PDA

View Full Version : nj fishing reports for august 2016

cowherder
08-01-2016, 11:58 PM
Dark are you on vacation? Didnt see a report thread yet so here goes.:HappyWave:

cowherder
08-02-2016, 12:01 AM
Fished moco tonight the weeds were there but the water wasn't really that dirty. Some rays cruising. Other than that very slow night. Few short fluke.

J Barbosa
08-02-2016, 10:42 AM
Dark are you on vacation? Didnt see a report thread yet so here goes.:HappyWave:

He's slacking big time. I vote to vote him off the island. All in favor say...........?

J Barbosa
08-02-2016, 10:48 AM
Fished Saturday with Rui Goncalves and Ken Stark. Scouted a different area for this weekends tournament. Didn't really find anything promising. We caught 10 keeper fluke and a handful of shorts. We would of had our sea bass limit if I didn't keep releasing the 13" ones looking for bigger ones (**MY BAD**LOL). Rain came earlier than expected and made for a wet ride back to the marina.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20422&stc=1

hookedonbass
08-02-2016, 01:41 PM
He's slacking big time. I vote to vote him off the island. All in favor say...........?

haha make him walk the plank! Just kidding DS

hookedonbass
08-02-2016, 01:43 PM
Good job on the fluke. Was out this weekend- only some short fluke and robins.

ledhead36
08-03-2016, 02:56 PM
I say make him sleep in a porta john for a few hours, lol. Seriously though, I talked to him a while ago and he's been busy. Rev Rich what a contradiction.:d

ledhead36
08-03-2016, 02:58 PM
Be careful if you fish the back of the Raritan Bay, high fecal bacteria count. I'm fishing 1 river over so it's not that much of an issue for me-

The Lower Raritan Watershed Partnership, NY/NJ Baykeeper and Raritan Riverkeeper Bill Schultz were out on the Raritan River / Raritan Bay yesterday (8/1/2016) to capture water samples for pathogens testing after all the rain.

We just got the test results back: All sites in South Amboy and Perth Amboy came back positive for bacteria.

The Perth Amboy sites were off the charts. To be considered swimmable the test must come back at 35 MPN/100mls or less.

Rt. 35 Bridge was 3,448 MPN/100MLS

The 2nd Street and the Yacht Club sites were each in the 400s.

We had much better/safer results during the drought! Please stay out of the waters!

ledhead36
08-03-2016, 03:00 PM
Still fishing the dirty waters of the Hudson.
Still catching bass to 36 inches. Bunker heads at night, not too many dogfish but some big ones too. at least we don't have to worry about big rays where we are.

jigfreak
08-04-2016, 05:10 PM
Searching the back sedges looking for some decent size weakies middle of the night.
So far only a few small ones, and a few small blues. Getting them on rubber, rattle traps, and small redfins. It's a relatively slow pick. more bait back there than anything else.

buckethead
08-05-2016, 10:02 AM
Caught a couple in the mornings this week. The north-east pattern turned up the sand and the mole crabs a bit, so fish are feeding in the wash in low light hours. Stripers up to 27 inches. Some fish are feeding on the crabs and other bait.

fishinmission78
08-06-2016, 04:00 PM
Heads up folks they are finally opening the closed ibsp access points on Monday August 8th. Hoorah.

fishinmission78
08-06-2016, 04:00 PM
nice going BH.

storminsteve
08-07-2016, 10:33 AM

yeah no Slackers allowed here! get with the program DS, you been holding out on us?

storminsteve
08-07-2016, 10:37 AM
Seems like bucket is the only one fishing in good and bad times. Good for you man you are an inspiration! I have been catching a lot of small fluke, the latest being yesterday afternoon. Conditions were beautiful for bass and blues blitzing, but Ive only seen fluke and sea robbins and some small snapper activity.. maybe we need another storm to turn things up a bit. I think it would also help us to find more dead things on the beach as well.

surferman
08-07-2016, 10:43 AM
you should be happy that you're just catching fluke and sea robins. Come to Cape May and you will get a dogfish or skate on every cast when you are using bait as well. 1 good thing is that kingfish have shown up . My buddies have been out catching them. I'm going to try later this afternoon.

Blazin420
08-08-2016, 10:27 PM
Super late report but been chasing a crawling baby past few days lol..: FINALLY snuck away to get some beach action in this past Wednesday night.Didn't have high hopes after I heard the conditions but had the night free from the little guy so went anyway...Glad I did!!! Fishes from 830 till 12am...Outgoing was the ticket..Landed 7 bass up to w5in dropped 2..1 of which peeled some drag but threw the hook in the wash after a jump...Felt FANTASTIC to get a bend in the rod even better that they were the striped kind..Nothing better than some august bass action..Always manage to find a few this month no matter how hot it gets..every year..Fish were all juiced up making some good jumps...Even managed a double header hit a teaser BT combo others hit a 4in Mag and a mambo minnow...most in the 18 to 24in range...
I'd post pics but my phone takes pics to big..

J Barbosa
08-09-2016, 10:37 AM
Super late report but been chasing a crawling baby past few days lol..: FINALLY snuck away to get some beach action in this past Wednesday night.Didn't have high hopes after I heard the conditions but had the night free from the little guy so went anyway...Glad I did!!! Fishes from 830 till 12am...Outgoing was the ticket..Landed 7 bass up to w5in dropped 2..1 of which peeled some drag but threw the hook in the wash after a jump...Felt FANTASTIC to get a bend in the rod even better that they were the striped kind..Nothing better than some august bass action..Always manage to find a few this month no matter how hot it gets..every year..Fish were all juiced up making some good jumps...Even managed a double header hit a teaser BT combo others hit a 4in Mag and a mambo minnow...most in the 18 to 24in range...
I'd post pics but my phone takes pics to big..

Better late than never...I keep looking for a yellow jeep but never find it :HappyWave:

J Barbosa
08-09-2016, 10:39 AM
Porgy slaughter on Sunday with Hardy Wiedemann and Bill Burneyko. 3 man limit of 150 porgies by 10:30am. We spent the next couple of hours drifting in the ocean for a single keeper fluke and an unlimited amount of sea robins.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20430&stc=1

J Barbosa
08-09-2016, 10:40 AM
Fished the Leonardo Fluke Masters tournament with Rui Goncalves and Roman Mielec. Action was really hard to come by and fishing felt a lot slower than what we have been experiencing recently with a lack of short fish. We ended up with a decent box of keepers just needed that one bigger fish to make it worth weighing in.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20431&stc=1

J Barbosa
08-15-2016, 11:46 AM
More HOT porgy fishing on Saturday. 1st stop where we limited last week sucked *** only 6 keepers in the first hour. Reset the anchor twice thinking I just wasn't on the right piece of structure but it didn't help. Picked up the anchor and drove around but didn't mark as many fish as I wanted too so I decided to make a move. Next stop we had huge schools of porgies under the boat for hours anywhere from 10-15' thick but not much size to them (most were 8-10" with the shorts outnumbering keepers 4-1). Good luck trying to let that sinker hit the bottom! We were bringing up two and even three fish at a time. We got our 3 man porgy limit along with 3 triggerfish and a decent fluke. Made two stops on our way home and found a bigger size class of porgies for the next time out if we decide to target them. Did I mention it was hot out?
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20432&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20433&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20434&stc=1

cowherder
08-15-2016, 04:56 PM
three at a time, man you are the porgy king! nice job thanks for sharing.

cowherder
08-15-2016, 04:58 PM
hey JB, did you see this? More rocks for more porgies!
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?10374-Sandy-Hook-Reef-Deployment

fishinmission78
08-16-2016, 12:38 PM
fantastic catching jb, way to go.

fishinmission78
08-16-2016, 12:41 PM
it's been so hot at Island beach lately, and with all the flys I haven't been going regularly. Did catch one keeper fluke before the weekend down by the inlet on the incoming tide with gulp.
was out yesterday morning from 6 to 7:30 a.m. before work. Picked up a few small blues and spanish mackerel on ava 007. FYI

buckethead
08-17-2016, 12:19 PM
yes I feel the same way about the heat. The only consolation is that between 4 and 7 in the morning it is at least 15 degrees cooler.
have been fishing the incoming tide this week, only a few small stripers. The activity that I was seeing seems to have dropped off a little. good luck gents

finchaser
08-18-2016, 06:09 PM
More HOT porgy fishing on Saturday. 1st stop where we limited last week sucked *** only 6 keepers in the first hour. Reset the anchor twice thinking I just wasn't on the right piece of structure but it didn't help. Picked up the anchor and drove around but didn't mark as many fish as I wanted too so I decided to make a move. Next stop we had huge schools of porgies under the boat for hours anywhere from 10-15' thick but not much size to them (most were 8-10" with the shorts outnumbering keepers 4-1). Good luck trying to let that sinker hit the bottom! We were bringing up two and even three fish at a time. We got our 3 man porgy limit along with 3 triggerfish and a decent fluke. Made two stops on our way home and found a bigger size class of porgies for the next time out if we decide to target them. Did I mention it was hot out?
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20432&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20433&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20434&stc=1

You'll be joining up with Johnny Buck and Derrick soon :huh::HappyWave:as a true NJ meat man

jigfreak
08-18-2016, 10:15 PM
You must be joking calling JB the meat man. comparing him to Johnny bucktails or Captain Derek is a travesty. bucktails will never have any credibility again I don't care how many widows and orphans and babies he kisses. and Captain Derek is the biggest Raper of the sea to come down the pike up in that Raritan Bay area.
jmo of course

jigfreak
08-18-2016, 10:18 PM
Heads up we have some southern species hitting our shores gents.
Managed some spanish mackerel this afternoon , small metals in the surf. OC, near an inlet. catch em up.

finchaser
08-19-2016, 08:14 AM
You must be joking calling JB the meat man. comparing him to Johnny bucktails or Captain Derek is a travesty. bucktails will never have any credibility again I don't care how many widows and orphans and babies he kisses. and Captain Derek is the biggest Raper of the sea to come down the pike up in that Raritan Bay area.
jmo of course

Of coarse I am he's a friend of mine all in fun

fishinmission78
08-22-2016, 03:55 PM
ok, back to the fishing reports. I caught a white marlin in the
surf at island beach this morning. Seriously no I didn't but there are lots of chicken dolphin here and if you throw metal often enough at the end of day or early morning you will get them. good luck gents.

finchaser
08-22-2016, 05:36 PM
Mudhole loaded with false Albacore
15# Mahi speared in Man inlet

J Barbosa
08-23-2016, 08:53 AM
Mudhole loaded with false Albacore
15# Mahi speared in Man inlet

Had a tiny Mahi swim under the boat one mile off Sandy Hook on Sunday.

He was gone before I could tie on a small bucktail.

seamonkey
08-23-2016, 06:00 PM
Mahi on the beach! You guys are so lucky. This is the warmest water I can remember in a long time.

ledhead36
08-23-2016, 06:19 PM
Sorry I haven't reported in a while. Still catching stripers in the Hudson. Bunker heads and chunks. Occasional big blue fish, but not too many. More stripers than anything else. They are down deep.