PDA

View Full Version : NJ Fishing Reports for September 2015 - www. StripersAndAnglers.com

DarkSkies
09-01-2015, 10:19 AM
NJ Fishing Reports for September 2015 - www. StripersAndAnglers.com
Short and sweet......

1. Post your fishing reports here.....
2. Be as specific as ya want....but remember the limited access....If you don't enjoy fishing next to 40 friends at night in a 400 foot section of beach, think before ya post.....:idea:

3. Location -
Out front....
out back.....
or the county...

further details on the first page of any past S&A monthly fishing reports.

4. Moderation...
I rarely have time to moderate these threads.
If something needs to be addressed,and you are a contributing member.....please PM me or send an e-mail via the report post button.

** Thanks for your cooperation and for being such a great group! :thumbsup:

**Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post. If you began to register and can't post, check your spam folder for your activation instructions.
If you are not able to post or have problems logging on, making sure this is correct will most likely fix your problem. Thanks. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
09-01-2015, 10:30 AM
Late Summer Recap
September is usually a great month for fishing, as local waters cool down and back bay areas get filled up with bait.

Some observations.....
1. The highly touted Montauk summer bite of larger fish has started up again, but mostly in the RIPS and Elbow........
People who claim how healthy the fishery is would be well-advised to turn the pages back 15 years and compare the catches then, to now....
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8039-Why-are-there-no-fish-in-Montauk-right-now
(http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8039-Why-are-there-no-fish-in-Montauk-right-now)
2. There has been a resurgence of a bite at Orient Point...
Again, anyone claiming this fishery to be healthier than ever, should turn those same pages back 10-15 years, and see what the Captains were catching then, as compared to now....

3.Several of the usual Secondary locations have been dead or holding very few bass......despite tremendous bait concentrations in those areas......

I sincerely hope that will change in the next 30 days or so....
Wishing all readers and their families Best of luck for the Fall....:fishing: :HappyWave:

finchaser
09-01-2015, 12:43 PM
This morning 2 to 5 AM released 5 bass to 29" and 2 cocktail blues

buckethead
09-01-2015, 06:26 PM
Excellent to hear finchaser. fished moco this morning on the incoming tide. It was pretty low when I got out there. Lots of spearing and rainfish have showed up in the surf. Only one large stargazer for me.

seamonkey
09-02-2015, 01:35 PM
This morning 2 to 5 AM released 5 bass to 29" and 2 cocktail blues

You are out there fishing at 2am? That is some dedication very cool.

finchaser
09-03-2015, 10:20 AM
Played the tide 11 PM to 3 AM last night had 7 bass to 26" all on pink finesse

hookset
09-03-2015, 12:52 PM
finchaser love the reports. Everyone else is whining about beach replenishment no bass waiting for the fall run to start and you are out there every night getting base hits or at least trying to get onto base. Way to go sir.
I was out in the back last night. Some snapper blues and a hickory shad saved me from the skunk. Bait was everywhere. I went with a chicken scratch bomber and teaser. All fish hit the teaser.

cowherder
09-03-2015, 08:02 PM
He's right you are making all us younger whippersnappers look like mommas boys because you are fishing no matter what and most of us are slackers! Nice job

storminsteve
09-03-2015, 09:57 PM
Must be that magic pond. Or maybe he sprinkles fairy dust on the water before he casts into it. whatever it is he's got the touch. Fished out back moco tonight and there was all this bait jumping out of the water being chased by small snappers. Spearing and peanut bunker in the house. Even found a few mashed up ones where I was. No love for me. Congrats finchaser hope you aren't offended.:) I'm just feeling a little googanish at not being able to find one striper or blue. I think the table is set and the next 2 weeks can only get better.

VSdreams
09-04-2015, 12:32 AM
I agree with the table is set analogy. Fished in the back of rb tonight around a harbor. Lord there was so much bait. The water was real warm tho and I got the skunk. Once that water gets a little cooler it will be a very bad time to be a bunker or mullet.

finchaser
09-04-2015, 02:04 AM
tonight 11pm to 1:30 AM south wind shut it down as usual 2 bass to 20 " my partner had a teaser on and was inundated by shad

jigfreak
09-04-2015, 11:49 AM
Wind from the south fish shut their mouth. A serving of skunk for me last night as well.

hookset
09-04-2015, 02:34 PM
That's old school. Wind from the east fish bite the least. Wind from the north dont go forth. Wind from the west fish bite best. Wind from the south fish shut their mouths. Hey sometimes you just have to be out there. Congrats on the catching and perseverance FC. Looks like we're in for some wind in the next 48 hours.

bababooey
09-04-2015, 03:07 PM
There's a small craft advisory from tropical depression Fred.
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/

finchaser
09-04-2015, 04:44 PM
Storm is 2700 miles from here and headed NE
This weather is from a cold front and low moving out of Carolina's

jigfreak
09-04-2015, 10:12 PM
Just a little windy out tonight. Went out back for a few hours to find a place with the wind at my back and fish the incoming. One short bass on rubber jig and a nice whack that came back with scratch marks but not chopped. Hoping it was a nicer weakie but I never saw the fish so can't be sure. Best of luck this weekend with the crowds and insanity fellas. Already saw one drunk driving checkpoint so far.

finchaser
09-05-2015, 02:28 PM
Fish 10:30 pm to 2 AM released 9 bass to 29" all on jig head and 5 " DOA my partner had 7

surferman
09-05-2015, 03:53 PM
Holy moly you are crushing it congrats! Guess burning the midnight oil does pay off.

finchaser
09-05-2015, 05:37 PM
Holy moly you are crushing it congrats! Guess burning the midnight oil does pay off.
tides are right and bait and wind are good too except fot the south winds where I am in the back

Next week back to mornings:clapping:

buckethead
09-06-2015, 12:03 PM
Fished moco from 5-6 hoping for a stray bass. The surf was a little big and not much success. Was tossing an ava with green tail. Managed 2 cocktail blues. Thought I spotted some mullet beyond the surf break but it was a little difficult to tell with the rougher water.

buckethead
09-06-2015, 12:05 PM
tides are right and bait and wind are good too except fot the south winds

I think the fishing might be better around the top of the tide and agree. I'm too old to get up at 1am to fish the night time any more. I salute you sir for doing that. I also agree about the south wind today it was ESE. I really don't like that south wind.

finchaser
09-06-2015, 02:07 PM
I think the fishing might be better around the top of the tide and agree. I'm too old to get up at 1am to fish the night time any more. I salute you sir for doing that. I also agree about the south wind today it was ESE. I really don't like that south wind.

It wears me out some times too I'm 66 but my 3 older friends, who fish with me one of which is 76 gives me the when I was your age sermon. He's with me almost daily as we don't fish alone much anymore.

J Barbosa
09-07-2015, 06:23 AM
Another boat beached himself at the false hook last night. Looks to be a 20' walk around.

captnemo
09-07-2015, 09:32 AM
On Saturday some friends of mine at the marina said someone had to rescue a man from a Hobie sailboat that overturned in Sandy Hook Bay. it took awhile for them to find him. A few rescue boats were involved.

ledhead36
09-07-2015, 09:43 AM
Went to go fishing last night in the back. way too many people and people partying on the beach. will be back at it this week hopefully some stripers will show up.

robmedina
09-07-2015, 03:34 PM
fished the lower Mullica river. Got a bunch of snappers on light tackle and one 13-14" schoolie Striper. I also got a baby weakfish on fishbites- good to see that. I am glad its labor day- the fishing should be less crowded.

buckethead
09-08-2015, 11:02 AM
I was happy to see the crowds diminish as well. moco this morning there wasn't much going on.
The ocean was pretty calm. I did see some mullet in the surf.
nothing much was bothering them Though. skunk for me

J Barbosa
09-08-2015, 11:16 AM
Fished on Saturday had 2 keeper fluke and 2 shorts before switching over to porgies. We managed 8 nice keepers before running out of bait.

Sunday we covered many miles of water to find 5 short fluke. Almost happy to see Fluke 2015 come to a close; what a terrible year for most.

Monday we went 60 miles offshore in a friend's boat. We found plenty of fish about 10 miles away from the fleet. Ended up with a 5 man limit of yellowfin and all the skippies you could want. The albies were mixed in but nowhere near as thick as last time. Jigs and chunks both working equally well.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5732/21247143695_4a0a895f5b_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ynxazH)
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5728/20626003513_c2806b2e57_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/xqDEfe)

surferman
09-08-2015, 11:35 AM
Wow that's a very respectable haul you managed there.
what about those skipjacks do they taste like other tuna and how do you prepare them? Thanks

VSdreams
09-08-2015, 11:46 AM
Sashimi galore- nice!!!!

Blazin420
09-08-2015, 04:10 PM
Awesome job John...Got out this am from 730-130pm...Covered ALOT of sand and could only find 2 fluke!!!!http://www.stripersurf.com/images/smilies/nixweiss.gif http://www.stripersurf.com/images/smilies/no.gif ....1 was 14in the other 17in...What a bummer this fluke season has beenhttp://www.stripersurf.com/images/smilies/no.gif ...Lots and lots of spearing and snappers in the wash caught about 20 snappers and live lined the smaller ones with no luck....Also saw a school of happy mullet just cruising the wash with out a worry in the world...Was thinking of going back out this evening but its to friggin hot out!!LOL...Cant wait for those fall temps....On a positive note its nice to have the beaches back...Was all alone for a good portion of the morning

basshunter
09-09-2015, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the reports gents. I worked some structure in moco last night. There was a ****load of bait. Nothing for me.

Blazing I remember reading where your wife was pregnant. Did you guys have the baby yet? If so congrats. Boy or girl?

J Barbosa
09-09-2015, 10:02 AM
Wow that's a very respectable haul you managed there.
what about those skipjacks do they taste like other tuna and how do you prepare them? Thanks

Not sure, I have never eaten one myself.

I was always under the impression that they were not good table fare. After some Google searches it looks like some people enjoy eating them and others don't. Most recommend eating them in sushi or sashimi.

I didn't keep any myself but maybe next time if we don't have any real tuna I will bring one home myself to try.

I was under the impression that the guy who was with us kept these two for shark bait.

jigfreak
09-09-2015, 11:46 AM
Good going jb. A buddy of mine got into some albies yesterday within a half mile from shore. went looking for them this morning but could not find anything but a few small blue fish on the metal that I was throwing. Will try for them later in the week.

buckethead
09-10-2015, 10:27 AM
Out in moco this morning fishing the high tide. A little drizzle with some small rollers. Mullet were definitely travelling through. Picked up 2 short bass and one small bluefish with a buck and pork around first light.

porgy75
09-10-2015, 10:33 AM
Cool maybe the mullet will get the stripers and blues biting again.

hookedonbass
09-10-2015, 10:41 AM
Nice job on the catching.

baitstealer
09-10-2015, 11:49 AM
Well I must be the worlds biggest idiot. Went out last night to a river in monmouth county. There was mountains of small bait. Saw some fish jumping but must of been snapper blues. Didn't see any stripers or bigger fish. I casted a black bomber, and a SP for over an hour. Not a sniff on these 2 killer lures. Am I doing something wrong or will we have to wait a while for bigger fish to show up where all this bait is? thanks

ledhead36
09-10-2015, 11:57 AM
They are feeding on peanuts adn mullet. Give them what they are eating and you will catch. Honestly the catching hasn't been that great for us and we are using fresh bait every night. Last night we got a few blues to 6pounds early evening. Tossing fresh mullet and peanut bunker. The problem is there is so much bait and so few schools of fish chasing them other than the snappers.
There is not too many reasons for them to hit a plug unless you find a place where they are less concentrated. Then you will have a better chance. Or just get yourself a cast net and throw fresh out there. Stripers should be here soon. In the meantime good luck you can't catch them from the couch.

cowherder
09-10-2015, 01:14 PM
Good point thanks. No fish on the couch love that! Fall is just around the corner gents let's go fishing.:fishing:
I fished nomoco last nite and got the skunk. Like others said there is bait all over. Soon it will be very sad to be a mullet or peanut bunker!

storminsteve
09-10-2015, 04:11 PM
Nice trys guys the table is set. Fish should be on the way.

storminsteve
09-10-2015, 04:12 PM
They are feeding on peanuts adn mullet. Give them what they are eating and you will catch. Honestly the catching hasn't been that great for us and we are using fresh bait every night. Last night we got a few blues to 6pounds early evening. Tossing fresh mullet and peanut bunker. The problem is there is so much bait and so few schools of fish chasing them other than the snappers.
There is not too many reasons for them to hit a plug unless you find a place where they are less concentrated. Then you will have a better chance. Or just get yourself a cast net and throw fresh out there. Stripers should be here soon. In the meantime good luck you can't catch them from the couch.

Always appreciate your wisdom dude thanks for sharing it.

Blazin420
09-11-2015, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the reports gents. I worked some structure in moco last night. There was a ****load of bait. Nothing for me.

Blazing I remember reading where your wife was pregnant. Did you guys have the baby yet? If so congrats. Boy or girl?
baby is due Oct 18th...And we havent found out what we are having...Its gonna be a surprise!....Plan on getting out tonight hopefully find something...The table is definitly set with all the bait around

finchaser
09-11-2015, 11:24 AM
9/10/15
3:30 to 5:30 released 9 bass to 29" all on DOA

9/11/15
4 to 6 AM Released 6 bass to 30 " again all on DOA

My friend kept this one that was gut hooked he had 17 in the past 2 days

seamonkey
09-11-2015, 02:11 PM
Wow awesome report! A guy was saying on the internet about the stripers don't bite until the water temperatures go down. Guess he was a little off on that! Congrats. I fished cape may last night before dark and got 2 small kingfish on fishbites.

cowherder
09-11-2015, 02:22 PM
Great catching finchaser congratulations to you. Fish looks nice and healthy.

Blazin420
09-12-2015, 07:15 AM
Nice finchaser!! Im gonna buy a drone and have it follow you to that honey hole your fishing LOL!!!Fished last night 730-1130pm...Saw lots of mullet when i first walked up on the spot..schools left and right with some smaller blow ups in them..Made a few casts and found some smaller blues in the schools about 3-4lbs..landed 2 on a mag..Moved down the beach and fished with all i had in the bag but nothing...Water was clean and saw more mullet and spearing in the wash...Lots of bait around now we just some bass to find it..Hopefully some cooler nights will start to get hings going.....

Oh and here is a heads up for some of the new guys out there...When your fishing at night DONT KEEP YOUR HEAD LIGHT ON THE WHOLE TIME!!!! Drives me and others out there CRAZY!! Between shining in the water and then my eyes it was real annoying..Had at least 2-3 guys do that last night!!!iF YOUR THAT SCARED OF THE DARK DONT FISH AT NIGHT!!!!!!!....Sorry rant over...http://www.stripersurf.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

buckethead
09-12-2015, 07:20 AM
Nice work finchaser good to see you getting into the fish. I got out a little earlier this morning knowing this afternoon's forecasted rain might dirty up the water a bit. Found surf and conditions that were a lot calmer than the other day. It was funny because I was out last night and got the skunk. This morning with the mullet around the action was a little better. Picked up 3 short fat bass from first light until the sun started to rise. Tossed a popper this time.

seamonkey
09-12-2015, 07:31 AM
Oh and here is a heads up for some of the new guys out there...When your fishing at night DONT KEEP YOUR HEAD LIGHT ON THE WHOLE TIME!!!! Drives me and others out there CRAZY!! Between shining in the water and then my eyes it was real annoying..Had at least 2-3 guys do that last night!!!iF YOUR THAT SCARED OF THE DARK DONT FISH AT NIGHT!!!!!!!....Sorry rant over...http://www.stripersurf.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

ROFL so true! Even had that happen to me during the full moon. That's what the moonlight is for to help you see out there and not put on lights so guys won't know when you're catching. Almost as bad as the guys who come up to the beach where the parking lots are right there and shine their headlights on to see who is fishing and what they're catching. so irritating!

storminsteve
09-12-2015, 01:26 PM
Great to hear about the action gents. Fished to the north this morning with tsunami eels. I know sand eels are not here yet but for some reason I felt like using them thought they might bring some luck. They did bring me luck one got chopped in half by a bluefish. Tossed another one out and hooked into a decent blue about 8lbs a nice surprise for me. Then kept fishing for a bit after I switched to a bucktail and teaser. Got 2 short fluke. This was all around sunrise and a little after. Mullet were all over.

storminsteve
09-12-2015, 01:30 PM
baby is due Oct 18th...And we havent found out what we are having...Its gonna be a surprise!....Plan on getting out tonight hopefully find something...The table is definitly set with all the bait around

I read that too and thought you had the baby by now. Enjoy your freedom now because you will be limited in fishing trips once he or she gets here. Congrats anyway it's a good feeling to bring someone else into this world. You may even get a new fishing partner out of it.

jigfreak
09-12-2015, 01:33 PM
In the back last night. change of tide. Managed 4 runt bass on a yozuri crystal minnow. As others have said the water in some places is absolutely loaded with small bait. I'll go out on a limb and say we should have a great fall if we don't get hit with some bad hurricanes.

finchaser
09-12-2015, 02:15 PM
What^he said and I'm in the back also

hookset
09-13-2015, 02:57 PM
Nice work gents. picked up a handful of short bass last night in the back.
All on small black sluggos and light jig head.

buckethead
09-14-2015, 09:32 AM
Very calm waters with the west wind this morning. I opted to start out a bit earlier as I have been. Managed 4 short stripers and a small blue on a small surface popper. Ocean side They were very aggressive with all the mullet around. Missed a few as well. Once there was a hint of color in the sky it was over.

lostatsea
09-14-2015, 12:43 PM
Good going. I fished mo co fri night in the rain and got the skunk. May get out again mid week. Good luck fellas. Its a positive sign to hear of some bass being caught.

robmedina
09-14-2015, 12:46 PM
fished IBSP yesterday afternoon. saw bait being chased in the surf zone. Not sure what it was, probably blues chasing mullet. Did not hook up on anything.

finchaser
09-14-2015, 06:03 PM
FYI heads up this morning out front bass were there on poppers at first light chasing mullet started yesterday afternoon at dusk Northwest turned them on. I wasn't there but was informed by the guys I fish with over 20 were landed and released

cowherder
09-14-2015, 07:18 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

Taking a cue from monte with his tom fote post lol.:HappyWave:
Finally the fish are poking their noses into all that food! Let the games begin!:dribble:
Walking out to the beach now, wish me luck.

seamonkey
09-14-2015, 07:22 PM
mullet running the beach it's about time. Thanks for the info hope to get out there this week or fri at latest.

hookedonbass
09-14-2015, 07:23 PM
x2. I so hope they stay close to the surf line this year. Thank you for the intel.

finchaser
09-15-2015, 08:53 AM
This morning 4:30 to 6:30 released 4 bass to 26" all on plugs

surferman
09-15-2015, 08:58 AM
Cool! clean looking fish. I fished CM sunday night before sunset. Some croakers and one kingfish on clams. No stripers yet.

cowherder
09-15-2015, 09:07 AM
Nice work finchaser. I fished somoco last night. Got one small blue on the SP. As the tide got higher picked up 2 stripers to 23" on the SP. Might be small but I'll take it. They hit hard and it was fun.

Monty
09-15-2015, 09:46 AM
Nice work finchaser. I fished somoco last night. Got one small blue on the SP. As the tide got higher picked up 2 stripers to 23" on the SP. Might be small but I'll take it. They hit hard and it was fun.

Nice report, congrats on the catching.

J Barbosa
09-15-2015, 04:45 PM
This morning 4:30 to 6:30 released 4 bass to 26" all on plugs

You're doing really good this year considering how bad the fishing has been. :headbang:

finchaser
09-15-2015, 09:02 PM
Nope fishing is like it use to be before the hay day now you have to work for them again by figuring out patterns. Most of our guys are catching They are not committing suicide on bunker so many will go fish less :HappyWave:

robmedina
09-16-2015, 08:27 AM
I will be facing my fears somewhat and head out front in the kayak at first light on Sunday. you may spot me 100 feet from the beach in a yellow outback LOL!

hookset
09-16-2015, 09:00 AM
The surf has been so calm lately it shouldn't be a problem to launch. Just time the sets and you should be good to go. Small blues and albies you just might hook up with a nice one. good luck.

hookset
09-16-2015, 09:01 AM
moco last night, incoming tide. Managed a few stripes to 25" on a small popper. Lots of mullet around as others said. Nice fish finchaser.

surfrob
09-16-2015, 10:19 AM
fished IBSP yesterday afternoon. saw bait being chased in the surf zone. Not sure what it was, probably blues chasing mullet. Did not hook up on anything.
a couple of islands south, it was only small snappers chasing that bait the other night. TONs of bait out there though.

fishinmission78
09-16-2015, 10:35 AM
A bunch of small blues this morning, first on small krocodiles, then on ss littleneck popper. IBSP. Tons of mullet, spearing, and small snappers as well. Saw some albies breaking. They moved at the speed of light and I had no luck with them.

surfrob
09-16-2015, 10:55 AM
... Saw some albies breaking. They moved at the speed of light and I had no luck with them.

wow.... north jetty time? MSI?

fishinmission78
09-16-2015, 11:27 AM
I wasn't near either of them or even in the pocket this was halfway into the park. they popped up I had about a 30 second shot at them and then a minute later they appeared 100 yards away.
I'm not going to chase those things. Too much work. It's either hit or miss with me. I'm happy either way

surfrob
09-16-2015, 12:14 PM
fishinmission... apologies, my statement was more rhetorical, not trying to guess where you actually ran into them! I get that way (typing statements out of context) when I get excited! :D

you are right, though, not to chase albies... you either are there and have a shot at them, or your not. I've only caught them from a boat, even though I've had shots at them on foot numerous times.

fishinmission78
09-16-2015, 12:30 PM
No worries man, its all good. a long time ago I learned not to chase after them on foot. maybe that's just me but it seems a lot smarter to let them come to you.

J Barbosa
09-16-2015, 06:03 PM
Did a little porgy fishing over the weekend.

We caught 37 on Saturday morning in a few hours.

Sunday much slower just 14.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5671/21287928628_d8fd6fe8fb_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/yr9cwd)

J Barbosa
09-16-2015, 06:07 PM
Rob,

Your best bet is to take a day and practice surf launching the kayak while the water is still warm.

Do it on a day with a moderate surf and with other people around just in case you do get yourself into trouble.

Going out is the easy part...its coming back in that can be unpredictable.

Good Luck

storminsteve
09-17-2015, 07:40 AM
Fished the incoming tide last night. I took the cue from you guys and went and checked out some of the back bay spots. First 2 spots there was lots of bait but no fish. 3rd spot there was a lot of bait and fish blowing up on them but too far out to see them. I couldn't wade out. It was too far. So I started throwing a black sluggo. Managed 4 shorts before a bluefish chopped the sluggo and that was it. It was also it for the bite as it stopped at the slack. As you guys said with all this bait we should have a good fall. Catch em up!

baitstealer
09-17-2015, 07:53 AM
Well after reading the reports here I just had to get out. Monmouth county worked the surf at the beach this morning from 5-7. Got one stripers 23" and one blue using a SS popper like you guys said. The fish are def there. I thought there would be a lot more there because there is bait all over. Had to cut it short to get to work on time.

baitstealer
09-17-2015, 07:55 AM
Did a little porgy fishing over the weekend.

We caught 37 on Saturday morning in a few hours.

Sunday much slower just 14.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5671/21287928628_d8fd6fe8fb_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/yr9cwd)

Wow just wow, You got 37 porgies in one day? Then the next day it was "much slower with 14". Both of those are great catches to me. Fantastic job they look like nice pork chops. If I could ask how deep was the water you got them in and do you think there is any chance of reaching them from shore or a dock somewhere? Thanks and congrats.

surferman
09-17-2015, 07:57 AM
Looks like you crushed em! Nice job on the porgies.

clamchucker
09-17-2015, 09:11 AM
Quite a lot of small bluefish in the surf at ibsp. Got into steady action this morning with small metal. Some folks who were using mullet had a steady pick too. The surf is chock full of small bait. It was very calm and you could see the bait all over.

porgy75
09-17-2015, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the reports guys. I had the morning off today and went to mo co. I must have just missed the bite although I did see a lot of bait. Got 2 taylor blues with a small ava and green tail. The funny thing is they were not blitzing it was just be bait nervous every once in a while. Otherwise I would have not said that there were fish on them. I have to learn to read the water better.

cowherder
09-17-2015, 10:25 AM
Nice going jb that's a mess of porgies you got. Good news on the blues as well. If the small ones are all over it won't be long before the big ones are right there too. Can't wait!

plugcrazy
09-17-2015, 10:56 AM
good work gents.

lostatsea
09-17-2015, 06:03 PM
Nice going jb that's a mess of porgies you got. Good news on the blues as well. If the small ones are all over it won't be long before the big ones are right there too. Can't wait!

And the big stripers right behind that. come on Fall!

ledhead36
09-17-2015, 08:20 PM
Not much to report lately. We caught croakers a while ago and that petered out big time. Same with porgys and kingfish. Very small amounts this year. The bay has remained pretty dirty with all the construction and sand moving they are doing. Can't figure it out because it doesn't seem to bother the baitfish. There are spearing mullet peanuts and snappers. One night it will be good and the next 3 meh. Been catching a few medium sized bluefish on mullet and peanut bunker halves. Other than that it will be cooling down in the next 2 weeks and we'll be looking for the striped ones. Tight lines gents.

finchaser
09-18-2015, 12:21 AM
9PM to 12 AM released 3 bass to 28" all on DOA and jig head not as much bait as in past weeks since the northeaster

plugcrazy
09-18-2015, 10:05 AM
Fished OC last night before dark. Very calm out there and it seemed like a lot of mullet. Got a lot of cocktail blues on small spook. Not that big but lots o fun. Also one short striper. Pretty work on the porgies JB. Wish we had some that size around here.

buckethead
09-18-2015, 11:22 AM
Started later than I wanted to this morning. The tide was too low at first light. I think because it was so low I didn't do that well. One short on a popper. Conditions were flat. Nice going finchaser.

storminsteve
09-18-2015, 02:53 PM
Nice going gents at least you are catching instead of wishing.

storminsteve
09-19-2015, 01:31 AM
Tried real hard to catch some stripers tonight. Ran around to a few back bay spots on incoming tide. As it got dark and the tide was halfway in I still had the skunk. I did hear some big splashes out there and knew it was some fish but they were all on the mullet. Was tossing a mag darter and they wouldn't touch it. Then I made one more stop and fooled around with the retrieve of the md. Finally picked up 2 short stripers. That was too much like work. what a challenge to catch something on a lure when they only seem to want bait.

fishrich
09-19-2015, 09:14 AM
Two of us fished OC yesterday afternoon. Caught 15 small bluefish. Saw loads of rainfish. Did not see any mullet. Also saw a lot of 6 inch snappers swimming south all day long.

ledhead36
09-19-2015, 10:07 AM
Finally picked up 2 short stripers. That was too much like work. what a challenge to catch something on a lure when they only seem to want bait.

Ummm just an opinion here - if their feeding on bait why not give that to them? Its easy to net mullet and peanuts there are so many. We fished last night and had mixed results. Mostly bluefish to 6 lbs. Only striper we got was a keeper 30". All on mullet or peanut bunker fresh killed and netted. The striper hit the peanut bunker. One friend had a short stripper on mullet. Thats all she wrote.

Blazin420
09-19-2015, 02:13 PM
Nice job Led! Fished last night from 730-100am covered a good amount of sand and came up empty between me and my buddy saw spearing/rainfish in the wash but not much else around by me..was a beautiful night so enjoyed that lots of shooting stars..May try in the am before sunrise!

J Barbosa
09-21-2015, 10:41 AM
Wow just wow, You got 37 porgies in one day? Then the next day it was "much slower with 14". Both of those are great catches to me. Fantastic job they look like nice pork chops. If I could ask how deep was the water you got them in and do you think there is any chance of reaching them from shore or a dock somewhere? Thanks and congrats.

We were fishing inside Raritan Bay near some rocks in 15-20ft of water.

You can get them on the back of Sandy Hook in at least 3 different spots bayside and even in the rivers. Look for rocks/structure/muscle beds/reef like bottom.

I would bet any of the inlet jetties consisting of rocks inside Raritan bay are holding them as well.

I was up in RI this Saturday and the guys were crushing them off the jetties. Most were short but I think that's because the guys have picked out most of the keeper sized ones.

Tried to get my land based albie on the fly rod but it didn't happen for me. A buddy of mine did catch his on a fly rod. Saw about 7 total caught, 5 of them were on fly rods and 2 caught on spinning tackle.

buckethead
09-21-2015, 12:57 PM
Fished moco early am. The surf was roiled up and pretty big. Went with a bucktail and pork no teaser. Picked up a few shorts the last 2 hours outgoing tide centering around sunrise. There was no bait that I could see but the surf as stated was rough.

seamonkey
09-21-2015, 01:21 PM
Nice try bucket. I looked at a surf cam this morning and am impressed you even tried to fish that it looks too snotty. I was out this weekend again looking for kings in CMC. did a little better using fishbites around high tide. The problem was the surf has been invaded by small ones. I caught 12 and only kept 2 that were worth eating. Any fish is better than no fish so I was happy. The wind this week might get some good striper action going. I sure hope so.

7deadlyplugs
09-21-2015, 02:40 PM
The wind this week might get some good striper action going. I sure hope so.

My thoughts as well.

basshunter
09-21-2015, 03:32 PM
I'll buy into anything that brings in the strippers. Even a voodoo chantt lol.

finchaser
09-21-2015, 08:20 PM
This morning 4 to 6 AM had 3 bass to 27' all on DOA less bait around. Hopefully this northeaster doesn't drive the bait out of rivers and bay sending it south before what ever little amount of bass there are get here. Northwest is good this time of year holds the bait

buckethead
09-22-2015, 08:24 AM
Tried to fish this morning. The NE was more of a north wind and it was steady and foggy. Not that great where I was. Gave it 15 minutes before sunrise and then back home to bed. nice going finchaser.

finchaser
09-22-2015, 08:57 AM
had about 15 blues 2 to 4 pounds all on metal this morning

surferman
09-22-2015, 09:25 AM
Good job. I was thinking the surf was only good for us surfers. Maybe the north east winds put them on the feed for a bit. Like you said hope the bait doesn't all get pushed out and it is a slow steady turn at the buffet table for the fish.

fishinmission78
09-22-2015, 11:49 AM
he Northeast definitely put them on the move which is good.
it makes sense what finchaser says as well. you don't want them emptying out too quickly. we got a full moon coming up this weekend so hopefully all hell should be breaking loose.

finchaser
09-22-2015, 12:12 PM
Good job. I was thinking the surf was only good for us surfers. Maybe the north east winds put them on the feed for a bit. Like you said hope the bait doesn't all get pushed out and it is a slow steady turn at the buffet table for the fish.

I'm not out front

Tons of bait the northeaster turned the bass off and the blues on:burn:

finchaser
09-22-2015, 04:35 PM
Went back to same spot as this morning had another 12 blues 2 to 4 pounds

seamonkey
09-22-2015, 06:09 PM
Damn you are like the borg. You are a fish catching empire! Congrats and thanks for the reports. Are you guys seeing any big blues up there yet?

Blazin420
09-23-2015, 08:42 AM
Nice job as always Fin! Got out yesterday only had a small amount of time in the afternoon water was perfect BT water worked a small area with nothing if it were end of Oct would have probably caught..Water was mean and still green but getting dirty...I do no some fish were caught in another area..My time is limited and couldnt fish were and when i really wanted to..

ledhead36
09-23-2015, 09:50 AM
Nice job Led!

he Northeast definitely put them on the move which is good.

Tons of bait the northeaster turned the bass off and the blues on:burn:

Thanks blazin. nice job finchaser at least your catching. Fished last nite it wasn't that great. There is a lot of mullet around and it is leaveing like you guys said. This weekend should be the big mullet blowout with the full moon. Seen some very big ones by a dock earlier on.

surfrob
09-23-2015, 04:00 PM
Rob,

Your best bet is to take a day and practice surf launching the kayak while the water is still warm.

Do it on a day with a moderate surf and with other people around just in case you do get yourself into trouble.

Going out is the easy part...its coming back in that can be unpredictable.

Good Luck

That's good advice (the going with someone else part) :)

I think I'd do better launching a motorized vehicle, seeing how out of shape I am LOL :)

jigfreak
09-23-2015, 09:35 PM
Fished the back for a few hours. Top of the out and the outgoing. Water wasn't that bad still very warm. Lots of mullet and peanut bunker. They were getting hammered by bass. Unfortunately they were really keyed in on that bait. It was a bad night to be a baitfish back there. Managed 4 bass to 31". 2 of them were keepers. All released. Magdarter got 2. Black sluggo got the other 2.

hookedonbass
09-23-2015, 10:44 PM
Awesome great to read about them eating that bait. Question if you don't mind answering. I thought the best time to use sluggos is when sand eels are here. Why do you think they hit them now? Did they hit them hard? thanks

jigfreak
09-23-2015, 11:43 PM
Rubber catches more fish than almost anything else out there. Only time I dont throw rubber is when the blues are thick then I might go with buckt and pork. Guys don't want to use rubber because its something you actually have to work. Its not like a SP where you throw and let you do the work. When you throw rubber its all about the action you put into it. And yes the bass absolutely slammed the sluggos. Don't need sandeels to be around to use them.

plugcrazy
09-24-2015, 11:10 AM
Nice going and good advice. Fished ocean county 6-9pm and got two stripers on white rubber tsunami shad. Both shorts.

baitstealer
09-24-2015, 11:16 AM
Cool looks like the run is starting. Went out last night caught one blue on a small pencil popper. Looked at the surf cams this morning looks like it is cleaning up nicely. come on Fall run!

finchaser
09-24-2015, 11:29 AM
Rubber catches more fish than almost anything else out there. Only time I dont throw rubber is when the blues are thick then I might go with buckt and pork. Guys don't want to use rubber because its something you actually have to work. Its not like a SP where you throw and let you do the work. When you throw rubber its all about the action you put into it. And yes the bass absolutely slammed the sluggos. Don't need sandeels to be around to use them.
What he said:clapping::clapping::clapping:

finchaser
09-24-2015, 11:31 AM
This morning 4 to 6 am released 2 bass and a small blue all on rubber water was like a sewer bait thinned out, everything ended when water slacked

hookset
09-24-2015, 12:09 PM
Got into a decent bite last night somoco. Swimmers were the ticket. half a dozen. One keeper about 12lbs. Still swimming.

seamonkey
09-24-2015, 12:14 PM
Finally it's on! Great reports gents. Picked up 3 striped ones 8-10p tossing some pink fin s to structure in cape may.

buckethead
09-24-2015, 01:25 PM
Worked the sunrise in moco this morning. Fished a slightly different area than I usually do. Two very small bass on bucktail and pork. One small blue as well.

porgy75
09-24-2015, 01:45 PM
Nice!!!!!

cowherder
09-24-2015, 01:54 PM
Good going gents that's encouraging news. I will be out this weekend hope to find some fish.

buckethead
09-24-2015, 02:00 PM
Get your licks in while you can. The winds are supposed to get worse in the next few days. Back to a heavy South pattern and could screw things up. May try a trip to the back next time.

cowherder
09-25-2015, 09:40 AM
Nice going on the stripers guys it really got me motivated. After seeing the reports I was worried about the wind getting worse. Thought I would try to get out before the weekend. Went to the back last night and looked for bait. Found some peanuts in large quantities. Fish busting out a little far. As it got darker the tide was going out they came a bit closer and were reachable with a long cast. The fish busting on them turned out to be small blues. Had a blast with a small zara spook. Got 8. The crazy thing is I missed a lot more. It was like they really didn't want the spook they wanted the peanuts. Saw another guy catch a keeper striper on bunker chunk.

cowherder
09-25-2015, 09:41 AM
Get your licks in while you can. The winds are supposed to get worse in the next few days. Back to a heavy South pattern and could screw things up. May try a trip to the back next time.

Thanks I was reading that and used it to make my decision to go out last night instead of waiting. Always appreciate your advice and wisdom.

surferman
09-25-2015, 09:46 AM
Finally it's on! Great reports gents. Picked up 3 striped ones 8-10p tossing some pink fin s to structure in cape may.

Nice its bridge time!

hookedonbass
09-25-2015, 10:36 AM
Nice work gents. Guess you have to strike when the iron is hot.

jigfreak
09-25-2015, 02:32 PM
Took a quick ride to the surf. figured the incoming tide and the bait I saw last time might bring some albies within reach. No dice. The wind was has shifted almost straight east. At least 15 or 20 mph. You need a casting cannon to punch it out there. I was really hoping to run into them. Maybe after the wind calms down a bit. I'm back to fishing the back channels and bays until then.

ledhead36
09-25-2015, 04:46 PM
Back to a heavy South pattern and could screw things up. May try a trip to the back next time.

Baby got back. Its where it's at. The back is absolutely chock full of bait. Smart choice sir.

ledhead36
09-25-2015, 04:52 PM
The crazy thing is I missed a lot more. It was like they really didn't want the spook they wanted the peanuts. Saw another guy catch a keeper striper on bunker chunk.

I keep telling you guys if you want some bigger fish you have to give them what they are feeding on. When theres tons of bait they key in on that bait and its tough to get them with lures. Now I realize that was you last night by your report description cowherder. I could have sworn you were hooked up about 50 times with all the hooksets I saw you trying to make lol. I'm surprised your final number was only 8. that guy that caught a keeper on bunker chunk was me. Only it wasn't bunker chunk it was the top half of a 7" peanut bunker. Next time stop by and introduce yourself now that I know who you are.:HappyWave:

Report - got a keep bass last night 33". Fishing was tough and there was mostly blues. Our crew fished a lot of hours through the whole tide. 2 more keeps when the tide started to come back in. All on fresh dead peanut bunker.

robmedina
09-26-2015, 06:11 AM
just wanted to get out and see what was going on. Went to my normal inlet. Hard NE wind, could still get a bucktail to swim along the bottom for about 20 degrees before you had to swim it in real fast to not snag. Walked up to the beach to take a peak- about 2 feet of sand is gone - hah- after the tide changed the wind picked up to a steady 25ish.

storminsteve
09-26-2015, 08:24 AM
I walked to the ocean last night around 6pm rob. I don't know who these sharpies who talk about fishing northeast winds are because there were no guys out there at 2 beaches I stopped at! That wind was at least a constant 20mph straight from the east like you said.

I went to the back and tried to fish near a spot where the water drains. There was lots of small bait. Found fish very tough to catch with all the little bait. Managed 2 blues and one striper on the red and white mag darter. 3 hours for those fish. Felt like I earned each and every one. I read some of the reports the night before and it looks like some of you fellas got lucky with some nice fish. Looks like I waited a bit too long and the water got a little dirtier. Will try again after the winds die down. Tight lines fellas.

Blazin420
09-26-2015, 12:18 PM
fished 730-1130pm last night
.Decent outing for the first trip of the "fall"
.Dropped a decent fish on the 5th cast..Then made a little move and picked up a fiesty 25in on the Mag Minnow...Dropped another a little after that and managed a blue in the 4-5lb range crushed a mag darter in the wash..Similar to what i had Steve..Bait was ALL OVER! Expected a little more action with all the bait around but ill take it....

hookedonbass
09-26-2015, 09:41 PM
.Similar to what i had Steve..Bait was ALL OVER! Expected a little more action with all the bait around but ill take it....

wish I could of seen what you guys seen. Went out from 7-9 in the surf. Ocean county. Rough and I thought the fish would be there with the mullet on the move and the betty and nicks positice reports. Wind terrible. Could barely get a storm shad out there. after fishing for a half hour got chopped in half prob by a blue. About one hour after dark got one short feisty striper about 21 inches. Also on a new storm shad. That is the bass water that john at B&N talks about all the time. Guess some have more luck than others. It definitely wasn't bass water for me. At least I didn't get the skunk. Thanks for the intel and helpful details guys they did help me to at least try. Better times coming soon.

surferman
09-27-2015, 09:58 AM
Fished the back in cmc last nite. Looked for a place to hide from the wind. High tide and first hour of out. 2 shorts on pink zooms. Did some surfing this morning. Life is good!

storminsteve
09-28-2015, 10:13 AM
I am jealous of people who can use rubber and not get chopped in half. We seem to be invaded by small blues. Started out using rubber nomoco last night. Got chopped in the first five mins. Switched to bucktail and pork rind. Got a few cocktails. After dark fished for two more hours. Picked up one stripper 20" and another 25".

storminsteve
09-28-2015, 10:25 AM
Forgot to add that all fish were in the white water very close in.

seamonkey
09-28-2015, 10:32 AM
Nice. I was out last night fishing structure. Had high hopes with the moon being the way it was. Didn't realize until I got there it would make the tide a lot stronger and harder to fish. Managed one short on pink zoom.

VSdreams
09-28-2015, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the reports. It seems to me this fall the stripers have definitely started. More like a dull roar than a run. Lots of reports of activity then it drops off for a while. Meanwhile the back bays and rivers are all loaded with bait. Why would they not be there every night with all that bait? Any thoughts?

jigfreak
09-28-2015, 10:57 AM
Don't know how long you have been fishing but what we have now is crap compared to 10 years ago. Used to be you could catch 15 and 20 lb bass in NJ all summer. Now those fish are like hens teeth. my .02

buckethead
09-28-2015, 11:07 AM
What jigfreak said is spot on. The striped bass have been close to wiped out. Conditions very similar to what we had in the late 70's and 80's.

Fished last night got the skunk. Fished moco this morning between 5-8a. Very foggy out there. Water dirty in some places. In others it's not that bad. Managed 5 bass on bucktail and pork. 2 were legal 10 and 9#. All released.

baitstealer
09-28-2015, 09:15 PM
Monmouth county from 5pm to 8:45. In the beginnining it seemed like I was going to get into some great blitzes. There was fish blowing up on bait but they were way too far out. Hung out and tried some different beaches. I was trying those small poppers you guys are always saying to use. Nada. About an hour before dark I saw some more splashes in close so started casting the small ava with green tail. There was lots of blues that wanted that. Got a bunch. missed a lot too they would pick at it and turn away. These were small snapper size and slightly bigger but not by much. I had fun. Hardly anyone else out there.

baitstealer
09-28-2015, 09:17 PM
Water dirty in some places. In others it's not that bad.

Nice going on the stripers! I didn't see any- only blues but they could have been there. That was probably the blow ups I saw out of casting range. You are right about the water. Where I was tonight it was pretty clean and wind was pretty mild.

lostatsea
09-28-2015, 10:34 PM
Way to get out there in spite of the looming bad weather forecast. bucket head and jig always enjoy your reports and your honesty even when you get skunked. You put a lot of time in on the water. Thanks for sharing and your thoughts on the striped bass as well.

ledhead36
09-29-2015, 07:32 AM
Big bluefish came into the bay yesterday. Got a few on fresh peanut bunker. Up to 12pounds. No stripers. Back out again tonight to try. don't believe the hype about fish not biting on a full moon.

surferman
09-29-2015, 07:35 AM
Awesome! you guys are lucky. I fished last night got blanked.

finchaser
09-29-2015, 09:03 AM
Don't know how long you have been fishing but what we have now is crap compared to 10 years ago. Used to be you could catch 15 and 20 lb bass in NJ all summer. Now those fish are like hens teeth. my .02

what he said those days are gone fish are DEAD

finchaser
09-29-2015, 09:05 AM
What jigfreak said is spot on. The striped bass have been close to wiped out. Conditions very similar to what we had in the late 70's and 80's.

Fished last night got the skunk. Fished moco this morning between 5-8a. Very foggy out there. Water dirty in some places. In others it's not that bad. Managed 5 bass on bucktail and pork. 2 were legal 10 and 9#. All released.

What he said^^^

Fished yesterday and this AM water like a sewer this NE can:moon:kiss it took the:skunk:

cowherder
09-29-2015, 12:05 PM
Can't win em all finchaser. You had such a successful streak I was beginning to think you were invincible.
Quick question would you continue fishing rubber with this weather and dirty water or would you make the switch to Bucktails and pork rinds? Thanks

cowherder
09-29-2015, 12:08 PM
Nice going on the bluee leadhead I really hope they stick around.

finchaser
09-29-2015, 12:55 PM
Can't win em all finchaser. You had such a successful streak I was beginning to think you were invincible.
Quick question would you continue fishing rubber with this weather and dirty water or would you make the switch to Bucktails and pork rinds? Thanks

Chartreuse rubber on arrowhead jig or Chartreuse gotcha tail (mr twister style) on smiling bill

hookedonbass
09-29-2015, 01:19 PM
Good job fellas.

fishrich
09-29-2015, 09:36 PM
Two of us fished OC this afternoon and only caught a few small blues. Did not see any bait anywhere or see anyone else catching anything. As the tide came in and it got closer to dark, the sweep and grass in the water got bad where we were and we gave up before it got dark.

basshunter
09-29-2015, 10:16 PM
I had about the same results too. Fished mo co late afternoon. Overcast and a little rainy it was a thrill to be out there in those conditions. Got a few very small blues on bucktail and pork and one short striper in that magic window before dark.

cowherder
09-30-2015, 06:09 AM
Chartreuse rubber on arrowhead jig or Chartreuse gotcha tail (mr twister style) on smiling bill
Thank you Sir.