PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Bass proposal

finchaser
02-04-2017, 11:05 AM
Below is some information on the ASMFC striped bass meeting the other day. This means that an addendum will be developed that would allow the RELAXATION of regulations for striped bass for both commercial and recreational fishermen. When the addendum comes out, we will have to oppose this. Note that NJ voted in favor of developing the addendum. For the record, Tom Fote was not there and his proxy was opposed to developing the addendum. However, the other two NJ reps, Russ Allen and Adam Nowalsky favored it so that is how our state voted.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELASE, FEBRUARY 3, 2017
PRESS CONTACT, TINA BERGER, 703.842.0740

ASMFC Atlantic Striped Bass Management Board Initiates Development of Draft Addendum V to Consider Liberalizing Management Measures

Alexandra, VA ? The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission?s Atlantic Striped Bass Management Board initiated the development of Draft Addendum V to Amendment 6 to the Atlantic Striped Bass Fishery Management Plan (FMP) to consider liberalizing coastwide commercial and recreational regulations. The Board?s action responds to concerns raised by Chesapeake Bay jurisdictions regarding continued economic hardship endured by its stakeholders since the implementation of Addendum IV and information from the 2016 assessment update indicating fishing mortality is below the target.

Addendum IV, implemented for the 2015 fishing season, required coastwide harvest reductions to reduce fishing mortality (F) to a level at or below the target. Specifically, coastal fisheries implemented measures to reduce harvest by 25% compared to 2013 levels, and Chesapeake Bay fisheries implemented measures to reduce harvest by 20.5% compared to 2012 levels. Additionally, an objective of Addendum IV is to protect the 2011 year class.

According to the results of the 2016 stock assessment update, the Atlantic striped bass stock is not overfished and overfishing is not occurring. Furthermore, Addendum IV successfully reduced fishing mortality to a level below the target (F in 2015 is estimated at 0.16), and length-frequency data from the catch in 2015 indicates a strong presence of the 2011 year class which is anticipated to join the coastal spawning population this year.

A draft of the addendum will be presented for Board review in May. For more information, please contact Max Appelman, Fishery Management Plan Coordinator, at mappelman@asmfc.org or 703.842.0740.
Main Motion
Move to initiate an addendum to the Atlantic Striped Bass Fishery Management Plan that considers a
relaxation of the coastwide commercial and recreational regulations to bring fishing mortality to the
target based on the 2016 stock assessment update.
Motion made by Mr. Luisi and seconded by Mr. O?Reilly. Motion passes (Roll Call Vote: In Favor ?
CT, NY, NJ, DE, MD, DC, PRFC, VA; Opposed ? ME, NH, MA, RI, PA, USFWS, NMFS; Null ? N

surferman
02-05-2017, 01:54 PM
Thats crazy. fishing in the delaware bay and cape may has sucked for years. Adam Nowalsky knows the area. he should not be supporting the addendum.

fishinmission78
02-05-2017, 06:21 PM
Agreed. but I think he is also a charter boat captain as well.

buckethead
02-06-2017, 09:49 AM
Idiotic. Only a few years ago striped bass were teetering on the brink of the "over fishing" designation. something like 10 million pounds away from the point where they needed to shut it down. now all of a sudden everything is recovered and limits should be relaxed? I smell a payoff somewhere.

hookedonbass
02-06-2017, 09:58 AM
+1

finchaser
02-06-2017, 12:04 PM
for sure will put more pressure on bass to cover up fluke and sea bass closures

hookset
02-08-2017, 07:07 AM
Doesn't make sense to me either. You got two good spawning years and now the fishing is epic? some of these folks must not be out and fishing regularly.

plugcrazy
02-08-2017, 02:20 PM
The stripers are in great shape! At least some of those RB captains talk that crap every chance they get. we should make the new limits 5 bass at 28 inches woohoo! Cmon who agrees with me?:kooky:

fishinmission78
02-08-2017, 08:50 PM
Maybe lighten up a little on the caffeine dude. No one seems to remember the good old days anymore. I have talked to so many guys who said the fall 2016 fishing was their best ever. There's no arguing with them. Newbies galore have entered the sport.

hookset
02-15-2017, 06:27 AM
EIther that, or you have guys fishing for five years and they're experts
Really, you're talking about two good years of striper spawning. So many places do not hold resident stripers in the past few years. You have to wait for the migratory fish. The guys who make these proposals must not fish a lot.