PDA

View Full Version : NJ Fishing Reports for June 2016

DarkSkies
06-01-2016, 07:12 AM
NJ Fishing Reports for June 2016 - www. StripersAndAnglers.com

Short and sweet......

1. Post your fishing reports here.....
2. Be as specific as ya want....but remember the*limited access....If you don't enjoy fishing next to 40 friends at night in a 400 foot section of beach,"think"before ya post.....

3.Location
Out front....
out back.....
or the county...

further details on the first page of any past S&A monthly fishing reports.

4.Moderation...
I rarely have time to moderate these threads.
If something needs to be addressed,and you are a contributing member.....please PM me or send an e-mail via the report post button.

**Thanks for your cooperation and for being such a great group!

DarkSkies
06-01-2016, 07:34 AM
June Fishing and Early Summer Recap......

A popular subject right now is the colder and dirty water in some places, and how it has negatively affected the fishing. While that may be true, the patterns that bring this weather, can be beneficial in certain times in certain areas.

For example, bass migration is bait dependent and water-temperature dependent. Once the water temperatures get too high, they naturally slip out of an area for cooler water. The abundant bait can sometimes keep them in an area for weeks longer than they (usually) stay, for that time of year. This happened in the Hudson River in Fall 2015. Bunker schooled up thick in certain areas, and fishermen who paid attention, had weeks of unprecedented fishing.

These bunker are both a blessing and a curse. They seem to concentrate all the fish in one area, around them.

As Finchaser and others have often pointed out......They also tend to suck all the biggest fish out of an area like a vacuum when they move to another area.

We have all heard about report chasers and the futility of doing that.
Some good fishermen I know, have become "bunker chasers". By that I mean they move from area to area, as the bunker move. You can't learn this stuff from the internet or facebook. You have to have an intuitive sense of bunker movements, how they feed, and how and where they tend to move subject to wind and weather patterns.

Few of us can do this, and can spend a lot of time fishing when it's good. It's just not practical for many folks. As some others have pointed out, the fishing seems very spotty this year. If you are not in the middle of the biggest action areas, the pickings seem slim. There are many areas that are just not holding fish. A Capt in the middle of the bunker schools, who targets them as they move, is not going to see that with clarity because they have abandoned fishing many other areas.

In summary, IMO it is about perspective and the time you can put into it.
I have put in a tremendous amount of time fishing this year so far, and actively travelling (4 states thus far) to try to find the highest concentrations of fish, on their migration. Most are not able or willing to do this, and as a result, unless you live near an inlet or river system area, is that many experience spotty fishing.

**Also, most importantly....I am seeing a notable lack of quality fish, in many areas I have stopped at to fish and scout.....these are ALL places which should hold fish....and what I am seeing....is that many are not.

Where weather and temperature ties in to this, in my experience, is that so far this year, the water temperatures seem abnormally lower and more variable, according to my logs. This variability has helped to keep the predators in areas for much longer than they have stayed, in some past years.

That's all I have time for today, will try to post more as I can...
These are just my experiences and observations. Hope I have given you folks some things to think about.....:HappyWave:

In the meantime........
Good luck to all the people out there....:HappyWave:
Remember that Family comes first before fishing...:fishing:
Be careful when you are fishing with lack of sleep...:scared:
And always try to be aware of your surroundings, especially at night and with moon tides.....:learn:

seamonkey
06-01-2016, 09:55 AM
Thanks for sharing. Always appreciate the analysis. Seems like you do put a lot of time in.
Fished CM on Monday. The usual suspects were around. Dogfish and skates on clams and bunker.

VSdreams
06-01-2016, 10:12 AM
Moco yesterday after work. Bunch of angry blues on poppers, lost a couple of them too.

fishrich
06-01-2016, 11:11 PM
Three of us fished incoming tide and part of dropping tide in OC. Very slow pick of blues on bucktails and metal. Good conditions and saw a few schools of small bait.

lostatsea
06-02-2016, 11:12 AM
Mco in the back 6-7 outgoing tide. Was looking for big blues or stripers. Water was very weedy and there was a lot of things that didnt work. Finished with a few cocktails on smack it poppers.

fishinmission78
06-02-2016, 12:45 PM
Been doing ok in the park around sunrise. usually a quick bite, then it's over.Blues and bass up to 36 inches. Poppers and metal. the bright sun usually kills everything. Good luck fellas.

baitstealer
06-02-2016, 01:25 PM
thanks for the honesty. If you read some of the fishing reports out there you would think they were killing them Non-Stop.

plugcrazy
06-02-2016, 03:25 PM
Nice going, especially on the stripers. I ran into cocktail B
blues this morning bayside using metal. seems like the big ones have moved out of casting range. love to catch a few of them before they leave.

cowherder
06-02-2016, 08:19 PM
Me too I was jonesing to catch a bunch of blues today, but they were just not there. Hit up moco on the beach side. Kind of windy with the noreast thing going on. Thought that would stir up the fishing a bit. Fished the first 2 hours of the outgoing, 6-8pm. Tossed the bag they would not hit it. Finally got a decent blue about 8lbs on an ava, one of the things I had that could get out with the wind that was pushing onshore. Then I was rejuvenated and tried some more but that was it for me.

cowherder
06-02-2016, 08:21 PM
Moco yesterday after work. Bunch of angry blues on poppers, lost a couple of them too.

Lucky dog!

storminsteve
06-03-2016, 11:29 PM
Moco into the evening. Little bit of a swell, but pleasant conditions.
1 blue about 8 lbs on the SP. I would have tried my flucking gear but it was almost dark when I started. probably switching over to fluke this weekend as some nice ones have been caught close to the beach. Good luck guys

lostatsea
06-04-2016, 12:43 PM
mo co for 4 hours this morning from 7 a.m. till 11. Skunkaroo. didn't see anyone else around me catch either.Going to the windmill to get some burgers and cheese fries and will try to push back out this afternoon because it's getting close to low tide.

cowherder
06-04-2016, 12:49 PM
I did a little better than that but not by much. A flurry of cocktail blues today in nomoco. Poppers and metal, lasted about a half hour and it was over. where are the big blue fish?

cowherder
06-04-2016, 12:50 PM
Hey I just realized you mentioned going to the windmill for burgers and cheese fries. They have great hot dogs too. One of my favorite places.

porgy75
06-04-2016, 01:02 PM
A lot of you guys say find the bunker and you'll find the fish. Well yesterday I found lots of bunker but no stripers. fished a few beaches in somoco from 5 to 8 p.m. There were a few whales around. Watching it was spectacular they were up so close. Threw everything I had to try to see if there was a striper among them -and no takers.

buckethead
06-04-2016, 02:11 PM
Doing my usual walk all this week. Things are very slow for me. No fish. Seeing a lot of bunker offshore.

buckethead
06-04-2016, 02:14 PM
Porgy, what you guys need to understand is that there are nowhere near the amount of fish compared to the amount of bunker. We saved the bunker and forgot to concentrate on the bass. Also, with the beach replenishment a lot of migrators avoid the beaches now.
With less fish and an offshore migration it is very common to see miles and miles of bunker with nothing on them.

lostatsea
06-05-2016, 05:56 AM
Well said thanks for the explanation

lostatsea
06-05-2016, 05:58 AM
Somoco 5-8 pm near an inlet. 2 flatties on white gilp mullet. One was a keeper 18 1/2 inches.

cowherder
06-06-2016, 05:47 PM
Boy was it dead out there this morning or what! fished moco for a few hours before work, skunkaroo.

cowherder
06-06-2016, 05:48 PM
nice going on the fluke, guys.

hookedonbass
06-07-2016, 11:15 AM
There are some big fluke around gents they are catching door mats already! I can't wait to hear someone catching a 12 or 14 pounder because I think they are really out there.

hookset
06-07-2016, 03:07 PM
right before sunset last night in the back. Yep you're right that waters getting really hot. Picked away at a few small blues on small poppers. No stripes

storminsteve
06-07-2016, 09:41 PM
I got some cocktails tonight as well, but they were so small to make me want to come in and pound down a few cocktails of the liquid kind LOL. In the front right before dark. there were also pretty big splashes way too far to cast to about a half-mile out.

storminsteve
06-07-2016, 09:43 PM
Oh and this post specifically directed at Monte. I did not find any dead things. BUT at least I tried instead of crabbing about it!:HappyWave:

bababooey
06-08-2016, 10:15 AM
There are some big fluke around gents they are catching door mats already! I can't wait to hear someone catching a 12 or 14 pounder because I think they are really out there.

It seems like they always get the biggest ones up in Raritan Bay at first. They reported 8 and 9 pounders yesterday.

Monty
06-08-2016, 10:52 AM
Oh and this post specifically directed at Monte. I did not find any dead things. BUT at least I tried instead of crabbing about it!:HappyWave:

Blah, blah, blah. Congrats on you cocktails.

storminsteve
06-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Blah blah?
You're driving all way to montauk or wherever just to catch a few bluefish? Hardly any stripers. We had the best blue fish action on the east coast right here new jersey about 2 weeks ago. AND you can catch fluke in jersey everytime out plus some big ones. From the surf. Blah blah to that! You are one strange bird.:HappyWave:

bababooey
06-08-2016, 11:04 AM
X2. Nj has the biggest stripers now as well. Monster seabass, tog (out of season though). Also fat fluke. Why go anywhere else?

bababooey
06-08-2016, 11:06 AM
Just curious how come you guys haven't found any dead things lately? I really enjoy that thread and seeing what you come up with. Are you all in a dead things slump?:laugh:

surferman
06-08-2016, 11:24 AM
Lmao.Maybe the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence? Jmo

Monty
06-08-2016, 11:36 AM
Just curious how come you guys haven't found any dead things lately? I really enjoy that thread and seeing what you come up with. Are you all in a dead things slump?:laugh:

Major slump.
Lots of dead things skunks lately.
Need to breakout with a dead whale or something weird.
Sorminsteve, fluke?:kooky:

captnemo
06-08-2016, 11:37 AM
I know boat fish don't count, but got into some nice stripers yesterday about 2 miles off of long branch. Livelining worked the best. 4 stripers to 33#, kept a 20 pounder for the table. Hope they come in closer for you shore guys.

Monty
06-08-2016, 11:37 AM
Lmao.Maybe the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence? Jmo

Actually across the Hudson River it is greener.

ledhead36
06-08-2016, 11:58 AM
"across the hudson". Man I feel sorry for you you're missing out on a whole lot of prime reelestate.

ledhead36
06-08-2016, 12:05 PM
Still catching strippers in the dirty water. Sometimes only 1 but they are keepers, and fat. Pre sunrise, bunker heads.

cowherder
06-08-2016, 12:07 PM
I hope that was just a typo. Strippers in dirty water? please tell me your using protection!

cowherder
06-08-2016, 12:08 PM
Fished moco last night lots of spearing around. Some small blues on metal before dark.

cowherder
06-08-2016, 12:10 PM
Major slump.
Lots of dead things skunks lately.
Need to breakout with a dead whale or something weird.
Sorminsteve, fluke?:kooky:

I'm in a dead things slump as well, maybe we need some nor easters?

lostatsea
06-08-2016, 12:12 PM
I hope that was just a typo. Strippers in dirty water? please tell me your using protection!

Lmao

porgy75
06-08-2016, 12:20 PM
Lol

Monty
06-08-2016, 01:29 PM
Blah blah?
You're driving all way to montauk or wherever just to catch a few bluefish?

Trips now are not that far yet, same distance for me to fish jersey, tolls are more....factor of 10. I enjoy the blues too, bass will come later.
Montauk trips a little later this year.

"across the hudson". Man I feel sorry for you you're missing out on a whole lot of prime reelestate.

Still catching strippers in the dirty water. Sometimes only 1 but they are keepers, and fat.

We each like/prefer/appreciate different things.
You obviously like your strippers plump and find them easier in NJ.
Its different in LI, especially the regulation/laws about keeping strippers.:HappyWave:

wish4fish
06-08-2016, 01:47 PM
hey wats wrong w fat women r u one of those stuck up guys? more cushin for the pushin thats wat i say! and i think he meant stripers not strippers. Its all good different strokes!

wish4fish
06-08-2016, 01:49 PM
and what kind of strippers do u keep in lawnguyland lol?

Monty
06-08-2016, 05:15 PM
and what kind of strippers do u keep in lawnguyland lol?

Long island doesn't let you keep strippers.
You jersey guys get to keep 2 or 3 stripers and your strippers.
Your regulations are out of control.

J Barbosa
06-08-2016, 05:28 PM
Did a quick day troll on a friends boat this Saturday and we landed five yellowfin with four of them being in the 40-60# class.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20304&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20305&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20306&stc=1

J Barbosa
06-08-2016, 05:38 PM
Fished out front yesterday with Zoran between Sandy Hook and Shark River. Miles and miles of bunker schools 20-30' thick. We caught stripers with the smallest being 26lbs and the biggest 38lbs. Spoons were the hot lure yesterday with no love for the mojos.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20307&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20308&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20309&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20310&stc=1

seamonkey
06-08-2016, 10:45 PM
wow, awesome tuna. Awesome striped bass! you really seem to be on them! Question do you ever get skunked?

lostatsea
06-10-2016, 08:30 AM
JB nice fish especially the yellowfin. Looks like lots of nice tuna steaks.

lostatsea
06-10-2016, 08:32 AM
Moco from 6-9 thur. The winds were blowing hard at your back great for casting. I fished a pencil popper for 1 1/2 hours and then some big wood. There were fish busting on bunker too far out to reach. Looked like some of the kayakers were getting into them. Nothing for me. Good luck this weekend guys.

basshunter
06-10-2016, 08:50 AM
Fished island beach yesterday late afternoon. There wasn't much going on. Occasional blue taken on bunker. The guys there said bunker was getting most of the fish. I got one blue about 6pounds on metal. It seemed most of the fish may have moved on? Will try further north next time.

basshunter
06-10-2016, 08:51 AM
Oh and thanks for sharing those tuna pics. The colors in them make the heads look fantastic.

surferman
06-10-2016, 09:10 AM
:bigeyes:way to go on the tuna! Isn't it a little early for them this year?

finchaser
06-10-2016, 09:36 AM
did the boat thing this morning 2 of us had 16 bass to 41 pounds all released 6 on live bunker on circle hooks and 10 on poppers

hookset
06-10-2016, 10:30 AM
Nice going fellas. Was out and about yesterday. Up and down the beach. Managed to raise one striper on a popper. Swing and miss and she did not come back. Sucks to be me.

cowherder
06-10-2016, 10:35 AM
nomoco 5to 7:15 am. Close to low tide but still some good water out there. Got a few cocktail blues to 6pounds on the SP.

J Barbosa
06-10-2016, 12:31 PM
wow, awesome tuna. Awesome striped bass! you really seem to be on them! Question do you ever get skunked?

Since April 1st I've been skunked three times total, one on a friend's boat and two from surf.

:bigeyes:way to go on the tuna! Isn't it a little early for them this year?

They seem right on time. Same boat had 18/21 yellowfin a week earlier last year (I wasn't on that trip :( lol)

did the boat thing this morning 2 of us had 16 bass to 41 pounds all released 6 on live bunker on circle hooks and 10 on poppers

Nice, best days of the week to fish always seem to be Monday - Thursday. lol

J Barbosa
06-10-2016, 12:36 PM
Beats getting skunked.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20314&stc=1

buckethead
06-10-2016, 07:39 PM
Good job jb and finchaser. Fished my usual area this morning. Started out a little earlier at 3 a.m.because sunrise was near low tide.
Two shorts in the dark, bucktail and grub.
there are a lot of rain fish and hickory shad that have moved in. Subtle hint for the fly fishermen and teaser guys.

buckethead
06-11-2016, 05:20 PM
Nice job jb. Did my usual walk pre dawn in the surf. No fish but there is now a lot of small bait...spearing, rain fish, baby peanut bunker, and some small blue fish chasing them in the mix.

hookset
06-12-2016, 08:28 AM
12 to 5 am ocean county. Few short stripers on bucktails.

hookset
06-12-2016, 08:29 AM
agreed on the small bait. It is all over the place.

fishinmission78
06-12-2016, 08:39 AM
X2. Got a decent amount of blues yesterday in the park. Smaller to larger. Feeding on rainfish and peanuts. Good until the S wind came up. All on small poppers.

plugcrazy
06-12-2016, 08:58 AM
Moco yesterday fished all day before it got too windy. Like you guys, I saw a lot of bait and I did see some blow ups, but they were way too far out to cast to. Ended up with one blue on a popper about 6 pounds. And no I did not find that blue fish on Facebook - I went out and earned it!

buckethead
06-13-2016, 01:18 PM
Started out my fishing in the dark this morning because sunrise and later the water would have been too low. Picked up one short bass on bucktail and redgill sandeel teaser. Conditions were pretty tough. Forecast northwest but at times it was more nort,h not great for fishing. Should be better by Wednesday as the winds diminish. as before, lots of little bit in the wash.

J Barbosa
06-13-2016, 03:29 PM
Fished this past Saturday looking for stripers. We made a long run out front but just couldn't compete with all the boat traffic. Switched over to fluke inside the bay and again couldn't believe the amount of boats out all fishing on top of each other (small weather window this weekend). We managed two keeper fluke before the wind picked up and we packed it in.

Late report from the prior week: 8 keeper sea bass along with a few dozen throw backs, a nice sized winter flounder and a 35" striper. Crabbing seems like its off to a slow start this year...about half a dozen keepers all mixed sizes.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20316&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20317&stc=1

cowherder
06-13-2016, 04:34 PM
Moco yesterday end of day. Way too windy got the skunk, that is all.

cowherder
06-13-2016, 04:35 PM
Jb can you please do us all a favor and stop posting all those colorful pictures. Black and white maybe would be good? everytime I see one of your catch pictures I want to go out for a seafood dinner LOL! you sure do know how to make a guys stomach hungry.
hope you know I'm just kidding, congrats and thanks for sharing.:HappyWave:

J Barbosa
06-13-2016, 06:12 PM
Jb can you please do us all a favor and stop posting all those colorful pictures. Black and white maybe would be good? everytime I see one of your catch pictures I want to go out for a seafood dinner LOL! you sure do know how to make a guys stomach hungry.
hope you know I'm just kidding, congrats and thanks for sharing.:HappyWave:

Have to spice things up every once in a while. I hear Finchaser can cook...?

The credit for the tuna headshot photo goes to Craig he takes amazing pictures.

hookedonbass
06-14-2016, 05:31 PM
somoco from 6 to8a. Looking for bass or blues or something to bend the line. Nada. where did all the stripers and blues go?

hookedonbass
06-14-2016, 05:32 PM
jb love your reports. They are the things I look forward to when I get skunked and come home and try to figure out how everybody else did.

fishinmission78
06-14-2016, 05:41 PM
a few small blues this morning on Metals, that's all she wrote.

fishinmission78
06-14-2016, 05:42 PM
X2 on jbs reports. Thanks for sharing.

plugcrazy
06-14-2016, 08:13 PM
Finally got some fish! Out this afternoon in moco and got some gator blues. They were chasing small bait and would not hit my plugs. Ended up getting them on a bucktail with a white worm.

plugcrazy
06-14-2016, 08:14 PM
Fished this past Saturday looking for stripers. We made a long run out front but just couldn't compete with all the boat traffic. Switched over to fluke inside the bay and again couldn't believe the amount of boats out all fishing on top of each other (small weather window this weekend). We managed two keeper fluke before the wind picked up and we packed it in.

Late report from the prior week: 8 keeper sea bass along with a few dozen throw backs, a nice sized winter flounder and a 35" striper. Crabbing seems like its off to a slow start this year...about half a dozen keepers all mixed sizes.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20316&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20317&stc=1

Those pics made me hungry as well keep em coming!

cowherder
06-15-2016, 08:08 AM
Good to see some of the big blue fish came back! I worked a few beaches in monmouth county yesterday from 5 to 7. managed four blues to 11 pounds on pencil popper. There was no signs of activity I didn't think they were there until they hit. You really had to work for them.

Monty
06-15-2016, 12:33 PM
Good to see some of the big blue fish came back! I worked a few beaches in monmouth county yesterday from 5 to 7. managed four blues to 11 pounds on pencil popper. There was no signs of activity I didn't think they were there until they hit. You really had to work for them.

Nice catch, they are fun.

jigfreak
06-16-2016, 08:20 PM
Oc in the back last night. Small bait all over. Noseeums too. Skunk for me.

jigfreak
06-16-2016, 08:20 PM
Nice fish jb

ledhead36
06-17-2016, 11:43 AM
Still catching one or two stripers in morning or evening trip in the Hudson. All on bunker heads. in the last week we got invaded with dogfish. They are all over. I can tell you one thing they are definitely not endangered.

hookedonbass
06-17-2016, 05:31 PM
Fished Monmouth County rite at sunrise today and caught one short bass on a popper. Then i got one blue fish and missed one blue fish and then everything stopped. I was so glad to see a striper because I haven't got one in a long time so yay for me.

baitstealer
06-19-2016, 07:52 PM
I went to seaside for Father's Day. been hearing about a good striper bite from Betty and nicks. Had a teaser on. I had heard about sandeels too. Nailed two cocktail blues, and a few hickory shad. Maybe the stripers have moved on?

baitstealer
06-19-2016, 07:54 PM
Fished Monmouth County rite at sunrise today and caught one short bass on a popper. Then i got one blue fish and missed one blue fish and then everything stopped. I was so glad to see a striper because I haven't got one in a long time so yay for me.
nice going on the striper.

J Barbosa
06-19-2016, 09:44 PM
Went fishing this morning with Jorge and my dad (thanks for getting me hooked on fishing as a kid). Tough conditions all morning without a drift but we kept picking away at the fluke ending up with thirteen keepers just two short of our limit. I'm confident we would have limited today if we didn't have to leave early due to prior commitments. Our three biggest fish of the day were all around 7-8lbs but what has me excited for the 2016 fluke season is how big our average size fish was...not much measuring needed today.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20318&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20319&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20320&stc=1

cowherder
06-20-2016, 12:21 AM
Wtg on the fluke!
i fished oceanside moco from 6 to 8 tonight on the incoming tide.
1 5lb bluefish on a popper
I was so happy to catch that blue. Slim pickens.

cowherder
06-20-2016, 12:22 AM
And I hope all you Dads out there had a happy Father's Day, I did.they gave me some peace and quiet and let me go fish after dinner.

plugcrazy
06-20-2016, 12:27 AM
skunked out Island beach this morning.
Great job on those fluke JB they look tasty.

cowherder
06-21-2016, 11:06 PM
Moco for fluke tonight 6-8 with bucktail and green gulp mullet. lots of bait in the water, picked up 10 fluke, which one being a keeper.

J Barbosa
06-22-2016, 12:44 PM
Fished last night with Rui and Ken. Found the bait out front but never really got over a solid concentration of fish. Worked it until dark to around the 3-mile line and there was a large fleet of boats about another 1-2 miles East of us who hammered the fish (ohh the power of hindsight - maybe we should have gone fluke fishing 4-5 miles out with live bunker?). We switched over to plan B which was chunking after dark. In a span of less than three hours we landed 12 bass total to 20# and about 3-5 dozen dogfish which caused us to run out of bait. All mixed sizes on the bass from a few shorts, to a few just keepers and a couple of decent teen size fish and a 20# bass that popped my leader boatside trying to lip him (dam you dogfish for fraying up my leader all night!). We kept two bass and released the rest. Rui managed to catch a 12" porgy on a bunker head. Can't wait for those tasty things to come into season.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20326&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20327&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20328&stc=1

hookset
06-23-2016, 05:21 AM
5 dozen dogfish that's a lot. They can be a real nuisance. I wish someone would start a campaign to keep the smooth ones, not the protected spiny ones. We need to find a way to keep their population in check. great story with the porgy eating the bunker. I would have thought its mouth was too small. A 12 inch porgy is a very respectable size, nice going on the hard work.

hookset
06-23-2016, 05:24 AM
Rocky area of moco. It had been a while since I put korkers on so I decided to give it a try right before dark yesterday. A few short stripers on the SP. They were at the furthest end of my cast

plugcrazy
06-23-2016, 06:32 AM
Good job guys. It's encouraging to hear there are still some stripes and blues around.Will try to get out this weekend after the beachgoers go home for the day.

VSdreams
06-23-2016, 11:07 AM
A few bluefish before dark on poppers last night in the ocean. That was it. One of these days I'm going to get lucky and a 30 pound striped bass will jump out of nowhere and crash my popper. Until then I'll keep hoping for the big one.

ledhead36
06-23-2016, 10:34 PM
Been jumping around from the front to the back depending upon the weather and wind. Lots of blue fish in the back to8 pounds if you know where to find the highest bait concentrations. Also spearing, rainfish and hordes of peanuts. Millions of tiny fluke, and it seems like millions of dogfish and skates as well. Some nice stripers on the big bunker come by but they keep moving too much to get a bead on them.if you want stripers fish four to 6 a.m. if you want blues end of day is better. any other time on the beach and you're just jerking your gherkin. good luck fellas.

storminsteve
06-23-2016, 10:41 PM
Nice work dude you and dark and ripplugger definitely put in your time. Moco tonight got the goose egg. Oh well that's fishing.

J Barbosa
06-25-2016, 10:19 AM
5 dozen dogfish that's a lot. They can be a real nuisance. I wish someone would start a campaign to keep the smooth ones, not the protected spiny ones. We need to find a way to keep their population in check. great story with the porgy eating the bunker. I would have thought its mouth was too small. A 12 inch porgy is a very respectable size, nice going on the hard work.

They do have tiny mouths talk about being very lucky on that one. It was hooked in the mouth not even snagged or anything. I think a school of fish may have been picking at the bait and that one just choose the wrong spot to pick at.

J Barbosa
06-25-2016, 10:20 AM
Been jumping around from the front to the back depending upon the weather and wind. Lots of blue fish in the back to8 pounds if you know where to find the highest bait concentrations. Also spearing, rainfish and hordes of peanuts. Millions of tiny fluke, and it seems like millions of dogfish and skates as well. Some nice stripers on the big bunker come by but they keep moving too much to get a bead on them.if you want stripers fish four to 6 a.m. if you want blues end of day is better. any other time on the beach and you're just jerking your gherkin. good luck fellas.

basically describes the back bay right now. Peanuts everywhere along with spearing and some adult bunker throughout. Can't forget the millions of jellyfish either

J Barbosa
06-25-2016, 10:25 AM
Went fishing yesterday after work with Rui and Mike (Blaze420). After fueling up the boat and netting bunker we got to the fishing grounds around 7:30pm. The plan was to strictly bass fish but we had the perfect drift conditions to fluke fish the area I wanted (which never ever ever happens) so we decided to try it until sundown. We landed five keeper fluke in that last hour before sunset. Really didn't feel like picking through dogfish all night so I tried a different spot from Tuesday and it paid off! Quality over quantity with 7 bass total. 38#, 36#, #32, #26, #23 and two teen sized fish all released expect one of the smaller teen fish who wasn't going to make it. Congrats to Michael Pfeiffer on the 38# and I'm glad we each got a 30# class fish.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20331&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20332&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20333&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20334&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20335&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20336&stc=1

storminsteve
06-25-2016, 10:42 AM
Have to start calling you the fish whisperer JB! Awesome report and catches! Way to go blazing as well!

storminsteve
06-25-2016, 10:46 AM
Fished moco 5-7 skunk Need some barbossa skunk repellent next time

J Barbosa
06-25-2016, 10:50 AM
Fished moco 5-7 skunk Need some barbossa skunk repellent next time

I use bunker...it's pretty good at repelling skunks. I definitely made Blaze into a believer yesterday.

ledhead36
06-26-2016, 12:08 PM
X2 all about the bunker. nice job, JB and crew and blazing420.

ledhead36
06-26-2016, 12:12 PM
basically describes the back bay right now. Peanuts everywhere along with spearing and some adult bunker throughout. Can't forget the millions of jellyfish either

totally agree. Forget about those half-dollar sized jellyfish that everyone is afraid of. The big jellyfish, the man of wars, are everywhere. I used to fish in shorts every night in the summer and now wear waders. also the crop of peanut bunkers this year is just amazing. I think we will have a great fall if this keeps up.

plugcrazy
06-27-2016, 09:50 AM
Fantastic catches guys! JB you are really tearing it up! looks like putting a lot of time in. Has it shifted to a better bite at night now or are you still catching them in the daytime?

plugcrazy
06-27-2016, 09:52 AM
BTW I fish three places in moco yesterday after the people went home and walked some public beaches exedera. Lots of weeds. skunk odor on me when I left.

surferman
06-27-2016, 09:55 AM
Always love your reports and stories J Barbosa. Very inspirational and also Inspire hunger in my belly lol. Congrats on your PB blazing those are beautiful stripers and fluke.

buckethead
06-27-2016, 12:54 PM
x2 good job jb.

buckethead
06-27-2016, 12:56 PM
Somoco this morning right around sunrise. Good conditions with the south wind was a little strong. water felt a little cold as well. I did see some small bait around, but was not able to catch anything.

seamonkey
06-27-2016, 02:30 PM
nice work gents
Maybe Johnny bucktails should give some of you guys a call and maybe he can get a word of advice about being a true Sportsman.

Blazin420
06-28-2016, 09:36 AM
Thanks guys I was so siked to land that fish it was a great time on JBs boat!! The stars finally aligned and I made it out....Hope to hit the sand soon..With the Lil man this season has been a bust for me...Maybe get back on JBs boat for some fluke limits soon..Guy is 1 of the best fisherman I no!!

hookedonbass
06-29-2016, 07:16 AM
Good job fellas.

hookedonbass
06-29-2016, 07:20 AM
Tried a little bit near an inlet in somoco last night. The water wasn't that bad but then the rains came and for me the weeds was a problem too. Maybe trying a different tide might help?

clamchucker
06-29-2016, 07:23 AM
When you have weeds the tide stages can definitely be different. especially when you are fishing around inlets. Usually for me the weeds can be worse on the outgoing tide. So try the incoming tide next time and see if that makes a difference. Also whether you fish north or south of a particular inlet can make a difference because the currents that bring those weeds in and out are sometimes different in those spots. Good luck, hope this helps.

J Barbosa
06-29-2016, 04:10 PM
It's that time of year.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20339&stc=1

J Barbosa
06-29-2016, 04:11 PM
My favorite sushi roll...yellowfin tuna caught on Monday, avocado, cream cheese wrapped in rice and nori.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20340&stc=1

cowherder
06-29-2016, 06:06 PM
Mmmmmmm making me hungry! nice job on the sushi and crabs.so let's get this straight, in addition to being a tuna master and a striper and flukemaster now you're a Sushi Master too!

buckethead
06-30-2016, 11:17 AM
Another serving of skunk for me this morning. Somoco from 4 to 6 a.m. Great conditions beautiful water small bait around. Nothing despite my best efforts. May go back to trying the red gill teasers the next time with all this small bait around.

buckethead
06-30-2016, 11:17 AM
Forgot to add, great job jb I always enjoy your reports and pics, well done.

seamonkey
06-30-2016, 02:12 PM
when I am not catching or working too much to fish, I look to these reports for some enjoyment and encouragement that at least someone is catching.
jb great reports thanks for sharing.
bh if you are not catching I am bummed out because your reports have been pretty consistant.

buckethead
07-02-2016, 09:28 AM
Tried to see if I can get something going yesterday on the incoming tide late afternoon. Thought I would shift things up a little bit. fish my usual area after the tourists had left, and managed two short stripers on bucktail and red gill teaser. The wind had shifted slightly East and there was a little bit of a chop to the water. good luck out there this weekend folks I'm off from fishing until Tuesday.