PDA

View Full Version : snagging and dropping for small stripers your thoughts?

plugginpete
11-29-2016, 08:59 AM
I drove to New Jersey to see the craziness on Sunday. I got some stripers on a SS popper. Saw a lot of folks snagging and dropping. Most of these were 24 to 27 inch stripers. Do you think that kills the fish? A couple were bleeding badly when thrown back. What are your thoughts, guys?

Monty
11-29-2016, 09:58 AM
I think it Sucks.
I do not snag and drop, I am against it.
Finchaser has discussed this often, talked about using circle hooks.
Cowherder recently posted about a day he did extremely well with artificials, but that the others using snag and drop did better.
His day was excellent, seemed like no need to snag and drop.

fishinmission78
11-29-2016, 10:01 AM
^^^^Do you think there's any chance of that? I'm not meaning to criticize , do you fish in Jersey. Not many want to try anything else or they claim it's the only thing that works. I'm not trying to argue just stating what im seeing. I would agree I think it's probably killing a lot more fish than people realize.

cowherder
11-29-2016, 11:22 AM
yeah it seems like everyone's doing it. The three main ways they're catching fish now in daytime blitzez are poppers, shads, and snag & drop. The guys who were snagging the peanuts out fished me by at least 4 to 1 though.

jigfreak
11-29-2016, 12:47 PM
On the Water just posted an article on how to catch more fish by snagging n dropping. ROFL

vpass
11-29-2016, 01:21 PM
I watched one of the guys next to me using this technique killed 3 shorts that the water turned red when he released them. he was going thru the gills to remove the hook. I bet half the fish that were released died form snag and drop technique.

Monty
11-29-2016, 05:34 PM
I watched one of the guys next to me using this technique killed 3 shorts that the water turned red when he released them. he was going thru the gills to remove the hook. I bet half the fish that were released died form snag and drop technique.

What a waste. Jersey finally gets a few great days of fishing and instead of people sharpening their skills with artificials, or challenging themselves to catch the abundance of bass on artificials, a lot of people resort to snag and drop and injure and kill.
I don't get people. I just do not understand their single mindlessness.

dogfish
11-30-2016, 04:06 AM
What the hell is wrong with you joisey guys? snagging and dropping for dinks, has it become that desperate?

finchaser
11-30-2016, 06:43 AM
It's disgusting but they say they are targeting keeper size fish
As I always say many of the so called bass fisherman especially the ones in the cell phone mafia can't catch a bass with out snag and drop a blitz and a phone call. Makes me want to :upck:

SharkHart
11-30-2016, 09:23 AM
I cant lie i did my share of snag n drop but only when they ignored lures. I watched a lot of guys flip bails and let em runoff i would hit em the moment i felt a knock and had no issues with deep hooks or missed hits

basshunter
11-30-2016, 09:49 AM
^^I guess if you were going to do it, would make sense in doing it right. You want to set that hook as quickly as possible.Saw a lot of dudes doing that the last time I was out fishing. Vive la difference.

surferman
11-30-2016, 09:59 AM
I think I have read here many times the bunker makes everyone a bass fisherman.:d

finchaser
11-30-2016, 06:20 PM
I cant lie i did my share of snag n drop but only when they ignored lures. I watched a lot of guys flip bails and let em runoff i would hit em the moment i felt a knock and had no issues with deep hooks or missed hits

I agree with you 100% but most do that count to 10 bulls-it they read about to make sure the fish swallows it.

storminsteve
12-02-2016, 08:17 AM
I haven't done it yet. Was next to a guy last week that seemed to catch one striper after another doing that. Like vpass said, a few of his went back very bloody they probably didn't make it.

fishinmission78
12-04-2016, 03:21 PM
No one was snagging and dropping for stripers yesterday. Didn't see any caught on bait either, it was all about artificials.

bababooey
12-04-2016, 07:43 PM
What's the big deal if you are going to keep some anyway? Shouldn't you be allowed to catch them however you want? Jeez!

finchaser
12-05-2016, 08:45 AM
these are mostly shorts^^^