PDA

View Full Version : fall runs 2016 - do we have to wait till November until it's really on?

cowherder
10-11-2016, 10:41 AM
I read the thread about the fishing being so spotty in Montauk. Well that's the way it's been for me too. Every year things heat up later and later. Is that all the fault of jetty filling /replenishment? Your thoughts?

fishinmission78
10-11-2016, 10:49 AM
Here's my take. A lot of our Jersey beaches are now flat with nothing to hold fish. also any great runs in the fall had a lot to do with sand eels coming in and holding right at the beach lip or beyond the breakers. that hasn't happened in a while. We might have to wait till november till things get really good.

fishgutz
10-11-2016, 11:18 AM
Either that, or chase after the stripers through different states.

buckethead
10-12-2016, 08:43 AM
I agree with fishing mission. However there have always been small bass around this time of year. For the last few years I have seen a marked decline. I am seeing plenty of bait in the surf, but not enough fish on them.

SharkHart
10-12-2016, 09:13 AM
I fished western long island last year when they had a run of fish and capree boats were killing it. In my head i thought it was abou 10/20 looking at my log i was surprised to see i was there 11th. It was full in before that with sand eel bite. I actually think this is good for NJ that no big bite there now. I think the bass got hung up in LI and the bait. Hence the dec run last year here

seamonkey
10-12-2016, 10:26 AM
The only really good striper months in Cape May are April and May, and November and December. We have a lot of flat beaches and no structure. You either need to fish the back bays or near bridges. Sharking and kingfish is good in the summer but that's about it from the surf. I wish we had half the activity that you guys have.

baitstealer
10-12-2016, 10:32 AM
Guess that's why a lot of guys buy boats.

surfrob
10-12-2016, 03:11 PM
The only really good striper months in Cape May are April and May, and November and December. We have a lot of flat beaches and no structure. You either need to fish the back bays or near bridges. Sharking and kingfish is good in the summer but that's about it from the surf. I wish we had half the activity that you guys have.

ditto. small blues right now out front, while the rivers and back are loaded with bait and fish.

Brigantine gets a week or 2 of reasonable action in the surf, then it's very spotty, and most action by boat.

I can count on one hand the number of times bunker schools were within castable distance.