PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Long Island Fishing Reports Thread

Monty
04-20-2015, 12:29 PM
Post them up here.

Congrats on getting out Nitestrikes and getting a bend in the rod for 2015. My first trip is next Saturday night, looking forward to hitting the beach again.

I fished 2 times this weekend friday and sunday towards the top of the tide. Ocean side. Friday I picked up one runt on a bucktail and pork. Sunday it was windier and cold. Nothing for me.

DarkSkies
04-22-2015, 08:46 AM
[White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)

Future Long Islander :laugh: ]

Hold everything.....someone clued me in to Monty's change in TagLine....

Surfstix...if you read this...
Don't put your house on the market.....

Talked to Monty last night....
He has finally gone off the edge.....
He was mumbling something about buying your house....and sweetening the deal by overpaying and throwing in about 5 k worth of useless big wood and 12" sluggos he has lying around.....;)

I think we have a live one here....:ROFLMAO
Reach out to him...add another 10k to the asking price.....
I think he may just bite.....he's so hooked he was mapping out LIRR and LIE commuting routes to me last night....:kooky:
He is totally in LI already....
No hope for him at all.....

Call him up while he's still hot on the deal....
Might work out for the both of ya's...:HappyWave:

Monty
04-22-2015, 09:54 AM
[White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)

Future Long Islander :laugh: ]
Hold everything.....someone clued me in to Monty's change in TagLine....

Surfstix...if you read this...
Don't put your house on the market.....

Talked to Monty last night....
He has finally gone off the edge.....

Dark, snap out of it!!! Back to reality!!!!
This thread is a serious Long Island Reports thread.
Please only post reports here or I will need to take some sort of action.

Post Long Island/NJ non reports stuff here http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?10004-2015-LI-Fishing-Reports-NJ-Can-S**K-it!

Long Island Reports only going further on this thread :headbang: (you jerseyites are just out of control sometimes).

rockhopper
04-23-2015, 04:40 PM
Fished the ss last nite near a popular inlet. Thought it would be crawling with rat bass. According to my logs its a good spot for the 3rd week of april which we are in now. The wind was tough though almost wanted to quit and give up. did manage to fish for almost an hour. Got one runty bass quick release. Bucktail and pork.

Monty
04-26-2015, 04:02 PM
Fished the sound for the first time this morning 1:00 to 7:30.
In mid season form, missed a hit on a bucktail and another on a rebel.
Skunk on my first trip of 2015, was great getting out and checking out new water.
Beautiful night, covered a good amount of beach.
Saw many small pods of bunker, even foul hooked one.

DarkSkies
04-26-2015, 04:32 PM
^Monty...I have to give you credit for going out and trying places you have never been to before....
Nice job, at least you tried an unknown area.....

Without running to a place where there was a facebook fishing report from..
Without chasing reports...
Without even having the slightest clue as to the water and structure you'll be facing other than a quick scan on Google Earth....

Yes I will still bust your balls about abandoning NJ...
But have to give you respect for your Nomad Spirit....:clapping: :clapping: :thumbsup:
I am ready to turn over my Nomad title to you...

The first time you do an overnight in your vehicle...and eat yesterday's sammich for breakfast.....I will abdicate my title and hand it over.....:kooky:
You don't even have to nap in a porto john to qualify.

What do ya say, Pal?
Are you up for it?
:laugh: :HappyWave:

surfrob
05-01-2015, 10:53 AM
so what's better for early July fishing? Jones Beach or Robert Moses SP?

ones, like, 20 minutes from where I sit, and the other 30 (as the crow flies... or at 4AM, any other time of day probably 2 hrs each way)

surfstix1963
05-03-2015, 04:58 AM
Summer doldrums warm water I'd work the inlets on the first two hours of incoming.The earlier the better before the crowds hit the beach and scare everything out of there.SP is a zoo in July,Moses you may get lucky depends on the access.Don't fish Jones so can't help you out there.State access for Gilgo is a better shot.

surfrob
05-03-2015, 06:51 AM
Thanks, I'll have to decipher what you said havin NO familiarity with this area.

One surprise is to read the words "summer doldrums" about early July fishing.

williehookem
05-03-2015, 12:44 PM
Summer doldrums warm water I'd work the inlets on the first two hours of incoming.The earlier the better before the crowds hit the beach and scare everything out of there.SP is a zoo in July,Moses you may get lucky depends on the access.Don't fish Jones so can't help you out there.State access for Gilgo is a better shot.

Good advice. Spot on I agree.

williehookem
05-03-2015, 12:45 PM
Fished the SS yesterday 6-8:30pm. Picked up 2 runts on clams. There was a few other caught up and down the beach. Mostly about 1 hour before sunset. Slow pick but they are there. Tight lines fellas.

Monty
05-03-2015, 01:06 PM
Fished Long Island Sound 1:00 - 9:00 this morning.
Ka-Skunked big time.
Saw no bait, water felt very cold.
Had weeds on the ebb and water was murky on the flood.
Great night out, excellent casting practice, lots of exercise walking.
O for 2 trips for 2015 so far. I should be in decent shape physically if I ever catch a fish again.
May head out front next trip, miss the white water......my bath tub has more wave action than the sound.
Decent sunrise.

http://i2.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_5_3_SR1.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

nitestrikes
05-03-2015, 01:20 PM
O for 2 trips for 2015 so far. I should be in decent shape physically if I ever catch a fish again.
May head out front next trip, miss the white water......my bath tub has more wave action than the sound.
Decent sunrise.

http://i2.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_5_3_SR1.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

The sound is different than other places to the south. You have the western shores which are very congested and urban. Little Neck Bay for example. great early season spot. Also can get very crowded and filled wth trash. The further east you go the less riff raff you will find. It is very peaceful fishing but all about the small bait. When the spearing and rainfish move through the fish move through with them. Also the cinder worm hatches can be exciting and frustrating unless you are a fly fisherman. Try not to think too much about white water. Think moving water current and structure. All those will help you. Enjoyed the report. I started fishing the sshore last week and have pulled in a few schoolies on buck and pork so far. I will not drive north to the sound till mid may. Maybe try one of the inlets next time. good luck

surfstix1963
05-04-2015, 02:22 AM
Another week or so the blues should be popping up in the back bays.

stripercrazy
05-04-2015, 11:21 AM
Spot on surfstix. They are just starting to show. Fished a wss beach yesterday afternoon. Got a mess of them up to 7 pounds on buck and pork. Incoming tide. One small striper too about 23". all released

blitzhunter
05-06-2015, 09:24 AM
Got some too. South shore near an intlet 6-8:30pm. Started using storm shads that was a big mistake. Switched to 1 oz with pork rind and it was a steady of pick until dark. Fish were close to the bottom. No bait or fish showing on top.

finchaser
05-06-2015, 05:25 PM
Fished Long Island Sound 1:00 - 9:00 this morning.
Ka-Skunked big time.
Saw no bait, water felt very cold.
Had weeds on the ebb and water was murky on the flood.
Great night out, excellent casting practice, lots of exercise walking.
Decent sunrise.

Never leave fish (NJ) to find fish:HappyWave:

cowherder
05-06-2015, 06:55 PM

Ouch! Them's fighting words! In before the thread gets locked! I'll sell the popcorn.:HappyWave:

So true - just one question monty. I mean those sunrise pics are beautiful and all that but where are the fish on long island? We have gigaNDA BLUES here in NJ right now. Dude you really should check them out they are a lot of fun. My arms are still sore from last night. Getting ready to go out there again tonight. My .02 only

williehookem
05-06-2015, 07:20 PM
^^^^^ we we do have fish just a lot of small runts right now. The water is still cold. Another 2 weeks and it should be game on.

Monty
05-06-2015, 07:39 PM
:HappyWave:
Just looking for new water to fish, some people call it scouting...I am fishing...just not catching

Ouch! Them's fighting words! In before the thread gets locked! I'll sell the popcorn.:HappyWave:

So true - just one question monty. I mean those sunrise pics are beautiful and all that but where are the fish on long island? We have gigaNDA BLUES here in NJ right now. Dude you really should check them out they are a lot of fun. My arms are still sore from last night. Getting ready to go out there again tonight. My .02 only
I am pretty confident I'll get into some Gators sometime this year. Had them multiple times on LI last year.
Glad you guys are having a great time with them.
Enjoying my time out there finding new locations and getting lots and lots of exercise. Will start catching soon.......I think :)

^^^^^ we we do have fish just a lot of small runts right now. The water is still cold. Another 2 weeks and it should be game on.
Looking forward to another fun year on The Island

surfstix1963
05-10-2015, 05:15 AM
Inlets and back bays should have some fish in certain areas now.I'm not fishing right now so I'm going on memory which isn't so great anymore.One bridge out in the easterly direction should have blues on the incoming early a.m. popping plugs will do the job white or silver in color usually, pink if the squid are in the bay.The area can be crowded though but everyone can work in sync together for the most part.

surfstix1963
05-10-2015, 05:35 AM
RM is generally a bait spot in July 4wd permit needed.SP I'm referring to Smiths Point further east of RM Just a hangout in the Summer out front due to their day tripping permits it is an early a.m. spot and then get out of there or hit the inlet,I'll take that beach over Montauk any day in the fall Suffolk County green key and 4wd permit required.All access is dependent upon our little bird friends nesting
Thanks, I'll have to decipher what you said havin NO familiarity with this area.

One surprise is to read the words "summer doldrums" about early July fishing.

Monty
05-10-2015, 12:02 PM
Fished ocean side this AM from 1:15-9:00.
Absolutely crazy fog, got lost for a bit out there :huh: ....maybe longer than a bit...sand moved around big time from last year, missed the area I was looking for (walked right by it) which led to a weird hour plus of "where the f*** am I.
Only managed one short bass on a loaded red fin around 1:30.
Did not see any bait.
Was great being out there, especially good when the sun came up and could actually get an idea of what was out there and what the structure looks like this year.:wow:

surfrob
05-11-2015, 12:39 PM
RM is generally a bait spot in July 4wd permit needed.SP I'm referring to Smiths Point further east of RM Just a hangout in the Summer out front due to their day tripping permits it is an early a.m. spot and then get out of there or hit the inlet,I'll take that beach over Montauk any day in the fall Suffolk County green key and 4wd permit required.All access is dependent upon our little bird friends nesting

gotcha... thanks for the clarifications!

surfstix1963
05-11-2015, 03:52 PM
Got caught in the RM fog?
Fished ocean side this AM from 1:15-9:00.
Absolutely crazy fog, got lost for a bit out there :huh: ....maybe longer than a bit...sand moved around big time from last year, missed the area I was looking for (walked right by it) which led to a weird hour plus of "where the f*** am I.
Only managed one short bass on a loaded red fin around 1:30.
Did not see any bait.
Was great being out there, especially good when the sun came up and could actually get an idea of what was out there and what the structure looks like this year.:wow:

Monty
05-11-2015, 04:07 PM
Got caught in the RM fog?

Caught....displaced..yes.
Was confused when the wave action was behind me when I had not walked around the end. At least I did not think I did. Weird fishing trip.
:ROFLMAO

surfstix1963
05-12-2015, 01:06 AM
yeah crazy place in the fog I've ended up walking and ended up on the bay side a few times haven't seen it over there this year been down south house shopping and visiting my BIL in the hospital.

nitestrikes
05-14-2015, 12:46 PM
Picked up a few schoolies bucktailing a ss inlet from 3:30-5:30 am today. Also 2 large blues in the 10pound class.

nitestrikes
05-14-2015, 12:47 PM
yeah crazy place in the fog I've ended up walking and ended up on the bay side a few times haven't seen it over there this yea.

Fog has been very intense the last week.

Monty
05-17-2015, 04:15 PM
Well....fished from 1:15-10:30 this morning.
Out front until 8:30, not a touch.
Water really got cloudy on the incoming.
And then the fog rolled in :wheeeee:
Was about ready to call it a trip, but tried an area on the back side for 30 minutes, nothing.
One more try at another backside spot and FINALLY I get a few blues, landed 7 between 28 and 32 inches.
Was great getting a nice bend in the rod, love catching blues this size. Didn't see any bait the whole trip.

Here is a pic of a Blue on one of Rip-Pluggers metal lips. Always more fun on catching on a friends plug.

http://i0.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_5_17_HH_1.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

williehookem
05-17-2015, 05:00 PM
Nice looking blue. They are all over now good to bend the rod. Can't wait for some stripes too.

williehookem
05-23-2015, 03:56 AM
Got tired of waiting for the striper and got into some nice bluefish right before dark SS inlet. No bait showing at all but the blue devils were there. Pulled a bakers dozen to 10lbs on tins and buck and pork. Lots o fun.

Monty
05-24-2015, 05:47 PM
Fished this morning from 1:00 to 8:00 with a friend.
First on the back side until 4:30 or so.
New water for us, managed one 30" blue on a SS bottle.
Moved around to front for first light, got a short bass on the same SS bottle.
Then some blue action for a few hours, wind a bit in the face, nice looking water, needed to be out on the bar to get to them.
I got 3 more, he landed at least 8. They were 25" to 35", on poppers and darters mostly. Droped and missed some.
Lots of fun out there, had the beach to ourselves, great time.
Clean cool white water :)

J Barbosa
05-24-2015, 09:44 PM
Nice action Monty.

I have a blue superstrike bottle plug that I have owned for like 10 years now and never caught a fish on it.

I think it's cursed!

DarkSkies
05-25-2015, 09:02 AM
^ Yes those SS bottles are definitely cursed, JB. You probably got a defective run from the factory. ;)
They have bad mojo. The best thing to do is take every one that you have...box it up...and send it to me....I will make sure I dispose of them properly for ya.....:HappyWave:

Nice work Monty....glad to hear you guys got into some fish....:thumbsup: :fishing: :HappyWave:

finchaser
05-25-2015, 11:40 AM
No disrespect but that doesn't look like a SS bottle plug:HappyWave:

Monty
05-25-2015, 12:42 PM
Nice action Monty.
I have a blue superstrike bottle plug that I have owned for like 10 years now and never caught a fish on it.

Nice work Monty....glad to hear you guys got into some fish....
Was fun, wasn't like every cast was a Blue, had to work a bit for them (which makes it better). Tried different plugs and metal, my friend had a Choopy pink darter, it seemed that was easily the hottest plug.
I have been using the SS bottle more (since late last year especially), its been catching a few fish since I started using it (obviously it was useless when I left it home).

No disrespect but that doesn't look like a SS bottle plug:HappyWave:
That's a rip-plugger plug, pic from previous weekend.
Hope all is well, you doing any fishing?
Hope you aren't on the Darskies one way trip to Uranus Hiatus.

finchaser
05-25-2015, 03:37 PM
Was fun, wasn't like every cast was a Blue, had to work a bit for them (which makes it better). Tried different plugs and metal, my friend had a Choopy pink darter, it seemed that was easily the hottest plug.
I have been using the SS bottle more (since late last year especially), its been catching a few fish since I started using it (obviously it was useless when I left it home).

That's a rip-plugger plug, pic from previous weekend.
Hope all is well, you doing any fishing?
Hope you aren't on the Darskies one way trip to Uranus hiatus.

A little here and there I fished in our club tournament and caught a 16# bass in the rain the Thursday night

DarkSkies
05-26-2015, 08:42 AM
^ And I think he might have caught that bass while we were fishing together. ;) :HappyWave:

plugginpete
06-02-2015, 07:45 AM
Fished backside of a ss inlet this morning. Waves out front were too gnarly with the east wind. Picked up a handful of cocktail blues. Pig and jig combo.

7deadlyplugs
06-04-2015, 04:27 PM
Fished jbay Some wind but fishable. Got into some good blues up to 10pounds. Polaris popper. Also one short striper. Was the 1st fish caught. Then I think the stripers got out of there because the bluefish were bigger and hungry lol. Fished from 6-8.

7deadlyplugs
06-04-2015, 04:29 PM

Nice report. I like the polaris popper. I see in your reports you use the SS bottle a lot. Do you think either of them is a better fish catcher? thanks

rockhopper
06-07-2015, 09:34 AM
wss in the dark. 3 runt bass to 26" on bucktail and chartreuse grub. A few blues too. These bass and blues were not that big but pretty round. Feeding well.

Monty
06-11-2015, 03:59 PM
Nice report. I like the polaris popper. I see in your reports you use the SS bottle a lot. Do you think either of them is a better fish catcher? thanks

Been using them to get down further in the water calm. I still like that popper a lot too.
Fished out on the Island 4 trips last two weeks (latest trip yesterday), mid island, sound, out front. Just blues. Few around 30 inches and some cocktails.
Bigger ones have been in the dark on Bucktail with pig and the SS bottle.
Friend got a bass lust short of 28 inches last Sunday on a teaser in the sound. Then we each had a few robins too. Having a verty tough time finding stripes.

surfstix1963
06-13-2015, 03:24 AM
The striper bite has been better at night.Mornings have been slow so I'm told by my informants.I'm packed up for the move soon so I'm not out there.

Monty
06-14-2015, 03:32 PM
Fished way out there this morning (2:00-8:00) and could only manage one short on a top water waverly first sign of light.
Couple bumps.
Nice night out there, lots of weeds in close the whole trip, covered a couple miles.

http://i0.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_6_14_sr.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

buckethead
06-16-2015, 09:08 AM
Fantastic sunrise pic monty.

Monty
06-21-2015, 04:27 PM
Fantastic sunrise pic monty.

Thanks,
Took the long ride again and fished from 2:00 to 8:00 this morning.
Some lightening, otherwise nice night to fish, but again just one short bass on a teaser.
Nice conditions with the overcast morning. Some muck spread out in the water.

http://i1.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_6_21_B5.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

williehookem
06-22-2015, 03:37 PM
Fished the wss for sunrise on fathers day. Picked up 2 cocktail blues on a tin. monty that stuff on the beach looks like mung. How far out east were you?

nitestrikes
06-23-2015, 10:10 PM
Yes I agree the stuff at the bottom of the pic looks like mung. Very slow on the ss for this time of year. Been picking up a few fish here and there in the back bays. About 90% blues.

Monty
06-23-2015, 10:29 PM
Fished the wss for sunrise on fathers day. Picked up 2 cocktail blues on a tin. monty that stuff on the beach looks like mung. How far out east were you?
At the end, just left of the light, wasn't atrocious, have had it a lot worse there.

rockhopper
07-02-2015, 01:44 PM
Fished SS from 5-7 a today. Conditions were fantastic, overcast and good water not too many weeds. One blue on pencil popper. Saved me from the skunk. Was hoping for some striped pajamas. Next time maybe.

Monty
07-04-2015, 04:43 PM
Fished 1:00 to 8:00 this morning, SS short drive. Nothing going this trip. Lots of eel grass and other stuff in the water. Fished bay side first, saw a decent swirl and stayed there to long. Then ocean side and just could not fish like I intended too. My plan was lousy for the conditions this trip, fish and learn. Was a bit of a zoo out there. Blurry Pic with the lights is 2:30 AM, base of jetty and with "music" playing.

http://i0.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/2015_7_4_SR.jpg?fit=810%2C810

http://i1.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/2015_7_4_Green_Stuff.jpg?fit=810%2C810

http://i1.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/2015_7_4_Demo_Jetty_Lights.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

7deadlyplugs
07-05-2015, 04:26 PM
That eel grass sucks this time of year. When I come across it its a bummer. The best I can say is keep moving until there is less of it in front of you. Fishing report, fished the ss this am from 5-7, notta.

nitestrikes
07-10-2015, 11:37 AM
Fished css near an inlet this morning. Skunk.
Monty nice pics. The eel grass seems to be not as bad on the incoming tide but it has become a problem. I too will move when I run into a lot of it. There isn't much else you can do. Good luck.

rockhopper
07-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the report at least you tried.

Monty
07-12-2015, 02:19 PM
Took the loooong ride and fished ocean side this morning 2:30-8:30.
I'm definitely in mid-season form, my reflexes are like a rock.
Missed the first 4 hits, then lost a blue. Also slipped on rocks and ended up on may @ss in the wash......very refreshing at 4:00 AM (good thing the wader belt was tight).
Ended up with 5 blues between 25 and 33 inches on loaded Tsunami pencil and a SS popper between 6:15 and 8:30. Top water action was fun, most action was on long casts.
Walked about a mile and half. Most of the water had weeds in close and water a bit murky. But where I ended up the water was crystal clear (amazing difference).

porgy75
07-12-2015, 10:18 PM
Awesome to hear about the big blues I think they have disappeared from new jersey. Party boats had all pee wees this week.

BassBuddah
07-14-2015, 08:40 AM
Nice report. Have been fishing SS and out east for the last few weeks. Nothing real big. A few bass to mid teens on moon tides. Very very slow season.

Monty
07-19-2015, 03:58 PM
Ocean side this morning 2:00 to 8:00.
Had a great time, lost a nice bass on a 7" weighted Tsunami eel around 3:45, lost another bass around 4:15 on a small metal lip (I am in serious mid-season form).
Then Finally landed some schoolies up to around 28 inches.
Ended up with 8 (3 on a Waverer, 2 on Super Strike Popper, 1 on Super Strike darter, a floating needle and white Hogy.
Lots of action (mostly top water),easily lost 5 fish and missed a bunch of hits. All action was in two spots and all of it was in WHITE WATER.
Wish I would have caught the first fish, but was a adrenalin rush with the strong run.

http://i0.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/2015_7_19_Water_4.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

cowherder
07-19-2015, 06:54 PM
All bass thats awesome! Nice job monty. Any blues in the mix?

Monty
07-19-2015, 08:12 PM
All bass thats awesome! Nice job monty. Any blues in the mix?
Last week it was all blues (5), this week it was the bass in the white water.
Lots of fun both weeks.
Last week I fell in backwards, this week I fell in forwards.....its treacherous.....and I'm clumsy.
Next week should be interesting....hopefully its not no fish and no falling.

buckethead
07-19-2015, 10:10 PM
Nice going sounds fantastic. Almost a dream compared to NJ.

DarkSkies
07-20-2015, 08:04 AM

Stay tuned folks....the next episode of Monty's Whitewater adventures might have Monty, JBarbosa, and I out there in wetsuits looking to see if there are any great white sharks cruising beyond the white water breakers of the south shore. :laugh: :scared: :HappyWave:

You put in a lot of weekends fishing different water, pal.
More effort than most would want to...and it finally paid off.....:thumbsup::clapping:
Great stories and report....glad to hear ya found some fish....:fishing:

williehookem
07-20-2015, 09:21 AM
Guys don't do it I would be careful if I were you these sharks are no joke! They closed Jones last week cause of a shark past the breakers.
http://patch.com/new-york/wantagh/shark-spotted-jones-beach

J Barbosa
07-20-2015, 10:21 AM
Last week it was all blues (5), this week it was the bass in the white water.
Lots of fun both weeks.
Last week I fell in backwards, this week I fell in forwards.....its treacherous.....and I'm clumsy.

I've ruined two phones falling in.

Think of it this way at least this time of year it probably felt great!

BassBuddah
07-20-2015, 11:38 AM
Good job. I have slacked off because of the weed in the surf. Some friends are doing well in the rips at night out east.

nitestrikes
07-20-2015, 03:35 PM
Stay tuned folks....the next episode of Monty's Whitewater adventures might have Monty, JBarbosa, and I out there in wetsuits looking to see if there are any great white sharks cruising beyond the white water breakers of the south shore. :laugh: :scared: :HappyWave:

You put in a lot of weekends fishing different water, pal.
More effort than most would want to...and it finally paid off.....:thumbsup::clapping:
Great stories and report....glad to hear ya found some fish....:fishing:

You guys want to wet suit it go to cuttyhunk in august. More rocks than you can walk on for the rest of your lives. The bite has dropped out there from what it used to be. The tackle shop owner in the video says it's the bunker migration and fish are moving differently. Thinking about the migration and how the fish move through the canal that doesn't make sense. They have to pass the island every spring and fall. I haven't been there in about 5 or 6 years. I do remember some good times about 10 years ago. 20-30 fish a night high teens and better. This SJ video gives you a little flavor. enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9fq4cDowtw

nitestrikes
07-20-2015, 03:37 PM
btw monty nice reports. There are a few fish around here and there. I have been fishing some of the inlets on the right tides. Really have to try to plan to avoid the weed. Good work on your part though.

rockhopper
07-20-2015, 04:23 PM
Holy moly that is an awesome video thanks for sharing. Nice work on the bass to monty.

Monty
07-26-2015, 05:12 PM
Fished this morning with a friend ocean side out east 2:30-9:30.
Around 3:30 I picked up a 31 inch bass on a Tsunami weighted eel. Then no action until around 6:30 picked up a blue on a Wally floating needle ~6 pounds.
My friend found some bass in a cove on small bait and got one on a white teaser, then i picked up 3 (2 on that olive /white needle and the other on the Waverer), they were between 20 and 28 inches. He picked up a 26 inch bass out of the white water on a white teaser around 8:00.
Great time, and I took my weekly tumble in the water (refreshing), covered over a mile and half of water.

surfstix1963
07-27-2015, 07:36 AM
Good day by todays standards

cowherder
07-27-2015, 04:47 PM
Nice going monty. what is a wally floating needle if I could ask?

Monty
07-27-2015, 09:26 PM
Nice going monty. what is a wally floating needle if I could ask?

Thanks.
Its a 6" 1 1/4 oz floating needle (olive/white under belly).
Casts nice.
I give it a twitch and slow retrieve.
Strikes were explosive.

http://i2.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_7_26_SB_2.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

Monty
08-09-2015, 04:24 PM
Back out east, fished 2:30-8:00 this morning.
A bit weedy, but very fishable, nice night.
Missed a hit on a 5 1/2" Hell Cat around 3:45 then caught a Bass on a loaded gold/black red fin, around 28 inches.
Then around 6:15 picked up a bass around 22/24 inches on the RM Smith Waverer.
30 Minutes later hooked into a Bass on a Surf Asylum Darter lost it as was getting close to landing.....not close enough.
First time for me in a wet suit :idea:
If you hear of a seal flopping around out east, it was more than likely me.
Worked out well, my last two trips out there I was percolating in my waders. The wet suit kept the overheating down, moving around a bit easier. Covered 1 1/2 miles of shore.
Fun time out there.

surfstix1963
08-11-2015, 08:14 AM
I knew he would be wet suiting it should have bet money on that one..Here comes skishing....

hookedonbass
08-11-2015, 08:31 AM
Nice report. Noticed a lot of smaller bait in the summer. Is that part of the strategy of using the 5 1/2" and smaller plugs? thanks

Monty
08-11-2015, 09:53 AM
I knew he would be wet suiting it should have bet money on that one..Here comes skishing....
LOL. I'm lovin the buoyancy

Nice report. Noticed a lot of smaller bait in the summer. Is that part of the strategy of using the 5 1/2" and smaller plugs? thanks
Kinda, the larger plugs were not getting any action so rotated to smaller.
I was there 2 weeks ago and there was small bait around, my friend caught a couple bass on teasers (I am not using teasers this year (at least planning on not using them)).
So I just rotated to small plugs this trip and after the Hell Cat got the hit I went to the small black/gold Red Fin which is likely my most productive plug over the year.
I don't fish it often enough and it gets action.

cowherder
08-12-2015, 08:17 AM

Nice report. Monty you were wetsuiting with all the rocks? Do you swim or wade when you get out there? do you skish as well?

Monty
08-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Nice report. Monty you were wetsuiting with all the rocks? Do you swim or wade when you get out there? do you skish as well?
I wade out a bit in spots, will jump up on a rock (sometimes), Would never skish, don't have the canucks to do that.
The wet suit actually kept me cooler on this trip, waders were hot on the recent trips. Between walking to a spot and back I do 3-4 miles and tend to get hot and don't want to get dehydrated, can only carry so much water.
The wetsuit also made it easier wading out and taking a wave. I'm liking it. And....this is all new to me so I'm just winging it out there.

J Barbosa
08-12-2015, 12:42 PM
What do you do when its time to pee...?

Monty
08-12-2015, 12:58 PM
I got the 2 piece type. I have a zipper. Its awesome :viking:.

Monty
08-16-2015, 04:16 PM
Fished from 2:30-8:00 this morning out east.
Chalk this trip's results to me being a banana head.
Had decent action, my results were not up to the action.
Picked up a short bass around 3:15 on the gold/black loaded red fin.
Then before sunrise I lost a fish on the red fin and then again on a wooden darter.
And for the trip I missed at least a half dozen hits with my rock like reflexes.
Fun trip with the action and getting use to the wetsuit fishing.
Not a lot of white water this trip.

http://i1.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_8_16_SRA.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

Monty
08-18-2015, 06:42 PM
Another trip out east this morning.
Hit the beach at 2:00 am, lots of walking and and caught a short on a white Mambo Minnow around 3:00.
Missed a couple hits and then ~4:30 picked up another short on a bomber.
Then between 5:00 and 6:00 I put on an unbelievable display of Fish Conservation.
I missed 5 straight casts with hits on the floating Larry Needle.
Lost 4 fish that had rod bent for a few seconds, one had the drag peeling nicely.
Missed many, many hits.
Did manage 4 more bass, 1 each on a bucktail (no pork!), Jigsmith spook, Waverer and the Orca.
Action stopped sometime around 6ish. Lots of fun......the action was very enjoyable. All of it was in white water.
Bass were from ~20 inches to ~27 inches.

http://i2.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_8_18_SB_Orca.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

nitestrikes
08-18-2015, 07:43 PM
Nice work. Are those the tactical anglers clips you're using?

Monty
08-18-2015, 07:57 PM
Nice work. Are those the tactical anglers clips you're using?
Breakaway Clips, the fast links. Been using hem for 10 years maybe? I think they were the first ones available, years before the Tactical Clips and other similar ones.

storminsteve
08-18-2015, 07:57 PM
Then between 5:00 and 6:00 I put on an unbelievable display of Fish Conservation.
I missed 5 straight casts with hits on the floating Larry Needle.
Lost 4 fish that had rod bent for a few seconds, one had the drag peeling nicely.
Missed many, many hits.

unbelievable display of fish conservation lol! Funny way to put that. I usually call it googan or user error! They really must have been stacked like cordwood. Nice report and pic. You should call that place pebble beach!

Monty
08-18-2015, 08:12 PM
unbelievable display of fish conservation lol! Funny way to put that. I usually call it googan or user error! They really must have been stacked like cordwood. Nice report and pic. You should call that place pebble beach!

It goes without saying it was major user error :HappyWave:
Had the waves coming in from the south and the current strong moving east.....Wave period was extremely short......A little wind in my face.....Just don't think I was tight enough to the plugs. Lots of hits early on the retrieve. With all the action in that hour when I looked back and only landed 4 fish in that time I was surprised. Was lots of fun, wasn't frustrated, was a good time to try some different plugs out with fish around.

storminsteve
08-19-2015, 11:02 AM
Cool beans congrats on the catching.

DarkSkies
08-21-2015, 08:52 AM
Back out east, fished 2:30-8:00 this morning.
A bit weedy, but very fishable, nice night.
Missed a hit on a 5 1/2" Hell Cat around 3:45 then caught a Bass on a loaded gold/black red fin, around 28 inches.
Then around 6:15 picked up a bass around 22/24 inches on the RM Smith Waverer.
30 Minutes later hooked into a Bass on a Surf Asylum Darter lost it as was getting close to landing.....not close enough.
First time for me in a wet suit :idea:
If you hear of a seal flopping around out east, it was more than likely me.
Worked out well, my last two trips out there I was percolating in my waders. The wet suit kept the overheating down, moving around a bit easier. Covered 1 1/2 miles of shore.
Fun time out there.

LOL. I'm lovin the buoyancy

I wade out a bit in spots, will jump up on a rock (sometimes), Would never skish, don't have the canucks to do that.
The wet suit actually kept me cooler on this trip, waders were hot on the recent trips. Between walking to a spot and back I do 3-4 miles and tend to get hot and don't want to get dehydrated, can only carry so much water.
The wetsuit also made it easier wading out and taking a wave. I'm liking it. And....this is all new to me so I'm just winging it out there.

I got the 2 piece type. I have a zipper. Its awesome :viking:.

I promised Monty I wouldn't bust his balls (that much....:laugh: )......so just a few light hearted jabs....
I agree it's only a matter of time before he's skishing out there......
Only time will tell.....but I think Surfstix called it...:thumbsup:

Bill W out on a rock 100 yards offshore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5hIiL2W-s8

Frank Blasko skishing -
I could text him and tell him you want to skish in his waters...but I gotta warn ya he's one of the rudest and crudest ballbusters around.......what you see is what you get.....also one of the best fishermen I know....:thumbsup: :HappyWave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t--USl_jy8

DarkSkies
08-21-2015, 08:59 AM

That's JB for ya.....descending from a long line of ball busters....but with a reasonable question.....I might have asked that one as well....:cool: :HappyWave:
Monty we bust your balls because we like ya......if we didn't we wouldn't waste time on it....
Besides....I already told ya the other day it's my mission in life to irritate ya every day.....if I can....
I know you'll miss it when I'm dead.....:ROFLMAO :HappyWave:

Moving on from that....
Once you have been fishing awhile, the areas you are most familiar with can become easy.....a little boring....when you figure the patterns...

A good fisherman keeps challenging himself.....by raising the bar...travelling to different places....trying new things....
So despite my good natured ball busting....
Monty has done that here....he's paid his dues....
And challenges himself each time......:learn: :fishing: :HappyWave:
Congratulations on an action filled trip, Pal.......well-done......:thumbsup: :clapping:

Monty
08-21-2015, 03:24 PM
Urghh, cat just erased my report.
Report Deuce.
Fished this morning from 2:30-7:30.
Started off with a 45 minute walk.
Then around 4:00 picked up a Schoolie on a SS yellow/black needle.
Have not used a pencil popper much this year, around 6:15 on an After Hours pencil the plug get whacked, rod bent, I see a tail and the fish is gone...Normal
Then get a Schoolie on a Howdy around 6:30, just after that a swirl on the howdy, no contact.
Then at 6:50 a SS popper gets slammed by a 33" Blue. Great fun Fight.
That was it then.
Saw a shooting star (interrupted a cast).
One Giant Bolt of Lightening over the Ocean :whoo:

Fun trip.

Dark I will never skish, its more than enough for me to do my seal impression in the surf zone, on the other side of the bar would be no go for me.

http://i2.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_8_21_SR_1.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

Monty
08-23-2015, 06:16 PM
Fished this morning way out east...far as I could go from 2:30-7:30.
Had decided to take it a little easier this trip and had 3 places to choose from.
I picked the wrong one. Lots of weeds most of the tide. Covered a lot of water and could not find a hit.
Had great overcast conditions at daylight, saw 6 other guys fishing hard and did not see anyone hook up.
Fish and learn, I like the other 2 places better, choose the wrong reason to fish this place.
Still fun to be out there....back to work this week.....urghh

Monty
08-30-2015, 04:45 PM
Headed out east and fished from 2:30-8:30
Hustled and walked a bit further than usual and more spots.
Was a very bright night. Ended up with one Bass ~24 inches on a Shimano Orca around 5:00 AM in some nice white water.
Then around 8:00 had a nice blow up on Super Strike popper that did not get tight.

Sunrise
http://i0.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_8_30_SB_SR.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

Moonset
http://i1.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_8_30_SB_Moon.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

Bass has the distinction of being "The hardest I ever fished for one Bass".
http://i0.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_8_30_SB_Orca.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

plugginpete
08-31-2015, 07:43 AM
Bass has the distinction of being "The hardest I ever fished for one Bass".
http://i0.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_8_30_SB_Orca.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

Nice effort still beats the skunk. I fished fri night a few ss spots. One I got nothing but weeds on the outgoing full moon tide. Made a move a little west and got one blue about 7 lbs on an sp at the end of my 2nd cast. Thats all for me too better luck next time.

rockhopper
08-31-2015, 11:42 AM
You guys did better than me. Went out last nite the moon currents were still strong. Lots of weeds too. Only had a limited amount of time to be out and eventually just gave up.

nitestrikes
09-01-2015, 10:01 PM
Good work fellas. Have been getting out here and there. That weed was a problem for the full moon. Still managed to pull a few runts with a bucktail and pork. No keepers. This was from the SS.

Monty
09-06-2015, 06:34 PM
Headed out way east again, fished this morning 2:15- 9:00.
New area for me, fished with a friend, his first time there too.
Had a great time as usual when we fish.
We covered about a mile of beach, never saw any bait or birds working.
Around 4:30 I caught a 25 inch Bass on a SS Darter.
Then ~6:30 I picked up a ~36 inch bass on a Afterhours 8" Bunker Pencil.
Was my largest of year so far, nice fight and released as I have all fish this year.
Was bleeding a bit, swam off strong, gave it a chance.
We fished hard and that was all the action we had, still very fun time.
This area had nothing dead in it.

http://i2.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/2015_9_6_SB_SR1.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

DarkSkies
09-08-2015, 08:14 AM
Congrats on your nicest fish of the year. Persistence pays off. :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

J Barbosa
09-08-2015, 10:47 AM
Any signs of bluefish up there Monty?

Monty
09-08-2015, 12:23 PM
Any signs of bluefish up there Monty?

From what I have heard there are Gorillas on the North Side.
Have had the occasional blue on the south side.

stripercrazy
09-10-2015, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the report. I had some business out east last night so I made it out to the NS in the montauk area. Fished the last hour of daylight before dark with a pencil popper. Got a large blue about 11 lbs and a short bass about 7 lbs. Nothing else for me though I did see a lot of small bait in the water. It can only get better from here on out.

surfstix1963
09-11-2015, 04:57 AM
Have a great fall run guys.

rockhopper
09-12-2015, 01:41 PM
Fished SS hoping for a morning bite. Picked up 2 small schoolies on buck and rind.

rockhopper
09-12-2015, 01:41 PM
Hey surfstix I saw a post from you a while ago about moving from LI. Did you move yet? If so how is the fishing at your new crib? Good luck

Monty
09-12-2015, 02:45 PM
Have a great fall run guys.

Thanks Stix.
Hope you are enjoying your new local.

Monty
09-13-2015, 08:54 PM
Fished out East this morning from 2:15-8:30.
Strong easterly winds, water a little dirty with some weeds, very fishy looking.
One 22 inch bass on the orca and lost a nicer fish after a few solid runs just before landing on the RM Smith Waverer.
Couple hits and misses.
Good, fun, hard fishing trip. Was great fun fighting that larger fish.

Lotsa white water.
http://i2.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_9_13_DitchPlains.jpg

nitestrikes
09-15-2015, 10:22 AM
Got a few bass this morning. SS. All shorts to 24". White magnum swimmer with red head.

rockhopper
09-15-2015, 11:26 AM
Nice. I'll be fishing more starting this week hope to have a report for you guys soon.

J Barbosa
09-15-2015, 04:43 PM
Strong easterly winds, water a little dirty with some weeds, very fishy looking.
One 22 inch bass on the orca and lost a nicer fish after a few solid runs just before landing on the RM Smith Waverer.
Couple hits and misses.

Lotsa white water.
http://i2.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_9_13_DitchPlains.jpg

That is a beautiful picture. I can't believe you were not able to put more fish on the beach with that much white water!

robmedina
09-16-2015, 08:32 AM
Couple hits and misses.

Lotsa white water.

Nice structure. I wish our jersey beaches had some.

seamonkey
09-16-2015, 08:36 AM
Yeah they talk about how Jersey beaches are so appealing to tourists. They def ruined Cape may for fishing compared to how it was 15 years ago. It is slowly coming back with more structure. When they get done with monmouth county the tourists will love it but the sand will be gone in a a few years. Kill all the structrure until a noreaster comes and undoes that sand. What a waste of money.

surfstix1963
09-16-2015, 07:10 PM
Purchased the house but now my wife is having surgeries so still in NY.From what I understand the fishing is not that great in NC but I have my car to toy around with.

Hey surfstix I saw a post from you a while ago about moving from LI. Did you move yet? If so how is the fishing at your new crib? Good luck

nitestrikes
09-17-2015, 09:02 AM
Worked the water near a ss inlet today at false dawn. Picked up a handful of shorties. All released. Small poppers worked for me. As the light came into the sky a few others were having luck with tins. A few small blue fish as well. Good luck in the suds surfstix. We are poised for a good fall here.

Monty
09-20-2015, 07:21 PM
Fished out east this morning 2:00-8:30.
A major skunking. One bump early and that was it.
Saw some small bait, looked like spearing in the shallows.
Still a great time, when there was some light in the sky I pushed out on to a couple rocks (further than I had been going).
Next time will attempt to do it under darkness and likely a more turbulent surf :bigeyes:.

Couple pics

http://i1.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/2015_9_20_SR1.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

http://i2.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/2015_9_20_SR2.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

DarkSkies
09-21-2015, 11:13 AM
when there was some light in the sky I pushed out on to a couple rocks (further than I had been going).
Next time will attempt to do it under darkness and likely a more turbulent surf :bigeyes:.

http://i1.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/2015_9_20_SR1.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

http://i2.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/2015_9_20_SR2.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

Nice report, at least ya gave it your best shot.....:thumbsup:
I'll wager it won't be too long....before ya add swim fins to your gear...and start swimming out to those rocks at night....:HappyWave:

It's become very sporadic....but some of those rocks up there do have holes that hold bigger fish during certain parts of the tides....(just like the tips of many jetties in certain areas of NJ used to do)......before they were leveled and all life around them wantonly destroyed in the name of beach replenishment......:banghead2:

7deadlyplugs
09-21-2015, 02:42 PM
Awesome sunrise pic. Question do you ever use teasers or think they are a waste unless you are looking for false albacore?

Monty
09-21-2015, 03:40 PM
Awesome sunrise pic. Question do you ever use teasers or think they are a waste unless you are looking for false albacore?

When I found the spearing on this trip I tied on a teaser for a couple hours. Was the 2nd time this year I used teasers.
I used to use teasers at least 90 percent of the time, not any more. I have spent so much on plugs that if I am going to catch a fish it better be on one of the plugs not some dinky little teaser.

surfstix1963
09-23-2015, 06:52 AM
Fish are smaller year by year in the surf, smaller plugs are probably the answer nowadays.

7deadlyplugs
09-24-2015, 02:29 PM
Good point and thanks. I got a few runts this morning on the ss. The ole pig and jig. A little rough but fishable.

Monty
09-27-2015, 08:59 PM
Out east this morning 2:15 - 8:30.
Skunkcity. One hit around 3:00 and that was it.
On hit, strong east to west pull, but very fishable.
Glad September is over, my worst month (catching) since April, by far.

Thunderous surf at times and whitewater out the wazoo in some spots.

http://i1.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_9_27_Surf.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

http://i0.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_9_27_WW.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

storminsteve
09-28-2015, 10:03 AM
Glad September is over, my worst month (catching) since April, by far.

Thunderous surf at times and whitewater out the wazoo in some spots.http://i1.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_9_27_Surf.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

http://i0.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_9_27_WW.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

I haven't done that great in september. Maybe october will be the new september lol. I'm in a dead things slump too can't seem to find any. nice whitewater pics.

7deadlyplugs
09-30-2015, 08:23 PM
SS from 6-8pm. A little bit of weeds. Had to move down the beach. Managed 2 runts on a ball jig with white curly tail.

nitestrikes
10-01-2015, 12:00 PM
Fished out east last night. There was a strong sweep and it was a bit daunting. There were some nice stripers around. Picked up two that were 17 and 19 pounds. A few more shorts. All on yellow darter. all released.

plugginpete
10-01-2015, 12:38 PM
Nice! That's great news am headed out there now hope it's not too bad when I get there.

rockhopper
10-01-2015, 12:53 PM
Wow awsome report man! good luck Pete and be careful!

7deadlyplugs
10-01-2015, 03:57 PM
Outstanding report. I second that be careful the swells tonight are forecast to be above 10 feet.

Monty
10-04-2015, 05:12 PM
Congrats on the bass Nitestrikes.
I fished the Sound this morning 1:00-10:00.
Had the "breeze" kinda in my face the whole time.
Only picked up a short bass on SS bottle around 5:45 and a ~22 inch blue on a SS popper around 10:00.
Missed a few hits, tough keeping the line tight. Lotsa fun, covered a decent amount of beach, was happy just beating the skunk... and that my shoulder made it through 9 hours of punching Bucktails and SS plugs through the wind.

http://i2.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2014_10_4_SM0.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

rockhopper
10-05-2015, 03:46 PM
I went to mecca on sunday night. wind still bad and water dirty. Heard of some large caught. Always with the should have been here yesterday stories loi. I got bubkus. Will try again this week. Looks like the water is cleaning up a bit.

robmedina
10-06-2015, 01:53 PM
Is it worth hitting this weekend?

plugginpete
10-06-2015, 03:27 PM
Buddy of mine was there Sunday morning. He saw a few fishing and only one bigger bass caught around 25 pounds. A few schoolies too. The bite was centered around sunrise and dropped off after. Is it worth it? If you're the guy that got the 25 pounder you would think so. The other guys - eh not to much. I say it's always worth it when you lay your cards out there. By this weekend it should be clean and full of bait. crowded too so get there early and claim your rock in the dark. Bring plenty of bucktails.

robmedina
10-07-2015, 07:35 AM
buddy and I are contemplating on camping out. May bring the kayaks....

williehookem
10-11-2015, 04:16 AM
Dude hope you made it up there it has been on fire. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to drive all the way to the point last night so I opted closer to home. Fished the ss. Weeds were a problem at one spot. Had to maneuver a bit. On the beginning of the incoming it turned around for a few stripers. Got 3 runts using a needle fish and teaser. 2 hit the teaser 1 hit the needle fish. Tight lines fellas.

williehookem
10-11-2015, 04:17 AM
Fished out east last night. There was a strong sweep and it was a bit daunting. There were some nice stripers around. Picked up two that were 17 and 19 pounds. A few more shorts. All on yellow darter. all released.

Nice report love the yellow darter! Also have done good with yellow needle fish. The sand eels are here boys let's hope they stay.

Monty
10-11-2015, 09:19 PM
Short trip (distance) to LI this trip this morning.
Fished 1:00-10:00.
Weather was way to nice, ~1 foot waves.
Small bait being harassed in a few areas.
Lots of guys out fishing, saw 1 small blue caught.
All I could manage was a 28 inch bass around 7:30 on a Tsunami Popper.
Water was clean, just a few weeds and seems to be cooling off.
Nice night and good time.

rockhopper
10-12-2015, 11:39 AM
Fished out east last night along with 100 other guys. It was nice a little too calm tho. Got 2 runt schoolies right at sunset. Fished hard 2 hours after that with no luck. Did hear of some nice stripers but not that many.

williehookem
10-15-2015, 12:41 PM
CSS for the last 4 nights. Landed some good striped bass sun, mon, and tues nights. To 36inches. Last night not so great for me. Caught zippo. And I tried just as hard if not harder as the 3 nights before that.
The best lures for me were the needlefish and darters. I like superstrike. Also got a few on bucktails. The morning bite has been on metal from what I hear. Good luck fellas.

rockhopper
10-15-2015, 12:45 PM
Awesome report man. Yeah I heard about it but have had to work some cray cray hours last two days. Will be out tonight. Save a spot for me. Skunk or not here I come.

cowherder
10-15-2015, 12:56 PM
Congrats guys send some our way please!

7deadlyplugs
10-15-2015, 01:14 PM
Don't be so envious. Fished this morning. About a hundred dudes had the same idea as me. I got one runt on a tin with green tail. Lots of sandeels washing up on shore. Birds picking at them. There were some big explosions that were waaay far out. Could have been bass or tuna, or blues. Just a guess I only saw the splashes. Almost a mile out there. Lots of boats. didn't see a lot caught. Mabe it will turn around for the pm crew. Here's a small tip - bring your combat gear.

rockhopper
10-15-2015, 01:20 PM
Here's a small tip - bring your combat gear.

yeah you have to be careful with the crowds. Try to pick a spot far from the wolf packs. One thing about this time of year and good striper fishing. The buzzing mosquitoes and the flies are gone. So are the bennies. They get replaced by annoying guy who casts over your line, annoying guy who runs to take your spot when you turn to unhook a fish, or annoying guy who just won't shut up and has to ask a million questions instead of paying attention and casting. That's the price you pay when the fishing is good.

BassBuddah
10-16-2015, 11:31 AM
I have been under the weather and not feeling well. Got out last night CSS. Managed a few to 13# on bottle plugs. The bite was better a few nights ago but that's how it goes. Good luck out there. Lots of sandeels around.

7deadlyplugs
10-16-2015, 02:01 PM
Nice going! I fished the ss this morning from 5-6:30. One runt on buck and pork.

nitestrikes
10-17-2015, 11:03 AM
Fellas try to fish in the dark and you may run into some nicer fish. SS from 2-6am today. 2 small striped ones, 2 keepers, one at 34" the other at 36". I was fishing a darter with a tube teaser. Both keepers took the teaser. The smaller ones hit the darter. All released.

nitestrikes
10-17-2015, 11:05 AM
I have been under the weather and not feeling well. Got out last night CSS. Managed a few to 13# on bottle plugs. The bite was better a few nights ago but that's how it goes. Good luck out there. Lots of sandeels around.

Congrats. Same for me. Fished thur night and only got one short and a few shad.

7deadlyplugs
10-17-2015, 11:06 AM
Good job and thanks for the advice!

Monty
10-18-2015, 05:27 PM
Fished SS this AM from 12:30-9:30.
Around 1:00 picked up 2 bass around 27 and 30 inches on a black teaser.
Then around 6:00 a short bass on an olive salty needle. Lost 2 fish and a bunch of bumps.
Was ridiculously calm. Nice fun night, fished new area for me.
Also 2 skates on plugs fished on bottom and a tarpon on the teaser.

http://i2.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_10_18_SR.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

VSdreams
10-18-2015, 07:32 PM
When you say tarpon on the teaser are you talking about shad? had a few of those tonight but no stripes.

7deadlyplugs
10-18-2015, 08:18 PM
Nice job on the bass. I fished the css this am and couldn't catch a striper to save my life. 6-10am threw everything with teaser included. Got some acrobatic hickory shad and one weakfish on the teasers.

7deadlyplugs
10-18-2015, 08:19 PM
When you say tarpon on the teaser are you talking about shad? had a few of those tonight but no stripes.

I don't want to speak out of place for the guy but I'm thinking he was catching the hickories. They sometimes jump when you catch them. Had 2 jump on me this morning it was kinda cool.

Monty
10-18-2015, 08:46 PM

I don't want to speak out of place for the guy but I'm thinking he was catching the hickories. They sometimes jump when you catch them. Had 2 jump on me this morning it was kinda cool.

Yup, Shad (Jersey Tarpon)

Monty
10-20-2015, 05:09 PM
Fished this morning CSS 1:30 to 9:30.
Perfect fishing conditions.
Lost a nicer fish at 2:30 on SS Bottle, 3:00 a short bass on SS Bottle, 4:00 a 28 inch Bass on Big Fischer Darter.
Between 6:00 and 8:00 two shorts and a 33 inch bass on 6" rubber shad, few more hits and lost a fish.
Also 2 skates and a 14 inch Fluke.
Saw happy bunker, sand eels and rain bait.
Was a fun time.

finchaser
10-20-2015, 06:42 PM
:clapping:Way to go

DarkSkies
10-20-2015, 08:11 PM
Perfect fishing conditions.

Was a fun time.

What, nothing about the constant 20mph SW wind and the frothy white water in front of ya? :don't know why: :headbang:
Those conditions kept a lot of people home last night......and didn't stop ya for one second.....
I know how bad you miss that white water, pal......I was drooling :drool: when you were describing the conditions to me.....
(yep even an ACF can drool every now and then) :moon:
Sounds like a great trip.....glad ya had fun......:HappyWave:

Monty
10-21-2015, 12:28 AM
:clapping:Way to go
Thanks, :HappyWave:

What, nothing about the constant 20mph SW wind and the frothy white water in front of ya? :don't know why: :headbang:
Sounds like a great trip.....glad ya had fun......:HappyWave:

I said it was perfect fishing conditions. Always a good time out there, weather like this just adds to the experience.:HappyWave:

rockhopper
10-22-2015, 03:54 PM
Fished the ss this morning. Great out there. Was a little crowded so I made a move. Found some bait in a pocket and had fun with the runts. Was hoping for a larger one but you have to take it as it comes. 4 to 24" all on the bottle plug. missed a few more.

Monty
10-22-2015, 04:53 PM
SS this morning from 1:30 - 9:30, fished with a friend.
We had a great time, I picked up 17 bass mostly between 22" and 27", with 1 at 28 inches and another at 34 inches (kept 34" for the table (1 a year....at most for me)).
Most caught on 7" rubber shads, SS Darter and bucktail/pork. But also a couple on a teaser, 1 on SS popper, jointed bomber, HH metal lip.
My friend also caught in double digits. We each had a small blue and he got 3 nice Fluke.
We were lucky, alone until around 4:00 then one or two guys around.
Lost a few, missed hits....loads of fun, not a lot of size, but the action was great, spread out over the whole trip mostly.

J Barbosa
10-22-2015, 06:09 PM
Great catching Monty 4.0

storminsteve
10-22-2015, 11:12 PM

Lost a nicer fish at 2:30 on SS Bottle, 3:00 a short bass on SS Bottle, 4:00 a 28 inch Bass on Big Fischer Darter.
Between 6:00 and 8:00 two shorts and a 33 inch bass on 6" rubber shad, few more hits and lost a fish.

SS this morning from 1:30 - 9:30, fished with a friend.
We had a great time, I picked up 17 bass mostly between 22" and 27", with 1 at 28 inches and another at 34 inches (kept 34" for the table (1 a year....at most for me)).
My friend also caught in double digits. We each had a small blue and he got 3 nice Fluke.
We were lucky, alone until around 4:00 then one or two guys around.
Lost a few, missed hits....loads of fun, not a lot of size, but the action was great, spread out over the whole trip mostly.

Wow in comparing the 2 trips it looks like you ran into the mother load this time! Super job, great job on the catching! Send some of those bass to NJ.

williehookem
10-22-2015, 11:45 PM
Great catching Monty 4.0

What does monty 4.0 mean? Nice job on the stripers, btw.

7deadlyplugs
10-23-2015, 12:04 PM
17 bass you crushed it! way to go! I got out this morning and it was a little windy. Managed 2 short stripers. Pig and jig. Nice sunrise out there. Did not see a lot of fish caught.

williehookem
10-25-2015, 10:20 AM
Nice going monty outstanding report. Fished the css last night, one runt bucktailing before sunset.

7deadlyplugs
10-25-2015, 12:26 PM
I barely escaped the skunk as well. Went out east this morning thinking the change in weather would stir things up. 2 blues on poppers at dawn. Water was so amazing looking. Couldn't catch a bass to save my life. I just posted the vikings reports in another thread so I guess it's not just me. Hope some of you fellas are doing better.

nitestrikes
10-25-2015, 12:40 PM
You know the old saying, never leave fish to find fish. Decent amount of sandeels right now no need to go East. btw nice report monty.

7deadlyplugs
10-25-2015, 12:47 PM
Yeah I just figured with the weather change it would be game on, sometimes it is. If you don't go you read the next morning how it was on fire. So I had to try. Lesson learned.

Monty
10-25-2015, 12:54 PM
17 bass you crushed it! way to go!

Nice going monty outstanding report. Fished the css last night, one runt bucktailing before sunset.

Thanks guys, I had likely my best trip this AM, fished from 1:00 to 8:30 CSS.
7 bass total, 4 shorts and 3 that were close to 32 inches, 35 inches and 40 inches. The two larger ones were on Big Fischer Mega Darters. I then lost a Bass that I am pretty sure was bigger, made a run that was stronger and longer than the largest bass. Had it close, just could not get it in close enough to get on a wave. Never saw it.
Most of the action was between 1:30 and 5:00, lost a couple other fish and easily missed 15+ hits.
1 Bass on bucktail and pork, 4 bass on SS Darters and the other 2 on the Big Fischer Darters.
Was all alone when the action was the best (most of the trip), one bass caught after sun up.
All fished released.
This finishes my vacation (fished 4x in 8 days (7 1/2 hours to 9 hours per trip)). Was incredibly fun and I was incredibly lucky to have the action I did (Thank you LI).

http://i2.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_10_25_SB_3_37_AM.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

rockhopper
10-25-2015, 12:59 PM
:thumbsup:Nice striper dood! Looks like a fat pig!

BassBuddah
10-25-2015, 06:53 PM
Well done.

rockhopper
10-26-2015, 07:39 AM
Awesome job on the stripers monty!

7deadlyplugs
10-26-2015, 12:03 PM
Back to the css again. Picked a short fat striper on the bt and a few shads on the teaser. Right around sunrise. btw the sunrise this morning was awesome where I was. The fishing not so much. monty you are really racking them up- nice striper! Might try to fish tonight for some bigger ones.

J Barbosa
10-27-2015, 03:30 PM
What does monty 4.0 mean? Nice job on the stripers, btw.

That's Monty 2.0 on vacation with a Costco sized pack of Redbull and 5-Hour Energy.

Thanks guys, I had likely my best trip this AM, fished from 1:00 to 8:30 CSS.
7 bass total, 4 shorts and 3 that were close to 32 inches, 35 inches and 40 inches. The two larger ones were on Big Fischer Mega Darters. I then lost a Bass that I am pretty sure was bigger, made a run that was stronger and longer than the largest bass. Had it close, just could not get it in close enough to get on a wave. Never saw it.
Most of the action was between 1:30 and 5:00, lost a couple other fish and easily missed 15+ hits.
1 Bass on bucktail and pork, 4 bass on SS Darters and the other 2 on the Big Fischer Darters.
Was all alone when the action was the best (most of the trip), one bass caught after sun up.
All fished released.
This finishes my vacation (fished 4x in 8 days (7 1/2 hours to 9 hours per trip)). Was incredibly fun and I was incredibly lucky to have the action I did (Thank you LI).

http://i2.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_10_25_SB_3_37_AM.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810
That is a beautiful fish!

cowherder
10-27-2015, 04:03 PM
Haha so the energy drink is his secret weapon! Just kidding. beautiful striper Monty and nice going on the releases of those giant fish. That one is really fat.

rockhopper
10-30-2015, 11:06 AM
css from 5-7:30. water a little foamy and not that clean. Managed one short striper on diamond jig with green tail. I really hope the storm didn't ruin the great fishing.

Monty
11-02-2015, 04:11 PM
CSS Sunday 1 am to 10 am (11 hours).
My friend picked up 3 short bass on teasers and 6 fluke. I caught 1 short bass on ss needle, 2 fluke and a shad.
All bass between 1 and 2:30 am.
Good time, awesome looking water.

surfstix1963
11-07-2015, 06:35 AM
Big bluefish caught and released 25 lbs. South shore Long Island photo by SJ.:thumbsup:

buckethead
11-07-2015, 07:56 AM
That is impressive thanks for sharing. Hope some of them hit NJ.

7deadlyplugs
11-08-2015, 08:01 AM
Fished the ss last night from 9-2. Low water and I kept moving. Got one runt on a bucktail. Then as I was going to leave I got a massive hit on the bucktail. Pulled drag like a trophy bass or bluefish. I was just not paying attention and after a nice bunch of drag pulled out he got off. So pissed off right now. Oh well thats the breaks. Nice night out there.
Wow that bluefish is a monster. Biggest one I ever seen from the surf!

Monty
11-08-2015, 05:56 PM
Fished SS this morning 1:00 - 7:00.
Area I wanted to fish the lot was closed. Nice morning, cooled off.
1 bump, when sun came up beach was full of casters, did not see a bent rod.
Did see an enormous amount of dead dog fish. Some people just plain out suck.
I complain about most boaters being inconsiderate, stupid, unsafe, selfish, etc., but I guess its just a lot of people all over that just don't have respect for anything.
Crazy bright flash on South Western sky just before sun-up, triple flash maybe, it up everything. Weird.

surfstix1963
11-09-2015, 03:42 AM
rumor has it the fish were east of you on my favorite beach.Should be headed your way if they come into the beach and don't stay offshore.

strikezone31
11-09-2015, 02:37 PM
I hope so, gents. A buddy told me they are stacked up in the GSB as well.

rockhopper
11-13-2015, 10:05 AM
Worked a few primo patches on the wss last night. Fished for 4 hours, one runt on bucktail and pork. Prob change it up next time to the bay.

I hope so, gents. A buddy told me they are stacked up in the GSB as well.

Yep should have added that to my game plan last night. thanks

Monty
11-15-2015, 09:16 PM
Fished SS this morning from 1:30-10:00.
Very nice out. Picked up a short around 25 inches at 2:40 on a blurple SP Minnow, then lost one that felt a bit bigger right after. Was crawling it. Then 3:30 another short bass on a SS black/gold darter. And that was it. Dead after that.
Fun trip.

Monty
11-29-2015, 06:36 PM
After not fishing last weekend for only the second time since April, I decided to hit up Montauk one last time for this year and fished this morning 2:00 to 8:00 It was a solid skunking. Beautiful water, nice night, but no action.
Was my first time back out there in a few months and being "out of the grove", I got knocked on my @ss 4 times.
Solitude, only life a saw besides a few birds was a couple seals. Good to be out there for one more time this year, its a very incredible place.

A few picks from this trip

http://i1.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_11_29_Surf_4.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

http://i2.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_11_29_Surf_2.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

http://i1.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_11_29_Seal1.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

http://i2.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_11_29_MontaukLighthouse.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

williehookem
11-29-2015, 07:29 PM
All my friends gave up on Montauk already. it's nice to see someone out there still trying. if you didn't catch a fish at least you worked hard trying.
Great seal and lighthouse photos too.

fishinmission78
11-30-2015, 09:43 AM
I was hoping to hear of some bass still coming from up north too. Oh well. Nice pics. Thanks for the intel

finchaser
11-30-2015, 12:52 PM
I was hoping to hear of some bass still coming from up north too. Oh well. Nice pics. Thanks for the intel

North has been dead for almost 2 weeks :( Long Islands bigger fish are off Island beach and LBI the came across the mudhole over the past 3 days

storminsteve
12-01-2015, 09:07 AM
Looks pretty isolated up there. At least you tried. Thanks for sharing. The lighthouse pic looks cool.

blitzhunter
12-01-2015, 09:32 AM
Thank you for the report. Tight lines. Strange season for sure.

BassBuddah
12-02-2015, 10:35 AM
x2 on the lighthouse pic. It looks real festive this time of year. Out east for the holiday. Took a ride to mecca since it was close. Beautiful water, no fish. Happy holidays to all the crew here and their families.

nitestrikes
12-07-2015, 02:10 PM
Fished SS this weekend. Not a touch for me though I did hear of a few on bucktails.

7deadlyplugs
12-08-2015, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the report. Got skunked the last 5 times out. I think I'm done for the fall. Tight lines and merry christmas to you guys.