PDA

View Full Version : NJ Fishing reports for Oct 2016

clamchucker
09-30-2016, 11:23 AM
Re: mullet. Yes I have seen them as well. Really good numbers this year. hopefully they will stay around a little later than they usually do.

hookset
09-30-2016, 12:28 PM
Nice work, guys. Jig looks like you timed it just right. I can only imagine things declining after matthew. Good on you for putting in your time, congrats.

seamonkey
09-30-2016, 03:22 PM
Fall run in full effect. Eff hurricane matt! Good luck out their gents.

surferman
09-30-2016, 04:15 PM
Nice! Congrats

jigfreak
09-30-2016, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the kind words, fellas. I have been out for them a few times and struck out each time. That day I was determined and the activity had increased so I took the day off from work. Sometimes you just get lucky. I'm hoping they will stick around too.

hookset
10-01-2016, 09:30 AM
1st October bass. Picked up a handful of schoolies last night to 28 inches. Tide was really high and it was windy. Found a place to hide from the wind out back. Mullet all over. Picked them up on the outgoing. Bucktail and pork. Still swimming.

hookset
10-01-2016, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the kind words, fellas. I have been out for them a few times and struck out each time. That day I was determined and the activity had increased so I took the day off from work. Sometimes you just get lucky. I'm hoping they will stick around too.

Yeah I was hoping the same thing so I got out there last night just in case they didn't stick around. There are still a lot a mullet in the back. Even with all the ones leaving, from what I saw it was loaded.

fishinmission78
10-02-2016, 07:31 AM
Nice going hook. Also got into some bass activity last night about an hour before high tide. They were in the back in OC feeding on mullet pushing them around sporadically. Bomber windcheater did the trick. Got 2 of them to 27 inches, Missed a few others. Fat football like fish.

buckethead
10-04-2016, 10:27 AM
The water has gotten cleaner and the fish are definitely around. Fished the last few days, with today being the best at sunrise in moco. 3 this morning, clean and fresh with sea lice. One each sun and Monday AM. Buck tail and pork.

buckethead
10-07-2016, 10:15 AM
Fishing is getting better. Have shifted to pre-dawn because of the low tide around sunrise. You have to pick your areas because of the sand bars. Managed 7 yesterday, 4 today. All short but feisty and hard hitting in moco. Buck tail and pork. They are hitting pretty aggressively. All fresh with sea lice.

storminsteve
10-07-2016, 12:19 PM
Awesome report bucket thanks for sharing. You fish a lot more than me, if anyone deserves to catch you do!

storminsteve
10-07-2016, 12:24 PM
Late report. Fished four times this week after work, OC to MC. Different places all ocean side. The rough surf made it tough. Was throwing heavy poppers and some metal too. Got a few small blues on the metal, and stripers up to 27" on the popper. Totally random. Skunked twice, caught fish twice. You got to be in it to win it gents! :plastered:

surferman
10-07-2016, 12:31 PM
Nice action dudes! All I been catching for the last 2 weeks is small coctail blues. Can't wait till the strippers show up, should be soon.

hookset
10-07-2016, 02:01 PM
Way to get out there and put the time in guys. Seems like everyone else is scared of a little rough surf.out yesterday afternoon and like was said I probably missed it because of the low tide. Fished the afternoon before that and pulled one short striper from the wash on the yellow SP. Moco

storminsteve
10-08-2016, 09:43 AM
thank you for the updated info. Wtg on the catches.Went out last night to monco, got two small stripers on black mag darter. Missed a few more. No rhyme or reason, lots of casting for those two. conditions were beautiful tho, perfect fall night.

Blazin420
10-08-2016, 02:20 PM
Nice reports gents...I haven't been out much so not many reports from me...I did go about 2 weeks ago picked up 1 off some rocks about 24in..FINALLY getting out tonight..and from I've been hearing it's like what Steve is saying no rhyme or reason to the bite..It'll be great just to back on that sand in the darkness!!! I'll let ya no if I find a few...Thanks as always to you guys reporting..

jigfreak
10-09-2016, 06:44 AM
Hey thats what its all about on this site, just trying to help. Some bass around last night. Picked up a few in moco. White bass assassin on jig head. All shorts, fun times.

SharkHart
10-09-2016, 10:25 PM
I got a rat friday night ;) I expected to see much more bait but was a lot of dead water, seems that storm week ago flushed any mullet that were left in river front was rough

Blazin420
10-10-2016, 12:07 PM
Well nothing for me Sat night other than a soaked *** lol!! Felt good being out there..Tried 4 different spots nada..Sam a good pool filled with bait in the back but no fish other than the nice sized fluke I saw picking off some bait..Cook to see..fished 9pm till 230am....May have a small shot to get out tomorrow afternoon with my dad..as long as grandma is cool with watching the Lil guy (should be a problem LOL)..Pops hasn't surf fished in a while so it will be nice to get out with him..I got a setup all ready for him

cowherder
10-11-2016, 10:33 AM
Fishing is getting better. Have shifted to pre-dawn because of the low tide around sunrise. You have to pick your areas because of the sand bars. Managed 7 yesterday, 4 today. All short but feisty and hard hitting in moco. Buck tail and pork. They are hitting pretty aggressively. All fresh with sea lice.

You really seem to have the hot hand. congrats on all that time you are putting in, and thanks for the updates

cowherder
10-11-2016, 10:36 AM
Well nothing for me Sat night other than a soaked *** lol!! Felt good being out there..Tried 4 different spots nada..Sam a good pool filled with bait in the back but no fish other than the nice sized fluke I saw picking off some bait..Cook to see..fished 9pm till 230am....May have a small shot to get out tomorrow afternoon with my dad..as long as grandma is cool with watching the Lil guy (should be a problem LOL)..Pops hasn't surf fished in a while so it will be nice to get out with him..I got a setup all ready for him

Same for me last night I fished 5 to 8 p.m. . Tried 3 different Primo pieces of surf. Only found stripers at the last one where there were another 11 guys fishing. Among us there were only two stripers caught, and not by me. I am hearing of fish around, so it seems like either there are dribs and drabs of stripers or they are coming through in waves. If you are not out there every day you're not going to catch. That really sucks, I wish I had more time to do this. Fall run is sort of sputtering along, and nowhere near the way it has been in the past. My .02

fishinmission78
10-11-2016, 10:46 AM
Random for me as well. Got a 27 incher this morn before work on white ss popper in rough OC surf. Not another hit or miss.

J Barbosa
10-11-2016, 04:57 PM
Fished Friday night into Saturday morning targeting stripers. We landed 1 bass around 30" and missed two others.

It was slow so we switched over to porgy fishing which was the plan.

Good average size to them for NJ waters getting our 150 fish limit while only keeping the ones over 10". We also had 5 weakfish, two small ones and three bigger ones around the 20-22" mark.

Large variety of species on this trip: Blowfish, Bluefish, Blackfish, Sea Bass, Sea Robin, Striped bass, Weakfish, Porgy, Bergal, dogfish

All that was missing for NJ's Grand Slam was an Albie...didn't want to go fight the Saturday morning morons who want to run over breaking fish. Almost considered it but just too tired and of course since we didn't go I heard it was epic! lol

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20529&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20530&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20531&stc=1

fishrich
10-11-2016, 10:09 PM
Two of us fished OC noon till dark. Caught lots of small blues on mullet. Tried plugging 5:30 till dark but neither of us had a hit. Did not see any bait today. The ocean settled down and cleaned up quite a bit during the day.

buckethead
10-12-2016, 08:38 AM
I 2nd that. The ocean cleaned up real well. Still some white water, but much cleaner. Fished mc this a.m. and only managed one small striper on bucktail. Very spotty fall so far.

buckethead
10-12-2016, 08:39 AM
Jbarbosa very nice job.

baitstealer
10-12-2016, 10:29 AM
Yeah awesome catching Barbosa you should start your own good service! Kind of surprised to see you only got one striper though.you always slay them! why do you think it hasn't heated up yet?

baitstealer
10-12-2016, 10:31 AM
mocco from 5 to 6a today. Raised one fish on a pencil popper and that was it. Either striper or blue I'm not sure. After that nothing.
I really would like to see more strippers around.

fishrich
10-12-2016, 10:18 PM
Two of us fished OC noon till 6:30pm. Same results as yesterday. Caught a lot of small blues on mullet but no hits on metal or plugs. Was surprised to see so much turbulance in the water when we got there. Waves were breaking over the outer bar and rolling in with a lot of force. The water came up pretty high today and covered more than half of the beach at the top of the incoming tide. Water clarity was still good.

buckethead
10-13-2016, 08:32 AM
Did a little better this morning. 3 bass all short, but fat. They are filling up on the small bait in the surf zone. Am back to using a redgill and Bucktail combo. 2 hit the redgill the other one hit the bucktail.
Water is still clean, though there is a big pronounced swell of rough surf

J Barbosa
10-13-2016, 01:18 PM
Yeah awesome catching Barbosa you should start your own good service! Kind of surprised to see you only got one striper though.you always slay them! why do you think it hasn't heated up yet?

No clue but I think some more fish may be hitting us any day now. I always seem to do better out of the surf this time of year as that is where the bait is. No confidence here on my part drifting an eel around all night :(

Will try to anchor up and chunk over the weekend if the weather is nice...trying to hit up the surf tonight.

J Barbosa
10-13-2016, 01:21 PM
King Salmon on the fly rod are an absolute blast.
Also got my first steelhead on a fly rod (released - need to get pictures from friend's phone).

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20532&stc=1http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20533&stc=1

SharkHart
10-13-2016, 08:24 PM
do they actually bite or are most guys doing the snagging thing

buckethead
10-14-2016, 09:16 AM
Still picking away at the stripers. Two more this a.m. Before sunrise. Both short and fat with sea lice. Bucktail and red gill.

J Barbosa
10-14-2016, 03:59 PM
do they actually bite or are most guys doing the snagging thing

They definitely bite although it can be frustrating seeing 20 fish in front of you and not getting any to bite.

Day 1 I had only two hits. The guy to my left using a single egg on a #4 hook with 8# fluro got 30+ hookups.

Day 2 I downsized my leader to 12# and went to a single egg fly on a #2 hook and had probably 25-30 hook ups if not more while other guys around struggled.

J Barbosa
10-14-2016, 04:00 PM
Out last night cruising the surf line and found two short bass. Somebody pass the sunscreen that moon was bright!
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20534&stc=1

J Barbosa
10-14-2016, 04:01 PM
Steelhead from Monday, notice my friend struggling to pull his king on the beach behind me.

Great photo bomb IMO.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20535&stc=1

jigfreak
10-15-2016, 12:20 AM
Ya moon was very bright, tonight too. still was pretty decent action, lots of small bait around. East of the parkway, managed four stripers to 15 pounds. All released. White bass assassin and jig head.

jigfreak
10-15-2016, 12:23 AM
Jb you are all over the planet catching fish. Next report I expect will be coming from Patagonia rofl. nice job and good work.

hookset
10-15-2016, 02:46 PM
Moco pre sunrise with 20 other guys in a picket line. I got one short on a shad. Saw about three others caught that's all she wrote. Perfect conditions.

hookset
10-15-2016, 02:48 PM
What jig said. Jb you are like that guy Jeremy the angler who goes for river monsters. All over the globe. Nice job.

jigfreak
10-16-2016, 01:19 PM
Well I guess you can't catch quality fish two nights in a row. Went out last night similar conditions, Good water lots of bait. Narrowly avoided the skunk with one dink.

storminsteve
10-17-2016, 06:18 AM
Nice going fellas, you got to be in it to win it! Fished a few times in the last few weeks but got a lot of skunks. Out in Moco last night, finally connected with two Short stripers on storm shad. Have been hearing of some bigger stripers but mostly from the boats. Will keep trying because the weather is great and the fish should be showing up more regularly. good luck everyone.

surferman
10-17-2016, 06:28 AM
I went out on Sunday and got one short on clams in Cape May so maybe things are getting traction.

surferman
10-17-2016, 06:29 AM
What jig said. Jb you are like that guy Jeremy the angler who goes for river monsters. All over the globe. Nice job.

Haha x2 nice job!

cowherder
10-17-2016, 03:32 PM
Good going gents. got a 27 incher yesterday right before sundown on a popper. Moco

seamonkey
10-17-2016, 03:50 PM
Nice!

captnemo
10-18-2016, 01:06 AM
A heads up for you guys that there are a lot of bass offshore at the 3 mile line. I am talking stripers between 25 and 45 pounds. We ran bunker spoons today out of Belmar. there were a lot of bunker and bass right near the line. Some of the charter boats were actually over the line. Made me sick to see it. We managed four stripers to 37 pounds, all released. I hope they come in for you guys we'll have to wait and see.

J Barbosa
10-18-2016, 12:15 PM
Finally seeing some bigger yellowfin in our local canyons plus a wahoo. Lots of Mahi but most were too small to even bother keeping. Caught a extra large triggerfish on a pot which was nice.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20539&stc=1

surfrob
10-18-2016, 12:44 PM
"slippery bass" as my father in law used to say, are in the back:

fishrich
10-18-2016, 10:01 PM
Two of us fished OC noon till 6pm. Very slow day. One short bass and one bluefish saved us from the skunk. Wind blew hard south all day. Water had gone almost up to the dunes at the 10am high tide before we got there.

VSdreams
10-19-2016, 06:47 AM
"slippery bass" as my father in law used to say, are in the back:

Nice going, did you get them on greenies or white leggers?

VSdreams
10-19-2016, 06:53 AM
Moco last night from 6 to 9. a blitz came through with small bluefish crashing peanut bunkers. Got one on a popper but they were moving so quick and I didn't feel like running down the beach. Right at sunset I got a nice hit on yellow colored SP, but it got off after a few secs. At least it was something. Will try to fish again this week. Thanks for the reports guys. You are giving me hope.

ledhead36
10-19-2016, 09:11 AM
Been fishing the striper spawning river dirty water. Me and the crew have been catching from 1 to 5 stripers a night from 28 - 34 inches. All seem to be cookie-cutter in size along with a few shorts. there is so much bait around it is crazy. We are using bunker chunks and peanut bunk. Catch em up they are out there if you want to spend time looking and fishing.

hookedonbass
10-19-2016, 10:34 AM
Nice going gents. Worked a sandy beach in monco last night. the south winds were pretty tough as described. I gave up after an hour.No hits runs or errors.

baitstealer
10-19-2016, 05:31 PM
Finally seeing some bigger yellowfin in our local canyons plus a wahoo. Lots of Mahi but most were too small to even bother keeping. Caught a extra large triggerfish on a pot which was nice.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20539&stc=1

You really do get around dude! Are you fishing out of Fort Lauderdale now? Just asking b/c that boat says Florida. Nice catches anyway way to go.

baitstealer
10-19-2016, 05:34 PM
So moco from 3:30 to 5:30 just left the beach. Slight wind, beautiful surf, just one blue on a popper for me. There was some birds diving and possibly fish breaking but waaaaaaay too far to cast to. Did see some boats clustered up. Again too far out to see anything and I didn't have binocs. They must have been getting them good because it seemed like a tight cluster.

cowherder
10-19-2016, 10:15 PM
yeah that is becoming the gripe of the New Jersey surfcaster. "I saw fish busting but they were just a little far out of casting range!" I have had that same frustration many times. Telling yourself if you only had a kayak or a boat you would be crushing them!

cowherder
10-19-2016, 10:21 PM
Started out today in Ocean County. Got off work early and was on the beach by 4pm. Only managed one blue that hit a smack it topwater. Then decided to move to the next county north. between sunset and the half-hour after, I picked up two short very fat stripers to 27 inches.
On bucktail hopping along the bottom. Too bad there were not more fish, but I had fun anyway.

storminsteve
10-20-2016, 02:53 PM
Good job guys. Has been very spotty for me this fall so far. Slim pickings. with family and kids my nights out are limited. Fished 3x this week, managed a few stripers two nights ago. Then, the night after that, nothing.This morning fished 5-7, one short. All on rubber shads.

VSdreams
10-20-2016, 03:48 PM
At least some of you are catching, congrats. Was out 2 times in the last two weeks and skunked out each time. must be my timing LOL. I know I should probably try to go fishing more. Will keep at it, looking for my first New Jersey keeper striper for the fall run.

DarkSkies
10-21-2016, 08:58 AM
Fishing Reports for October 2016 - www. StripersAndAnglers.com

Short and sweet......

1. Post your fishing reports here.....
2. Be as specific as ya want....but remember the*limited access....If you don't enjoy fishing next to 40 friends at night in a 400 foot section of beach,"think"before ya post.....

3.Location
Out front....
out back.....
or the county...

further details on the first page of any past S&A monthly fishing reports.

4.Moderation...
I rarely have time to moderate these threads.
If something needs to be addressed,and you are a contributing member.....please PM me or send an e-mail via the report post button.

**Thanks for your cooperation and for being such a great group!

DarkSkies
10-21-2016, 09:21 AM
^ VS, getting out there as much as you can is the key. Keep a fishing log, and follow it religiously. Be flexible and adaptive enough to modify your tactics when conditions change. A good log will help you make those decisions and see trends. However it's up to you to see the trends and be willing to change as conditions change around you.
Good to hear you are trying. Now is the time to be out there trying, no matter what the reports say. The more you put yourself in potentially good water, the better your chances are. A fishing log will be invaluable to teach you these lessons. They are ones you can't learn on the Internet.

As you learn, it's a thrilling sense of achievement when your thoughts and strategies lead you to success. Sometimes it's just dumb luck. We all are happy when that happens. However, by keeping a good fishing log, recognizing patterns, and adapting, you have greater control over your own destiny. I will continue to post some reports and insight in the night tides thread. A little behind on that now, but stay tuned and I'll be posting again shortly. In sum, I have had some decent nights in the last 2 months, and some terrible nights. Consistently smaller fish, bass, and blues, and a huge disappointment that larger blues haven't shown up like they have been doing, end of Sept. Still, being out there gives you a better chance of catching, than being at home. Good luck, people. :thumbsup:

hookset
10-21-2016, 12:19 PM
He's back! For better or for worse lol. Just busting stones DS good to see you posting again. Def agree about putting your time in, there's no substitute for time on the water.

hookset
10-21-2016, 12:21 PM
In the back last night, incoming tide. There were some peanuts gathered up in a shallow area near a marina. Picked up a few shorties on a SW rattletrap. Couldn't get them to hit anything else they were so focused on the peanuts.

jigfreak
10-21-2016, 12:33 PM
I found lots of bait in the back as well. Same tide incoming. Where I was it was a lot of rain fish and spearing. Tough to hook up for me though. Frustrating. Finally managed one 28" on the nose, released. Pink finS did the trick.

buckethead
10-21-2016, 01:20 PM
At least some of you are catching, congrats. Was out 2 times in the last two weeks and skunked out each time. must be my timing LOL. I know I should probably try to go fishing more. Will keep at it, looking for my first New Jersey keeper striper for the fall run.

Keep it up. We who catch are usually out every day. You don't always hear about the skunks so we may appear to be better fishermen than we are. Don't get discouraged, put your time in, and your luck should improve. Mornings have been better for me. As the Fall run progresses the first light bite should transition to a sunrise to first 2 hours in the morning bite. Try to think about that and fish top water if you see feeding fish. Otherwise try low and slow like bucktails or metal, which usually are successful for me.

buckethead
10-21-2016, 01:22 PM
He's back! For better or for worse lol. Just busting stones DS good to see you posting again. Def agree about putting your time in, there's no substitute for time on the water.

Agree with hook. good to see you back in the mix Rich was starting to get worried about you. It has been way too long. You are always welcome in my area if you can drag yourself away from work at that time, Tight lines my friend.

buckethead
10-21-2016, 01:26 PM
Fished my usual area this morning pre sunrise. Water was pretty low, close to low tide. That's probably why I got the skunk, Didn't see any bait in the surf. Just one of those mornings. Water was building with a gradual NE swell. Still clean and fishable. I imagine the NE pattern coming in this weekend will shut things down for awhile with big surf and dirty water. We shall have to see.

cowherder
10-21-2016, 03:48 PM
thanks for the up-to-date Intel guys. I am hoping that the water stays clean for at least the next 24 hours. Getting ready to head out now. Will keep you posted. Good luck guys

cowherder
10-21-2016, 03:49 PM
and mr. dark, great to have you back again. Really missed your Slice of Life crusty observations LOL.;)

surferman
10-21-2016, 05:36 PM
I think this weekend will be better for surfing than stripering but will attempt a little of both.

vpass
10-22-2016, 11:27 AM
Hi everyone, :HappyWave: Finally got out yesterday first time this year. I was out front tons of peanuts and too many hickories. I seen no predator fish except hickories caught Fished from 6 to 10am. incoming. It was great being by the water with Rod in hand.:d

basshunter
10-22-2016, 01:03 PM
vpass haven't seen you posted a long time.
you're the guy who does a lotta fly fishing rlght? nice to see your post again. Good luck for the fall.

basshunter
10-22-2016, 01:05 PM
I fished Ocean County this morning above Island Beach. Walked the few beaches from 5 a.m. until 8. heard they were getting a lot of fish there but I didn't run into any. I did try pretty hard, casting bucktails,diamond jigs, and a few poppers. I did raise what seemed like a blue, but he turned away and did not come back. May try again tomorrow if it's not too windy because the wind was definitely building up today.

fishinmission78
10-22-2016, 01:12 PM
Try clams. Fished the incoming last night IBSP for a few hours. One short, and one 29 incher brought home for dinner. I would say they are around, but not in large numbers. You really just have to be out there when they're passing by. They are crushing them 2-3 miles offshore. Big fish.

buckethead
10-22-2016, 03:02 PM
Hi everyone, :HappyWave: Finally got out yesterday first time this year. I was out front tons of peanuts and too many hickories. I seen no predator fish except hickories caught Fished from 6 to 10am. incoming. It was great being by the water with Rod in hand.:d

Good to see you back. I have been doing okay working the bottom with different metal and mostly bucktails. This time of year the bite should be on fire. It has been hit and miss for me though. Shifting to a pre sunrise focus has helped me a little.Good luck.

hookset
10-22-2016, 04:35 PM
Blast from the pass vpass! Great to see you posting again, man.
Fishing report, I drove the roads between Ocean County and Monmouth County today back and forth, between the rain. Actually the surf isn't that bad at this point because the wind has been knocking it down. I found some weedy areas, but a lot of clean water as well. Unfortunately no real fish. Managed two short stripers and a few cocktails on a popper. Water is definitely fishable and I will probably be out again tonight.

jigfreak
10-24-2016, 10:10 AM
Fished hard last two nights in a row. Saturday night was pretty rough with the heavy winds. Big old skunk. Last night I did better, moving around to a few spots. Found a lot of small bait, so I downsized the offerings. Picked up 8 bass alternating between mag darters and rubber at each place. Nicer size fish, six of them were keepers to 16 pounds. All released. Catch em up fellas.

seamonkey
10-24-2016, 11:28 AM
Awesome! All in the middle of the night if I could ask? Nothing at daybreak? thanks

cowherder
10-25-2016, 09:56 AM
Nice going jig freak. You definitely put in your time that's for sure.

cowherder
10-25-2016, 09:59 AM
Perfect water yesterday in the p.m., Maybe it was a little too flat in moco. Small plugs, and bucktails. Only managed a few hickory shad on the small plug and dropped what might have been a striper on the buck tail. That was it. Lots of bait around, hoping 4 some white water soon.

jigfreak
10-26-2016, 08:22 AM
Thanks, there is a lot of hard work and gas money burned behind those fish. and a lot of times I get blanked, just can't find any real numbers no matter how hard I try.

jigfreak
10-26-2016, 08:25 AM
A bunch of places last night. It was tough. Lots of bait around but not too many fish. Finally managed two shorts on rubber in the back.

storminsteve
10-26-2016, 10:02 AM
Awesome jig you really have been doing pretty well. And no sense of self-righteousness like some of the other internet tools reports I read elsewhere. You are the master of rubber, thanks for sharing unselfishly.

storminsteve
10-26-2016, 10:07 AM
Finally lucked into some fish. 6 to 10 p.m. yesterday. moco. Landed a baker's dozen of bass. One keeper 35 inches, released. Rest were all small babies 14 to 20 inches. missed a few others as well. Fun night out there to make up for the skunks I've been getting lately.

bababooey
10-26-2016, 01:07 PM
Wanted to pass the information along to you guys on this fall striper run in full effect. I got a bunch of new business companies with hardly any time to fish. Buds of mine are crushing them every day that they can get out. Mojos are good bunker spoons also, picking up some nice 30 pounders. Lots of fish from 2-3 miles. Be careful if you guys go out Coasties are patrolling. there are also a bunch of fish about 10 miles out too. It seems like guys are organizing teams to go out and catch, and having 1 boat in closer to give the warning. Doesn't seem like a level playing field, and that's all I'm going to say about that.

hookedonbass
10-26-2016, 10:24 PM
Heard some good action near Island beach from the chatter on Betty and Nick's. Tried to put myself in the middle of it all today by fishing Seaside from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. I saw so much activity, rainfishes, blue's, shad, albacore, whales breeching.it was like National Geographic but without the stripers! I gave it a good try and the best I could do was cocktails on a crocodile. Sure did look fishy, glad to hear some of you guys are getting them good, congrats.

SharkHart
10-26-2016, 10:54 PM
Heard some good action near Island beach from the chatter on Betty and Nick's. Tried to put myself in the middle of it all today by fishing Seaside from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. I saw so much activity, rainfishes, blue's, shad, albacore, whales breeching.it was like National Geographic but without the stripers! I gave it a good try and the best I could do was cocktails on a crocodile. Sure did look fishy, glad to hear some of you guys are getting them good, congrats.

That Pepe guy hypes bites for the shop Ive seen him do it many times, One day i knew for sure when i was at SS the bass were in for about 4 mins and most didnt even catch and he called it in as all out blitz

vpass
10-27-2016, 01:38 AM
Got out again from 5 to 8pm got 2 bass dropped 1 all cookie cutter 26 inches on a yellow Pencil Popper Bass were busting on Peanuts. Fish stopped as soon as it got dark. didn't stay to see if they started hitting again. Many fish caught saw only 1 keeper. NoMoCo

vpass
10-27-2016, 01:43 AM
vpass haven't seen you posted a long time.
you're the guy who does a lotta fly fishing rlght? nice to see your post again. Good luck for the fall.

Hay Basshunter, good to see you guys are still at it. Good luck to you also.

vpass
10-27-2016, 01:49 AM
Good to see you back. I have been doing okay working the bottom with different metal and mostly bucktails. This time of year the bite should be on fire. It has been hit and miss for me though. Shifting to a pre sunrise focus has helped me a little.Good luck.

glad to see you are still actively fishing. I'm not so prepared this year, only fished the surf 1 last year. I got out 3 times so far this year.

plugcrazy
10-27-2016, 10:21 AM
Nice going VP great to see you back. Missed your reports. I was catching all small fish, and mostly skunks until yesterday so you never know I guess you just gotta keep hope alive.

plugcrazy
10-27-2016, 10:25 AM
Pretty good trip yesterday to the ocean in mon co. Sorry I havent reported for a while guys it's been mostly skunk city for me. I did pretty good with a yellow popper between 4 and 8 p.m. Like vpass said bite died around sunset, nothing much after that for me. there was a lot of bait around and I just kept blind casting. All of a sudden things are on as the bait got pushed in by bigger fish. It was mostly stripers for me and two other guys. Two were shorts, but I got 4 more between 30 and 34 inches. All released for you guys to catch.

seamonkey
10-27-2016, 11:12 AM
Awesome! It seems like you dudes in Ocean and Monmouth County really get most of the beginning striper action. Thanks for throwing them back and saving some for us, tight lines and good luck.

buckethead
10-28-2016, 10:07 AM
My usual stretch of beach this morning before sunrise. Nw winds pretty steady. Managed two short bass. I'm back to using the bucktail and redgill because of all the rainfish around. Today these bass hit that redgill.

Monty
10-28-2016, 12:59 PM
Finally lucked into some fish. 6 to 10 p.m. yesterday. moco. Landed a baker's dozen of bass. One keeper 35 inches, released. Rest were all small babies 14 to 20 inches. missed a few others as well. Fun night out there to make up for the skunks I've been getting lately.

Congrats on the trip, nice action.

fishinmission78
10-29-2016, 09:38 AM
Some friends have been doing well at night in the park, so decided to join them. Fished 8 to midnight, moving water outgoing. The activity came in spurts, but it was decent. I got 14 my buddy got a few more. We each kept one. It was 39 inches and fat. Yellow SPs.

fishinmission78
10-29-2016, 09:42 AM
My usual stretch of beach this morning before sunrise. Nw winds pretty steady. Managed two short bass. I'm back to using the bucktail and redgill because of all the rainfish around. Today these bass hit that redgill.

I was out yesterday afternoon scouting some spots, and rain fish we're all over. In some areas the surf was dark with them.

baitstealer
10-29-2016, 09:57 AM
awesome guys you are really putting your time in I hope to get something even close to that one of these afternoons.

baitstealer
10-29-2016, 09:58 AM
I checked out four beaches in moco yesterday. I saw some boats and bait but it was not anything near the surf.there were a lot of rain fish that you guys keep talking about, but it didn't seem like nothing much on them. Tried a lot of things. Nada for me except 5 minutes before I was going to leave how to blow up on a pencil popper, but it never came back. will try again maybe today or tomorrow. Good luck everyone and thanks for the reports they keep me pumped.

storminsteve
10-29-2016, 10:05 AM
Hey Monty the Aquaman is back! Are you still crushing it out on lawn gay-land? How about dead things find any monsters lately?:wow:

storminsteve
10-29-2016, 10:07 AM
Nice going fellas. I put in a lot of time walking the beach last night, with only one schooly to show for it. Got it on bucktail. Didn't see many other fish caught either. It's definitely been like feast-or-famine out there for me, I don't know about any of the rest of you.

porgy75
10-29-2016, 10:20 AM
skunk report Moco. Near an inlet this morning. Water looked fishy but maybe I got there too late. Fished from 7 until 9. when I got to the beach a guy was walking off with a nice striper probably a lot bigger than 28 inches. Saw nothing else either by me or the 15 other guys that were up and down the beach.

porgy75
10-29-2016, 10:23 AM
Stormy Steve I agree with you. I am not catching the fish like some of these other guys are claiming so maybe I'm just out at the wrong time. congrats to you guys who are finding the fish.

Monty
10-29-2016, 11:17 AM
Hey Monty the Aquaman is back! Are you still crushing it out on lawn gay-land? How about dead things find any monsters lately?:wow:
:HappyWave:
I have had a good year on LI, LOL, with fish.
Not a lot of dead stuff, will post some pics soon.
Tough year on the dead stuff finding.

vpass
10-29-2016, 12:08 PM
I have had a good year on LI, LOL, with fish.
Not a lot of dead stuff, will post some pics soon.
Tough year on the dead stuff finding.

Usually the dead stuff you find on LI are Bodies mostly in marsh land. Lol.

Hey Monty, How you doing!!!

Monty
10-29-2016, 04:13 PM
Usually the dead stuff you find on LI are Bodies mostly in marsh land. Lol.

Hey Monty, How you doing!!!
I am doing well, great to see you getting out and fishing (and catching).
I have heard a bunch of stories about bodies dumped around beaches out there.
Heard a dead boater popped up in the back of Demo 2 weeks ago.

hookedonbass
10-29-2016, 08:04 PM
There's an old saying a day late and a dollar short that must be me.
Got on the beach today and a couple of guys were coming off with some huge stripers. I tried casting all kinds of lures and rubber shads, but no love. they said the bait was moving south so I got in my car, drove South and found a bunch of bait fish. I kept casting and finally got a 27 inch striper so I was happy. Still I wish I could have been at that other beach where they caught those monster stripers man they were big!

plugcrazy
10-29-2016, 08:20 PM
I guess some of you fellas are really lucky. Really is the case of being in the right place at the right time. I started out in Ocean County this morning around 5 a.m. right near Seaside. There was lots of bait far out but no one was hooking up. I went up to Monmouth County and tryed few spots up there. There was a lot of guys on the beach it was very crowded everywhere I went. I think in all the places I went today I might have seen 5 stripers caught with only two keepers. I got nothing I felt so beat up and disappointed. Especially when you hear how other guys are killing it. From what I saw there werent too many slaying them LOL just casting and waiting.
I appreciate how you guys post your skunks with the catches, because it still gives me something to strive for. Might get back out there tomorrow, good luck everyone and congrats.

fishinmission78
10-29-2016, 08:39 PM
^^^^^ Dude don't feel bad a lot of guys aren't catching either. They pop up for a few minutes here and there and then they're gone. Right place right time.

cowherder
10-30-2016, 12:07 AM
Yes sir, you can't catch them from the couch! Congrats and thanks these reports help me get through the skunks.

cowherder
10-30-2016, 12:09 AM
The beach in moco tonight, the wind died down and it was really nice. Did a lot of walking, ended up with 1 close-to-legal striper on a white shad.

fishinmission78
10-31-2016, 08:55 AM
From Friday till yesterday saw so many 20 and 30 pounders caught and a few forties. The fish were moving fast in many cases. You had to be right there when they were. Ocean County was good in various spots, but I think by today the biggest mass will be in LBI or Brigantine. I kept one striper between 15 and 20 pounds every time out. my biggest this weekend was 29 pounds. Mostly snag and drop, some on pencil poppers. Kept her as well because she swallowed the treble and was all bloody. I hope we see some more fish. That was probably some of the best fishing I have seen in a long time.
good luck guys

seamonkey
10-31-2016, 09:33 AM
I really hope they touch base in Atlantic County I will be ready! thanks for sharing and congrats.

SharkHart
10-31-2016, 09:54 AM
I guess some of you fellas are really lucky. Really is the case of being in the right place at the right time. I started out in Ocean County this morning around 5 a.m. right near Seaside. There was lots of bait far out but no one was hooking up. I went up to Monmouth County and tryed few spots up there. There was a lot of guys on the beach it was very crowded everywhere I went. I think in all the places I went today I might have seen 5 stripers caught with only two keepers. I got nothing I felt so beat up and disappointed. Especially when you hear how other guys are killing it. From what I saw there werent too many slaying them LOL just casting and waiting.
I appreciate how you guys post your skunks with the catches, because it still gives me something to strive for. Might get back out there tomorrow, good luck everyone and congrats.

I had the exact same experience sunday. Covered 10 miles tons of people didnt catch

fishinmission78
10-31-2016, 11:02 AM
I completely agree with you guys. I think if you took a survey 1000 guys were fishing yesterday probably less than 200 hooked up.
what I was finding is that these fish were not up close on every beach. It was only every couple miles that the bunker and they came in close enough. I spent so many times cruising up and down Ocean County roads and sand over the weekend I should have been a uber driver lol. I had to fill up the gas tank on my truck twice. Chasing after this these fish might seem crazy, but that's the only way I was able to catch them.
The night has been better numbers for some friends of mine, but those are usually smaller fish - tops in the high teens. Fwiw

fishinmission78
10-31-2016, 11:07 AM
I was saying the biggest part of those fish would hit LBI or brigantine by today and would be gone. Well they're not, some came in on bunker this morning. Friends texted me some nice pics so far.
Fish to 30 pounds.

jigfreak
10-31-2016, 11:37 AM
Yeah it's definitely hard to figure out. Same with me fishing in the back. One night it will be a bonanza and the next night completely dead with not even a tap.

jigfreak
10-31-2016, 11:38 AM
Great going BTW. looks like you had a fantastic weekend.

jigfreak
10-31-2016, 11:42 AM
Lucked into a few after the rain last night. Nicest ones were 11 and 16#. In the back, rubber, outgoing tide. A few smaller ones as well.

buckethead
10-31-2016, 12:40 PM
Very nice to hear that some of you guys are getting into quality fish.
I still have been catching mostly school size stripers in the hour before and after sunrise. I got one this morning on my usual beachwalk. Bucktail and redgill. There werr still rain fish in the surf zone, but not much other life around and no boats or fishermen at all where I was.

hookset
10-31-2016, 01:16 PM
Fishing in new jersey has devolved to running towards the blitzs in spring and fall.

hookset
10-31-2016, 01:17 PM
Great effort fnm. Well done. I fished a few places in back last night, nothing. Then finally saved myself from skunk. 27 inch striper on black bomber in the surf. It's hit-and-miss out there. At least for me.

vpass
10-31-2016, 03:30 PM
Fished few different spots out front NoMoCo from 6am to 12:30pm. I throw the Bag, fished all water columns. I Had only one blow up on a pencil and missed it. I seen no bait nor any birds working where I was. Still was great getting out on the beach.

cowherder
10-31-2016, 06:28 PM
Wow I could have written the same report v pass except I fished there from 8 until 12 last nite and after the rain I really didn't give it my all. I got skunked as well. Then you see the reports of these guys slaying these fish and this is so frustrating. I am happy for them. It just seems like you have to be right on the redx. Congrats guys you deserve it, I just hope I can get in on some of it.

cowherder
10-31-2016, 06:30 PM
Hope I didn't come across as sounding like a hater LOL. Just venting a little frustration. Kudos to you guys doing the catching. You work hard and deserve it!

hookedonbass
10-31-2016, 06:33 PM
Remember the old rap song down with OPP?
I think for this next week the striper theme will be down in OCC.

hookedonbass
10-31-2016, 06:34 PM
Great job men, glad someone is catching some nice stripes.

storminsteve
10-31-2016, 08:32 PM
Remember the old rap song down with OPP?
I think for this next week the striper theme will be down in OCC.
Haha think so

storminsteve
10-31-2016, 08:33 PM
Nice work gents. Hope this continues and we get some sandeels.

lostatsea
10-31-2016, 09:14 PM
Would love to see those sand eels come in. I think it was 2012 that the action was fantastic for November. Best November I ever had.

lostatsea
10-31-2016, 09:17 PM
I fished Moco 6-9. pretty decent weather and surf, but no stripers. Talked to a lot of guys about the big fish in Ocean County. Like you guys said seems to be the hot spot right now. Thanks for the intel and congrats on the awesome catches!