when they show up they will probably be reported in multiple areas up here.

robmedina
04-18-2015, 07:53 AM
when they show I will be ready for em. I got a bunch of poopers I tied this winter that I effed up on that have bluefish names written all over em!

ledhead36
04-18-2015, 08:16 AM
Any day now. It will be like the invasion at normandy.

wish4fish
04-20-2015, 10:17 AM
yesterday a guy led n me met waz sayin that he heard of 1 caught in rb. hard to believe tho n we dont kno him so maybe its true maybe not

nitestrikes
04-20-2015, 10:56 AM
I think they are all going to hit at one time or relatively close to it as ledhead was saying. I was out fishing this weekend. Not much success for me.
A report I read today about our SS-
"BUT I DID HEAR OF SOME BLUES IN THE AREA FOR A BIT ON FRIDAY SO THERE LIFE OUT THERE"

surferman
04-20-2015, 06:32 PM
Heard of a few cocktails in the atlantic city area out front.Not sure if true or not.

robmedina
04-21-2015, 06:41 AM
Heard of a few cocktails in the atlantic city area out front.Not sure if true or not. Nice!!!!!

SharkHart
04-22-2015, 03:13 PM
They are here - full on in inlets in next 48 hrs

fishinmission78
04-22-2015, 05:07 PM
^^^^^ spot on, someone got a 10 pounder in the back of barney bay last night. The invasion begins.

cowherder
04-22-2015, 05:21 PM
Awesome news gents thanks I'm pumped!!!!!!!!!

robmedina
04-23-2015, 08:08 AM
yeah baby..it's on!

ledhead36
04-23-2015, 04:04 PM
Their here. Didnt see any last night but a bud in staten island got one 8bs last night on bunker.

rockhopper
04-23-2015, 04:31 PM
hudson river report from the internet-
Well blue fish have moved in a 23 inch blue landed on bunker off beach Tuesday afternoon right after storm passed , almost dead low tide so better get the wire leaders

SharkHart
04-23-2015, 07:58 PM
guys i know got a good amount 6 lb class deep in barnaget bay

robmedina
04-23-2015, 09:59 PM
cant wait to get out there!

plugcrazy
04-24-2015, 04:21 PM
I had this theory that bluefish show up around the time that houseflies do. I haven't seen any houseflies this year. Has anyone else seen them yet?

fishinmission78
04-25-2015, 09:29 AM
Got into a mess this morning at sunrise. Back of barney bay. To 7lbs all skinny racers. White small versions of the polaris popper was getting them for me.

cowherder
04-25-2015, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the report! I think it should be happening in the rb too! I'm going out today and tomorrow to see if I can find some. Will post a report if I do. Good luck guys.
Here is a report from a rb charter boat-
"I almost forgot, we caught our first bluefish of the year today. I hope it was lost..."

robmedina
04-26-2015, 07:50 AM
Got into a mess this morning at sunrise. Back of barney bay. To 7lbs all skinny racers. White small versions of the polaris popper was getting them for me.
Let me ask you this- If I went out by the nuclear plant would I have had a better chance getting into them?

cowherder
04-26-2015, 08:10 AM
Last night no bluefish for me. I did see a very long bluefish about 37" long! It was skinny. The guy who got it said he got it on a clam and it weighed 15 lbs on his boga scale. So they are here. Hopefully more of them will start biting. I really want to catch some that size.

seamonkey
04-26-2015, 08:12 AM
That's what must be so great about fishing up there. I never see bluefish that size where I fish. Awesome report thanks for sharing.

fishinmission78
04-26-2015, 10:11 AM
Let me ask you this- If I went out by the nuclear plant would I have had a better chance getting into them?

Yes that general area. If you were on a kayak you could crush them. Even in the daytime. Think of the west side of the bay. Sedge area. Fish as the tide comes in. last 2 hours of on each side of high tide would be best.
The fish seem to be in water thats a little deeper not exactly on the shore. Either you have to do the tide thing or wade out. With a kayak that shouldn't be an issue. Paddle out till you start marking them on the ff and start casting poppers. They are usually only around for a few days or a week. Good luck if you do go.

SharkHart
04-26-2015, 11:43 AM

I highly suspect they are gone, they race right through the deep bay spots, yes some yak pictures hit the internet, but i have never seen the blues over a few pound sustain long in the barney. deep back

SharkHart
04-26-2015, 06:38 PM
Atlantic city inlet lots of reports going up shore and jetty guys

hookset
04-26-2015, 06:46 PM
same thing for manasquan river. BOOM! I know where I'll be fishing next few days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnvOyN5V51I

robmedina
04-26-2015, 08:00 PM
heard my favorite song today. Screaming reel by the yellow eyed demons! Caught 2 blues in the high 20" range. Trolling a sp minnow. They were spread out. I did not se any other kayaks or boats catching.

hookedonbass
04-28-2015, 04:59 PM
I had this theory that bluefish show up around the time that houseflies do. I haven't seen any houseflies this year. Has anyone else seen them yet?

Thats such a crazy thing because I havent seen any either! This winter must of been so cold they went into the deep freeze and got frozen forever. Have you gents seen flys around?

surferman
04-29-2015, 08:29 AM
I haven't seen a house fly or green head this year. Weird

storminsteve
04-29-2015, 08:23 PM
Got some blues today in rb.
and surferman I live in bergen county and saw a housefly today for the first time this spring. As for the greenheads I hate them suckers! i would be very happy if they went extinct over a long cold winter.

fishinmission78
05-02-2015, 07:33 PM
Lots of blues in the bb now. You can catch them every day early morning or end of day. To 14 pounds.

surferman
05-03-2015, 01:09 PM
YES YES! Thanks fnm and you other guys. there is some great monster blues in NJ right now. I drove all the way from cape may yesterday. I was standing on a dock in the barnegat bay with about 50 other guys. It was crowded but everyone was nice and polite and few tangles. Best bluefish catching from the shore that I have had in 15 years. Lost count after 20. Got blues up to 15 lbs woo hoo! I was using bucktail and pork rind. I did not think bluefish could shred pork rind but they did!
Thanks for all the reports and general info and John from Betty and Nicks. Get out there while it lasts gents. You are def lucky to have action close where you don't have to drive 80 miles to get to the fish. I have never seen blues like that from shore by us.

porgy75
05-03-2015, 09:06 PM
omg my arms are ready to fall off! Drove around the back part of raritan bay today. Heard of some great blues being caught. Fished for 3 hours and it was great. There was no bait in front of me but the blues were there. Everyone was hooking up. Metal diamond jigs and poppers. Some even hitting lures.

My biggest was about 33" I don't know how much pounds it weighed but it was faaaaaaaat. Got at least 22 or 25 I can't remember exactly. I didn't keep any but some guys were hauling them away by the coolerful. When you guys on here said your arms were tired I was sometimes jealous. Now I know the feeling and it was awesome! Get out there and catch them while its hot. Great day today.

robmedina
05-04-2015, 06:08 AM
Nice going gents. Yesterday was truly a special day!

J Barbosa
05-04-2015, 11:09 AM
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7687/16745731834_5fd6365744_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/rvLfEo)

surfstix1963
05-10-2015, 06:02 AM
Nice pic J..

rockhopper
05-21-2015, 02:11 PM
^^^^Yea that is a nice blue. Nice pic dude. This guy got one 39" near the bridge. Woo hoo they are big this year!

fishinmission78
05-23-2015, 02:35 PM
some of the nice blues they been getting in the park last few weeks. Its not always great. Today sucked for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjbj37YUjYA

fishinmission78
05-23-2015, 02:36 PM
another one 17lbs, nice fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egcLnsiDA00

basshunter
05-23-2015, 02:42 PM
Jesus those are some big gorillas!

baitstealer
08-07-2015, 04:58 PM
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7687/16745731834_5fd6365744_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/rvLfEo)

That is a beautiful bluefish pic he looks like a gator! Belmar boats are catching but they are not posting pics. They said blues and mackerel the thimble eye kind. I saw a few blues pics that looked like snappers about 10-12 inches. God I can't wait till the bigger ones come back in the fall.

ledhead36
08-08-2015, 03:52 PM
Bigger ones have returned. Just started getting them to 10lbs on bunker chunks this week in the back.

stripermania
08-09-2015, 06:32 AM
Thats hard to believe. The party boats are catching pee wee blues and macks. Most of the reports of the blues in the back they talk about cocktail blues as well. How come you are catching 10 blues and no one else is? No offense but are you weighing these fish? A 10 lb bluefish is pretty big. I mean if you are catching ones that big good for you. but the boats aren't even finding them!

DarkSkies
08-09-2015, 03:27 PM
Just to set the record straight here....if Led said he was catching bluefish to 10lbs, I'll stand up for his credibility.
Guys like him, finchaser, and some others here fish as much as 5 times a week. Finchaser is out there as much as twice a day if there is a chance of a bite, so you have to realize that people like this are more tuned in to any bite that may exist or develop, even an inconsistent one.

For example, there are some old timers I know who have access to restricted and limited access areas. When every one else was claiming there were no bluefish in the bay, they were catching large blues, albeit sporadically. The last report I got from them was they were getting blues on bunker at night from 7-12lbs.

I can also possibly help explain some of the confusion as to what the party/charter boats are catching, VS what some others are.

For some reason, there have been islolated bites of larger bass and blues through July and August in the NY Bight area....
Some bass to 32# were still being caught at night, as recently as last week.
However, the chances of finding those fish are very slim unless you're out there every night.
A party boat with 40 anglers on board is not likely to spend the time jumping from bunker pod to bunker pod to find some of these actively feeding isolated fish...

A good friend of mine totaled 8 bass to 35# from a NNJ beach, one night back in July....however he hasn't been able to repeat that action since...even with one fish......What's likely is that he lucked into a large bunch of fish that were feeding on the abundant bunker schools.....

The friends who are seeing large blues crash through the bunker schools nightly seem to echo the same thing...there may be 100 bunker schools out there.....and only a handful of them are holding any fish at all...

It really is slim pickins...I don't like to over-exaggerate or hype any kind of bite out there...For those who do catch....a lot has to do with dedication, frequency of trips out there...being prepared....and a little bit of luck....:thumbsup:

Just to give some perspective here.....some friends of mine were out the other night...it was hot and muggy out there...but the bunker schools were thick...they did manage to find a lot of blues to 12#...but haven't found any since....even for those who do try, the most frequent feedback is that it's very inconsistent.....no real pattern......

Hope that explains it a little better........:)
And we can all respect the tremendous time some of the members here put into targeting and finding larger fish....:HappyWave:

Here's one of the smaller bluefish they got and kept the other night....
Courtesy of Team TCB. :HappyWave:

ledhead36
08-10-2015, 08:40 AM
Thanks Rich. Yes we are out there a bunch. Seen a lot of peanuts lately too but not a lot on them except small snappers. When the water cools down it should be game on. For now these bigger blue devils are hitting chunks. When the peanuts start getting real thick at night we will be using them whole on the hook. They are good fluke bait too.

J Barbosa
08-10-2015, 10:10 AM
Thanks Rich. Yes we are out there a bunch. Seen a lot of peanuts lately too but not a lot on them except small snappers. When the water cools down it should be game on. For now these bigger blue devils are hitting chunks. When the peanuts start getting real thick at night we will be using them whole on the hook. They are good fluke bait too.

I believe you! LOL

I was snagging a few bunker for fluke bait and had a 6-8# bluefish chasing my 2# snagged bunker all the way back to the boat...I am shocked he wasn't able to catch it.

surfrob
08-10-2015, 11:57 AM
yes, even when the majority of big are out deep doing the jiggy every summer, there always seems to be a few bigger blues cruising the inlets and beaches. And, as stated, those really are only caught on chunks, just too few out there to be finding them plugging or on flies, especially with the ever increasing food supply this time of year. for those finding these on any consistent basis from the surf... all I can say is :headbang:

same goes with the resident stripers, there are some monsters that take up residence near inlet bridges. down here they are actually chasing 4-5 lb tog and sheepshead of all things. so, you go after them with live mullet, snappers (maybe depending on size), peanut bunker, plugs, flies, whatnot and it's tough, though the guys fishing for tog and sheeps *will* report seeing a monster bass follow their catch up... just getting them to take something seems to be an act left for Houdini.

jigfreak
08-12-2015, 09:24 PM
The party boats are catching pee wee blues and macks.

Still catching the pee wees. Todays report

Fishing for bluefish and mackerel was excellent again Wednesday .
We were chumming and caught the fish on jigs and bait.
At times we saw hundreds of fish swimming through the slick and read plenty on the scope.
This fishing is great for novices and children.
There is lots of action and they can easily handle the fish.

They can easily handle the fish means they are all snapper sized. Sweet jesus where are the big blues. Hoping and praying that the PBs run into some soon. reading these pee wee reports is getting darn depressing.

finchaser
08-13-2015, 09:37 AM
This morning 5 to 6:30 released 4 bass to 29" and 6 bluefish to 14#

Monty
08-13-2015, 09:46 AM
This morning 5 to 6:30 released 4 bass to 29" and 6 bluefish to 14#
Very nice, :HappyWave:, Big Blue:thumbsup:

VSdreams
08-13-2015, 02:24 PM
Wow awesome fishing and catching as well finchaser. Nice going.

robmedina
08-13-2015, 02:50 PM
Nice job! I will take that size bkuefush all day long!

fishinmission78
08-13-2015, 03:53 PM
Hoping and praying that the PBs run into some soon. reading these pee wee reports is getting darn depressing.

You know they are small when they don't post the pics anymore. Yikes. bigger blues than they are getting offshore getting caught in the surf at Seaside as reported by John from B&N.
UPDATED 6:09 AM Surf continues to improve with reports of 2 pound blues hitting bait in Seaside Park yesterday afternoon.

nitestrikes
08-25-2015, 04:14 PM
Still catching the pee wees.
They can easily handle the fish means they are all snapper sized. Sweet jesus where are the big blues. Hoping and praying that the PBs run into some soon. reading these pee wee reports is getting darn depressing.

Seems like there was an uptick in action today on one of the sheepshead bay party boats.

"Very very very good fishing on the Brooklyn Vi Today. Lots of fish in the 5 to 8 pound size. Some limits, everybody caught fish.
There were lots of fish , they re back from vacation."

cowherder
08-25-2015, 08:38 PM
Hoo rah! About time!:clapping::clapping:

7deadlyplugs
10-01-2015, 03:59 PM
Theyre getting some monsters on the north shore of LI. Saw this pic posted today guy said it was 38 inches.

baitstealer
10-01-2015, 04:01 PM
awesome gator congrats!

porgy75
10-02-2015, 09:34 AM
Wow what a slob look at the gut on that thing.

williehookem
10-02-2015, 02:06 PM
Nice work

plugcrazy
10-07-2015, 04:26 PM
Big blues are back! Both of the belmar bluefish boats reported blues 18-20lbs today and albacore. wonder how far out they were? I really hope those monsters come back into the surf for the fall run.

robmedina
10-08-2015, 10:13 AM
lets hope so. Gonna hit it from the yak on sunday.

basshunter
10-22-2015, 11:57 PM
I didn't think they were inshore. Thought it was all out at the reefs. Then I read this in the ristory report. 23lbs is a brute.
"The Tackle Box in Hazlet weighed in a huge 23 1/2-pound bluefish caught by Walter Fisher of Staten Island on a live bunker near Sandy Hook Channel."

finchaser
10-23-2015, 02:16 PM
My friend weighed in a 23# 15oz. blue he caught at the rocks on a bunker spoon also had a 21#

plugcrazy
10-23-2015, 04:19 PM
A bluefish that went almost 24 lbs???????
How long was that monster, 40 inches? I would hate to be a bunker when one of those bad boys came swimming by. Congrats to your friend.

VSdreams
10-23-2015, 05:29 PM
24 lb bluefish alert
Lock up your children, small dogs, cats, all uneaten hot dogs and ham sandwiches.:whoo:

cowherder
10-25-2015, 09:43 AM
finchaser if I could ask do you know the length of that 23 pounder? Have never seen a blue that big. The head and mouth must have been giant!

surfrob
10-28-2015, 07:05 AM
saw a pic of a recent surf caught 20lb class blue. night on bunker.

finchaser
10-29-2015, 12:28 PM
finchaser if I could ask do you know the length of that 23 pounder? Have never seen a blue that big. The head and mouth must have been giant!

Here you go fish was about 40" when it was weighed at Hoffmans

cowherder
10-29-2015, 02:51 PM
So literally according to the upper chart you posted that gorilla was the size of a baby/small shark and about 20 years old. Yikes!:scared:

7deadlyplugs
10-29-2015, 03:08 PM
Sorry for the thread hijack. When I read baby shark I was reminded of those dudes in Boston with the ocean sunfish. rofl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5KiJsrZrp8

surfstix1963
11-07-2015, 06:35 AM
Big bluefish caught and released 25 lbs. South shore Long Island photo by SJ.:thumbsup:

buckethead
11-07-2015, 07:56 AM
That is impressive thanks for sharing. Hope some of them hit NJ.

7deadlyplugs
11-08-2015, 08:01 AM
Wow that bluefish is a monster. Biggest one I ever seen from the surf! Congrats!

baitstealer
11-08-2015, 08:33 AM
That is no blue it it s saltwater alligator!:bigeyes:

strikezone31
11-09-2015, 02:36 PM
lol Able to eat small rodents and farm animals.

finchaser
11-09-2015, 06:10 PM
Bass and bunker are gone chased by big bluefish ( 12 to 20 pounds) everywhere from Mantoloking to LBI from the beach to 3 miles out.

lostatsea
11-10-2015, 07:35 AM
I cant believe these bruisers are on the beach again. Nice reports thanks for sharing.

fishinmission78
11-10-2015, 07:59 AM
He's right giant blues have invaded ocean county. A few buds were on the beach yesterday and they came in. Fat pigs with round football bellies.

cowherder
12-11-2015, 11:21 AM
A beauty bluefish caught in NJ waters this summer.:heart:

storminsteve
12-12-2015, 02:09 PM
Love the way she posed it she looks nekkid.

jigfreak
12-16-2015, 11:36 PM
Got some today on polaris poppers. To 15 lbs, they were chasing herring.

7deadlyplugs
12-17-2015, 04:55 PM
bluefish on herring in december. Sure there's no global warming?

J Barbosa
12-17-2015, 05:39 PM
Can't believe its 12/17 and we are talking about bluefish...!

surferman
12-18-2015, 08:40 AM
Look at the belly on this one. You northern guys are lucky with the December blues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r4tkowxRLU

7deadlyplugs
12-20-2015, 07:48 PM
Can't believe its 12/17 and we are talking about bluefish...!

This kayaker got some in NJ in the middle of November. Really jealous of you NJ folks. Also saw the video of all that bunker your bays were loaded!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DbYPsqVhzs

basshunter
03-09-2016, 10:18 PM
I got a bunch of poopers

sorry to hear that, have you tried Immodium?:)