PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to pork rind?

fishgutz
12-26-2015, 06:13 PM
I read the story about them shutting down production. Do you think anyone will step up and start making it again? If not what is your guys' go to? I usually use curly tail white or chartreuse small worms, grubs etc. Just wondering if anyone has any other things they have used on bucktails with success for stripers. thanks

porgy75
12-27-2015, 10:11 AM
I would think the rubber worms are the best bet. Does it make a difference if you tip with the real skinny ones like for freshwater or the fat white ones that I see a lot of fishermen using.

surferman
12-27-2015, 04:45 PM
Fishbites always work for me with summer flounder. Not sure how great they would be to attract stripers but it makes sense that they would.

dogfish
12-27-2015, 05:02 PM
I have done ok by adding a little pogy strip to the bucktail when jigging. Deadly for bigger stripes.

J Barbosa
12-28-2015, 06:44 PM
I have done ok by adding a little pogy strip to the bucktail when jigging. Deadly for bigger stripes.

We did well on bunker strips here in NJ on the fluke.

What are these pogy you speak of? :HappyWave: I'm kidding of course.

dogfish
12-29-2015, 09:00 AM
Our pogy is your bunker. Different names for different areas.

voyager35
12-30-2015, 05:57 AM
We did well on bunker strips here in NJ on the fluke.

Gulp works great. For our trips it's worked best for fluke though. I feel it's effectiveness gets less when the water is cold. So the advice is dependent on water temperature I think.

nitestrikes
01-03-2016, 11:19 AM
I would think the rubber worms are the best bet. Does it make a difference if you tip with the real skinny ones like for freshwater or the fat white ones that I see a lot of fishermen using.

When there was a hot sandeel bite I did well with a black rubber worm on a ball jig, plus another one rigged 24" above that one with a 12" stiff leader and circle hook. Exactly the FW type you mentioned. You don't need to use the fancy rubber designer sandeels to catch fish.