PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for Jimmy Cousins

DarkSkies
04-27-2016, 06:43 PM
I know folks have seen me talk about him on here from time to time. He is one of the legends of the New Jersey surf fishing world....and also a pretty darn good rod builder as well.

He was working in Giglio's (sea bright) part time for a while.
Recently in addition to the stroke that he had a while ago, he suffered another stroke and has been in the hospital the last week.

Some people who know him have told me it doesn't look good for him. I'm going to keep the optimism alive, and hope for the best.
If you folks could say a prayer or two, it would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone has any current developments, and you know him or are a friend, would appreciate if you could post them up. Thank you so much.

May God, our Lord, watch over him. May he keep him safe in his arms and care.
May he allow Jimmy to recover, and live out his life without pain.
Amen.

buckethead
04-27-2016, 08:36 PM
Jimmy is a good guy, know from a long time back. Thoughts and prayers, did not know he was in the hospital. Thank you for the heads up Rich. And the prayer.

finchaser
04-28-2016, 09:51 AM
Jimmy is still in ICU not coherent and not expected to make it unfortunately :(

J Barbosa
04-28-2016, 02:03 PM
Sorry to hear that. I don't know him but the name sounds very familiar.

hookset
04-28-2016, 07:50 PM
Prayers sent.

baitstealer
04-29-2016, 10:28 AM
T&P

storminsteve
04-30-2016, 11:37 AM
Thoughts and prayers for his recovery.

cowherder
05-01-2016, 08:27 AM
Sorry about your friend DS. prayers sent.

finchaser
05-11-2016, 08:29 PM
Just got a call Jimmy has passed away. The fishing community looses another good one.

RIP Jimmy may you always have calm seas and the wind at your back my old friend

clamchucker
05-12-2016, 05:10 AM
RIP. Sorry for your loss.

lostatsea
05-12-2016, 05:40 AM
Didn't know him, have been following this thread. Prayers sent.

DarkSkies
05-12-2016, 02:06 PM
I identified with Jimmy, because he had his ups and downs.
He could be stubborn at times, and so can I.
He was a flawed man, and so am I.

We are all flawed creatures in the eyes of God. None of us is perfect.

However, God loves us all equally, regardless of skin color, race, origin, or personalities.

RIP Jimmy. You were too young to leave us.
Too young. This shows us all that we should never take our friends, or tomorrow, for granted...
you never know how long we have on this Earth.

...and now...hoping you finally rest in peace...pal....Amen.
please post the funeral/ visitation arrangements as they become available, thank you.

basshunter
05-12-2016, 02:27 PM
t&p, RIP

cowherder
05-12-2016, 03:22 PM
Heard he was a very good surf fisherman. Sorry for your loss.

buckethead
05-12-2016, 03:27 PM
Jimmy was generous to a fault when it came to helping the younger guys. He knew just how to time the tides, and caught a lot of big fish.
I hope you are catching the big one in heaven my friend, rest in peace

baitstealer
05-12-2016, 03:35 PM
Prayers sent.

7deadlyplugs
05-12-2016, 03:53 PM
Condolences t&p.

nitestrikes
05-12-2016, 04:23 PM
Heard of him through the rods he built. Rip

finchaser
05-12-2016, 05:00 PM
Knew Jimmy for over 30 years.

He was 62 on earth day way too young to go

I will let you know arrangements, as I understand they are waiting for his son Devon to come back up from Florida

storminsteve
05-12-2016, 06:05 PM
So sorry to hear the news. I did not know him but read about him in a few threads here and some other places. May he RIP.

bababooey
05-12-2016, 08:41 PM
Posted on his memorial page by one of the ladies at his bank:
My weekly visitor-
Mr. Cousins used to come into the bank where I work about once per week. I looked forward to his visits -- he was always kind, always laughed, an always wished God's blessings. At the same time, he was fiercely independent. To me, a perfect embodiment of the yin and yang. Soft and firm. One of the stories he told me very recently was that more than anything, given his physical state, was fishing ... and what he loved most was teaching the kids at Sandy Hook how to fish, how to make a lure, how to tie a line. He had tears in his eyes when he told me stories about those days. He had lots of other stories -- about his dad, his son, his mom, his fishing buddies, his special chair at the bait shop. He talked fondly about "the cove" and always asked me to joke with one of the guys in my office when he was going to show up. Mr. Cousins -- if you are reading this -- I hope you caught a Real Big Fish. I will miss you.

bababooey
05-12-2016, 08:44 PM
I didn't know him either, sounds like he was a fine man. RIP Mr Cousins. Funeral info posted-

Visitation for Jimmy Cousins will be Sunday, May 15th from 4-7 pm at the Woolley-Boglioli Funeral Home, 10 Morrell Street, Long Branch.

jigfreak
05-13-2016, 08:57 AM
He built some killer rods. RIP Jim.

finchaser
05-13-2016, 05:22 PM
James "Jimmy" Alan Cousins AGE: 63 ?€?
James "Jimmy" Alan Cousins 63, Sea Bright passed away on Thursday May 12, 2016 at Monmouth Medical Center.Jimmy was born in Long Branch and was a lifelong resident of Sea Bright. He graduated Shore Regional High School in 1971.Jimmy owned a painting business and also worked part-time at Giglio's Bait Shop in Sea Bright. He was inducted in the NJ Striped Bass Hall of Fame and was a member of the Asbury Park Fishing Club and the American Littoral Society in Sandy Hook. An avid fisherman, he had a great love for teaching children to fish and crafting his own fishing poles. Jimmy was a loving father and will be deeply missed.He is predeceased by his parents, William "Matty" and Elizabeth Cousins; and his brother, William Cousins. Surviving is his son and daughter-in-law; Devin and Ashley Cousins, St. Augustine, FL. He is also survived by his many friends and neighbors at Normandie Place.Visitation will be Sunday, May 15th from 4-7 pm at the Woolley-Boglioli Funeral Home, 10 Morrell Street, Long Branch. In lieu of flowers, please make a donation in Jimmy's name to the American Littoral Society, www.littoralsociety

fishinmission78
05-15-2016, 03:31 AM
Sorry to hear, t&p

hookedonbass
05-15-2016, 03:22 PM
Rip

DarkSkies
05-16-2016, 09:05 AM
Update.....it was a nice turnout...met his neighbor Joe and a few others. A good showing from the surf community.

Although I may have mentioned something about Jim being a little stubborn at times....in my experience some of the best of the best... have that trait....at least some of the greats that I have gotten to know.

A few of his awards and plaques were on display....the most recent (I think) for a large fish...was a 36....in. a 2003 Fall Tourney....pretty impressive for a Fall Season..

Also a visitor left a Hopkins w/ buck tail siwash on the table of mementos. I thought that was a pretty nice touch and respectful remembrance.

RIP Jim...see you on the other side. Now you are at peace in the house of the Lord, and your suffering is over.
May God, in his benevolence, watch over your family and friends and their lives.
Amen

ledhead36
05-16-2016, 01:41 PM
Nice prayer Rich.
Sometimes I ran into him at the quick check in Highlands late night and a few other spots. Hope he catches the big one in heaven. rip