PDA

View Full Version : stocking foot waders and the sand that gets in the boot.

robmedina
05-19-2015, 06:32 AM
just thought I would share incase anyone else has this issue.
I have stocking foot waders. They are lighter and easier to walk in than boot foot, at least for me and my budget. For the last few years I have had to deal with sand getting into my boots and talking with a lot of other surf anglers that wear stocking foot waders it seemed like it was something you had to deal with.

I kept inspecting my boots and wondered how such a large amount of sand could get into my boots. I mean it was instant, as soon as I stood in the surf and the wave would descend my boot would fill. Seemed like it was my right foot more than my left, It even got so bad that the sand crushed my toe inside the boot that my toe nail got black and fell off. Took over a year for it to grow back.

The only thing I can find that would allow the sand in was the little weep holes at the base of the boot right under the arch. It surprises me that so much sand can pass through such a small hole in a short period of time.

OK, so this year- new boots were in order. I sought out to find a pair that did not have weep holes and yet was still in my budget. I came across a pair from Cabelas- (a cabelas brand- this is the generalization part of the post- I don't know exactly which model I got but if any one is interested I can look it up) the description said mesh sides for water drainage or something like that. I gave them a shot. They also come with studs to screw into the bottom- a plus as maybe I wouldn't need to attach my korkers.

Well the studs aren't as good as korkers- maybe I need to get a set of the carbide bits to install. these ones are really just 5/16 sheet metal screws- at least that's what they look like.

But the biggest surprise was when I went into the surf with them. very minor sand got in- I stood in the surf- wave after wave crashing over my legs, my feet sinking further into the sand- These boots worked perfect!!!

So I just wanted to throw a long winded post out to say- if you are getting sand in your boots consider a mesh discharge as opposed to weep holes.

cowherder
05-19-2015, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the tip. That has been an issue for me too with the sand, will have to check them out.

J Barbosa
05-19-2015, 09:25 AM
I had always worn boot foot waders but my last pair was stocking foot (as I had the kayak).

I don't think I could ever go back to stocking foot again for surf fishing. Yes you do get a little bit of comfort when walking but if you don't size them just right you end up with sand in your boots and they will leak from the bootfoot first.

The biggest pain for me was when I wanted to fish 3-5 spots in a night I would have to take them off and they are harder to put on with sand in them. The bootfoot models just slide right on and off.

I bought a LL Bean pair in December and they are already starting to show signs of wear from walking (so much for the arm chair fisherman calling me lazy)......:naughty:

storminsteve
05-19-2015, 04:18 PM
The biggest pain for me was when I wanted to fish 3-5 spots in a night I would have to take them off and they are harder to put on with sand in them. The bootfoot models just slide right on and off.

Had that happen to me too. really sucks!

surfrob
05-21-2015, 11:11 AM
Had that happen to me too. really sucks!

solution:

1. drive a junker
2. http://www.weathertech.com/floor-mats-all-weather/?gclid=CMHptZqP08UCFQioaQodcCYAeA

rockhopper
05-21-2015, 02:09 PM
Well the studs aren't as good as korkers- maybe I need to get a set of the carbide bits to install. these ones are really just 5/16 sheet metal screws- at least that's what they look like.

So I just wanted to throw a long winded post out to say- if you are getting sand in your boots consider a mesh discharge as opposed to weep holes.

Thanks for the tips dude. I think they make some replacement kits that might be better than that. Check e-bay or amazon.

DarkSkies
05-21-2015, 04:46 PM
I bought a LL Bean pair in December and they are already starting to show signs of wear from walking (so much for the arm chair fisherman calling me lazy)......:naughty:

I think I should have qualified that statement......
You're a little less lazy this year......:laugh:
Than you were last year......:moon:
Still....running a motor on your kayak....does bring down your claim to not being lazy....just a bit....:rolleyes:

Nice job on the weight loss...you must be doing something right...way to go...Pal....:thumbsup: :HappyWave:

And yes.....I'm still an Arm Chair Fisherman.....:2flip: :HappyWave:

jigfreak
05-22-2015, 07:56 PM

Good point when you are driving and fishing not a big deal. When you walk all night it's smart to be prepared. The biggest pita is taking your boots off to get that sand out because each of those weighs an extra 10 pds.