PDA

View Full Version : RIP Jerry Riedinger

finchaser
11-18-2015, 10:17 PM
For those of you who knew Jerry Riedinger he passed away today

Jerry was a great fisherman and friend. He will be truly missed by those whose lives he touched.

RIP old friend

jigfreak
11-18-2015, 10:31 PM
Didn't know him, but sorry for your loss.

seamonkey
11-19-2015, 06:57 AM
Rip

Monty
11-19-2015, 09:59 AM
RIP, sorry for your loss Fin.

plugcrazy
11-19-2015, 10:52 AM
Sorry for your loss, t&p

hookset
11-19-2015, 11:02 AM
rip

baitstealer
11-19-2015, 11:12 AM
Prayers sent. Sorry for your loss.

nitestrikes
11-19-2015, 12:03 PM
I did not know the man, but sorry to hear. It's never good news when any one of us passes. prayers sent.

bababooey
11-19-2015, 02:37 PM
Sorry for your lost finchaser. May he RIP

buckethead
11-19-2015, 04:22 PM
I did not know the man, but sorry to hear. It's never good news when any one of us passes. prayers sent.

It also makes you realize your own old age and how you skipped the grip reaper this time but maybe not the next. May he have tight lines and a bent rod in heaven, finchaser. Thoughts and prayers.

DarkSkies
11-19-2015, 05:43 PM
Bob sent me the obituary and funeral arrangements in case anyone is interested.

Gerald was born on December 7, 1943 and passed away on Wednesday, November 18, 2015.

Gerald was a resident of Brick Township, New Jersey at the time of his passing.

He was a Coast Guard Veteran of the the Cuban Missile crisis and a member of the Asbury Park Fishing Club.

He was married to Jacqueline.

A Funeral Mass will be offered on Saturday 11:00am at St. Dominic's R.C. Church in Brick.
Burial will take place at Bridg. Wm. Doyle Veterans Memorial Cemetery privately.
Viewing hours are
Friday from 3:00pm to 9:00pm at St. Dominic's Church Old Squan Rd. Brick.

In lieu of flowers please make donations to St. Vincent de Paul Society 450 Old Squan Rd. Brick NJ 08724
Colonial Funeral Home Brick Township is in charge of arrangements.
http://www.tributes.com/obituary/show/Gerald-T.-Riedinger-103024323

I met him a few times.....he seemed like an average, retired Vet to me...until I started hearing some of the stories, and looking at the big bass on the wall at Castaways Bait and Tackle in Point.....

He was part of a truly admirable group or hardcore fishermen....back before cell phones and the internet....
IMO he was one of the NJ surfcasting legends......there are many stories about him...and the crew of Old Salts he associated with....Bob, Joe Melillo, Mike Commune....Bobby Matthews....Billy McFadden....etc.....
They found bass by keeping logs....and blood and sweat....often fishing all night for the biggest bass when they were there........With no cell phone or internet to help folks chase reports....they were out there usually every night....making their own reports.....

He will be missed......
He was also a Vet who served our country....

I'll try to come back and say a few more words when I get a chance.....RIP Jerry.
He had been sick, but started to recover a bit....I didn't think he would leave us so soon......

**Just a thought that sometimes when we take people, and their health for granted......we never know how long they have left on this Earth.....

finchaser
11-19-2015, 08:25 PM
It also makes you realize your own old age and how you skipped the grip reaper this time but maybe not the next. May he have tight lines and a bent rod in heaven, finchaser. Thoughts and prayers.

So true our group lives with whose next everyday. We use to discuss fishing which we still do but more conversation lends it self to conditions and health. Our 8X10 photos adore a shops wall all photos Hank Wortsberger the one time Asbury Park Press photographer took and gave us as a tribute when he retired. Most of us posing with 40 and 50 pound surf caught fish no snag and drop BS. Now the younger guys ask which one are you all to often they ask whose that and the answer is hes not with us anymore. Two weeks ago Jerry had coffee with us and today he's not with us anymore. Who will be next only time will tell

surfstix1963
11-20-2015, 05:09 AM
Sorry for your loss Bob.May Jerry Rest In Peace.

DarkSkies
11-20-2015, 10:48 AM
So true our group lives with whose next everyday. We use to discuss fishing which we still do but more conversation lends it self to conditions and health. Our 8X10 photos adore a shops wall all photos Hank Wortsberger the one time Asbury Park Press photographer took and gave us as a tribute when he retired.

Most of us posing with 40 and 50 pound surf caught fish no snag and drop BS. Now the younger guys ask which one are you all to often they ask whose that and the answer is hes not with us anymore.
Two weeks ago Jerry had coffee with us and today he's not with us anymore. Who will be next only time will tell

This is gospel truth, folks....
I have been in that shop...seen all the pics.....
They let me take pics of those pics...right now they're locked on another PC...I hope to post some of them one day...each one is a testament to the harsh conditions and hard work they went through to get those trophy bass from the surf....in some of the worst weather....cold...rain....etc......damaging some family relationships in the process......

But they were out there anyway......
A class of fishermen that had the knowledge in their heads and their logs......very tough guys.....Ornery, Salty....Coarse Language......they were rough and real....and there was a brotherhood, if you had what it took to stay out all night with them, and put in the time they did.....

There are some ways that they were similar to today's fishermen who work hard to catch trophy fish...
(And other ways they were very different).....

DarkSkies
11-20-2015, 11:06 AM
Courtesy of Fin

Fishermans' Prayer
"God grant that I may live to fish
Until my dying day

And when it comes to my last cast
I then most humbly pray

When in the Lord's safe landing net
I'm peacefully asleep

That in his mercy I be judged
As good enough to keep."

One I found that might be fitting for Jerry....

Crossing The Bar

Sunset and evening star. And one
clear call for me!

And may there be

no moaning of the bar when I put out
to sea.

But such a tide as moving

seems asleep too full for sound and
foam.

When that which drew from out

the boundless deep turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell, and after

that the dark!

And may there be no

sadness of farewell when I embark;

For though from out our borne of

time - and place the flood may bear

me far,

I hope to see my Pilot face

to face when I have crossed the bar.

Here's to the old days...and the Old-time way of respecting others, and walking through life.....
May God Bless Jerry for his Ministry, accept him into his Kingdom, and grant him everlasting peace.....

bababooey
11-20-2015, 11:16 AM
Found the obit in the app.

Deacon Gerald T. Riedinger Sr. age 71 of Brick Township was surrounded by his loving family when he went home to be with the Lord on Wednesday November 18th. 2015. Deacon Gerry was born in Glen ridge, raised in Caldwell before moving to Brick township in 1979.He worked as a Sprinkler fitter for Union 696 in Millburn for over 30 years retiring many years ago.

He was a Coast Guard Veteran of the Cuban Missile crisis and a member of the Asbury Park Fishing Club.

Deacon Gerry was ordained a Deacon on May 10th. 2003 by Bishop John Smith. He has served the Church of St. Dominic's as Deacon and in many capacities including Director of St. Vincent de Paul society.

He was pre-deceased by his wife Jacqueline in 2013, his parents Edward and Margaret Riedinger and his brother Donald.

Surviving is his daughter: Tracy and her husband John Barcus of Brick. 3 Sons: Gerald Jr. and his wife Gina of Brick, Loren and his wife Christine of Lacey and Todd Meyers of Ohio. He is also survived by his brother: Edward and his wife Marie of Caldwell and 9 Grandchildren.

A Funeral Mass will be offered on Saturday 11:00am at St. Dominic's R.C. Church in Brick. Burial will take place at Bridg. Wm. Doyle Veterans Memorial Cemetery privately. Viewing hours are Friday from 3:00pm to 9:00pm at St. Dominic's Church Old Squan Rd. Brick. In lieu of flowers please make donations to St. Vincent de Paul Society 250 Old Squan Rd. Brick, NJ 08724 Colonial Funeral Home Brick Township is in charge of arrangements.

- See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/app/obituary.aspx?n=gerald-t-riedinger&pid=176557604#sthash.OS67bLix.dpuf

blitzhunter
11-20-2015, 11:49 AM
rip

storminsteve
11-22-2015, 09:23 PM
Sorry for your loss. Hope there are some fish and good tides in the afterlife. T&P

DarkSkies
11-23-2015, 10:05 AM
It was nice of you people to post some thoughts. Jerry was part of the generation where you didn't complain much, and if you were out there fishing at night you were conscious of those who were at a place before you got there. If you knew it would be too crowded you gave them some room and went somewhere else.

Fin and I were talking about the funeral. A good number of folks showed up. Just about all the old salts in his circle of friends and those who knew him from fishing, and many others.

Some of the things that distinguished the fishermen apart from the others.....
* The craggy faces....weather-worn, and hardened by the years on the water....fishing at night....in extreme conditions...
* Fin said the fishermen naturally gravitated to the same section at the viewing.....and you could tell that this "group" was a little different......a little "off the beaten path"...but in a good way.....
* Capt Al Ristori showed up in some clothes that he might have come in from fishing in, after a day on the water...still coming in to pay respect to an old friend.....
* Some of the others....you could tell they were fishermen just by looking at them....as mentioned, craggy faces........weather worn expressions....some of them with battered and old looking hands.....not manicured and perfect....but craggy, blistered.....some with crooked fingers or grips...from all the years spent out there, holding rod and reel, waiting at attention for the strike of the big one.......
* It was also said these old time fishermen are a dying breed....the rules and courtesies they extended to each other....30-50 years ago.....seem to have been forgotten on (some) of the younger generation......
* It was said that once these old salts are gone...there won't be many like them....left to reminisce and talk about the way things used to be.....

I feel that way as well....sometimes wish I could turn the clock back 30 or 40 years...the times I remember back then, people were much nicer and considerate of each other, than some are now....It was a time where manners were important....gruffness and tough talk also had its place....if someone insulted the new guy who was learning to fish...he took it in stride...and made an effort to learn more...on his own....so he didn't receive the insults a 2nd time.....

Back then, people learned things through trial and error...sweat and blood......I learned a lot of my fishing knowledge through failing over and over...before I succeeded.....

I suppose a lot of others around my age, and older...learned the same way as I did.....hard work and effort.....
I do hope that some of the new people growing up today....feel that they can learn something from the Old Salts....
In my experience....some of the best lessons in life, not just fishing but overall...came to me from interactions with older folks...soaking up their Wisdom and advice......I'm most grateful for that.....and hope every generation....has something positive to offer to the one coming up behind them........

I hope folks remember the words here....not only for Jerry, but for all the older folks...old Salts.....Crabby or not...who have a lot to teach us....if we would take the time to listen.....Food for thought....:learn:

cowherder
11-23-2015, 05:04 PM
* Some of the others....you could tell they were fishermen just by looking at them....as mentioned, craggy faces........weather worn expressions....some of them with battered and old looking hands.....not manicured and perfect....but craggy, blistered.....some with crooked fingers or grips...from all the years spent out there, holding rod and reel, waiting at attention for the strike of the big one.......
* It was also said these old time fishermen are a dying breed....the rules and courtesies they extended to each other....30-50 years ago.....seem to have been forgotten on (some) of the younger generation......
* It was said that once these old salts are gone...there won't be many like them....left to reminisce and talk about the way things used to be.....

I hope folks remember the words here....not only for Jerry, but for all the older folks...old Salts.....Crabby or not...who have a lot to teach us....if we would take the time to listen.....Food for thought....:learn:

well put. May the sharpies of todays times become the old salties of tomorrow, willing to teach and pass it on. Thanks for sharing. Liked the descriptions of the old guys as weathered and changed by the passage of time and fishing. They are the only ones left who remember what it was like when there were waves of fish here in the spring and fall. I find that when I meet an older gent fishing they do tend to look like that.

finchaser
11-23-2015, 07:34 PM
He quotes me well I think he wants to be old like us so he can hang on the porch with the big dogs:wheeeee:

DarkSkies
11-23-2015, 08:13 PM
^ Nope.....I'm just a goog with a white bucket..:bucktooth:......haven't earned my place at the porch where the big dogs hang out just yet....
I'm happy enough to share a meal or breakfast with you old Farts......:HappyWave:
Catch a few fish when I do get a chance to get out there lately....some of ya's been asking if I still remember how...:2flip:

I guess I do write some purty words now and then...;)..I like the writing....and the documenting how things used to be.....I have a feeling in a few years it might become something that some might want to look at as parallels are being drawn.....

And I enjoy our chats......and your rants, Pal........even though we do know how to burn up the cell phone batteries......:kiss: