PDA

View Full Version : Does catch and release matter if the fish is dead?

strikezone31
07-15-2015, 12:32 PM
Usually I keep every legal fish I am entitled to so I don't want anyone to think I am a tree hugger. I was amazed at this recent video I saw of the karen ann. The guy throws back a 40 pounder which just sinks to the bottom after it is tossed in on its back. No movement of the fish at all that I could see.
Check it out, starts at 30 secs into the video. What do you guys think? did that fish live or was it dead?
thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es69KIoruiM

Monty
07-15-2015, 01:02 PM
What a piece of $hit crew.
Boat belongs on the bottom of the ocean.
That's about the nicest thing I can say about that.
All the releases in the video are absolutely unacceptable.

Show some respect for the fish.

jigfreak
07-15-2015, 02:27 PM
Yea I agree. Not hating, hope it's not taken that way. it's nice to see some guys get into some bigger fish. But that fish is definitely

crab food.

cowherder
07-15-2015, 04:49 PM
hey maybe I'm wrong here but should the captain take responsibility for releasing the fish in a situation like that?

that look like a small Boat to me I would think the captain has the ultimate responsibility. unless he is a dbag and really doesn't care. my two cents

J Barbosa
07-15-2015, 05:17 PM
The dorsal fins were up which is a good sign that the fish is in good shape.

Obviously it would be better to get some water over the gills before letting them go but I think those fish will be okay.

You can see the first fish start to swim to the bottom as he was sinking.

captnemo
07-15-2015, 08:33 PM

I agree that is a good point.

Respectfully disagree on the rest of it. I was fluking in RB yesterday. The water was 76. Another Capt friend of mine was fluking on sunday and he took a surface water reading of 80. I don't have all the stats in front of me. I do know in warmer water bass take longer to revive and should be put back in the water quick if you are not keeping them.

I wish someone could post the mortality and temperature correlation. I know it must be in these forums somewhere. While I agree that the first fish was probably fine, I would have to agree with the OP that the 2nd fish did not survive. Bigger bass need a little extra care before putting them back or the internal organs will be stressed. I did not see any of that care given by the fares on the boat in the video. I don't want to down a Capt for making a living but someone could have been doing a better job on those releases. Especially if they were going to showcase it to the general public.

buckethead
07-16-2015, 07:09 AM
I do know in warmer water bass take longer to revive and should be put back in the water quick if you are not keeping them.

I wish someone could post the mortality and temperature correlation. I know it must be in these forums somewhere. While I agree that the first fish was probably fine, I would have to agree with the OP that the 2nd fish did not survive.

Here is one part of that.
stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?7636-Striped-Bass-out-of-water-survival

I agree most of those fish probably did survive though it is hard to tell. That 40lb fish I am not sure about. There is no movement on it as it slowly sinks to the bottom. The release methods could certainly have been better. You need to agitate the fish in the water for at least a short while. What Capt said is absolutely true about bigger fish. The small schoolies are more adaptible.

storminsteve
07-16-2015, 06:28 PM
I can't say for sure because I was not there. It does look like they are launching the bass back in the water like missiles. Would it really be an inconvenience to spend an extra 30 secs to revive them and get the water going in there gills and the tails moving a bit before they let them go?
finchaser said something in the other thread about try to imagine holding our breath under water. I think that makes sense and have heard that as well. I think capt nemo made a good point about the water temperature being high. That has to stress them too. Like I said not an expert but I do think the releases could have been done just a little more carefully. Especially if they put the video out there for all to see.

bababooey
07-21-2015, 09:05 AM
I don't think you guys should assume. It breaks down to this when you asume-- as* / u / me.;)

Monty
07-21-2015, 09:57 AM
I don't think you guys should assume. It breaks down to this when you asume-- as* / u / me.;)

Assume what? That their fish releasing skills are absolutely unacceptable? That they are making a mockery of releasing Bass? That they have absolutely zero respect for Striped Bass? Watching that video I am assuming nothing.

voyager35
07-21-2015, 10:59 AM
The way I have usually put bigger bass back is to run them slowly in the water along the gunwale and look for their tail movement.
I watched that video and I would say it is possible some of those Bass lived. I think to assume that they all lived that would be the real assumption.
I don't want to start a flame war here just stating my experience. I do feel they could have been coached better in their release methods. Jmo

bababooey
07-21-2015, 07:39 PM
Assume what? That their fish releasing skills are absolutely unacceptable? That they are making a mockery of releasing Bass? That they have absolutely zero respect for Striped Bass? Watching that video I am assuming nothing.

That's what I saw as well. I guess we can agree to disagree then monty.:lookhappy:

Monty
07-21-2015, 10:29 PM
That's what I saw as well. I guess we can agree to disagree then monty.:lookhappy:
Yes, no problem with that :HappyWave:.
I just have such a hatred towards fishing boats its impossible for me to be impartial.

bababooey
07-22-2015, 09:52 AM
No worries.We all have our issues.:HappyWave:

BassBuddah
07-23-2015, 04:11 PM
The nicest way to put it is some folks take more care releasing than others. Some recent releases by Capt Jeff Nichols of Second Choice charters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1SE2FNfskM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctfDEcfGPbQ