PDA

View Full Version : Teasers 2016

Monty
02-07-2016, 05:03 PM
How about posting 2016 Fishing Teaser Experiences here.
Again this year I will look to fish them minimally and will look to use them only when they are really needed.
A few times in 2015 while fishing with a friend the fish I caught verse the fish he caught, me not using a teaser, him with the teaser, I caught consistently bigger Bass than him.
Whether it was a slow pick or we were in a good bite, he caught mostly on the teaser and his fish were smaller than mine, or at the least, I would normally catch the bigger Bass (most of the time).
Anyone else experience this?
Also fishing out on Long Island, I think the bait available out there is usually larger than in NJ, where I used to fish a teaser at least 90% and think a lot of the time the bait in NJ is very small where I fished.

While it just may be in my head, I feel better presenting the plug without the teaser now too.

lostatsea
02-08-2016, 07:08 AM
I did better on teasers when the sandeels showed up. They were strangely absent for last Fall. Also have done ok sometimes with a red tube teaser in the early spring. Usually blues like to hit it.

fishinmission78
02-08-2016, 11:25 AM
X2 on missing the sand eels last year. Still the teasers tend to work for me in the heat of the summer when the bait is small and the fish are sluggish.

dogfish
02-10-2016, 06:30 AM
I like to use a small sluggo or fin-s as a teaser. As was said great for when the forage is predominantly small. Otherwise I don't use em.

J Barbosa
02-17-2016, 12:41 PM
Again this year I will look to fish them minimally and will look to use them only when they are really needed.
A few times in 2015 while fishing with a friend the fish I caught verse the fish he caught, me not using a teaser, him with the teaser, I caught consistently bigger Bass than him.
Whether it was a slow pick or we were in a good bite, he caught mostly on the teaser and his fish were smaller than mine, or at the least, I would normally catch the bigger Bass (most of the time).
Also fishing out on Long Island, I think the bait available out there is usually larger than in NJ, where I used to fish a teaser at least 90% and think a lot of the time the bait in NJ is very small where I fished.

While it just may be in my head, I feel better presenting the plug without the teaser now too.

They certainly have a place in NJ when you want to catch a lot of small fish. Every once in a while that elephant does eat the peanut. Nick Hofchensky landed a 50#+ bass on a small teaser this past fall.

williehookem
02-17-2016, 01:51 PM
Again this year

Agreed, similar experiences. Definitely want to lose the teaser when fishing the rock piles out East or North Shore.
on the sand beaches like the Hamptons or Moriches or Moses, it's okay because there is sometimes a lot of white bait. otherwise I don't like using that much, because pita if blues are around. Jmho

jigfreak
02-17-2016, 01:59 PM
Not meaning to stir up some trouble here, but I saw Honachefskys pic of his fish on FB. if that was a 50 I will eat sh*t on a shingle.
it was definitely a very nice fish, well deserved.
Somewhere in the 40s -yes.
50+ lbs?? - no way jose.

basshunter
02-18-2016, 09:12 AM
I saw that photo as well. I'm not a pro 50lb bass catcher so my opinion might not matter as much. The only thing I was thinking was that if you are as well known as he is, don't you think you would document a striper like that a little better before letting it go? Otherwise, like jf said, it was a nice striper. Would love to catch one that big on a teaser. :thumbsup:

basshunter
02-18-2016, 09:17 AM
When I use teasers, which is not often, I like to keep it simple. Just the basic white or green dyed hair, like the ones you put on the end of your metal. I saw a guy struggle one time with what we saw was a striper of a lifetime. Turned out he had a striper over 30 pounds on the plug and a bluefish on the teaser. It dawned on me that he could have lost that monster striper if that bluefish was too aggressive and slashed his line. That's why I think you should only use them when stripers are hard to catch.

cowherder
02-18-2016, 07:05 PM
I like when you get hit on 2 of them sometimes it makes it seems like you have a monster! Like the idea of keeping it simple and less expensive. That way if one gets bit off its no big deal.

williehookem
02-19-2016, 01:29 PM
I'm not a tier but thought this was pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmrxmDyeByk

VSdreams
02-19-2016, 07:14 PM
Cool vid. Would never have the patience to do that. thanks for sharing.

seamonkey
02-20-2016, 10:00 AM
What some said here makes a lot of sense. KISS. Unless you are tying your own. Then I guess its a challenge to make that special color or style that crushes the fish.

Monty
04-10-2016, 09:20 PM
That's why I think you should only use them when stripers are hard to catch.
Kinda my plan. I plan on not using them much this year again.
I did tie these up today to try to copy one Surfstix made me a few years ago.
I caught on his last fall, actually the amount of time I fished it I had very good action.

http://i1.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/2016_4_10_Teaser.jpg

surfstix1963
04-15-2016, 11:51 AM
Good job...I just set up my vice and tying stuff a little rusty but I'll get back into it.If you know anybody or yourself who wants some tying materials let me know I have way too much I'm not going to live forever.

porgy75
04-15-2016, 09:01 PM
Nice work. Would you say they resemble baby peanut bunker? And with the reports of there being small bunker around will you be using them earlier this year?

Monty
04-15-2016, 09:18 PM
Nice work. Would you say they resemble baby peanut bunker? And with the reports of there being small bunker around will you be using them earlier this year?

Its all marabou so it thins out when wet. So I think it represents sand eels pretty good, thin baits.
There were sand eels around last year and this really got some action when I used it in the dark.
I'm going to start off the spring with it, but plan on not using the teasers much again this year.

basshunter
04-15-2016, 10:01 PM
I was looking at that pic too and tbh it didn't look like anything near a sandeel. Thanks for explaining they look cool.

surfstix1963
04-16-2016, 07:38 AM
One ugly pattern but they work especially tossing a black bomber or similar plug in black.Marabou really moves in the water.I tie another pattern similar to that one from black bucktail with a red throat.

cowherder
11-07-2016, 12:54 PM
I like that, black bomber with black teaser. Anyone else having success with this color or other styles?