PDA

View Full Version : placement of split rings?

porgy75
03-06-2017, 05:02 PM
Apologies if there is already a thread on this but I could not find it.
Could you guys tell me if you have a rule of thumb placing split rings on the lure eyelets? like, I know when you are doing bombers & SPs, you put a split ring on the front eye. what about bigger lures? Does it really make a difference? Thank you, gents.

Monty
03-07-2017, 06:44 PM
I take them off and prefer not using them.
Connect with a Breakaway Clip.

buckethead
03-08-2017, 07:56 AM
The rule of thumb I go by- if the plug needs the fisherman to give it action when swimming, you're better off with just a breakaway clip like Monty said. As an aside, some of the cheaper plugs have weak split rings for the hooks. Hooks and rings should be upgraded.

Blazin420
03-09-2017, 09:01 AM
I have never honestly seen a difference in action or hookups with the plugs I fish with or without the split ring... most times I take it off makes it easier in the dark when your up to your chest in water to change plugs..

Rip-Plugger
03-10-2017, 03:40 AM
using a fastlink with say an xrap the front split ring makes it tough to get on/off.
the bad thing about removing it and using a fast link is the fish could shake/roll and jump the clip and your plug is gone with the fish.
heard of it happening but,never saw it until last september when I fought a good gator and when I got it in close it jumped,shook and jumped the clip then swam away with my ss darter totally locked in it's face.
the thin wire can easily get around the clip and come off.
so,leaving the split ring on the nose make it harder for this to happen because it is thicker but,it's a pain in the coochie to get on/off.
so,it's a crapshoot if you use the clips,if you use the duolock you could cut it off.
personally,all of my plastic plugs have them cut off.

Rip-Plugger
03-10-2017, 03:42 AM
I have never honestly seen a difference in action or hookups with the plugs I fish with or without the split ring... most times I take it off makes it easier in the dark when your up to your chest in water to change plugs..it is indeed so easy with it cu off,I don't even have to look.
the plug is off and another back on in 15 seconds.