PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Fall run 2016

buckethead
11-06-2016, 07:06 AM
I think finchaser and dark may have said this already. There seems to be a lot of hype surrounding the 2016 fall run. From most of the folks I share info with, there were a few good days, maybe three, in Island beach. And some good afternoons in Monmouth County. Boats have been hammering fish. None the less, they're not always catching consistently either despite huge quantities of bunker.
the areas where I fish have always held small stripers this time of year. And right now they don't.
Sure there have been some good blitzes but I am talking about consistent regular fishing. Wonder what the rest of you folks think?

nitestrikes
11-06-2016, 07:13 AM
Here's my opinion from fishing out east and Montauk. I have been fishing the South Shore beaches regularly. Also made it to Montauk about 10 times so far this fall. Out of the Montauk trips I caught fish three times. Somewhere decent, but much less than in past.
years. SS jaunts, and fishing there at least twice a week because it's closer to home. Last week we did get into some nice fish to the 25 pound class in one particular area. Did not report it because we were trying to delay the reporting. still you have to think about it, especially when you fish regularly. You get one or two nights of great action and then lots of blankness in between.this is nothing like the full runs I remember 10 -20 years ago. Even Montauk action is a small amount compared to what it once used to be.

jigfreak
11-06-2016, 11:49 AM
I usually do pretty well in the back bays at night from September until November when it slows down. Pitching rubber off sod banks at creek mouths and other types of structure, it's never been hard to pick up a few schoolies. This year I'm struggling, and been striking out more often than not. For someone not to see that the fish aren't as many places, means they really haven't been fishing that long, or they're just know it all a**-clowns who really don't know anything.

Monty
11-06-2016, 04:34 PM
I have been fishing pretty much one area on LI.
While there have been bass around each trip, I am not finding them in "good looking water" like I used to.
They do not seem to be spread out as much.
Also, more than 1/2 have been over 28 inches. I think the "good looking water" previously held smaller bass.

finchaser
11-06-2016, 06:36 PM
sucks and its gonna get worse

williehookem
11-06-2016, 07:05 PM
My fall has been nothing to write home about. A few stripers and some nice blue fish. I did a lot better last year. I think the sandeels were here by that time last year though so that might make a difference

finchaser
11-07-2016, 11:41 AM
Sand eels would make a difference miserable bunker take the bass with them like a vacuum Sand eels hold the fish as they do not fly south

cowherder
11-07-2016, 01:00 PM
Heard about some guys catching fish on the beach that has sand eels in their bellies. This was in Ocean County, I'm hoping they come in.

finchaser
11-07-2016, 04:48 PM
Heard about some guys catching fish on the beach that has sand eels in their bellies. This was in Ocean County, I'm hoping they come in.

X2^^^

jigfreak
11-08-2016, 06:57 AM
Kill em all, that's the only thing folks seem to understand. yeah I miss sandeels too, especially when they came in twice a year. Anyone remember that?

finchaser
11-08-2016, 07:20 PM
YEP use to come in the spring around the whiting run

hookset
11-09-2016, 08:57 AM
God I remember that, good times. Catching 20-40 fish at night and not just schoolies either.

SharkHart
11-09-2016, 07:22 PM
This is looking a lot last fall, big bunker bass then a sizable gap before the regular bass. id estimate .05 % or less fishing Bayhead and south got into those big bass, but they Tackle shop was selling it as AMAZING EPIC fishing and guys are lining up to agree even if it wasn't them who caught the fish.

I had a few days off recently and I wasnt taking chances and fished in a scrum where a bite is and witnessed some truly unbelievable lawlessness type muggings, why are people acting like this? cause they are desperate for fish, more fish more options less crazy behavior im thinking. As options decrease more people get packed into smaller areas where there is something special about the water.

the problem with a late run is if you get a cold snap around Thanksgiving like 3 days under 39 degrees it could be the swan song.

The train is much shorter then it used to be, I still think we will get a good shot around thanksgiving.

baitstealer
11-10-2016, 12:38 AM
That is definitely a good way to put it. I fished a few beaches on Wednesday morning. Stripers were all over but nobody was catching. Still guys were mugging each other and running around like crazy lunatics. when did people start treating people so selfishly?

jigfreak
11-10-2016, 01:12 AM
Sharkhart def agree. If sand eels come in, we could be saved. Otherwise it could all be over in 2 weeks

SharkHart
11-10-2016, 09:41 AM
Betty and nicks just posted ton of bass in montauk. Which is a hillarious cliche

storminsteve
11-11-2016, 12:21 PM
No offense but I don't think he knows what he's talking about half the time. I think he gets information from hearsay and he posts whatever.