PDA

View Full Version : NJ Fishing Reports for May 2015 - www.StripersAndAnglers.com

DarkSkies
04-30-2015, 08:11 AM
Short and sweet......

1. Post your fishing reports here.....
2. Be as specific as ya want....but remember the limited access....If you don't enjoy fishing next to 40 friends at night in a 400 foot section of beach, think before ya post.....:idea:

3. Location -
Out front....
out back.....
or the county...

further details on the first page of any past S&A monthly fishing reports.

4. Moderation...
I rarely have time to moderate these threads.
If something needs to be addressed,and you are a contributing member.....please PM me or send an e-mail via the report post button.

** Thanks for your cooperation and for being such a great group! :thumbsup:

**Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post. If you began to register and can't post, check your spam folder for your activation instructions.

DarkSkies
04-30-2015, 08:30 AM
Early Spring Recap
May is usually a great month for fishing for a lot of us.....some observations so far.....

1. For Northern NJ and the Raritan Bay bite....there was activity....but no consistent 2-4 weeks of activity of small to larger bass like there usually is...(the holdover bass that winter in the Arthur Kill and NY Harbor areas) before the Hudson bass showed up about 10 days ago.....

2. The bass that wintered over in the BBay seemed to spread out in April, and were available at a few early season locations....along with some drum and bluefish....

3. From the feedback I got from friends who were fishing on April 1...the fishing in the bays in the Southern Counties (Atlantic to Cape May) was a little better and more consistent....

4. As I have been explaining to the folks out there....the fish that showed up in Raritan Bay seemed to be very concentrated in certain areas....and feast or famine in others....
(this is a pattern that could indicate a shrinking biomass, explained in several threads here)

5. The fish that were supposed to spawn did not yet spawn in some of the usual places....Although the Delaware biomass and fishery is said to be strong...the fact that these fish....(with specific locations imprinted in their brains) did not spawn in certain areas....gives me great concern....

6. I'm also getting preliminary feedback that the 2015 Chesapeake spawning activity was not as great as anticipated...and was another very late spawn, relative to the other years.....

**It seems everything is off this year.....the cold Winter has been blamed....and that is likely true, to some extent....Spawning is very dependent on water temps...But is that the complete explanation? :huh:
I am not sure......:don't know why:

The above are not only my observations...but anecdotal reports from a few dozen veteran anglers that I regularly talk about some of this stuff with.....

Although I am not a scientist...I have been on this earth long enough to recognize patterns....or discern when they are changing.......

I will try to transfer some of these thoughts to the
StripersandAnglers yearly coastwide fish stock assessment, state of the fishery (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?7784-StripersandAnglers-yearly-coastwide-fish-stock-assessment-state-of-the-fishery)
thread...
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?7784-StripersandAnglers-yearly-coastwide-fish-stock-assessment-state-of-the-fishery&highlight=coastwide+fish+stock+assessment

when I get a chance....

In the meantime, I have been urging some friends to get out there and fish hard... :HappyWave:
The fish in the Raritan Bay could be leaving any day to move upriver as water temps rise....:fishing:

Many areas up and down the Coast now have big blues to target....
Although some anglers curse them....I feel they are great fun...and a welcome target when the bass action slows down as we await the Southern migrators to come North.....
It seems that the 2015 early season larger blues are now available in more areas than they usually are....

In trying to keep the positivity here...
Make some time....
Get out there....
Try different things....
Take a kid fishing....
Or challenge yourselves to learn new places.....

And you just might have some fun.....
Good luck and health to all.....
And God Bless :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

buckethead
05-01-2015, 10:47 AM
I walked and fished out front in moco today. Outgoing tide early morning. Picked up one small bass on a bucktail and rind. Rough surf and NE winds made it not that great. Even if that were not that windy the fish are not really there yet. Fished a few times in the past week, some small fish and misses. I would call it a slow pick at best.

buckethead
05-01-2015, 10:47 AM
5. The fish that were supposed to spawn did not yet spawn in some of the usual places....Although the Delaware biomass and fishery is said to be strong...the fact that these fish....(with specific locations imprinted in their brains) did not spawn in certain areas....gives me great concern....

6. I'm also getting preliminary feedback that the 2015 Chesapeake spawning activity was not as great as anticipated...and was another very late spawn, relative to the other years.....

**It seems everything is off this year.....the cold Winter has been blamed....and that is likely true, to some extent....Spawning is very dependent on water temps...But is that the complete explanation? :huh:
I am not sure......http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/smilies/don%27t%20know%20why.gif

The fish in the Raritan Bay could be leaving any day to move upriver as water temps rise....:fishing:

I agree 100% with your assessment. I think the Delaware fish are almost done spawning. We really needed some strong spawns this year. Only time will tell with the YOY survey next year. I don't think the numbers will be that good though.
As for the fish being on the move you are right there as well. May 4th is the full moon. If they do not move this weekend they should be moving around that time. Historical pattern.

VSdreams
05-01-2015, 11:20 AM
buckethead you are a trouper! I went down to the ocean in moco before work today and didn't fish because it was so windy. I wanted to throw plugs but they would have got pushed back to the shore. I guess that makes sense to use bucktails. Thanks for the honest report always enjoy reading yours.

plugcrazy
05-01-2015, 01:50 PM
We're already in May and the ocean temperature is only 48 degrees. brrrrrrrr!

jigfreak
05-01-2015, 03:22 PM
Yeah but that don't stop the blues from feeding. Got into a mess of them this morning on the outgoing in occo. Nothing visible on the surface but they were there. Just drop an ava and tail into the water, crank a few times on the bottom, and you were hooked up. 2 hours of solid action before work. Lots of fun. Might have been spitting up squid or something blobby looking. My arms are tired. up to 10lbs all released.

Blazin420
05-02-2015, 07:47 AM
Got out last night and found some big blues also..Picked up 3 for the first of 2015!..Lots of bunker around got 1 blue on a head then 2 others hit yozuri mag minnow...The 1 that hit the head was the biggest was every bit of 10-12lbs! others a little smaller 7-8lb range..Was hoping some bigger bass were hiding below but no dice....

cowherder
05-02-2015, 10:16 AM
Awesome blazing! I went fishing in the bay yesterday. Around 4:30 there were some nice bluefish caught. I got one at around 26 inches on a hopkins with white tail. It seemed they wanted metal rather than plugs though I did see a few caught by a guy using a white popper. I would rather catch one on a plug and stayed for 2 hours after that but it really did die down. Guess you were out later than I was and it started up again. Nice going that looks like a fattie!

fishinmission78
05-02-2015, 07:35 PM
Great action again in the bb today for blues to 14lbs. Metal, poppers, bucktails you name it they are on a feeding frenzy. You can use plugs but they will destroy them. Better off with the bucktails or metal for quick release.

seamonkey
05-02-2015, 07:41 PM
Wow awesome you guys are lucky thanks for the reports!

basshunter
05-03-2015, 11:04 AM
Very nice fish! blazin nice blue. I got into some good bluefish yesterday on the incoming tide in the backbay. It was a lot of fishermen not much being caught. Mostly bait fishing but some throwing spin gear like me. I was tossing a krocodile with green tail for about a half hour with no luck. All of a sudden things got crazy. Just about everyone was hooked up as the blues just invaded the whole place. Great fishing for bluefish up to about 12 lbs for me. I had to get out another kroc because the tail on the first one got shredded to nothing. I saw a dude weigh one on his boga that he said was 15 lbs. Some of these were jumping out of the water. It was pretty cool. Thank you for the intel and reports. Might take my little cousins fishing if this lasts.

surferman
05-03-2015, 01:08 PM
The monster blue invasion of 2015. there is some great monster blues in NJ right now. I drove all the way from cape may yesterday. I was standing on a dock in the barnegat bay with about 50 other guys. It was crowded but everyone was nice and polite and few tangles. Best blue fish catching from the shore that I have had in 15 years. Lost count after 20. Got blues up to 15 lbs woo hoo! I was using bucktail and pork rind. I did not think bluefish could shred pork rind but they did!
Thanks for all the reports and general info. Get out there while it lasts gents. You are def lucky to have action close where you don't have to drive 80 miles to get to the fish. I have never seen shore blues like that by us.

CharlieTuna
05-03-2015, 01:29 PM
That does sound unusual. I lived in the Toms River area for awhile when I lived in Jersey. The blues would come in every year but there was nothing to keep them there. In and out in a week and all skinny. racers is what we used to call them.

finchaser
05-03-2015, 02:40 PM
That does sound unusual. I lived in the Toms River area for awhile when I lived in Jersey. The blues would come in every year but there was nothing to keep them there. In and out in a week and all skinny. racers is what we used to call them.

There not racers this year they are all big and fat

robmedina
05-03-2015, 04:30 PM
Wow just wow. Started the day off at 7am in barney. The water was as flat as glass. I heard alot of hooting and hollaring while i was getting ready. My buddy Mikey was late so i went ahead. I paddled out towards the hollering and notice hundreds upon hundreds if tails sticking out of the water. I was in 6 feet of water so that made it even stranger. I realized pretty quickly they were blues and it was on fir 2 hours straight. I even got 4 of em on my flyrod. Was great fun.
Paddled around to stay on them but lost them once the wind picked up. Caught some more trolling and called it a day.
Snallest fish was 6 or 7 lbs buggest had ti go 12lbs.
I cant upload pics from my phone will do later.

plugcrazy
05-03-2015, 05:53 PM
Wow just wow. Started the day off at 7am in barney. The water was as flat as glass. I heard alot of hooting and hollaring while i was getting ready. My buddy Mikey was late so i went ahead. I paddled out towards the hollering and notice hundreds upon hundreds if tails sticking out of the water. I was in 6 feet of water so that made it even stranger.
Snallest fish was 6 or 7 lbs buggest had ti go 12lbs.

Awesome report for once the BB is kicking butt on the RB!

porgy75
05-03-2015, 09:07 PM
Got some nice blues in rb today. My biggest was about 33" I don't know how much pounds it weighed but it was FAAAAAAT. Got at least 22 or 25 I can't remember exactly. I didn't keep any but some guys were hauling them away by the coolerful. When you guys on here said your arms were tired I was sometimes jealous. Now I know the feeling and it was awesome! Get out there and catch them while its hot. Great day today.

baitstealer
05-03-2015, 09:22 PM
Wow thats great news thanks for the reports and updates fellas. Drooling from the mouth reading them.

seamonkey
05-03-2015, 09:23 PM
x2 hopefully they will chop up some bait and the stripers will be following closely.

fishinmission78
05-03-2015, 09:24 PM
There not racers this year they are all big and fat

^^ What he said. Big fat and angry.

robmedina
05-04-2015, 06:00 AM
Pics from yesterday's battle royale with them fat blue fish.

robmedina
05-04-2015, 06:04 AM
oh yeah- all my fish were released. I had to yell at a couple boaters yesterday. I don't normally do that but these idiots drove right through a pod of fish when they could have gone around and could clearly see there were people on fish. Is it really that hard to figure out?

J Barbosa
05-04-2015, 11:12 AM
Chunked RB on my friends boat yesterday. Had 3 bass to 20lbs and bluefish. Will upload the pics at another time...too lazy to crop right now.

stripercrazy
05-04-2015, 11:22 AM
I had to yell at a couple boaters yesterday. I don't normally do that but these idiots drove right through a pod of fish when they could have gone around and could clearly see there were people on fish. Is it really that hard to figure out?

I see that all the time in the GSB. Some of these guys have the intelligence of a walnut.

SharkHart
05-04-2015, 03:00 PM
Was finally my turn last night, stopped my truck 8 times to look and try, one stop had "slot" bass crashing bait but ohh no they won't hit, I finally tricked 2 but putting it right on their head as they popped, but the landings spooked the other few, then finally found some quality fish just as it got light, few bass harassing bunker, landed two nice upper teen fish and missed a third before it got too damn sunny out at 6am. Mag and SPs.

Blazin420
05-04-2015, 03:46 PM
Nice reports fellas! Good see everyone is getting some action! Unfortunately i went out late afternoon into dark yesterday and got no love for anything...Was a bit surprised no bass,blues or bunker where i was...Figuring the bass have moved up the river to do there thing but still thought id find a blue or 2...Should have moved sooner but by the time i left the spot i was at i missed the tide in a few other spots and was kind of beat..Oh well thats fishing!! Only downfall i see to all these bluefish that have invaded the area is that there is probably gonna be a lack of weakies around(not like they have been any huge nimbers the past years)but i still manage to tangle with a few come May..Love those pretty fish!! Hope to be back out Wednesday with better results

basshunter
05-04-2015, 04:05 PM
Only downfall i see to all these bluefish that have invaded the area is that there is probably gonna be a lack of weakies around(not like they have been any huge nimbers the past years)but i still manage to tangle with a few come May..Love those pretty fish!!

Sorry to hear about the skunk. I fished this morning in moco with metal and got the skunk too. Only had time to fish for an hour so maybe I was there at the wrong time.
Wondered if you could go into more detail about what you said with the blues and weakfish? I never heard that but your theory sounds interesting. Thanks

Blazin420
05-04-2015, 06:34 PM
Sorry to hear about the skunk. I fished this morning in moco with metal and got the skunk too. Only had time to fish for an hour so maybe I was there at the wrong time.
Wondered if you could go into more detail about what you said with the blues and weakfish? I never heard that but your theory sounds interesting. Thanks
Basically due to the fact that bass and definitly Big Blues will chomp those weakies up no time...This fall the bass were keyed in on juvi weakies...I had a few dead spikes floating in front of me while i was nailing bass on storm shads...My thinking is with there ferocious blues around theyll have no chance or run like hell...Its just a theory..But i would think it would be true...maybe some of the old salts could prove me right or wrong with there experiences...

clamchucker
05-04-2015, 07:29 PM
blazing I agree with most of what you said. The big blues will chop up the weakfish and follow them every year. The striped bass as well.

Some fishermen blame the health of striped bass in the 1990's for the decline of the weakfish. I feel it is more complicated than that. There is still a commercial fishery for weakfish and they take the spikes every year. That should be stopped. The weakfish regulations of one per man make no sense if you don't take care of the gillnetters as well.

Blazin420
05-04-2015, 07:57 PM
blazing I agree with most of what you said. The big blues will chop up the weakfish and follow them every year. The striped bass as well.

Some fishermen blame the health of striped bass in the 1990's for the decline of the weakfish. I feel it is more complicated than that. There is still a commercial fishery for weakfish and they take the spikes every year. That should be stopped. The weakfish regulations of one per man make no sense if you don't take care of the gillnetters as well.

Your absolutely right clamchucker..Im not saying that the blues and bass are the reason for the huge decline in weaks...Not by any means..But i caught a lot of weaks in 2012 including my personal best of 8lbs..i would catch 1 or 2 each outing that year..I believe there was a lack of big blues for me that year...The main reason they are so scarce is definitely due to BS regs for the gill netters...

robmedina
05-05-2015, 06:06 AM
while paddling around I saw what looked like chunks of meat floating about 1-2 feet under the surface. Also, some of the blues when boat side were spitting up shards of flesh.

fishinmission78
05-05-2015, 07:21 AM
Fished island beach before work yesterday. Bunker chunks are good to go now. Snagged fresh bunker in the back and chunked. 2 short bass and a few blues to 12#.

buckethead
05-05-2015, 07:39 AM
Moco 5-6am. Picked up three small stripers (released) right before the sun rose on bucktail and white grub. Water is very calm with a light SW breeze.

cowherder
05-05-2015, 10:55 PM
Went out fishing the bay tonight. I didn't know that many people were into bluefish. I saw cars in the lot that were from PA. Guys driving all the way from PA just for a hot bluefish bite? Wow just wow.:kooky:
I got a mess of them they were so feisty and bulldogging it was a lot of fun. To 13 lbs left em biting it got too crowded and I left. Ava and green tail.

Blazin420
05-06-2015, 06:54 AM
Went out fishing the bay tonight. I didn't know that many people were into bluefish. I saw cars in the lot that were from PA. Guys driving all the way from PA just for a hot bluefish bite? Wow just wow.:kooky:
I got a mess of them they were so feisty and bulldogging it was a lot of fun. To 13 lbs left em biting it got too crowded and I left. Ava and green tail.
Nice job cowhearder...Friend of mine went out last night had them non stop up to 38+in...Crazy like you said how many people are into blues!! He said there were a bunch lying on the beach...Its also crazy how much these people have no respect for anything!! I no its bluefish but there is no reason to catch it and not throw it back...Come on at least take it home for the garden if not anything else...Or just be a normal person and THROW IT BACK:burn:!!!

Ill be headed out tonight but away from the crowd doing my own thing...I like blues but im not standing in a s***storm of Joses and Wangs to catch them:laugh:...I like the fish with stripes on them much better:d

robmedina
05-06-2015, 08:10 AM
^^^^^^Agreed! People are idiots! I released all my fish I caught. There were some that looked like they may not make it but I revived them and they took off. I am not tooting my horn, just appreciating the resource. They (and I) all drive from good distances and have fun catching them, why not take care of them so we can catch them tomorrow. Doesn't make sense to me.

bababooey
05-06-2015, 08:36 AM
im not standing in a s***storm of Wangs to catch them:laugh:...

I know your secret spot now! If you don't want to stand in a storm of wangs. Stay away from ASSbury then!:HappyWave:

seamonkey
05-06-2015, 08:49 AM
Rofl!

Blazin420
05-06-2015, 09:00 AM
I know your secret spot now! If you don't want to stand in a storm of wangs. Stay away from ASSbury then!:HappyWave:

Hahaha not that kind of wang hahahaha...The kind that eat clams ment for bait!!!!

hookedonbass
05-06-2015, 09:06 AM
lol awesome reports and commentary gents! News bulletin- the blues have invaded the north! the blues have invaded the north. Run for your lives! Was out yesterday and got a bunch right before dark on white pencil popper. lordy are they really big and strong.

lostatsea
05-06-2015, 10:18 AM
Like the martians in war of the worlds lol.

SharkHart
05-06-2015, 11:08 AM
Old habits never die- i was out looking for Weakfish as its first week of May even though I know its not what it used to be, I did drop one at my feet, 4lb class but i had to cast 4 hours for one hit, not much pay off in it right now.

cowherder
05-06-2015, 06:52 PM
Nice try! I think i have seen some of your weakfish videos on youtube. Is your name on there sharkhart as well?

cowherder
05-06-2015, 07:00 PM
Nice job cowhearder...Friend of mine went out last night had them non stop up to 38+in...Crazy like you said how many people are into blues!! He said there were a bunch lying on the beach...Its also crazy how much these people have no respect for anything!! I no its bluefish but there is no reason to catch it and not throw it back...Come on at least take it home for the garden if not anything else...Or just be a normal person and THROW IT BACK:burn:!!!

Thank you for compliment and the same to you.
x2 some people have no respect at all. The same thing happens with the skates and sea robins. They leave them on the beach to rot and die. Total A-HOLES!!!!!!!!!:beatin:

finchaser
05-06-2015, 07:56 PM
Thank you for compliment and the same to you.
x2 some people have no respect at all. The same thing happens with the skates and sea robins. They leave them on the beach to rot and die. Total A-HOLES!!!!!!!!!:beatin:

What he ^^^^said

buckethead
05-07-2015, 08:28 AM
Fished moco this morning at sunrise. Light east wind good conditions. Picked up 2 short bass on bucktail with white grub.

J Barbosa
05-07-2015, 10:21 AM
Got into bluefish for 4 hours straight yesterday until the sun went down....could have got them after that but my arms weren't cooperating.

Epic bluefishing...my friend went 21 casts straight with a hookup each cast until he got cut off.

Topwater poppers and JB tins were red hot!!!

hookedonbass
05-07-2015, 11:21 AM
^^^^ 21 blues in 21 casts they must of been on a rampage! Nice work thanks for the report will be fishing for them this weekend.

seamonkey
05-07-2015, 11:56 AM
Awesome reports gents. Might try to drive up there on Sat. Hope they r still around.

storminsteve
05-08-2015, 09:21 AM
Good bluefish last night in the bay. White poppers.

fishinmission78
05-08-2015, 12:57 PM
got into some blues this morning ocean county front 5-7. They were hitting 3-ounce crocodiles.

fishrich
05-09-2015, 12:14 AM
Me and fishjay fished ocean county out front from 11:30 am to 7:30 pm and caught bluefish up to 15 pounds. Way to many to count. Fished the first spot till 4:00 pm with non stop action on metal and poppers. No visible bait, but fish were spitting up bunker. Went to a second spot and fished a sand bar by ourselves and had a hook-up every cast for two solid hours. There were bunker everywhere beaching themselves. When the tide forced us off the sand bar we fished a nearby cut and still had a steady pick of bluefish and even managed a bass apiece before we quit.

Blazin420
05-09-2015, 08:12 AM
Fished last night 730-12am...Slower than i expected..Did avoid the skunk with 1 10 lb blue but while unhooking him i went to step on him to calm it down and he did a bluefish ninja jump and put a treble right into my wadershttp://www.stripersurf.com/forums/images/smilies/mad.gif ....I was glad it didnt make it into my leg or my hand but i was soaked for the rest of the night (of course it happened with in the first 30 mins i was out there)...After that not much action did have 1 other good whack and saw 2 smaller bass picked up by another guy..Waders are going back to Bean today!

jigfreak
05-09-2015, 03:53 PM
Nice going fishrich. Had the same results yesterday lots of big angry blues. They were there without showing. Nice year for blues in ocean county so far. Would like a few more bass too but Ill take what I can get.

jigfreak
05-09-2015, 03:54 PM
and he did a bluefish ninja jump and put a treble right into my wadershttp://www.stripersurf.com/forums/images/smilies/mad.gif ....I was glad it didnt make it into my leg or my hand but i was soaked for the rest of the night (of course it happened with in the first 30 mins i was out there!

Had that happen to me a few times. Could have been worse at least you didn't stick yourself. Thank god for the warranty.

storminsteve
05-09-2015, 06:12 PM
nice going guys. blazing you could have failed epically. You could have had that fish near your crotch when unhooking. Big mistake that I made one time lol.

Blazin420
05-09-2015, 07:09 PM
Had that happen to me a few times. Could have been worse at least you didn't stick yourself. Thank god for the warranty.

nice going guys. blazing you could have failed epically. You could have had that fish near your crotch when unhooking. Big mistake that I made one time lol.
I no Jigfreak thats what i was thinking i was pissed i got wet but i was real happy it wasnt impaled in my leg!!! And yes THANK GOD for the warranty...Called today and sent out my old ones new waders should be here by wednesday!

Hahaha...Now that would have really mad the night SUCK!!!...I never trust the blues and there is no way they are getting any where near my family jewels area!!! lol

robmedina
05-10-2015, 12:41 PM
went out to a certain inlet that I knew the blues would be at. Cast a 1.5oz bucktail with #70 pork as far as I could, let it drop to the bottom and bam fish on. I thought it was a big skate because it seemed to just hug the bottom. I could not budge it. After a little bit of tugging I got the fish to move....hmm, maybe its a bass, it isn't fighting like a blue. took a little while until I could see it and it turned out to be a big blue in the mid teen range. I ended up breaking my St Croix rod on him and lost hi m on the rocks in front of me.
I gave a bucktail to my buddy and coached him into a fish. When he brought his up it looked half the size of mine, his turned out to be about 26 inches and about 10lbs. I know mine was not 40 something inches but mine was definitely fatter and a little longer. I was also using heavier gear and had trouble moving the fish.
Ended up stopping and buying a new rod. One fish for today and back home to do mothers day.

buckethead
05-10-2015, 03:00 PM
Nice report rob I enjoyed reading it until I heard you broke your rod. Early season blues will stay deep until you start moving them up. Often it seems like you have a bass on until they get close to the surface and all hell breaks loose. Sorry to hear that hope it was under warranty.
I was out in moco this morning. Lots of fog and not many fishermen. A few other gentlemen and I enjoyed reeling in quite a few large bluefish in the teens. Ended up with 2 short bass to put the icing on the cake. All on bucktail and pork rind. Happy mothers day to all the moms and families out there.

surferman
05-10-2015, 03:04 PM
Wow blues that break your rod don't dont just break your rod they break your heart! Sorry to hear that dude!

robmedina
05-10-2015, 04:09 PM
Thanks guys. The broken rod wasnt the killer it was the fact that there were way more fish to be caught and i was dead in the water. I even tried to cast with one guide lol. The bucktail did not go far!

buckethead
05-11-2015, 10:50 AM
Fished out front moco this AM. The surf was a little choppy with SE wind and I got the skunk. It has been a little better toward the top of the tide. Might try again early afternoon tomorrow. rob the worst feeling in the world is to be in the middle of good activity and you are out because you broke a rod or reel. Sorry to hear that.

seamonkey
05-11-2015, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the honest reports guys. Didn't get much chance to fish yesterday but will be back again this week. Lets hope we see some migrators soon.

SharkHart
05-11-2015, 01:14 PM
Was a pretty good showing of larger bass in SNJ, little sooner then expected too, had to work was just random window bites during tides and MANY guys out, news travels, got a few Teen bass, I lost a nice drag screamer, they were just nicking the plugs I dropped more then twice as many as I caught, was frustrating. Was erie in all that fog, lots of hey is that you as fisherman passed looking for the friends.

J Barbosa
05-11-2015, 01:36 PM
went out to a certain inlet that I knew the blues would be at. Cast a 1.5oz bucktail with #70 pork as far as I could, let it drop to the bottom and bam fish on. I thought it was a big skate because it seemed to just hug the bottom. I could not budge it. After a little bit of tugging I got the fish to move....hmm, maybe its a bass, it isn't fighting like a blue. took a little while until I could see it and it turned out to be a big blue in the mid teen range. I ended up breaking my St Croix rod on him and lost hi m on the rocks in front of me.
I gave a bucktail to my buddy and coached him into a fish. When he brought his up it looked half the size of mine, his turned out to be about 26 inches and about 10lbs. I know mine was not 40 something inches but mine was definitely fatter and a little longer. I was also using heavier gear and had trouble moving the fish.
Ended up stopping and buying a new rod. One fish for today and back home to do mothers day.

That sucks...I've seen two rods break this past week on bluefish and seen another two almost get dragged into the water. If it wasn't for bluefish most of the tackle shops would be out of business.

Bucktails will usually cull the biggest fish in the area if fished off the bottom.

Big bluefish do not fight like bluefish especially with deep fast moving water. The smaller ones typically run with the current while the big 15-20# class will swim against the current at times.

I lost one the other day that I could have sworn was a nice bass. Right after the hit it took a steady run then stopped followed by another two runs. I got it close enough to see that it was a big bluefish but he popped off after some surface thrashing near the shore (barbless single hook).

Would have easily topped our two biggest bluefish of 16#'s that day.

cowherder
05-11-2015, 03:16 PM
Wow blues that break your rod don't dont just break your rod they break your heart! Sorry to hear that dude!
I think I read that in a fishing tackle ad somewhere. Very true!

Big bluefish do not fight like bluefish especially with deep fast moving water. The smaller ones typically run with the current while the big 15-20# class will swim against the current at times.

I lost one the other day that I could have sworn was a nice bass. Right after the hit it took a steady run then stopped followed by another two runs. I got it close enough to see that it was a big bluefish but he popped off after some surface thrashing near the shore (barbless single hook).

Would have easily topped our two biggest bluefish of 16#'s that day.

Interesting info. Why do you think they hold down deep like that?

cowherder
05-11-2015, 03:17 PM
Was a pretty good showing of larger bass in SNJ, little sooner then expected too, had to work was just random window bites during tides and MANY guys out, news travels, got a few Teen bass, I lost a nice drag screamer, they were just nicking the plugs I dropped more then twice as many as I caught, was frustrating. Was erie in all that fog, lots of hey is that you as fisherman passed looking for the friends.

Nice going! Fishing in the fog must be a little awkward.

hookedonbass
05-11-2015, 03:20 PM
Thanks guys. The broken rod wasnt the killer it was the fact that there were way more fish to be caught and i was dead in the water. I even tried to cast with one guide lol. The bucktail did not go far!

The worst feeling in the world is that the fish are biting and your gear breaks on you. Word.

J Barbosa
05-11-2015, 04:33 PM

Basic physics - look up the "laminar flow" and how it is applied to rivers.

"In a river without obstructions, the slowest moving water is near the bottom and the fastest is near the surface.

Eddies are created behind an obstruction as water fills in the void created by the obstruction.

The current behind an eddy is actually moving upstream.
Hydraulics occur as water flows over an obstruction and a slight depression forms behind it. Downstream water attempts to fill this void, creating an upstream flow toward the obstruction."

I'll translate into terms we fisherman can understand...

If the bottom of the river was perfectly flat the bottom would still create friction that would slow down the water movement.

The bottom is never flat and any bottom structure creates eddies that slow the water down (even small ripples in the bottom create eddies).

We know that most big fish are lazy.

The eddies and slower current allow big fish to sit/cruise at the bottom and conserve energy.

Try getting to the bottom of the river flowing at 4knts with your sp minnow ~.~

robmedina
05-12-2015, 06:48 AM
The worst feeling in the world is that the fish are biting and your gear breaks on you. Word.
Maybe the worst feeling is your buddy not sharing his rod LOL!

hookedonbass
05-12-2015, 08:46 AM
^^^^ Maybe time to find a new buddy! LOL

surferman
05-12-2015, 10:11 AM
Maybe the worst feeling is your buddy not sharing his rod LOL!

^^^^ Maybe time to find a new buddy! LOL

Its a good thing this is a fishing site or there could be different meanings!:scared:

robmedina
05-13-2015, 05:05 AM
Yeah Surfman I had no where else to go with that statement- buddy not sharing is rod, not sharing his pole..I was doomed anyway I cut it, lol!

bababooey
05-13-2015, 10:06 AM
^^ A few references to maritime common sense are in order here-
A fisher man should be careful of another man who offers to share rods.:scared:
When sharing expenses for a fishing trip on a boat, if the guy you invited keeps calling you little buddy you may want to keep your mace handy!

cowherder
05-13-2015, 10:26 AM
LOL thats too scary. What if he just watched gilligans island a lot?

Blazin420
05-13-2015, 01:51 PM
Fished last night 530-11pm...3 bass 20-24in and 1 decent blue...Could of had more blues but didnt feel like following the crowd...Was lookin for bass!! ! bass on a white bucktail other 2 hit my burple teaser..missed 2 others..Not a great night but ill take it at least i got a couple with stripes and no teeth!http://www.stripersurf.com/images/smilies/hihi.gif Some of the blues i saw were really chunky ones with big belly they sure are eating good out there...

fishinmission78
05-14-2015, 09:14 AM
Some of the blues i saw were really chunky ones with big belly they sure are eating good out there...

Damn right they sure are fat this year. Nice catching blazin. I was out early this morning near the top of the tide 4-6am in the park. Got 3 blues to 9lbs with bunker chunks. No stripes though.

J Barbosa
05-14-2015, 02:22 PM
Fished yesterday afternoon until 2am.

Had nice bluefish on topwater until dark then it slowed so I switched over to chunking and got them that way.

Seen 1 bass caught on a pencil popper.

Water is really starting to warm up in the back...I felt like wading without waders!

VSdreams
05-14-2015, 07:08 PM
Awesome reports gents I will be out this weekend looking for the striped ones.

basshunter
05-14-2015, 07:12 PM
Nice going guys. I fished moco after work today just finished now. There was barely any activity or fishermen where I was they must have been a good bite somewhere else. I tossed shads and avas and then played around with a popper and sp for awhile. Caught one short striper on a white shad. Then a bluefish about 5 lbs after that destroyed the shad so I stopped and went to the plugs. Nothing after that. The ocean was like a lake, maybe too calm?

fishinmission78
05-15-2015, 12:20 PM
OC this morning 5-7 before work. Some nice blues in the water eating bunker chunks. Got em to 10# before I had to leave for work.

plugcrazy
05-15-2015, 04:21 PM
Nice going on the bluefish! I was on the front ocean side of lbi today. Got one short striper on clams. then about a half hour before I was going to leave I had a massive hit that almost took my pole out of the holder! I ran to get it and hooked it good. It was a good fight for about 30 secs. It was on the bottom and wouldn't move. I thought it was a cownose ray or a giant striper. Then it started moving and I had to run down the beach with it. This only lasted for about another 30 secs and then the line broke. It came in cut clean. I had 30 lb braid and a 50lb leader and this fish cut right through it! I think it must of been a giant bluefish but I never knew bluefish to eat clam. Do you guys know what this fish could of been if it wasnt a big gorilla? thanks

fishrich
05-15-2015, 11:10 PM
Two of us fished OC 2pm - 8pm and had a pick of blues up to 10 pounds. We caught all our fish on metal. Did not see any visible bait.

fishinmission78
05-16-2015, 08:07 AM
Did not see any visible bait.

That's the interesting thing. Have not seen too much bait when I'm fishing other than the occasional bunker. The fish are still there though. Fished OC above the park this morning from 4-7 am near high tide. No bait showing but picked up one 27" bass and a few nice blues to 9# on a yellow SP.

Blazin420
05-16-2015, 08:15 AM
That's the interesting thing. Have not seen too much bait when I'm fishing other than the occasional bunker. The fish are still there though. Fished OC above the park this morning from 4-7 am near high tide. No bait showing but picked up one 27" bass and a few nice blues to 9# on a yellow SP.

Good night last night fished 8-1230am...Managed 12 bass dropped 4 and missed a bunch nothing huge biggest went 26in...Finally had some bait other then some bunker show up..These fish were feeding on big spearing snagged 1 after my first fish...Switched my offering to a 4in mag darter and my olive/white/black teaser...They were all over it...If you didnt match the spearing profile ya didnt catch!! Thats why ALWAYS no matter what time of year will fish a teaser!! Fun night! pic of the 26in

Monty
05-16-2015, 01:48 PM
..These fish were feeding on big spearing snagged 1 after my first fish...Switched my offering to a 4in mag darter and my olive/white/black teaser...They were all over it...If you didnt match the spearing profile ya didnt catch!! Thats why ALWAYS no matter what time of year will fish a teaser!!
Great report, congrats on the action.

buckethead
05-16-2015, 02:30 PM
Good night last night fished 8-1230am...Managed 12 bass dropped 4 and missed a bunch nothing huge biggest went 26in...Finally had some bait other then some bunker show up..These fish were feeding on big spearing snagged 1 after my first fish...Switched my offering to a 4in mag darter and my olive/white/black teaser...They were all over it...If you didnt match the spearing profile ya didnt catch!! Thats why ALWAYS no matter what time of year will fish a teaser!! Fun night! pic of the 26in

I noticed something similar in moco this morning. The surf had been dead for the last few days. Today there were spearing in the wash and a flurry of activity. Managed 4 little guys around sunrise on a small ava. Nice work blazing sounds like you had fun.

storminsteve
05-16-2015, 03:29 PM
Nice going fellas. I was out last night. Couldnt do too much on the fishing. Only 2 small blues on an sp. did find a lot of dead stuff though. NY is going to get crushed by NJ this year!

surferman
05-16-2015, 03:50 PM
Things have really died down in the big D so I went to cape may this morning from 5-9. The water looked pretty good. Not a lot of action where I was. I managed 1 skate one dogfish and 2 short stripers. I did see a guy get a nice bass around 40 inches. It was the only one that size I saw caught all morning. We were all using fresh clams.

jigfreak
05-16-2015, 05:04 PM
Picked up a few blues at first light in occo today. Small metal and teaser. They slowed down when it got light out.

SharkHart
05-16-2015, 08:36 PM
Coming off a 2 day fishing bender , ouch im sore, SNJ the big bass are in and Big Blues live i never seen before in that area to the south. Plugged up 10 or so Bass to 25 lbs had to cast all night then they would wander in periodically, if you put in the work you were rewarded. One of the highlights was me and 2 friends had a triple header, talk about a traffic jam with those 20plus going everywhich way Thursday before dark blues blitzed then friday night there was a 20 min big bass bunker blitz just out of range only one caught during that spurt but got the blood flowing watching those bunkies go airborn and spraying, saw 2 cormorants like dead in the flurry looking for an easy bunkie but hey man you look like topwater plug !

robmedina
05-17-2015, 07:09 AM
man you guys are doing great!
I fished the jetty on Friday took a nice fall, cracked my phone and sliced the tip of my pinky almost all the way off LOL. That's what I get for walking on the jetty and talking on the phone at the same time!
Was going to mix things up and go trout fishing yesterday but talked my family into hitting the beach. My MIL's boyfriend has a house in LBI and they have been inviting us down. Turns out there are two nice holes at the end of their street. Ended up with one blue about 8 lbs on bunker. Nothing touched the clam. I hooked up with a fish on a bucktail with rubber trailer but lost it after a few seconds, must have bit into the rubber.
I did have a nice pull on my penn squall set up- line flew out about 20-30 feet and then dropped it by the time I could get to the rod. Had to leave just as it started getting good.

basshunter
05-17-2015, 02:52 PM
Coming off a 2 day fishing bender , ouch im sore, SNJ the big bass are in and Big Blues live i never seen before in that area to the south. Plugged up 10 or so Bass to 25 lbs had to cast all night then they would wander in periodically, if you put in the work you were rewarded. One of the highlights was me and 2 friends had a triple header, talk about a traffic jam with those 20plus going everywhich way Thursday before dark blues blitzed then friday night there was a 20 min big bass bunker blitz just out of range only one caught during that spurt but got the blood flowing watching those bunkies go airborn and spraying, saw 2 cormorants like dead in the flurry looking for an easy bunkie but hey man you look like topwater plug !

Awesome report congrats! Do you mind sharing what plugs u got em on? thanks dude.

porgy75
05-17-2015, 03:52 PM
Fished out front in monmouth county today. Fished from seven to 10 I think the tide was going out. The water was dirty and brown the first 150 feet in close. I hope some of you guys at island beach caught because all I got today was the skunk! It was a nice morning out there but hardly anyone fishing. Maybe they knew something I didn't. sharkhart nice going you must have the magic touch!

ledhead36
05-17-2015, 09:52 PM
Kudos to the guys who are catching bass. Can't find a bass to save my *** for the last 2 weeks. We are getting some monster blues on fresh cut bunker. Haven't had time to report. best bite is top of the tide and cloudy days. 2 nights ago there were bunker schooled up in a harbor and at 6am the blues came in and made chopped and diced bunker out of em. couldn't find one bass under that mess tho. Will keep trying.

baitstealer
05-17-2015, 10:09 PM
^^^^^ At least you tried for them. I was in nomoco. There were 9 other guys there at 7am. The water was still coming in. I got one small blue on a krocodile spoon. One guy got 10 blues because he was casting further then anyone else. The rest of the guys only got one or two. Didn't see any stripers caught. One giant skate on clams and that was it.

baitstealer
05-17-2015, 10:19 PM
man you guys are doing great!
I fished the jetty on Friday took a nice fall, cracked my phone and sliced the tip of my pinky almost all the way off LOL. That's what I get for walking on the jetty and talking on the phone at the same time!
Was going to mix things up and go trout fishing yesterday but talked my family into hitting the beach.

Holy crap dude! Hope you had a good first aid kit in your car or truck!

hookedonbass
05-18-2015, 06:24 AM
good job shark hart!

buckethead
05-18-2015, 06:45 AM
Fished moco 4:30-6 today. Managed 2 short bass on bucktail and white grub. Also one short fluke. All released.

surferman
05-18-2015, 06:58 AM

Nice!

robmedina
05-18-2015, 07:01 AM
Holy crap dude! Hope you had a good first aid kit in your car or truck!
Electrical tape my brother!

robmedina
05-18-2015, 07:04 AM
If you didnt match the spearing profile ya didnt catch!! Thats why ALWAYS no matter what time of year will fish a teaser!!
Maybe now that the blues are thinning I can start fishing a teaser again.

seamonkey
05-18-2015, 09:47 AM
Hey what happened to the rainfish did they show up yet? Aren't teasers good for when they are around?

seamonkey
05-18-2015, 09:48 AM
Electrical tape my brother!
Electrical and duct tape is da bomb. I know some trailers in atlantic county that could not exist without it!

J Barbosa
05-18-2015, 10:05 AM
Fished Friday night and dropped two bass on the fly rod and missed another two hits.

Note to self...set the hook much harder on the fly rod next time. :banghead2:

Saw 8 deer up at the hook the other night...drive slow in the park at night guys.

buckethead
05-18-2015, 11:17 AM
If anyone is thinking of fishing the surf today I thought I might save you the trip. Just took a ride past some moco beaches on the way to lunch and the ocean is turning snotty. Not that fishable right now.

SharkHart
05-18-2015, 03:46 PM
well... first keeper :scared: Yozuri commercial too 19365

cowherder
05-18-2015, 04:05 PM
Mag darter in the mouth sideways? He must have whomped that plug and sucked it in quick! Nice fish!

Blazin420
05-18-2015, 04:14 PM
Nice fish Shark he really wanted that thing!!!

And JB is right those deer have been all over the Hook lately almost hit 1 last week when the fog was thick!! Shot out right infront of me luckily i was only doin about 25mph!!...Also had a fox stalking me when i was loading up the car to leave thing scared the hell out me haha

SharkHart
05-18-2015, 04:33 PM
19366 I had less problems with the woolf designs BIG darter

robmedina
05-18-2015, 09:19 PM
Nice fish Shark!

storminsteve
05-19-2015, 04:29 PM
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19366&stc=1 I had less problems with the woolf designs BIG darter

That looks like an awesome choice to fish the new moon with. How long is that plug in that pic. Nice bunch of fish btw.

baitstealer
05-19-2015, 04:35 PM
well... first keeper :scared: Yozuri commercial too http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19365&stc=1

What a big mouth. How much did that striper weigh?

SharkHart
05-19-2015, 04:48 PM
it was bouncing around 29lbs......the purple plugs is 7 inches and 3 oz

fishinmission78
05-19-2015, 04:56 PM
Fished the park 4-4:45 this morning. that's all the time I had and it was the beginning of the incoming prob a bad part of the tide. Very foggy out there. Managed one blue on pencil popper. Hoping for a bass but it was not to be. Very respectable fish shark. Nice going.

Blazin420
05-19-2015, 05:06 PM
Got out this am for a rare day light trip (for me thats rare)...Wanted to scout some spots i havent been to since the fall found a few nice new cuts...Fished from 630am-11am..Water looked perfect realllll "fishey"..Nice white water and green! Managed 1 dink about 20in @ the first stop on the mag darter...Then moved a lil and managed a real heart breaker a beautiful 19.5in fluke on a yellow BT/pork ...It really hurt to let that fish swim but regs are regs and ill be back this weekend to get him back..This spot is always good for some real nice flatties early in the season..Last year nailed 2 beautys there the 1st week it opened so i giot plenty of BTs and GULP ready to go..The best part of my day was finding about 30$ worth of lures at my first stop (thanks to the East wind and all the blues that probably chomped them off)Sp minnow,Tsunami talkin popper and a Bomber longshot...Ill be back to my vampire hours tomorrow nighthttp://www.stripersurf.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

lostatsea
05-20-2015, 07:50 PM
Nice fluke dude!
Fished moco this afternoon with not much results. Was trying to see if any fluke or other things were around to figure out a good spot before opening day. Got one short fluke at about 13". One skate and 2 sea robins. Bucktial and chartreuse gulp. Was pretty windy out there. Wind kept changing directions today.

fishrich
05-20-2015, 11:54 PM
Three of us fished OC from 1 pm to 7:30 pm and caught twenty bluefish that were 5 - 8 pounds. Most of the fish were caught on metal. The action died out before 7 pm. Only visible bait was a few bunker.

fishinmission78
05-21-2015, 09:04 AM
Pulled a few decent bluefish this morning before work from the park. Metal with green tube seemed to work for me. Good going fish rich. I only got a few today the water was too low. I think the fishing before dark has been better.

cowherder
05-21-2015, 09:23 AM
Fished nomoco from 5-7am. One short bass and 2 blues about 4-5lbs with bucktail and red pork rind. Didn't see any bait visible in the water. Where are all the bunker that are usually around this time of year?

porgy75
05-21-2015, 09:51 AM
CH I was thinking the same thing. I went down to the rocks in MoCo. Haven't been there in a while and there are hardly any rocks left. Looks like a giant construction project where the character of the surf is the loser. I remember every memorial day the bunker usually come in and guys catch big bass. I casted my 3 oz pencil popper for about a half hour. One feisty bluefish and not one striper. congrats at least you caught a striper to start the weekend off. Good luck to everyone this weekend and for the fluke!

buckethead
05-21-2015, 11:34 AM
I went down to the rocks in MoCo. Haven't been there in a while and there are hardly any rocks left. Looks like a giant construction project where the character of the surf is the loser. I remember every memorial day the bunker usually come in and guys catch big bass.

You probably can't count on that this memorial day. With all the replenishment the bunker are staying offshore in a lot of places. Yes for those people who haven't seen the jetties in awhile it will be a sad sight to see. And totally unnecessary. By next March half these jetties will be uncovered again. The life around them will be a dead zone though.

buckethead
05-21-2015, 11:34 AM
Fished moco this morning with bucktail/pork. Nothing for me. Beautiful sunrise.

DarkSkies
05-21-2015, 05:09 PM

Basic physics - look up the "laminar flow" and how it is applied to rivers.

"In a river without obstructions, the slowest moving water is near the bottom and the fastest is near the surface.

Eddies are created behind an obstruction as water fills in the void created by the obstruction.

The current behind an eddy is actually moving upstream.
Hydraulics occur as water flows over an obstruction and a slight depression forms behind it. Downstream water attempts to fill this void, creating an upstream flow toward the obstruction."

I'll translate into terms we fisherman can understand...

If the bottom of the river was perfectly flat the bottom would still create friction that would slow down the water movement.

The bottom is never flat and any bottom structure creates eddies that slow the water down (even small ripples in the bottom create eddies).

We know that most big fish are lazy.

The eddies and slower current allow big fish to sit/cruise at the bottom and conserve energy.

Try getting to the bottom of the river flowing at 4knts with your sp minnow ~.~

JB, Monty and I sometimes text and say terrible things to each other....just our way of ball busting...:laugh:..you have to have thick skin to stay in the game.....
Sometimes I have called JB a lazy fisherman....yep I have....:HappyWave:...we pull no punches when we're insulting each other.....;)

Laminar Flow...
But this response stuck out in my mind....
When I think of patterns...Spring and Fall....
I'm always trying to figure out the "Why" rather than just being content with fishing locations.....

When someone says something like this...you can tell they DO observe what's going on around them....
Nice job, JB...you do pay attention to what's going on around ya....great explanation....:thumbsup: :HappyWave:

buckethead
05-22-2015, 02:16 PM
Fished moco this morning with bucktail and pork. Low water the tide was just coming in. Managed one short bass and a mess of small blues. They have invaded.

basshunter
05-22-2015, 02:36 PM
Flat sand beach in northern oc. 9-11 am got some decent blues with crocodile. Ocean was pretty calm and there was no bait showing. Good luck to all this weekend it will be a madhouse between the bathers and the fishermen.

jigfreak
05-22-2015, 07:59 PM
Fished OC from 5-7:30 after work. The first hour was bad because it was low water and sucked. When the tide finally started coming in the action picked up. Got one runt bass and a handful of larger blues all above 8#. All on an sp. Windy, had to duck in a protected area to cast, but once I did it was ok.

hookedonbass
05-23-2015, 04:33 AM
Went to nomoco and fished hard last night. 30 of my closest friends were there lol. Not much going on just a few bluefish here and there. I got 2 medium sized tossing a magnum black bomber. The craziest thing was one guy was trying for stripers because there were bunker around. He was snagging bunker and all of a sudden we thought he had a big striper. When he reeled it in it was a large sturgeon about 20 lbs! He took a quick video and let it go. Pretty unusual to see something like that.

surferman
05-23-2015, 06:33 AM
Cool have never seen one of those caught in the surf!

robmedina
05-23-2015, 06:52 AM
Up until about a year ago I did not even realize sturgeon went into the salt. Interesting he got one in the surf.

lostatsea
05-23-2015, 12:04 PM
Worked a pencil popper in moco early am from 5-6:30. Maybe I was there the wrong time but it was dead for me. Picked up one blue and that was it. At least there weren't too many people around then. Have a great memorial day weekend guys and good luck! May go back out tonight or tomorrow there has to be more fish than that.

seamonkey
05-23-2015, 02:28 PM
Fished LBI this morning with a clam pole. Then was throwing metal with my other pole. Skate on the clam pole. 3 bluefish on metal. They stopped biting around 7. Nice morning and sunrise.

fishinmission78
05-23-2015, 02:34 PM
OC for a quick hour at sunup. Nothing for me. Low water will try again this afternoon.

buckethead
05-23-2015, 02:57 PM
Nothing much to report either. Fished clear water in moco. A little windy but not bad. Nada.

jigfreak
05-23-2015, 03:13 PM
South wind blows big time. That's all I have to say.
Good luck on the weekend gents. I think I'm done till tuesday.

cowherder
05-23-2015, 06:31 PM
Add me to the skunk patrol. Fished 4-6:30 in moco. just walked off. The south wind was terrible. Didn't see any bait or signs of fish or anyone catching. There were a bunch of boats pretty far off clustered together.Maybe bass maybe fluke. Hope someone was catching today because I wasn't. Might have to fish further north next time. where I was it was the dead sea.

cowherder
05-23-2015, 06:32 PM
Went to nomoco and fished hard last night. 30 of my closest friends were there lol. Not much going on just a few bluefish here and there. I got 2 medium sized tossing a magnum black bomber. The craziest thing was one guy was trying for stripers because there were bunker around. He was snagging bunker and all of a sudden we thought he had a big striper. When he reeled it in it was a large sturgeon about 20 lbs! He took a quick video and let it go. Pretty unusual to see something like that.

Thats awesome I found a petrified sturgeon on the beach last year. Check the dead things thread.

lostatsea
05-24-2015, 07:56 AM
Fished mo co first 2 hours including sunrise. Got 2 blues on a pencil popper and when the sun got bright it was all she wrote.

storminsteve
05-24-2015, 02:33 PM
The fishing sucked for me today. Went down at noon and fished an isolated beach with no bikinis. Was hoping for some good action at high tide comeing in but no luck.Back to fishing at night. Was just out there because we're visiting family for a BBQ and I wanted to wet a line.

storminsteve
05-24-2015, 02:34 PM
Thats awesome I found a petrified sturgeon on the beach last year. Check the dead things thread.

Yeah I remember that very cool find.

storminsteve
05-24-2015, 02:35 PM
South wind blows big time. That's all I have to say.
Good luck on the weekend gents. I think I'm done till tuesday.

i experienced the same thing today. Skunk ola with the south wind. Rarely fish the day time but high tide was at like 2pm. South wind Sucks!

storminsteve
05-25-2015, 09:52 AM
Went back last night to fish and moved the location a bit. From dark till 10 pm got into some good bluefish bites. Mag darter. No bass for me but still a lot of fun. They were really crushing those plugs though the bite was sporadic. Quite a few guys lost plugs. You can't fish for these fish with 20 lb leaders gents. They will slice through that like butter.

basshunter
05-25-2015, 09:58 AM
Fished OC from 4-6am this morning with pencil popper before there were too many people on the beach. Got one striper 27" and 3 nice blues up to 8lbs. They really wanted that popper and it was fun to see them jump out of the water to get it. Once the sun hit the horizon it was over. Good luck to everyone and happy memorial day!

porgy75
05-25-2015, 10:40 AM
Well I am at sandy hook with the family today. Hearing of guys catching fish on poppers I tried it for a bit this morning. The ocean was nice and flat and there was no signs of life. Nothing for me. I saw some other guys fishing bait and all they got was skates. I think I will bring my pole out later on and try my luck again. Happy memorial day to everyone as well.

seamonkey
05-25-2015, 11:56 AM
Cape May from 4:30 to 7:30. Reports of big bass in the surf but I couldn't find one to save my life. Got a few skates and dogfish. fresh bunker and clams. Go figure.

baitstealer
05-25-2015, 05:16 PM
moco this afternoon. Very windy and hard to cast out. didn't see much fishing going on. Gave up after an hour. Tight lines guys.

SharkHart
05-25-2015, 11:13 PM
Thursday and friday night then boat saturday afternoon made me sick and sore since then but a few at night , had to really work for them, then the bunker fields didnt really have a bite going on sat off Ortley, so we dropped spoons and lost two serious, we had a mishap with the boat in gear too long and the second fish nearly spooled me before breaking off 193771937819379

seamonkey
05-26-2015, 09:42 AM
Nice! Those are some fat looking bass.
love the bunker school pic also. What did you catch those fish on at night if you don't mind my asking?

buckethead
05-26-2015, 09:54 AM
Good going sharkhart. I fished moco this morning. Water was very cold. I think the S wind the last few days shut the surf bite down for a bit until the sun comes on strong for a day or 2. Nothing for me.

SharkHart
05-26-2015, 10:27 AM
Nice! Those are some fat looking bass.
love the bunker school pic also. What did you catch those fish on at night if you don't mind my asking?

Daiwa SP Minnows have been the main stay, darter if the current gets going. the night of my hot bite last week I finally did well with bunker type metal lip swimmers which I never catch fish on, but it became clear they were in trough and other lures were dragging.

One more pic 19382

cowherder
05-27-2015, 09:27 AM
Nice stripers you got there sharkhart! Fished nomoco last night from 8-11. Picked at some nice blues. Medium sized. Black magdarter.

cowherder
05-28-2015, 08:47 AM
Went to SH last night and they closed north beach for the plovers again. Went a little further south. It was windy and I got the skunk. I hate those plovers so bad.

buckethead
05-29-2015, 11:21 AM
Fished moco this morning from 4-6. Pretty decent waves and water no fish for me.