PDA

View Full Version : Just when you thought NJ fluke population was recovered-

bababooey
07-15-2015, 11:37 PM
They want to cut the quota by 40%. what gives?:2flip:
From the Ristori blog-
"The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) Scientific and Statistical Committee will later this month be considering a report from the NMFS Northeast Fisheries Science Center which blames summer flounder overfishing in 2014 relative to the biological reference points for mortality much greater than had been previously reported. As a result, the study called for not only a 43 percent reduction in the overall summer flounder quota for 2016 -- but for an additional 31 percent in 2017 and 17 percent in 2018 -- from 2015 levels.

Tom Fote, N.J. Governor's Appointee to the ASMFC, says this would be a disaster for the state's fluke fisheries. As I've frequently pointed out, the public has been getting the short end of that quota since it was established -- with only 40 percent for recreational fishing even though NMFS figures from prior to management had the recreational component at about 70 percent.

If those reductions are put in place, there will have to be some combination of an increase in minimum length, shorter season and lower bag limit that could cripple the already struggling recreational fishing industry -- and that's before any possible overfishing of this year's quota."

buckethead
07-16-2015, 06:39 AM
Incredibly short sighted.

porgy75
07-16-2015, 07:14 AM
40% thats crazy. I can barely catch any keepers now. About one in every 40 fluke for me. How about you guys?

clamchucker
07-16-2015, 07:21 AM
They limit the season on almost every other fishery. It's natural the fluke would get more pressure. I don't believe the quota should be cut by that much though. Someone should get the SSFFF to address this.

finchaser
07-16-2015, 03:52 PM
It's because we are regional with NY and CT and they always go over also they were warned about the 16 inch fish at Island beach that the JCAA so desperately needed they were warned at the meeting.
Also Fote fought to keep size at 18" he was warned at the meeting
Trust me he fought for 2 bass and a bonus fish that will bite us in the arsh next year
The SSFFF is on it we were made aware of this last month

finchaser
07-16-2015, 04:07 PM
Just for the record, JCAA plans to help out. I will be discussing the situation with SSFFF in the near future. JCAA has been operating in the red for the last three years but we are hoping for a much bigger profit from our fluke tournament this year. We were hammered by horrible weather during our tournaments the last two years. We have added incentives this year and hope to have good weather. The more money we make the more we will be able to contribute.

Paul Haertel
President, JCAA

After never giving a dime all these years time to cover there *** once again

storminsteve
07-16-2015, 06:31 PM
Wow with all the prolems with the other fish they want to restrict fluke too? Next thing you know the only fish we will be able to catch without all the hassles are skates and sea robins! Thanks for the updates finchaser. It is good to see at least some groups are on the case. I remember reading about the ssfff and all they do.

storminsteve
07-16-2015, 06:33 PM
Paul Haertel
President, JCAA

After never giving a dime all these years time to cover there *** once again

I think part of the reason they are in bad shape is they have these tourneys in bad weather with no alternate dates. Don't spend too much time in tourneys but if I did I would like to see that there was an alternate date available. Especially when safety is concerned. Not everyone has 250k to go out and buy a regulator. Small boats are at risk in big seas. My .02

baitstealer
07-16-2015, 06:50 PM
40% thats crazy. I can barely catch any keepers now. About one in every 40 fluke for me. How about you guys?

same for me lol. Its like you keep fishing and fishing. Just to pass the time you look at the bikinis on the beach. Then by fluke 25 or 30 when you are ogling the smallest bikini and least expect it you get whacked by a keeper!

Monty
07-16-2015, 08:47 PM
It's because we are regional with NY and CT and they always go over also they were warned about the 16 inch fish at Island beach that the JCAA so desperately needed they were warned at the meeting.
Also Fote fought to keep size at 18" he was warned at the meeting
Trust me he fought for 2 bass and a bonus fish that will bite us in the arsh next year
The SSFFF is on it we were made aware of this last month

Was thinking about this too. LOL, he is screwing this state every-which way.
Fote should be exiled from this state. Want to blame an organization or person for this mess? TOM FOTE.

finchaser
07-16-2015, 08:54 PM
I think part of the reason they are in bad shape is they have these tourneys in bad weather with no alternate dates. Don't spend too much time in tourneys but if I did I would like to see that there was an alternate date available. Especially when safety is concerned. Not everyone has 250k to go out and buy a regulator. Small boats are at risk in big seas. My .02

No people are fed up with their BS and don't enter last year they had around 140 boats down from like 1000 when they did stuff. Remember their tournament is for the whole state when we first asked for a donation for the SSFFF they no year after year and reported having over 6 figures in their account.