PDA

View Full Version : NJ Fishing Reports for April 2016

voyager35
04-01-2016, 01:45 PM
Andrea's Toy reported stripers to 36 inches 2 days a row in the channels of Raritan Bay. They're here, game on.

hookedonbass
04-01-2016, 01:54 PM
Thats good news. Fished the back of rb last night. What a wind tunnel that was. Managed one short striper on clams. Not too many dudes out there. Think the wind kept them home.

clamchucker
04-01-2016, 02:07 PM
I haven't been out that much so far. However the east side of the barnegat bay is warm enough for plugs and rubber. Some of my associates have been getting fish near sundown on warmer days. Good luck folks.

DarkSkies
04-01-2016, 02:36 PM
NJ Fishing Reports for January 2016 - www. StripersAndAnglers.com

Short and sweet......

1. Post your fishing reports here.....
2. Be as specific as ya want....but remember the limited access....If you don't enjoy fishing next to 40 friends at night in a 400 foot section of beach, think before ya post.....:idea:

3. Location -
Out front....
out back.....
or the county...

further details on the first page of any past S&A monthly fishing reports.

4. Moderation...
I rarely have time to moderate these threads.
If something needs to be addressed,and you are a contributing member.....please PM me or send an e-mail via the report post button.

** Thanks for your cooperation and for being such a great group! :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
04-01-2016, 02:37 PM
**Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post. If you began to register and can't post, check your spam folder for your activation instructions.
If you are not able to post or have problems logging on, making sure this is correct will most likely fix your problem. Thanks. :HappyWave:

Spammers:
This and other websites that have been around more than a few years, have been inundated with spammers.
You folks never see them because I have a few methods of blocking or banning them.
There have been cases where members were banned before they got a chance to post, because they fit a spammer profile.

I'm sorry folks, but I just don't have to time to differentiate real, honest anglers who want to contribute to a site, who fit a spammer profile......... from spammers with malicious intent, who fit a spammer profile.

Because I try to cover all possibilities, a while back I sent a massive e-mailing to members where there were questions. I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt, and change their member status to active if it was possible a mistake was made.

If you're
a. not a contributing member to a site
b. and created bogus e-mails to join, the legitimacy of your membership would most likely be questioned.
There are several ways to contact Admin on here. If someone hasn't made use of the contact tools that we provide, that's on them.
I do the best I can, and the safety of our site and members has to take priority.

Any of the group e-mails I sent out, if you haven't responded by the end of January 2016 to correct any membership problems, it will likely take a long time for me to correct your issue as I just won't have the time after that.

Everyone has to have at least one website that they feel comfortable posting at and contributing to.
We have a lot of good members here who go out of their way to help the new guy and contribute by posting.
If a member doesn't feel the need to reciprocate, we wish them the best of luck elsewhere.

Thanks for reading.....
Happiness and Good Health to All! :HappyWave::fishing:

seamonkey
04-01-2016, 02:48 PM
Andrea's Toy reported stripers to 36 inches 2 days a row in the channels of Raritan Bay. They're here, game on.

Same good news in the bigD but I haven't seen any of those fish yet. Worked the water yesterday with blood worms. It was a little dirty which may have had something to do with the poor bite. Dudes I talked to were not optimistic and hadn't caught stripers in a day or so. I did catch some fish, white perch, and one cat around 3lbs which will be blackened and grilled tomorrow. Other than that, no striped pajamas for me.

lostatsea
04-02-2016, 09:53 AM
Spammers:
You folks never see them because I have a few methods of blocking or banning them.
There have been cases where members were banned before they got a chance to post, because they fit a spammer profile.

I'm sorry folks, but I just don't have to time to differentiate real, honest anglers who want to contribute to a site, who fit a spammer profile......... from spammers with malicious intent, who fit a spammer profile.

Because I try to cover all possibilities, a while back I sent a massive e-mailing to members where there were questions. I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt, and change their member status to active if it was possible a mistake was made.

We have a lot of good members here who go out of their way to help the new guy and contribute by posting.
If a member doesn't feel the need to reciprocate, we wish them the best of luck elsewhere.

Thanks for reading.....
Happiness and Good Health to All! :HappyWave::fishing:

Agree with this 100%! Eff the lurkers they bring nothing of value to the table. Thanks for all you do and good luck fishing this year. Hope you are well, really miss your informative reports.:HappyWave:

lostatsea
04-02-2016, 09:54 AM
Fished moco last night. got 7 stripers all shorts. They are getting bigger saw 2 keepers caught. Clams.

hookset
04-02-2016, 10:02 AM
Nice work.

VSdreams
04-02-2016, 10:12 AM
Lurkers Suck A*SS! Love it lmao. Good job on the catching fellas thanks for the intel.

plugcrazy
04-02-2016, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the reports. They are always enjoyed and I try to pitch in with whatever I learn out there. great site keep up the good work.

ledhead36
04-02-2016, 12:33 PM
Rich don't ever apologize for what you do here. You and the missus do a great job. Anyone who doesn't like it like the meatmen can go pound sand. This isn't a pretty boy site for the abercrombie and fitch fishermen who are so afraid to touch bait they have to wear blue gloves.
This site is raw and real. I like it that you don't put folks in time out. If they dont like it here they can just leave. Real fishermen only need apply. My .02

ledhead36
04-02-2016, 12:35 PM
I and my buds been fishing a lot lately. Some great nights and a lot of terrible nights in between. Will catch up and post when I get a chance, the fish are there if you put some time in. DS sighting - As for DS, hes not dead. Saw him out there deep in the night. Good to see you again brother, it's been too long. We thought you forgot about us. Tight lines everyone.

surferman
04-02-2016, 03:39 PM
Awesome to hear. The BigD is heating up as well. Lots of schoolies being caught. Am going out in a little while to try to fish the afternoon into sunset bite. Will report back. Best of luck gents.

basshunter
04-02-2016, 08:16 PM
Love the ball busting and good hearted back and forth. Just wanted to say thanks.

basshunter
04-02-2016, 08:16 PM
Also a skunk report, if that matters. I was out in somoco in the am. Tossed bucktails and shads, no takers.Water looked very fishy. soon!

VSdreams
04-02-2016, 11:12 PM
Nice work gents. Fished a few hours in the back after learning about some of the boat and kayak action. Picked up a handful of shorts on clams. One guy got a cow on bunker chunk. The action wasn't perfect though there was a nice fish caught in my area. Back out again after the snow.

baitstealer
04-03-2016, 08:06 AM
Went to oc places yesterday to try to find some stripers. That didn't work out for me. I fished in the back where a lot of guys said they had been getting them. On the way back I stopped by the Mantaloking bridge. There is a little fishing area there and some guys were fishing for flounders. They said they had caught though I didn't see anyone catch while I was there. I hope it is ok to say that and not spot burning. I might go back and check out at different time. It seems stripers are now starting to run in better numbers so good luck to all of you on that too. Thanks for all the help and advice guys I really appreciate it.

baitstealer
04-03-2016, 08:07 AM
Tossed bucktails and shads, no takers.Water looked very fishy. soon!

I agree the water looked so fishy to me yesterday too!

seamonkey
04-03-2016, 08:17 AM
Fished the bigD yesterday eve, skunk followed me home.

fishinmission78
04-03-2016, 09:21 AM
Bays have really warmed up. will be good fishing weather after today

seamonkey
04-04-2016, 11:16 AM
Nice going gentlemen. Fished the bigD again last night. 2 short stripers and a few cats.

baitstealer
04-04-2016, 11:27 AM
I fished moco yesterday from 6-7pm right near sunset. It was real windy so tryed to find a place with some houses in the background. Used bucktails and rubber. Ocean was real flat with the wind and didn't see any bait or birds all up and down. Still it was a nice trip even though I caught the :skunk:

surferman
04-04-2016, 02:03 PM
Nice going gentlemen. Fished the bigD again last night. 2 short stripers and a few cats.

Hey bud thanks for trying. The delaware was a little messed up by all those high winds. Drove by yesterday and it looked like you could have gone surfing in the water. Whitecaps and such. At least you gave it a shot.

buckethead
04-04-2016, 03:44 PM
Have been out and about since the wind started to die down. Yesterday picked a few small bass. today a few as well in my usual haunts. These are all very small. Must be YOY that just became active. All on jig and white curly tail.

porgy75
04-04-2016, 08:47 PM
Nice work men. Seems like it is all about being out there at the right moment. Or being out in a boat. I went fishing twice in the ocean before the winds kicked up this weekend. Skunnk city for me. Guess my timing was off by a little. Thanks for the tips and congrats.

lostatsea
04-05-2016, 08:07 AM
Hey that's why they call it fishing and not catching right? It is colder than a witches *it this morning!

I wanted to go out last night but the little wimp inside me said 'STAY HOME!" I think there is a good chance of catching something tho by reading all the reports. Maybe you do have to be in a boat, maybe not. Will try towards the end of the week and post up. Thanks to all you brave souls you guys are hardcore!

fishinmission78
04-05-2016, 08:24 AM
Definitely some rats around in the oc and ac surf. Friends of mine have been getting double digits on select afternoons when the weather is right. Nothing over 19" though. Once we get a few sunny days it will be game on.

hookedonbass
04-05-2016, 08:26 AM
Nice thanks for the intel.

hookedonbass
04-05-2016, 08:27 AM
Hey that's why they call it fishing and not catching right? It is colder than a witches *it this morning!

I wanted to go out last night but the little wimp inside me said 'STAY HOME!" I think there is a good chance of catching something tho by reading all the reports. Maybe you do have to be in a boat, maybe not. Will try towards the end of the week and post up. Thanks to all you brave souls you guys are hardcore!

haha no worries man. Can't tell you how many times I have had that same conversation with myself.

cowherder
04-05-2016, 08:51 PM
Fished moco tonight. Someone said it was cold? Sure was, but had to try because the winds died down. Nice night out there cold clear and crisp. Reminded me of november. Not a touch for me.

hookset
04-06-2016, 07:19 AM
Same for me, nice cold night, wind not bad, still damn cold, cold water skunk. Think the drop in temp turned the fish off a little. Few more days and it will be back again.

baitstealer
04-06-2016, 07:32 AM
Have to give you guys credit for trying. It went down to 27 degrees in my neighborhood last night.

hookedonbass
04-06-2016, 07:40 AM
^^^^^^^ brrrr. Hoping the south winds will warm things up a big. Got some heavy rain coming with that though.

storminsteve
04-06-2016, 09:24 AM
:clapping: to the real men who were fishing last night and yesterday while the rest of us were like :scared::waaah: in front of a warm fire! Will be out this weekend looking for stripes. Maybe some blues might be here by then too. Good luck fellas.

jigfreak
04-06-2016, 09:32 AM
Not so much that we're real men but trying to get some quality bass fishing time in before the bluefish invade like roaches. Steve the blues are already in the barnegat. Small numbers I haven't seen any yet myself but they are there. Fished last night because of the tides, good water, cold as was mentioned, not much in the terms of pullage. Out again with the new moon on Thu if it's fishable.

seamonkey
04-06-2016, 10:18 AM
Have to give you guys credit for trying. It went down to 27 degrees in my neighborhood last night.

x2. Have tried to post my fair share of reports. The winds the last 5 days have been killer. Very much an incentive to stay indoors. Nice effort, gentlemen.

bababooey
04-06-2016, 10:25 AM
Not so much that we're real men but trying to get some quality bass fishing time in before the bluefish invade like roaches.

And when they do get here in full force they will be like roaches. In every nook and cranny and impossible to troll without getting covered up. Have to put the rubber away or it gets all chewed up. Not a big fan of the blues.:burn:

fishinmission78
04-06-2016, 02:22 PM
Very surprising bite in OC this morning.
Went to fish the high tide before I had to go to work. got a bunch o rats on a small ava jerked along the bottom. A friend said he was getting some so I had to go see for myself.
There are a lot of small fish around right now gents. Catch em up.

surferman
04-06-2016, 03:18 PM
Nice! I wonder what it is about Ocean County that all those little fish are around so early on in the season? Anyone know?

porgy75
04-06-2016, 03:46 PM
Great news, thanks for the Intel.

SharkHart
04-06-2016, 08:42 PM
The Barnaget bay is relatively shallow and the bottom conducts warmth too, small fish come in there in numbers every spring , even if its out front thats where they are headed.

basshunter
04-08-2016, 04:09 PM
Fished moco last night. Wind in my face felt good to get out and try. Got 3 shorty stripers on clams. Saw some decent keepers too.

buckethead
04-08-2016, 04:21 PM
Good job on the persistence. Have fished out front the past 2 mornings and skunk for me. Friends fishing a little further south are catching small stripers. I know they should be where I am fishing too. Back out after the weekend to try some more.

basshunter
04-08-2016, 04:27 PM
Thanks. I was there for a long time. Was getting frustrated and most of the guys went home. Just me and some spanish guys left still toughing it out. Then there was like an hour when the fish started hitting. That woke me up real fast! There's nothing to get you pumped up about fishing when you are tired and ready to give it up, and the fish start biteing.:fishing:
Still no keepers but I was happy. Hope this cold weather on the weekend doesn't shut them down again.

seamonkey
04-08-2016, 04:35 PM
Nice going persistence pays off.

cowherder
04-08-2016, 05:36 PM
Good job there. I gave it a try in MoCo after the rain. The conditions seemed pretty nice for the first week of april. Little windy though as you said. One missed fish for me and that was it. Next time will have to pay more attention.

jigfreak
04-08-2016, 05:49 PM
Fished this morning pre-sunrise in oc. It was dead, zippo.

jigfreak
04-08-2016, 05:51 PM
Thanks. I was there for a long time. Was getting frustrated and most of the guys went home. Just me and some spanish guys left still toughing it out. Then there was like an hour when the fish started hitting. That woke me up real fast! There's nothing to get you pumped up about fishing when you are tired and ready to give it up, and the fish start biteing.:fishing:
Still no keepers but I was happy. Hope this cold weather on the weekend doesn't shut them down again.

Nice going. Heard of a decent bite up that way. Also heard it's hit and miss and tough to plan around. Just got to be there when they're around I guess. This up and down temperature changes also doesn't help anything either.

baitstealer
04-08-2016, 05:56 PM
Good job on putting your time in.

fishinmission78
04-08-2016, 06:18 PM
Tried to find the runts again, failed. Still I like this quote-
""I've spent some time fishing the local banks by me. There's fish here but the majority are small. I caught one dink this morning and saw two others caught. There's keepers but not the majority yet. It's not hot fishing but better than sitting home."

DarkSkies
04-08-2016, 09:03 PM
I have been out a lot lately. Fishing good and bad for me, lots of miles walking and scouting. Spoke to some of you people via text. The fish you find today may not be here tomorrow. Many are migrating and fast moving. Word to the wise. :learn: :HappyWave:

hookset
04-09-2016, 04:56 AM
Nice to see you posting again DS.
Fished last night got the skunk, may try again on Sun if it calms down.

VSdreams
04-09-2016, 06:52 AM
Mo Co from 7-10pm. A lot colder out than I thought it would be. One short striper on clams.

SharkHart
04-09-2016, 03:26 PM
I finally engaged the stripers, didnt start to 2 am, wishing i didnt try for Trout earlier in the evening because i couldny do anything wrong, first stop was a combination of solid amount of rats and 27-29" taking bait of the surface, got about 8 but as the moon tide picked up they started to shut down and move out far too.
Made a move and found the big fish, I sure stepped in it, 6 hookups with 3 landed , most seemed around 20lbs with the one big one over 30, daylight shut em down. Guy saw me landed one walked up and gave me the ok if i fish right here look, I said I don't care if you get right next to me they are here. He got a few too.

This picture is crap but I estimated this one to be 30-32 lbs20142

hookedonbass
04-10-2016, 12:32 AM
Fished the bay tonight. Hit 2 early season hot spots and only managed one striped bass on clam. Was windy and cold. The kind of stuff that you read about on the fishing blogs that produces. Just not for me lol.

hookedonbass
04-10-2016, 12:34 AM
sharkhart that is a fantastic report. WOW nice fish! Do you mind if I ask what plug gave you the most success? It looks like a white SP? thanks and congrats.

finchaser
04-10-2016, 06:46 AM
Way to go Matt

williehookem
04-10-2016, 12:14 PM
Awesome! Beautiful fish. Congrats!

cowherder
04-10-2016, 01:49 PM
Fantastic catching job shark! You put your time in and got em, great job.

SharkHart
04-10-2016, 02:06 PM
sharkhart that is a fantastic report. WOW nice fish! Do you mind if I ask what plug gave you the most success? It looks like a white SP? thanks and congrats.

Thats actually a long shot bomber, the bigger one, a very under rated plug but i did get a few on SPs. Its funny when I go to like surf day people ask whoose 50 dollar custom wood plugs did you buy? Well i dont buy any I use SP, Bomber and Superstrike hard plastics.

I ventured out last night and wheeew was it cold the eyes were constantly icing up. The young dude who let fish tight friday was there with 5 of his friends haa why didn't I see that coming. The hard NW all day blew out the tide and was just so low but i picked up a fish around 25lbs on a superstriker darter.

lostatsea
04-10-2016, 05:51 PM
I finally engaged the stripers, didnt start to 2 am, wishing i didnt try for Trout earlier in the evening because i couldny do anything wrong, first stop was a combination of solid amount of rats and 27-29" taking bait of the surface, got about 8 but as the moon tide picked up they started to shut down and move out far too.
Made a move and found the big fish, I sure stepped in it, 6 hookups with 3 landed , most seemed around 20lbs with the one big one over 30, daylight shut em down. Guy saw me landed one walked up and gave me the ok if i fish right here look, I said I don't care if you get right next to me they are here. He got a few too.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20141&stc=1
This picture is crap but I estimated this one to be 30-32 lbshttp://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20142&stc=1

Man that is an awesome report. So pumped up after reading it. Most of the reports right now are about stripers 10-18 inchers. Glad someone is finding the big ones good job.

storminsteve
04-11-2016, 12:18 AM
Beautiful fish man you must of been pumped when you got her!

hookset
04-11-2016, 12:48 AM
Fished the bay for the last few hours of the incoming tonight. Got one short on a rubber shad.

hookset
04-11-2016, 12:48 AM
Great job sharkhart.

7deadlyplugs
04-11-2016, 12:53 PM
That fish is a slob. Bad pic or not you can tell it has mass. Congrats and tight lines to you. thanks for sharing it.

baitstealer
04-11-2016, 03:16 PM
True cow nice catch!

jigfreak
04-12-2016, 03:15 AM
Nice going SH. Fished the back bay both sides of the high tide tonight. Lots of bait around. Picked up a few runts on rubber. Might make a move to a different spot next time out.

ledhead36
04-12-2016, 03:01 PM
Time to fish gents the water temps are up. shark hart that is a very respectable striper. Biggest I seen this year in the bay so far was 31 lbs and the only one that size caught that night. Good job.

basshunter
04-12-2016, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up, man. I was out there last night trying to do my part to support the local tackle shops by buying bait. Fished clams and bunker, nothing but skates. This was in moco. Heard one of the point pleasant boats got some stripers in the ocean. Hopefully it won't be long now. What a strange season. Usually I remember a lot of stripers getting caught by now.

surferman
04-13-2016, 08:28 AM
Tried something different monday night. Tried the cape may surf with clams. This time of year the bass start hitting. Didn't work out that way, got the skunk.

surferman
04-13-2016, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the heads up, man. I was out there last night trying to do my part to support the local tackle shops by buying bait. Fished clams and bunker, nothing but skates.

Support your local B&T! :thumbsup:

buckethead
04-13-2016, 02:12 PM
Fished my usual haunts this morning. Some gannets diving way out, no fish in the surf.

baitstealer
04-13-2016, 06:50 PM
Support your local B&T! :thumbsup:

X2!

porgy75
04-13-2016, 06:56 PM
Thats actually a long shot bomber, the bigger one, a very under rated plug but i did get a few on SPs. Its funny when I go to like surf day people ask whoose 50 dollar custom wood plugs did you buy? Well i dont buy any I use SP, Bomber and Superstrike hard plastics.

I ventured out last night and wheeew was it cold the eyes were constantly icing up. The young dude who let fish tight friday was there with 5 of his friends haa why didn't I see that coming. The hard NW all day blew out the tide and was just so low but i picked up a fish around 25lbs on a superstriker darter.

Mucho congrats to you for getting out there and catching that monster. Thanks for sharing what worked as well. I have been out a few times and got some shorties on clams. Tried tosssing shads and SPs but it was not working for me. Appreciate the details and good luck to you for sharing,

finchaser
04-14-2016, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by SharkHart http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?p=92148#post92148) . Its funny when I go to like surf day people ask whoose 50 dollar custom wood plugs did you buy? Well i dont buy any I use SP, Bomber and Superstrike hard plastics.

X2^^^^ wood is good but plastics better always swims the same

lostatsea
04-14-2016, 07:50 PM
Fished some sod banks last night. Fresh bloody bunker, no hits or errors,

voyager35
04-14-2016, 08:24 PM
Boat report shakedown cruise today. We trolled from SRI to Monmouth Beach and were not that successful. 2 short stripers. We probably should have gone up to raritan bay as it seems they had good action there trolling. We were pressed for time and did not do that. next time.The big Jamaica reported catching some stripers just off of manasquan today. .

buckethead
04-14-2016, 08:32 PM
You can't catch them from the couch, right? Thanks for the news voyager that's encouraging. I walked moco hoping for a sunrise bite today and came up empty handed.

hookedonbass
04-14-2016, 08:35 PM
The big Jamaica reported catching some stripers just off of manasquan today. .

Yesssssss!!!!! Finally

cowherder
04-14-2016, 08:42 PM
I am so glad to hear they are catching stripers in the ocean. Just finished fishing in the back. Was tossing shads and some plugs, sps, etc. One missed fish and that was it. A few guys fishing clams got shorts. Not a lot of happening. And that was despite the bunker that were around, happy bunker. Kept hitting them with my plug. No takers though. I hope those stripers come in and fill the bay we surely need some. Bluefish too I can't wait.

storminsteve
04-15-2016, 08:29 AM
Out last night plugging. Experienced the same thing you did. Lots of bunker. Kept at it and when they moved in picked up one striper on a plug. Some of the bait guys did well.

surferman
04-15-2016, 08:55 AM
Good to hear about the bunker. They finally showed up in Cape May as well.

jigfreak
04-15-2016, 09:17 AM
Fished the back in OC last nite. Got a bakers dozen of shorts with a simple jig and pink fin-s. Was looking for a weakie but it was not to be. Still the bass were fun and feisty.

baitstealer
04-15-2016, 09:20 AM
Nice!

buckethead
04-15-2016, 11:47 AM
Did my usual walk this morning out front in mc. Just a walk again, no fish.

porgy75
04-15-2016, 09:03 PM
Back of the bay tonight. Heard of some nice striped bass caught. The old "you should have been yesterday" type of stuff. I got 1 short. Still using clams. Based on some of the stuff I am reading here do you guys think it's time to switch to bunker? Thanks

basshunter
04-15-2016, 10:06 PM
Wow buckethead gets skunked that is sad news.

storminsteve
04-17-2016, 12:27 AM
Fished moco tonight good weather and tides. Threw the bag the best I could do was one short on a storm shad. Did see one guy pull out a pretty big blue fish on a bunker chunk. The blue had to be at least 10 lbs or more. Hope some more come in soon, I love the fight.

hookedonbass
04-17-2016, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the news on the bigger blues. Would love to see them too. I fished moco starting at 6pm and just ending now. Must have covered 15 miles and it was pretty dismal. No bird life in close, and no fish for me. Did talk to a few guys who got some short stripers on clams and bunker. At least with the blues there is more consistent action and you can avoid the skunk. It seems the only way to get into bigger stripers lately is be on a boat in the middle of the bay or the channels.

lostatsea
04-17-2016, 12:06 PM
Fished ocean county in the back 9-11pm. Heard of some fish on the sedges. Well they weren't there where I was. Heard of some blues too. May try to go this afternoon looking for a blues hookup.

cowherder
04-17-2016, 12:50 PM
In da back of rb, 5-6am perfect conditions for pre-sunrise. Fished shads, bucks, SPs. and bigger stuff. At dawn started throwing a popper and picked up one 24" striper. I am hoping for bluefish too bring it!

SharkHart
04-17-2016, 01:48 PM
20170 I was fishing a spawn staging area, knew it was about kaput, decided to try instead of small bass, two hours of casting I got a good thump and a great fight she was throwing a lot of water in the landing zone, just at the point where you saying not now not now, should i put light on to see her, it popped off and i notice the replacment spro gave way. I let the expletives fly as I knew it was probably my only chance tonight and it was. Gonna start welding these things i swear

finchaser
04-17-2016, 03:36 PM
Rosco 4 or 5 H never had one open much stronger than spro^^^

cowherder
04-17-2016, 08:41 PM
Fished moco tonight it really was beautiful. The fishing wasn't that beautiful. I started with a bucktail for no love. Then before sundown tossed a popper. I think the big blues are here even though I didn't catch any. I was about ready to give up tossing the popper and on my last cast. I was bringing it in and thinking about where I was going to go for a slice of pizza. Just when I went to lift the plug out of the water there was a massive splash about 10 feet in front of me. That fish must have been following my plug and would not commit. I was so shocked I screamed a little like a girl. Then I wanted that fish so spent the next 15 minutes popping that popper for no results. It was a nice fish. Could have been a striper but didn't see the stripes and fish jumped out of the water. It was dark and steely gray. I am hoping it was a blue and that the bigger ones are coming into our neighborhood. Woo hoo!

cowherder
04-17-2016, 08:43 PM
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20170&stc=1 I was fishing a spawn staging area, knew it was about kaput, decided to try instead of small bass, two hours of casting I got a good thump and a great fight she was throwing a lot of water in the landing zone, just at the point where you saying not now not now, should i put light on to see her, it popped off and i notice the replacment spro gave way. I let the expletives fly as I knew it was probably my only chance tonight and it was. Gonna start welding these things i swear

I hate when that happens. Your mind plays all sorts of tricks on you and you start calculating how it could have been your PB fish for the year. Losing a big fish like that makes me crazy with anxiety. You never know exactly how big it could have been. The ones that get away always haunt me.

basshunter
04-18-2016, 10:30 AM
Fished rb in the back this morning from 5-7a. No dice on the catching. One guy out of all of us got something a blue about 32 inches. He was using fresh bloody bunker chunks.

lostatsea
04-18-2016, 04:27 PM
Nice going guys. They got some bigger bluefish and said stripers under them. this was reported near point pleasant inlet. Think it will be real interesting this week.

cowherder
04-19-2016, 12:18 AM
Yep I found them this afternoon into the night. didn't catch a lot, only 2. They were 13 and 15lbs on the boga real bruisers! Lost 2 more. I realized how unprepared I was for them had to retie my lines twice and lost some nice poppers. Guys take a tip from me and check all your gear. I haven't caught them in so long I forgot how damaging they can be to your tackle and gear.

VSdreams
04-19-2016, 10:45 AM
Wtg!

Monty
04-19-2016, 12:59 PM
Yep I found them this afternoon into the night. didn't catch a lot, only 2. They were 13 and 15lbs on the boga real bruisers! Lost 2 more. I realized how unprepared I was for them had to retie my lines twice and lost some nice poppers. Guys take a tip from me and check all your gear. I haven't caught them in so long I forgot how damaging they can be to your tackle and gear.
Congrats on getting into them. Very nice size.

hookset
04-19-2016, 08:53 PM
Nice work CH. Got into them too this afternoon. All head and no body but some still nice size. To the teens, metal and poppers.

buckethead
04-20-2016, 09:15 AM
Fished moco for my 4th trip in the row without a bass from the ocean. Will have to broaden my horizons. May go looking for some bluefish in the back this afternoon.

storminsteve
04-20-2016, 10:00 AM
Got one nice blue last night about 33". Missed a few others. Plugs at night. Seems they didn't want to commit completely.

fishinmission78
04-20-2016, 10:19 AM
Fished OC in the back on the sods. Picked up a bunch of short fish in the dark. It was windy to had to go with a stubby needle with white flag tail. They liked it.

fishinmission78
04-20-2016, 10:20 AM
Fished moco for my 4th trip in the row without a bass from the ocean. Will have to broaden my horizons. May go looking for some bluefish in the back this afternoon.

I sent you some info bucket. Welcome to the dark side! It really is better deeper into the night. Everyone goes home and you can concentrate on fishing.

baitstealer
04-20-2016, 12:15 PM
great news guys thanks. Will be out this week searching for the blue monsters.

J Barbosa
04-20-2016, 02:15 PM
Went out last night thought I was going to crush it again and almost struck out. Went 1/4 on bass. Fish went 20# on boga.

So excited that the bluefish are here!

bababooey
04-20-2016, 05:22 PM
So excited that the bluefish are here!

:scared:I knew the guys on this site had mental problems but this is just the icing on the cake. Why be happy about bluefish? When you are trolling and they are around they ruin your spread. They destroy shad rigs. Why excited please detail?

basshunter
04-20-2016, 06:11 PM
Went out last night thought I was going to crush it again and almost struck out. Went 1/4 on bass. Fish went 20# on boga.

Wow you "almost" struck out lmao. Saved by a 20# striper. I need to make a mental note to fish some different areas - that sounds like a fantastic fishing outing to me. Congratz on the beauty. What vehicle did you say you drive? :)

lostatsea
04-20-2016, 06:13 PM
Yeah that would be a great trip for me too. WTG on the 20 pounder did it take bait or lures?

J Barbosa
04-21-2016, 10:19 AM
:scared:I knew the guys on this site had mental problems but this is just the icing on the cake. Why be happy about bluefish? When you are trolling and they are around they ruin your spread. They destroy shad rigs. Why excited please detail?

Bluefish actually put up a fight. I make most of the stuff I fish so I don't care if it gets beat up. I can re-pour my own shads, make my own umbrella and mojo rigs and metals.

Wow you "almost" struck out lmao. Saved by a 20# striper. I need to make a mental note to fish some different areas - that sounds like a fantastic fishing outing to me. Congratz on the beauty. What vehicle did you say you drive? :)

Look for the white Bentley with a rod rack on the front grill and kayak holder on the roof. :)

Yeah that would be a great trip for me too. WTG on the 20 pounder did it take bait or lures?

That fish took a chunk. 50+ fish this week only 2 caught on chunked or live baits...everything else on plugs, mojos or swim shads.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20180&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20181&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20182&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20183&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20184&stc=1

J Barbosa
04-21-2016, 10:25 AM
Went out exploring from land last night looking for solitude (I found it - didn't see one other fisherman all night) unfortunately didn't find any fish either. Seen one swirl around sunbreak and a scattered bunker here or there.

basshunter
04-21-2016, 01:49 PM
Bluefish actually put up a fight. I make most of the stuff I fish so I don't care if it gets beat up. I can re-pour my own shads, make my own umbrella and mojo rigs and metals.

Look for the white Bentley with a rod rack on the front grill and kayak holder on the roof. :)

That fish took a chunk. 50+ fish this week only 2 caught on chunked or live baits...everything else on plugs, mojos or swim shads.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20180&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20181&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20182&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20183&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20184&stc=1

Whoa dude you are having an incredible season so far congrats!

basshunter
04-21-2016, 01:50 PM
Went out exploring from land last night looking for solitude (I found it - didn't see one other fisherman all night) unfortunately didn't find any fish either. Seen one swirl around sunbreak and a scattered bunker here or there.

Hey you can't win em all. Heard those fish are feeding heavily on bunker. They can't eat those big protein meals every day. Or can they?

basshunter
04-21-2016, 01:54 PM
Fished pm yesterday and found the mother lode of bluefish. Or maybe it was the other way around they found me lol. I was casting an SP for stripers right around sunset. It was calm and a slight breeze, getting colder out. I was casting for an hour and about to go home. All of a sudden bunker appeared in front of me. For the next half hour it was mayhem. Quickly lost the SP to a hungry demon snapped my leader like it was nothing. Then I went with a bucktail and was banging them good. Got demons to 13 pounds. This was in the back right into sunset and stopped with slack tide. Man are my arms sore today!

jigfreak
04-21-2016, 02:02 PM
Nice going jb. Picked up a few bass and blues last nite on the sods. Spearing were in tight all over and the bass and blues had them pushed up scared for their lives. The shadow line had fish popping and slupring everywhere. Good night with a lot of mostly little guys mixed in and more bass than blues. Managed 2 keepers to 13lbs, released. Rubber and 1/2 oz jig.

porgy75
04-21-2016, 02:46 PM
Reading about the blues got me all excited. Went looking to hook up with blues or strippers at sunrise today in moco. I thought they would be relatively easy to catch. Tried the bucktail, rubber shad, and some pluggage. Got shad bit in half by a blue at sunrise and that was it. So is it a time of tide thing or a time of day thing if I could ask. Maybe I need to change up my retrieve. btw I was fishing the incoming tide.

storminsteve
04-21-2016, 03:28 PM
JB nice work with your boat fish those are some fat pigs.

storminsteve
04-21-2016, 03:33 PM

Same for me, fished for 4 hours, only one bluefish to show for it. Also missed 2 hits too. I'm thinking they are not that aggressive at night with the change in water temps at the end of the day. I bet if I chunked bunker I would have got more.

surferman
04-21-2016, 03:36 PM
Awesome reports fellas would love a chance with those big blues.

robmedina
04-23-2016, 04:04 PM
Fished outback in OC. AS I was untying my kayak I saw a group of 5 yakkers about 50 yards out, they were hooking up to bluefish. I had a rough start getting out because of this or that but once I did I headed in the yakkers direction. I noticed they started casting in the direction I was approaching...I thought I may know some but as I got closer none of them would look at me- so I figured what the ehck- I know them throwing lures in my direction is sort of like marking your territory, so I headed north a bit to give them space. I did not catch anything and the bit turned off slightly after I started. The wind picked up to about 15 when it was supposed to be only 10. Got a little rough out there but I actually enjoyed being out there. I should have brought my sail with me and just had fun. I am gonna hit it in the same spot tomorrow and get there an hour earlier. Should hook up...and I am bringing my sail!

finchaser
04-23-2016, 07:17 PM
What's this world coming to violence in a kayak fleet

storminsteve
04-23-2016, 08:19 PM
X2. what the heck was wrong with those guys? I thought kayakers are supposed to be nice to each other and help each other out? sorry to hear that dude thanks for the report

storminsteve
04-23-2016, 08:23 PM
I fished moco this morning. lots of people casting, lots of hype, but the Bluefish were there.
Picked up a handful on poppers and crocodiles. very overcast morning.

Monty
04-23-2016, 08:30 PM
AS I was untying my kayak I saw a group of 5 yakkers about 50 yards out,I noticed they started casting in the direction I was approaching.- so I figured what the ehck- I know them throwing lures in my direction is sort of like marking your territory, so I headed north a bit to give them space.
Good luck on the next trip Rob, its always fun just getting out, heading out myself early am Sunday.

X2. what the heck was wrong with those guys? I thought kayakers are supposed to be nice to each other and help each other out?

These guys look familiar? Its is getting a bit tough out there. Be careful.

I fished moco this morning. lots of people casting, lots of hype, but the Bluefish were there.
Picked up a handful on poppers and crocodiles. very overcast morning.
Congrats on the Blues :HappyWave:

robmedina
04-24-2016, 03:54 AM
thanks Gents! Good going Steve. If I get into them today I am shooting video LOL!

Rip-Plugger
04-24-2016, 09:07 AM
thanks Gents! Good going Steve. If I get into them today I am shooting video LOL!good on shooting some video,have been wondering why I am not seeing any pix of fish,,,I know some of you guys are catching something.

robmedina
04-24-2016, 10:44 AM
as promised. Oh and the camera adds 10lbs in most cases but with me it adds about 50 :)
https://youtu.be/YYJHyX3f9R4 one blue for me today and that was it.

baitstealer
04-24-2016, 12:41 PM
good on shooting some video,have been wondering why I am not seeing any pix of fish,,,I know some of you guys are catching something.

Must be a secret bite somewhere!

baitstealer
04-24-2016, 12:42 PM
So moco this morning oceanside. Birds and bait far out. I got the skunk.

storminsteve
04-24-2016, 12:59 PM
FIshed five places last night, and got blanked in all of them.I did find some dead things, will post later.

hookset
04-24-2016, 01:58 PM
Fished outback in OC. AS I was untying my kayak I saw a group of 5 yakkers about 50 yards out, they were hooking up to bluefish. I had a rough start getting out because of this or that but once I did I headed in the yakkers direction. I noticed they started casting in the direction I was approaching...I thought I may know some but as I got closer none of them would look at me- so I figured what the ehck- I know them throwing lures in my direction is sort of like marking your territory, so I headed north a bit to give them space. I did not catch anything and the bit turned off slightly after I started. The wind picked up to about 15 when it was supposed to be only 10. Got a little rough out there but I actually enjoyed being out there. I should have brought my sail with me and just had fun. I am gonna hit it in the same spot tomorrow and get there an hour earlier. Should hook up...and I am bringing my sail!
that is just wrong. What a bunch of a-holes.

hookset
04-24-2016, 02:00 PM
Must be a secret bite somewhere!
Not so secret if Allen Riley and On the water magazine are doing articles and photo spreads about it.

hookset
04-24-2016, 02:02 PM
3-6 am in da back. 2 bass to 23 lbs on bunker head. Kept the smaller released the 23.

ledhead36
04-26-2016, 11:14 AM
good on shooting some video,have been wondering why I am not seeing any pix of fish,,,I know some of you guys are catching something.

You make a good point about pix, but what you probably don't understand about Jersey we have lost a lot of our fishing spots. if you post a picture of a pier or a bridge there will be a bunch of Internet report Chasers there the next day.
no one wants to work for or find their own fish anymore.
I post here as a favor to dark. otherwise I wouldn't post at all.
good luck to you, and tight lines this season.:HappyWave:

ledhead36
04-26-2016, 11:24 AM
Okay haven't reported in a while because we have been fishing Non-Stop almost every night. the only nights we don't fish it if it's too rainy or windy to see in front of us. myself, I caught 89 bass in the last 2 weeks. 20% of that probably was keeper size. biggest bass so far 27 pounds on Bunker head. kept 5 bass and let the biggest ones go.

I was going to post this because we thought it was over. The blue fish came in and we are just sick of catching these big Gators on bunker. they are even eating clams! oh and if anyone wants pics, dark can confirm we caught these fish we texted them to him.
if anyone still needs to see pix I'll make you a deal.
wish4fish and I will come over and get your Mom drunk and tag team her. after we're done, I will send you the pix.:laugh:

ledhead36
04-26-2016, 11:28 AM
Oh, and a few nights ago we saw a fantastic catch a guy caught a 54 inch striper from the shore. it was the only night recently that we got skunked, because it was the only fish anyone caught that night. there were about 30 people lined up, lots of Bunker, and skunk for all of us except that guy. I would say it was about 53 pounds it was a big fish. Haven't seen one of those from shore in quite some time. I'm surprised he didn't weigh it in at a tackle shop yet but maybe not so I won't talk more about it. no spot burning from us.

ledhead36
04-26-2016, 11:35 AM
3-6 am in da back. 2 bass to 23 lbs on bunker head. Kept the smaller released the 23.
Nice going. We may have bumped into you that night.

baitstealer
04-26-2016, 11:40 AM
Monmouth County ocean 5-7am. Skunk ola, beautiful morning though.

baitstealer
04-26-2016, 11:41 AM
Okay haven't reported in a while because we have been fishing Non-Stop almost every night. the only nights we don't fish it if it's too rainy or windy to see in front of us. myself, I caught 89 bass in the last 2 weeks. 20% of that probably was keeper size. biggest bass so far 27 pounds on Bunker head. kept 5 bass and let the biggest ones go.

I was going to post this because we thought it was over. The blue fish came in and we are just sick of catching these big Gators on bunker. they are even eating clams! oh and if anyone wants pics, dark can confirm we caught these fish we texted them to him.
wish4fish and I will come over and get your Mom drunk and tag team her. after we're done, I will send you the pix.:laugh:
Haha love it! congrats on your catching

baitstealer
04-26-2016, 11:41 AM
Oh, and a few nights ago we saw a fantastic catch a guy caught a 54 inch striper from the shore. it was the only night recently that we got skunked, because it was the only fish anyone caught that night. there were about 30 people lined up, lots of Bunker, and skunk for all of us except that guy. I would say it was about 53 pounds it was a big fish. Haven't seen one of those from shore in quite some time. I'm surprised he didn't weigh it in at a tackle shop yet but maybe not so I won't talk more about it. no spot burning from us.
Wow that's awesome!

hookedonbass
04-26-2016, 11:45 AM
non-stop action on the Blues in the back last night. Some of them were true monsters 38 to 40 inches long. First it was totally dead. Then between 7 and 9 p.m. when it got dark everyone on the beach was catching. poppers and Metal.

bababooey
04-26-2016, 05:49 PM
and if anyone wants pics, dark can confirm we caught these fish we texted them to him.

alrighty then! We have gone from strippers and anglers.com to stripers and milfbangers.com
just one question, led head. I don't need to see any fish pics, but can you please post pics of the Milfs?
and what will you do if they are not hot? Some dudes mom might look like the guy and be really ugly lol.:idea:

cowherder
04-26-2016, 06:01 PM
Omg I love this! hey Baba, aren't you the resident milf hunter here? I remember some time ago you were seeing questionable ladies and buying their panties haha.

buckethead
04-27-2016, 08:34 PM
Gave nomoco a shot this morning, nothing for me.
perhaps I should have moved a little further north.Feels like I'm in no man's land lately with lack of activity. It's just that the bait doesn't come close to the beach like it used to.

J Barbosa
04-28-2016, 02:03 PM
Omg I love this! hey Baba, aren't you the resident milf hunter here? I remember some time ago you were seeing questionable ladies and buying their panties haha.

lmao

J Barbosa
04-28-2016, 02:05 PM
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20198&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20199&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20200&stc=1

Some fish from the past week, surf and boat

storminsteve
04-28-2016, 04:54 PM
lmao
X2!

storminsteve
04-28-2016, 04:55 PM
Moco hi tide lots of blues swimming by. Bunch on plugs.

storminsteve
04-28-2016, 04:56 PM
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20198&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20199&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20200&stc=1

Some fish from the past week, surf and boat
Nice!

SharkHart
04-28-2016, 06:10 PM
Got two weakies last night around 5 to 6 lbers, made about 100 casts to do so. Switched to bass on the outgoing, thought id find schoolies but was actually a fair amount of bass 26 to 30" working the surface, some willing some not. Got 5 with stick and move tactic before the light cracked the sky and the all went quiet.

hookset
04-28-2016, 07:46 PM
Fished flats this afternoon before rain. Decent blues on poppers and Roberts rangers.

hookset
04-28-2016, 07:48 PM
Nice going shark. Weakies on rubber or pluggage? Tks

porgy75
04-28-2016, 08:15 PM
Great job guys. Fished so moco skunk city.

SharkHart
04-28-2016, 09:19 PM
Pink zooms

Rip-Plugger
04-29-2016, 12:58 AM
You make a good point about pix, but what you probably don't understand about Jersey we have lost a lot of our fishing spots. if you post a picture of a pier or a bridge there will be a bunch of Internet report Chasers there the next day.
no one wants to work for or find their own fish anymore.
I post here as a favor to dark. otherwise I wouldn't post at all.
good luck to you, and tight lines this season.:HappyWave:yeah I can dig it,after that you have the phone fishermen that tell when they see a fish roll on top.
glad I am not a part of any of that mess.
I 99% of the time don't even read any fishing reports at all because I know where to find fish at any part of a tide they just have to be willing to hit.
I was just curious as to why I don't see any pix of any fish,,,kinda makes it seem like no ones cacthing any.
ok then,got ya.

baitstealer
04-29-2016, 10:31 AM
Moco from last night into sunrise this morning. Bay was windy so I went further in the back. No dice no fish.

J Barbosa
04-29-2016, 11:56 AM
yeah I can dig it,after that you have the phone fishermen that tell when they see a fish roll on top.
glad I am not a part of any of that mess.
I 99% of the time don't even read any fishing reports at all because I know where to find fish at any part of a tide they just have to be willing to hit.
I was just curious as to why I don't see any pix of any fish,,,kinda makes it seem like no ones cacthing any.
ok then,got ya.

So many guys in NJ wait for others to catch or spend more time on the internet looking for fish then they do on the water.

20# surf bass from Wednesday. Atlantic City boardwalk :d
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20202&stc=1

finchaser
04-29-2016, 05:01 PM
yesterday after noon 3 to 6 pm blues between 12 and 16 pounds on ice cream
This morning 5:30 to 7:30 2, blues in the teens 3 bass 24 to 30 inches and a 7# weakfish all on SP minnow

cowherder
04-29-2016, 11:08 PM
So many guys in NJ wait for others to catch or spend more time on the internet looking for fish then they do on the water.

20# surf bass from Wednesday. Atlantic City boardwalk :d
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20202&stc=1
Very well said sir!
Btw what program did you use to post that fish it almost looks like an albacore with the lines

cowherder
04-29-2016, 11:09 PM
yesterday after noon 3 to 6 pm blues between 12 and 16 pounds on ice cream
This morning 5:30 to 7:30 2, blues in the teens 3 bass 24 to 30 inches and a 7# weakfish all on SP minnow

Haha funny stuff. Last week I got some blues on peas and carrots!

cowherder
04-29-2016, 11:10 PM
Nice catches guys. Was out in nomoco in the rain tonight looking g for stripers. No dice.

hookset
04-30-2016, 12:07 AM
Just got done. Got into some nice blues this afternoon in the back. tried to Parlay that into larger bass, and only two shorts on SPs. a little drizzly out there. Water felt a little cold. Bait guys seemed to be doing pretty well.

hookset
04-30-2016, 12:10 AM
Pink zooms
Thanks. Have gotten them sometimes on mag Darter, and also on a light Bucktail as well. Good to hear there around, I may look for them this week

storminsteve
04-30-2016, 11:42 AM
Congrats on the catches you guys. I went looking for blues before work this morning and couldn't find any. It was like they completely turned off. or on temporary hiatus.

SharkHart
04-30-2016, 12:46 PM
Weakie fever made me convice myself to force it in bad conditions, it was a disaster, 1 lb globs of grass on every cast and dirty water from these constant NE winds, 1 rat bass saved me from the skunk even tough it felt like a skunk

surferman
04-30-2016, 02:33 PM
Better one, than none!

surferman
04-30-2016, 02:35 PM
Incoming tide in Cape May this morning. some friends are getting nice stripers on bunker, but today wasn't my day. Eau de skunk. beautiful morning.

finchaser
04-30-2016, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by finchaser http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?p=92450#post92450) yesterday after noon 3 to 6 pm blues between 12 and 16 pounds on ice cream

Haha funny stuff. Last week I got some blues on peas and carrots!

No the new GT Ice Cream surface lure not a joke. Like the old line stretchers and Roberts ranger only casts further and easier to fish. I rig mine with a split ring and 34007 hook instead of the assist hook

cowherder
05-01-2016, 08:31 AM
Fished moco with high hopes this morning. Figured with the overcast weather would be perfect for at least some blue fish. I'm joining the skunk parade here. Skunk on stripers. Skunk on blue fish.

cowherder
05-01-2016, 08:33 AM
finhaser thank you for posting that. I really thought you were just busting our balls. I'll have to pick some of them up and try them.
according to the promo it says just retrieve them in, is that what you are doing? Thanks

finchaser
05-01-2016, 01:44 PM
Yes cast and retrieve got 4 blues on it this morning works great in choppy water the needle fish shaped one is nothing to write home to mother about
They come in 1 to 4 ounce. I use the 1 1/2 and 2