PDA

View Full Version : Big wood end of an era

jigfreak
03-12-2017, 03:24 PM
Not trying to p*ss anyone off just making an observation. I went to the Berkeley and Asbury shows. Lots of new builders, some have only been around a few years. These guys are not moving a lot of inventory. I catch the majority of my fish on jigs n rubber so it doesn't bother me. Is big wood on it's way out?

aage
03-12-2017, 03:48 PM
No, its just what you enjoy fishing with.

Monty
03-12-2017, 07:56 PM
It would make sense, lots of builders, supply and demand out of balance.
I don't think its the end of "the big wood era", just a lot of supply of plugs that are not made by the "the hot in demand builder".
Builders with a certain style, niche, type of plug who make a limited supply are still in demand.
Look at the demand for the Super Strike plug colors that are not being made this year, limit the supply, and the demand spikes.

Rip-Plugger
03-13-2017, 02:25 AM
wood will never be out,,the young guys use the brand name plastic plugs and are willing to pay high prices for them.
certain rubber works well and when it's the right time of year it will work killer.
rubber is kinda like a bucktail just with rubber bodies instead of deer hair or fish hair.
so,one could keep them together in a group.
when it comes to wood it stands by itself and in the right hands it will catch very well.
knowing how to is the main thing.
so,I don't see wood going away,I see it rolling ahead like it always has.

dogfish
03-13-2017, 08:22 AM
I remember when John Habs used to ride up and down the canal selling plugs. He stood by his work and was proud of each one. I wonder if some of the young kids starting out today even test swim all of the pretty colored plugs they are making.

dogfish
03-13-2017, 08:26 AM
Some of the wood stands out. But that is because the maker figured out a way to standardize it. Two great examples, Stan Gibbs plugs and the North Bar line. Those plastic North bar bottle darters are proven fish catchers, no tuning needed. The only thing I have done to them is load them with bbs or oil to make them swim a little deeper.That is one plastic plug that is almost unbeatable for bigger fish.

fishinmission78
03-13-2017, 08:47 AM

Good point. Fish whatever makes you happy.

fishinmission78
03-13-2017, 08:51 AM
I wonder if some of the young kids starting out today even test swim all of the pretty colored plugs they are making.

They probably don't. It's more important to make a plug that has sick stripes or holographic color schemes. THAT'S what really gets the fish's attention.;)

J Barbosa
03-15-2017, 01:17 PM
I have to wonder if you went to the same show. I only made it to Asbury but it seems like this years theme was a continuation of BIG WOOD, specifically pikies.

There is one out of state builder, in particular, building an exact GRS copy and charging $50 for them :scared:

Lots of good wooden builders there...I picked up a few things (some extras and some new to my bag).

fishinmission78
03-22-2017, 08:13 AM
^^^^^ I totally get your point. There is a sh*t load of big wood being offered. It's different from the old days though. When guys like Gary2 would sell out within an hour. Just saying.

fishinmission78
03-22-2017, 08:17 AM
Some of the wood stands out. But that is because the maker figured out a way to standardize it. Two great examples, Stan Gibbs plugs and the North Bar line. Those plastic North bar bottle darters are proven fish catchers, no tuning needed. The only thing I have done to them is load them with bbs or oil to make them swim a little deeper.That is one plastic plug that is almost unbeatable for bigger fish.

Agree with this as well.

buckethead
03-22-2017, 08:25 AM
Simply stated, well-said.

J Barbosa
03-22-2017, 10:54 AM
^^^^^ I totally get your point. There is a sh*t load of big wood being offered. It's different from the old days though. When guys like Gary2 would sell out within an hour. Just saying.

Different how?

Luna, Sunset, Cyclone all sold out within 10 minutes. Probably another guy or two I am forgetting.

fishinmission78
03-22-2017, 12:02 PM
You went to both shows? How long did you stay at each?