PDA

View Full Version : Blues 2016

basshunter
03-09-2016, 10:24 PM
Any one want to guess if they will be early this year and when they will be around?

jigfreak
03-09-2016, 11:37 PM
Theres a fb report of a bluefish caught today in moco under the bunker pods.

7deadlyplugs
03-10-2016, 07:23 AM
Don't want to start a fight but I call BS on that. Isn't the water too cold for them right now?

plugginpete
03-10-2016, 08:10 AM
Big bluefish on march 9? I call BS as well!

Monty
03-10-2016, 09:55 AM
Don't want to start a fight but I call BS on that. Isn't the water too cold for them right now?

Big bluefish on march 9? I call BS as well!

From what I hear its true, Darkskies caught it fishing from a Jetty.
He has been fishing non stop for blues lately with no time to post.

finchaser
03-10-2016, 10:48 AM
from what i hear its true, darkskies caught it fishing from a jetty.

:roflmao:ROFLMAO

baitstealer
03-10-2016, 11:00 AM
There is an old saying believe only 1/4 of what you hear, and only 1/2 of what you see. I am not an expert, still don't think you would see bluefish this early. Coming from down south they would have a long way to go to get here, no?

cowherder
03-10-2016, 11:10 AM
From what I hear its true, Darkskies caught it fishing from a Jetty.

:roflmao:ROFLMAO

X2 lol! DS where have you been miss your posts.
Seriously I think some of the tackle shop owners make up reports under fake names to get guys out there. I don't really think the fish are here that thick yet. You still keep hoping though. I want to believe they are, keep that hope going and sooner or later we will hook up.

hookedonbass
03-10-2016, 11:25 AM
Yeah I call BS x3. Never heard of a blue caught first week of march in NJ.

robmedina
03-10-2016, 11:57 AM
last May was awesome for Blues- they hit the bays with vigor and force. I hope they do the same this year. I am already planning on missing work.

finchaser
03-10-2016, 12:17 PM
X2 lol! DS where have you been miss your posts.
Seriously I think some of the tackle shop owners make up reports under fake names to get guys out there. I don't really think the fish are here that thick yet. You still keep hoping though. I want to believe they are, keep that hope going and sooner or later we will hook up.

He's sulking:waaah:

fishinmission78
03-10-2016, 12:25 PM
last May was awesome for Blues- they hit the bays with vigor and force. I hope they do the same this year. I am already planning on missing work.

Yeah just tell your boss you have anal glaucoma.:cool:

porgy75
03-10-2016, 12:31 PM
anal glaucoma what the heck is that?

robmedina
03-10-2016, 02:07 PM
anal glaucoma what the heck is that?
I can't see my *** coming into work today.

porgy75
03-10-2016, 03:22 PM
haha good one! maybe one day I'll try it. Hope I don't get fired though.

plugcrazy
04-02-2016, 10:18 AM
Report from grumpys this morning

Rain Gear Day?
Saturday, April, 2, 2016 at 3:37AM
We heard of a few fish off the beach, mostly in the morning. Blood worms and small plugs are getting some decent size fish in the back bays. Target the early morning or late evening hours?
BLUEFISH have been reported in the back!

ledhead36
04-02-2016, 12:28 PM
Some of my buddies got bitten off already in the last few days. We haven't seen any brought to the beach yet. Unless great white sharks are roaming the bayshore its a safe bet to say we got dem blues too.:)

surferman
04-02-2016, 03:36 PM
Wow that's crazy early!

jigfreak
04-06-2016, 09:33 AM
the blues are already in the barnegat. Small numbers I haven't seen any yet myself but they are there.

cowherder
04-19-2016, 12:15 AM
Here and big!:scared: Got some tonight.

VSdreams
04-19-2016, 10:44 AM
Nice! thanks for the report

hookset
04-19-2016, 08:52 PM
Picked a few to the teens tonight before dark. Lotto fun.

storminsteve
04-20-2016, 10:00 AM
Blues are in da house. Action seems slow but they are there. Got one nice one last night about 33". Missed a few others. Plugs at night. Seems they didn't want to commit completely.

storminsteve
04-30-2016, 11:40 AM
I was out this morning and couldn't find a blue to save my life. temporary hibernation? heard it is good and some of the inlets, may try that or go back out tonight. Good luck guys

cowherder
05-01-2016, 08:34 AM
I fished for them this morning, got the skunk. maybe they made a detour to Starbucks.

finchaser
05-01-2016, 01:46 PM
I got 4 this morning my friend got 5 with me and 4 at his second stop all in river

basshunter
05-01-2016, 06:55 PM
I fished for them this morning, got the skunk. maybe they made a detour to Starbucks.

Haha

basshunter
05-01-2016, 06:55 PM
I got 4 this morning my friend got 5 with me and 4 at his second stop all in river

nice going! I got nothing but the skunk today

finchaser
05-02-2016, 07:03 PM
Blues all day to 17#the good
The ugly put Dark Skis on these fish on Saturday and he's still here this will be the 3rd night he's sleeping in his car:scared::upck:

surfstix1963
05-03-2016, 12:19 PM
Moving up sleeping in the car,better then the porta john..
Blues all day to 17#the good
The ugly put Dark Skis on these fish on Saturday and he's still here this will be the 3rd night he's sleeping in his car:scared::upck:

buckethead
05-04-2016, 08:37 PM
went out late this afternoon armed with bucktail and pork rind. I had some fun with the big blue fish. They seem to be here for a little bit, and they are very large and quite fun to fight. For you younger anglers out there, make sure you are prepared for these battles. You need beefed-up rod's, reel, terminal tackle, and should have standard single siwash hooks on your rear plugs if you are fishing them.
These fish are so aggressive and active that I could see a lot of young folks potentially getting hooks in hands and fingers. Be careful out there folks and handle with care. And if you are not keeping them please treat them with the same care that you would treat stripers when releasing.

robmedina
05-08-2016, 06:00 AM
Me and my buddy Mike put in in the back side of the bay and looked for fish. Nothing was biting where we were. Heard on the radio the blues were biting at an area that was about 6 miles from us. We decided to head towards the inlet- about 4 miles one way. still couldn't find anything. No visible signs, no birds etc. We actualy followed the outgoing tide out to the inlet and withing 30 minutes of being the there the tide turned to incoming. We started heading back to the launch. I dropped a 1/2 oz bucktail with a pink trailer in. Let it fall to the bottom and got smacked by a 32" bruiser. When I landed him I could see he had sea lice on him so he was fresh from the ocean. Landed 2 more and lost 2- with an SP bullet.
It was about 7pm now and I still had 4 miles to get back so I high tailed it back but my buddy mike kept fishing all the way in. He caught 5 more and made it back after dark.

A guy at the boat ramp asked where I was fishing and said he thought he saw me out there and then asked if I saw all the large sharks jumping out of the water after the blue fish.....no and I am glad I didnt see that LOL!

seamonkey
05-08-2016, 06:29 AM
sharks in the bay? I would have crapped my pants!

finchaser
05-08-2016, 02:28 PM
Ocean calmed down somewhat and the big blues are leaving the river now that they can get out front also the pain in the a_s bunker are starting to arrive

SharkHart
05-08-2016, 05:01 PM
20218 Some of Darkskies old enemies from sripersonline tracked him and this is what he did to them. 20226 ok semi serious time, betty and nicks facebook did a number on Manasquan this week. Most learned to pronounce it just this week. When the grass got bad, do you throw it back in water on sidewalk? I dont even have to answer. Luckily heavy rains at times helped clean up the messes. in PP Appeared to be Grand parents and a very young grand daughter, walking around with bags cleaning up trash lures and line, and talking to hear out loud about the planet. I finished my Monster drink stepped on the can and kicked toward the 11 year old. No no thats a joke I didn't do that. But since thats my home away from home made me notice more this time how people get excited and don't think.

Other then that I knew something special was happening with the blue bite, blue fish of this size coming in and just camping out for a week plus just never used to happen. Friday with the sometimes rain and 20 -30 mph brought in some true monsters. I hooked this one in a screaming current and when It jumped i knew it was a special fish 20219 No scale but i measure it on my rod was 40" Had a monster head and not much fatso unsure of weight. Most fish 9 to 12 lbs found out later a Friend got 2 freaks of his own in same area that he weighed at 18 and 20 lbs. It used to be 4 to 7 lb racers in inlets and then 1 to 2lbs in the back bays, especially in SNJ May used to almost be a wash for weakies and bass casting plastics in the back bay in May, like a buzz saw with small blues and now they are non existent. really weird, where are those blues??

More pics from last few days of blue fest 2016: 2022020221202222022320224

jigfreak
05-08-2016, 05:56 PM
Have to agree with everything you said. also about Betty and Nick's burning that whole area with daily reports on where the best place to be was- front or back.
normally I fish further south but had to check it out.some of the best blue fish early spring action I have had in years.
I guess everyone else realize that because it was a real shi t show.
You had people from every country in the world going around begging for extra fish. there were people GAFFING fish and throwing them back. w t f with the poor sportsmanship. I wonder how many dead blues will be floating in the back of the inlet this week. I saw at least five people break their rods snap snap from high-sticking or not realizing how strong these fish are. I saw people bait fishing for them when the current was at its strongest. Yes sir it was a real shitshow.
I threw all mine back my biggest was 15 pounds. Did see a few around 18 19 pounds legitimate size. Some of these were skinny, Some of them were FAT, mostly large monsters. My hands and back are killing me, It was a great weekend. finchaser no offense, but I'm glad you didn't catch many today and reported a lot of them went back to the ocean lbecause otherwise people would still be there. Those two towns will never be the same.

plugcrazy
05-08-2016, 06:28 PM
Gaff and release, who does that? The immigrants?

7deadlyplugs
05-08-2016, 06:34 PM
Nice! still waiting for those Blues on the central South Shore. Good job.

Monty
05-08-2016, 06:38 PM
Nice! still waiting for those Blues on the central South Shore. Good job.

:bigeyes:

Me too.
Congrats to the Jersey guys, 2 years in a row with great Gator action.

bababooey
05-08-2016, 07:00 PM
Yes sir it was a real shitshow.
I threw all mine back my biggest was 15 pounds. Did see a few around 18 19 pounds legitimate size. Some of these were skinny, Some of them were FAT, mostly large monsters. My hands and back are killing me, It was a great weekend. finchaser no offense, but I'm glad you didn't catch many today and reported a lot of them went back to the ocean lbecause otherwise people would still be there. Those two towns will never be the same.
I took a ride there fri. Shitshow 4 sure, there was blood all over. These tourists don't care one bit about our shore.

SharkHart
05-08-2016, 07:22 PM
I meant to say this in my original post, I was saving blues but lifting the extra long leader but what a expensive fiasco that was with the water levels and ripping current and trying not to break my rod, broke off 5 in the landing zone over 3 days all carbon copy break offs as i tried to swing them up current a quick grab of the leader. I tried to use up some of the old school 100# snaps and one got straightened on the lift. Throwing some back i could feel the "I ll take that fish" eyes on me but i kept looking forward like i didn't notice their puppy dog stares lol Even though there was a lot of fish around it wasn't throw anything blitz fishing so a lot actually didn't catch or catch many. Was like bass fishing working and sweeping the bottom. Not one fish bit my lure which also was unusual, the hair on the bucktails was another story. Working an ava on the bottom worked fine too.

dogfish
05-08-2016, 10:09 PM
Gaffing and releasing. Are you guys fishing from bridges?

Rip-Plugger
05-09-2016, 02:10 AM
I took a ride there fri. Shitshow 4 sure, there was blood all over. These tourists don't care one bit about our shore.
wow,I can imagine it was like free welfare,some humans can become disgusting and even more when it';s like a free for all.
I remember days like that years ago when the gators made a show.
now one has to stay quiet,,,,when possible.

SharkHart
05-09-2016, 07:36 PM
This guy is a ying yang junk fish catcher but if you want to see a guy get his finger chomped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR6KOHZySUg

surferman
05-09-2016, 08:50 PM
Hah what a tool bag!
I see his videos all the time but this one takes the cake. He should have never let his brother-in-law near that bluefish. The guy never caught a blue fish before. SMH at the stupidity

DarkSkies
05-10-2016, 07:10 AM
This spring blue fishing has been exceptional so far, but it is like a game of musical chairs. Great one day, poor the next.

I can catch them 22 miles from my house, but have been traveling up and down New Jersey to try to be in the middle of the best bites, and hunting for the biggest fish. Yes that does involve sleeping in my car at times. I am obsessed about these giant larger bluefish and I've managed to figure out a few decent feeding patterns.
I'll talk more about it when they leave, but a bunch of us are having a great time with these tackle busting behemoths.

Remember these words:
one day soon you will blink your eyes and they will have disappeared until fall. Catch them while you can, and please, if you are not keeping them.......
treat them with the respect they deserve. Thanks.

basshunter
05-10-2016, 09:58 AM
Yeah it's disgusting sometimes. I have seen people kick blue fish back into the water like footballs. if they were in trouble like the stripers maybe people might treat them better. Congrats on the catches.

voyager35
05-10-2016, 10:12 AM
Remember these words:
one day soon you will blink your eyes and they will have disappeared until fall. Catch them while you can, and please, if you are not keeping them.......
treat them with the respect they deserve. Thanks.

it appears a lot of the big ones are already leaving.

voyager35
05-10-2016, 10:17 AM
From ristoris report yesterday

Shore fishing for big blues seems to be getting tougher in the Manasquan- Point Pleasant area. After the slow pick Sunday morning, there was nothing at all early this morning - and I didn't see even one angler in the afternoon where there had been dozens on the weekend. I also didn't see any action in the inlet, but there was a pick upriver in the Manasquan.

Capt. Bud McArthur trolled from Manasquan Inlet to Deal with his Splinter from Brick without getting a hit. He also didn't mark any bait in waters that were up to 58 degrees.

Miss Belmar Princess reported slower jigging than on Sunday, but had some from 8 to 16 pounds on shads and green-tailed jigs.

finchaser
05-10-2016, 06:23 PM
From ristoris report yesterday

Capt. Bud McArthur trolled from Manasquan Inlet to Deal with his Splinter from Brick without getting a hit. He also didn't mark any bait in waters that were up to 58 degrees.

Miss Belmar Princess reported slower jigging than on Sunday, but had some from 8 to 16 pounds on shads and green-tailed jigs.

Shore fishing for big blues seems to be getting tougher in the Manasquan- Point Pleasant area. After the slow pick Sunday morning, there was nothing at all early this morning - and I didn't see even one angler in the afternoon where there had been dozens on the weekend. I also didn't see any action in the inlet, but there was a pick upriver in the Manasquan.

Fish-stori caught one this morning on a plug at first light he is usually the kiss of death:scared: ^^^ from yesterday

7deadlyplugs
05-12-2016, 03:51 PM
"J. Christofer had a 19-pound striper plus four 18-pound blues there on bunker. Blowfish have been reported in the surf."

The above report was from a place called Island Beach. I don't fish down jersey that much. it just seems overly fantastic that someone could catch 4 18 pound blues from the beach. Plus a 19 pound striper. are all the Blues in Jersey that big right now?

storminsteve
05-21-2016, 02:06 PM
Think they might be heading offshore. Fished 5-7pm yesterday, very popular spot, nothing.
Fished another popular spot today 6-8, nothing as well. Should have brought some gulp with me to try for fluke.

lostatsea
05-22-2016, 09:03 AM
That sucks, I found some on the island beach yesterday but they were too crowded where the blues were. I left and drove above there and got two.

cowherder
05-23-2016, 02:22 PM
Maybe they are leaving the back, because I fished a river this morning and got the total skunk.

dogfish
05-25-2016, 11:58 PM
Would love to get blues the size you are getting. We get them in CC bay July and aug. Around 5-10 lbs is the norm.

Monty
06-19-2016, 08:36 PM
This blue saved me from the skunk this AM.
Slammed the Super Strike 3 oz popper and was a nice fight.

http://i2.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/2016_6_19_Gator.jpg?w=850

J Barbosa
06-19-2016, 09:42 PM
Thousands of small 1-5lb bluefish chasing spearing/bay anchovies all over Raritan Bay this past week.

Crazy to see all the Belmar/Pt Pleasant bluefish boats fishing deep in the RB near South Amboy for snapper/cocktail sized bluefish.

cowherder
06-20-2016, 12:19 AM
That's crazy coming all the way up to the RB for small blues. Where do the big ones go, I heard in Long Island?

storminsteve
06-23-2016, 11:14 AM
I meant to say this in my original post, I was saving blues but lifting the extra long leader but what a expensive fiasco that was with the water levels and ripping current and trying not to break my rod, broke off 5 in the landing zone over 3 days all carbon copy break offs as i tried to swing them up current a quick grab of the leader. I tried to use up some of the old school 100# snaps and one got straightened on the lift. Throwing some back i could feel the "I ll take that fish" eyes on me but i kept looking forward like i didn't notice their puppy dog stares lol Even though there was a lot of fish around it wasn't throw anything blitz fishing so a lot actually didn't catch or catch many. Was like bass fishing working and sweeping the bottom. Not one fish bit my lure which also was unusual, the hair on the bucktails was another story. Working an ava on the bottom worked fine too.

reading that post brought me back, dude. We did have some great blue fishing this spring in New Jersey didn't we?

storminsteve
06-23-2016, 11:15 AM
Thousands of small 1-5lb bluefish chasing spearing/bay anchovies all over Raritan Bay this past week.

Crazy to see all the Belmar/Pt Pleasant bluefish boats fishing deep in the RB near South Amboy for snapper/cocktail sized bluefish.

Yeah, if the blue fishing was that great in the ocean, why would they be driving all the way up to Raritan Bay to catch blues?

storminsteve
06-23-2016, 11:27 AM
One of my nicest and longest bluefish this year, weighed 20 pounds on the boga. 41 1/2 inches. I know you guys hear this phrase all the time but the picture does not do it justice. Caught in the back bay at a UDL.

williehookem
06-23-2016, 12:16 PM
Nice!

baitstealer
06-23-2016, 12:18 PM
Way to go Steve! Excuse my ignorance, but what is a udl?

storminsteve
06-23-2016, 12:40 PM
Undisclosed location:d
And thanks, the shore and bay blues were exceptionally big this year. Lots of fun.

Rip-Plugger
06-23-2016, 07:51 PM
One of my nicest and longest bluefish this year, weighed 20 pounds on the boga. 41 1/2 inches. I know you guys hear this phrase all the time but the picture does not do it justice. Caught in the back bay at a UDL.
what a beast,it could even stand to fill out more too,,a fine gator indeed.

Monty
06-23-2016, 09:26 PM
Congrats SS, thats a huge blue. What did you catch it on?
41 1/2 inches for a blue, huge, must have been a very nice fight.

ledhead36
06-23-2016, 10:28 PM
Hey I know that concrete I know exactly where you were!:HappyWave:
nice job Steve. Yes there were some big uns weren't there? Jersey stripers, jersey blue fishing, Jersey Girls, we have the best.

storminsteve
06-23-2016, 10:47 PM
Congrats SS, thats a huge blue. What did you catch it on?

Got it on a jar of Grey Poupon LOL.:HappyWave:
No seriously I got it on a bunker head. Guy about 100' from me got a bigger one about 44 inches biggest blue I've ever seen in my whole life from land. Also one guy got a 30 pound striper but he was the only lucky one that morning. thanks for the kind words it was a lot of fun. Anyone who whines about big blues being a pain is a girly man. My .02

Monty
06-24-2016, 01:38 PM
Anyone who whines about big blues being a pain is a girly man. My .02
Agree. Blues 30 inches to 35 inches are great. Gators 35 inches and above are awesome.

clamchucker
06-25-2016, 06:35 AM
Nice job Steve. Beautiful fish.

cowherder
10-30-2016, 12:14 AM
Where are the big blues? I am so itching for some of those monster Gorillas!

surferman
10-30-2016, 02:40 AM
Def not in Cape May that's for sure.

Monty
10-30-2016, 05:52 PM
Where are the big blues? I am so itching for some of those monster Gorillas!

I mentioned in another thread, I have caught 2 Blues since August 1st. While I find it surprising, last year in the same time frame I only had 3.
This year I did catch a lot more earlier than in 2015.

7deadlyplugs
11-01-2016, 03:33 PM
They have been big in the LI sound. Various times when bunker were around from Shore. North Shore, I got a few in the last 2 weeks on pencil poppers right around the hour before sunset.

storminsteve
11-05-2016, 12:54 PM
I keep hearing about these downtown big blue's and I have yet to see one with my own eyes. I will keep trying, may hit it again this afternoon.

storminsteve
11-05-2016, 12:56 PM
I mentioned in another thread, I have caught 2 Blues since August 1st. While I find it surprising, last year in the same time frame I only had 3.
This year I did catch a lot more earlier than in 2015.
pffffffft! I guess maybe you should have turned in your jar of Grey Poupon & fished Jersey then! we had the best spring Bluefish action I have seen in years it was fantastic. Sucks to be you!:HappyWave:

7deadlyplugs
11-05-2016, 02:11 PM
gray poupon? What's that all about?

Monty
11-05-2016, 07:49 PM
pffffffft! I guess maybe you should have turned in your jar of Grey Poupon & fished Jersey then! we had the best spring Bluefish action I have seen in years it was fantastic. Sucks to be you!:HappyWave:

I had a good June OK July with Blues/Gators :HappyWave:

gray poupon? What's that all about?

I like Grey Poupon on my Liverwurst and Onion samwhiches.
I think SS is a french yellow guy.

July Gator

http://i2.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/2016_7_24_Gator_1.jpg?w=850

storminsteve
11-06-2016, 05:22 AM
Big deal you got some bluefish in Wonderland. one or two a trip.We had thousands of them in the Jersey bays and oceans. Thousands!
Jersey fishing puts Long Island fishing to shame! while you were touching your one measly Blue Fish we were catching 10 and 20 a time. Nothing comes close to the action we have in Jersey in the spring. And we have had some big monster blue fish on the beach so far this year this fall, but I just seem to keep missing them.
I'll take that over Lawn-gay-land any day!:headbang:

storminsteve
11-06-2016, 05:24 AM
BTW French and goldens mustard or okay by me because they are American mustards! I show my American Pride by what I eat, not that gay Grey Poupon LOL:HappyWave:

surferman
11-06-2016, 05:34 AM
I don't have knowledge of Long Island. Have heard some good things about Montauk. It does seem that NJ bays seem to hold more blue fish, and for a longer amount of time. Anyone have any ideas why this is? Thanks

7deadlyplugs
11-06-2016, 06:49 AM
Hey now, when you talk about Long Island you're talking about a big place north shore, montauk, south shore and the east river. Right now my cousin has been on the north shore all week catching some big blues The boat guys are absolutely crushing them. I think it has to do with where ever the biggest amount of adult bunker are, and there are a lot of bunker in the long island sound right now. My two cents

williehookem
11-15-2016, 07:04 AM
We had them on the NS of Long Island last week. There were a lot of bunker around and you could get these blues with pencil poppers, mostly in late afternoon. It was fantastic, some of the biggest blues I have ever seen.

cowherder
11-19-2016, 02:47 PM

it's a big and fat blue, but doesn't look 30 pounds to me

surferman
11-19-2016, 02:51 PM
He's got that gorilla extended all the way out away from his body. Didn't anyone notice that?

basshunter
11-19-2016, 04:16 PM
It does look very fat though

porgy75
11-19-2016, 10:48 PM
I got some nice ones today by casting a pencil popper out as far as I could. Five up to 15 pounds. Nothing like a 30 pounder though ROFL.
I would love to catch 20 or 22 pounds I think that would be enough of a bottle for me.

vpass
11-20-2016, 09:47 AM
I don't believe it. His arms are fully extended. normally big fish are held to the side for more leverage to hold the weight.