PDA

View Full Version : weed when fishing what do you do?

seamonkey
07-20-2015, 09:33 AM
I fished a few times in the last month. Beginning was ok now it seems like there is lots of weeds. What do you guys do when that happens. Is it just a full moon thing or more from the summer and the fertilizer runoff?

Monty
07-20-2015, 10:01 AM
I have had to deal with weeds a lot recently (could use as many ideas as possible for help).
As a couple guys have recommended to me on this site, move.
I did this the past trip and found a spot with a lot less weeds.

Also some times a lot of the weeds are in close, so the last 20 feet of the cast are screwed, but the majority of the presentation is OK.

I have also had to keep the plug on the top of the water at times then there were lots of weeds submerged (last trip).

And have noticed that the weeds at inlets on full and new moon tides at times can be atrocious. I will certainly be taking that into consideration when I fish an inlet.

Single hook plugs help a little like Tsunami eels (just a little).

J Barbosa
07-20-2015, 10:18 AM
There is a lot of small baitfish that rely on weeds for cover. If your fishing an inlet on the moon tides try focusing around the periods of slower water when the weeds will be more tolerable.

If your getting weeds in slow/stagnant water then just move.

Less hardware....alberto knot instead of swivel type thing. Get rid of the clip too and tie direct. Single hook plugs like Monty mentioned and rig them with a weed guard.

Pencil popper comes to mind. It stays out of the water and any weeds that it happens to catch should get flung off anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzQxrAbrC2I

wish4fish
07-20-2015, 01:15 PM
haha thought this thread was about smoking weed when fishing lol. never mind. jbarbose thats awesome have to try with a bluefish or croaker.

surferman
07-20-2015, 04:43 PM
Good advice I usually just move up or down the beach. Def don't stay there it's pure misery.

7deadlyplugs
07-22-2015, 06:32 PM
Jbarbosa good one lol.

storminsteve
07-23-2015, 12:24 AM
I have occasionally imbibed over the years. Unlike Bill Clinton I did inhale. Being married don't get too much of a chance to do it lately. The wife does not approve. I like fish. Never would I carve a hole in one and make a pipe out of it though. Some of the people on youtube are REALLY out there. WAAAAAAAAAAY out there.:kooky::laugh: