PDA

View Full Version : RIP Jimmy Morenz

captnemo
05-21-2016, 09:02 AM
From newjersey.com
For the second time this week, there's sad news from a Shore tackle shop. Jimmy Morenz passed away Wednesday after being in failing health for some time. He has been working for years at Julian's Tackle in Atlantic Highlands, and they noted that Morenz was only 55. His father, Capt. Whitey Morenz, ran an old wooden vessel that produced more school stripers and weakfish on worms than any other boat. Despite the lack of speed, Miss Take II also more than held its own with bluefish. After his father died, Jimmy continued the very successful business and was widely regarded as one of the very best skippers in the state. Unfortunately, Jimmy ran into problems with drugs -- and the boat had to be sold. Morenz eventually kicked the drug habit. Though he had lost his license,* he was able to mate for Capt. Pete Wagner on Hyper Striper from Highlands, and work at Julians. In recent years* Morenz also concentrated on using his small boat to net bait in the Shrewsberry and Navesink rivers as well as working in the store -- and no one knew more about those rivers. Though I often talked to Jimmy over the phone while getting reports from Julian's, the last time I saw him was a year ago at the Bahrs Restaurant outdoor bar in Highlands, where he was accompanied by his beloved dog and seemed to be at peace with the negative turns he'd experienced and overcame. There will be a viewing from 6 to 9 p.m. Monday at nearby Shore Funeral Home on Rt. 36. I'll have more information as it becomes available.

basshunter
05-21-2016, 09:07 AM
Thoughts and prayers.

surferman
05-21-2016, 09:38 AM
Rip

bababooey
05-21-2016, 11:38 AM
T&p for the family

storminsteve
05-21-2016, 02:09 PM
rip

finchaser
05-21-2016, 04:13 PM
May he RIP
Al Ristori and I were talking over coffee about this yesterday morning. We were reminiscing about when we fished on his dads boat back in the late 60's and early 70'S. We were on one of his first jig trips and were given samples of the new AVA 47 jig made in long island. Jimmy was just a kid. Very sad

lostatsea
05-22-2016, 08:59 AM
Sorry to hear about the drugs and everything. Seems like he had his life back together and yet he is still gone. Sad story, TnP

VSdreams
05-24-2016, 10:24 AM
Rip

hookset
05-25-2016, 01:08 PM
I remember I heard someone in RB area got busted one night by the coast guard for drugs. I checked the next morning to find out which of the passengers it was and found out it was Captain Jimmy.
Someone put a phone call in and dropped the dime on him. I don't mean to speak ill of the dead, because he paid his dues in life and from what I heard he learned his lesson. Like Captain Al says, we all deserve a second chance in life. He got his and seemed to be doing well. Saw him a few times at Julian's and he seemed to be on the straight and narrow. Always shared some good stories. RIP Jimmy and tight lines in heaven.