PDA

View Full Version : hogys and blues pefect together?

hookedonbass
06-12-2015, 07:02 PM
I read in the reports where monty was using hogy's and got some fish to hit. Aren't you guys worried about getting them chopped when the blues are around? If you are having success with them is there a way to lessen the chance of attracting blues? I know they are expensive so before I started using mine thought I would ask for some advice here. thanks

fishinmission78
06-12-2015, 07:31 PM
I dont use them when blues are around. Maybe thats just me. I do think you can cut your cost down so its not so painful to have one come back like a cigar butt. I think he is called the rubber man. Sells hogys sluggos and such. I read a thread on here about him some time ago.

Monty
06-12-2015, 08:55 PM
I read in the reports where monty was using hogy's and got some fish to hit. Aren't you guys worried about getting them chopped when the blues are around? If you are having success with them is there a way to lessen the chance of attracting blues? I know they are expensive so before I started using mine thought I would ask for some advice here. thanks

I use them but when one gets hit by a blue usually I change to something else.
At night sometimes I find it hard to get a blue to hit, they will hit the Hogy often, so at the least I will know some blues are in the area, then adjust accordingly.

I dont use them when blues are around. Maybe thats just me. I do think you can cut your cost down so its not so painful to have one come back like a cigar butt. I think he is called the rubber man. Sells hogys sluggos and such. I read a thread on here about him some time ago.

Not sure he is selling to everyone. I know he has a group of guys that buy a bunch from him and he can only make so many.
Sometimes Hogy (on their sight) has a sale or clearance. That's when I buy mine.
I get there e-mails with their sale items and always check what they have on sale.

DarkSkies
06-24-2015, 08:10 AM
I use them but when one gets hit by a blue usually I change to something else.
At night sometimes I find it hard to get a blue to hit, they will hit the Hogy often, so at the least I will know some blues are in the area, then adjust accordingly.

Monty makes a good point here...people.
It's one of his trademark moves, getting a hogy bit in half by a bluefish.....;) :HappyWave:

There are a lot of people who don't view bluefish as challenging or worthy to target because they claim they will "hit anything". That may be true during a daytime blitz, but not so true at night......

There are plenty of times I have found bluefish at night....they are focused on small bait....and won't aggressively hit many types of artificials....:huh:
At those times fishermen will assume there are no fish there, and move on.....

But...if you're willing to experiment a bit....sometimes you can tease or provoke them to hit....
And a weightless hogy, or rubber eel of some sort.......is something they can't resist.....

I used to bust Monty about getting his hogy's chopped by a bluefish....
Sometimes, as he said, it's effective to sacrifice one......to see if there are any fish there at all....
Similar to working a popper loudly in a bay area at night....to bring scattered bluefish in.....

Monty also had a habit of using little rubber tubes as teasers...the miniaturized ones, not the standard sizes....and would often pull a few fish out of an area when the primary forage was small bait.......when no one else was catching...:thumbsup: :fishing:

finchaser
06-25-2015, 09:15 AM
DOA jerk bait great for blues ask Dark how I do with them and 4.95 for 12

DarkSkies
06-27-2015, 11:35 AM
^ DOA Jerk Bait
Most people would not believe how deadly these are, unless they saw Fin in action working them in the water column.....
They are relatively inexpensive.....and if fish are there......he's usually into them within a few minutes.......

Remember the YMMV that I always talk about....
Fin is a true pro the way he works rubber......his technique is so good that often he's into a fish within the first few casts....they are sometimes at different levels in the water column.....

When you're fishing with him....the other old timers....all good fishermen....are usually working the rubber for a few minutes before they're in...and the OGB is usually the first one to say "I'm in!".......:headbang:

It sure frustrates the hell out of Joe Melillo......
Those 2 have a fishing rivalry that reminds me of the Grumpy Old Men movies....:argue:
It's entertaining to see them go back and forth and bash each other....over who's the better fisherman......:HappyWave:

surferman
06-27-2015, 12:24 PM
So it seems like the doa's will resemble lots of bait fish. Any luck with them when the sand eels are around? Or would the tsunami eels work better? Thanks