PDA

View Full Version : what to do when you find dirty water?

hookedonbass
12-09-2016, 04:14 AM
I fished SRI with shads tonight. The water was so dirty. It looked like putrid diarrhea. What you guys do when you find water like that? Have you been catching on artificials or do you just move on to the next spot? Thanks

finchaser
12-09-2016, 08:24 AM
move or fish chartreuse
In inlets after rain water like you describe is usually cold ,dirty low tide runoff water

storminsteve
12-10-2016, 10:48 AM
I found dirty water the other night as well. I could be wrong but I don't think bait likes to hang out in water when it's like that. I think it moves out. Before the sun went down I could see 150 foot band of dirty water. It was only way beyond that that it started to look clean again.

captnemo
12-10-2016, 11:11 AM
Agree with the chartreuse suggestion. It is the only thing that seems to work for us when the water is off-color.

7deadlyplugs
12-10-2016, 12:32 PM
The only thing that has worked for me if water is that bad is to throw some juicy snot or bunker.

Rip-Plugger
12-10-2016, 05:07 PM
when I find dirty water I like to go with a bright color like orange,yellow or white and chartreuse too.
then I fish it slower.
I also like to use a plug that has noise and gives off a good throb,they can find it in even darkness.
one lure in particular I used waay back for schoolies was a large spinnerbait in a bright color with a trailer hook and white curlytail.
they always seemed to find it while allowing it to drift and slow rolling it.
the smaller bladed ones I used had 2 blades,the type with larger blades I took off the front blade.
they worked well if the fish were there and hungry.

Rip-Plugger
12-10-2016, 05:09 PM
I fished SRI with shads tonight. The water was so dirty. It looked like putrid diarrhea. What you guys do when you find water like that? Have you been catching on artificials or do you just move on to the next spot? Thankswhen I find water like that I go home and fire up the grill whilst waiting for 1-2 tide changes then it is much cleaner.

hookset
12-11-2016, 08:17 AM
Agreed, sometimes a tide change makes a world of difference.

baitstealer
12-11-2016, 08:27 AM
"if it aint chartreuse then it's no use!"

jigfreak
12-13-2016, 07:45 AM
Throw big. I get most of my fish with small jigs and rubber. With dirty water either I throw big pligs or move somewhere else.
Speaking of dirty water, the Manasquan to Asbury area has been filthy over the past week. I hate those dredgers.