PDA

View Full Version : Treble Hooks Mustad 9430-DS

Monty
03-19-2017, 08:09 PM
I have read a few good things about Mustad 9430-DS hooks.
Anyone use these instead of the VMC hooks?
Seems like their short coming is when they are cut, plating chips some times.
They are 5X strong.

I have avoided Mustad trebles big time in the past.

https://i2.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Mustad-9430-DS.jpg

jigfreak
03-19-2017, 08:29 PM
I like the five X part, but I have been disappointed by mustad many times. I never tried the new ones over a period of time, have you?

Monty
03-19-2017, 08:42 PM
I like the five X part, but I have been disappointed by mustad many times. I never tried the new ones over a period of time, have you?

Just ordered some today. I have seen good/great comments on them from a couple good surf fisherman. Sounded like these are different than the ones that have been useless over the last 10+ years.
Going to try a couple out this year. I have a decent supply of 3X VMC hooks, but will work in a few of these Mustads.

finchaser
03-20-2017, 01:58 PM
yes they are thicker and heavier than VMC 6X not designed for bass plugs
need bigger split rings too as some won't close do to hook thickness
Harder to set hook we have them at the shop

hookset
03-20-2017, 06:45 PM
I have seen good/great comments on them from a couple good surf fisherman. Sounded like these are different than the ones that have been useless over the last 10+ years.
Going to try a couple out this year.
5x what the hell are you targeting,tuna?

cowherder
03-20-2017, 06:56 PM
Ummm I think Monty wants to catch a big fish from land in Long Island because he won't go on JBarbosa's boat. He might be going after tuna, you never know!:HappyWave:

bababooey
03-20-2017, 08:44 PM
You dudes are amateurs. Clearly he is fishing for surf wahoo.

Monty
03-20-2017, 09:09 PM
Ummm I think Monty wants to catch a big fish from land in Long Island because he won't go on JBarbosa's boat. He might be going after tuna, you never know!:HappyWave:

:HappyWave:
I do want to catch a real big bass.
Much better chance fishing LI for bigger and more Bass.
3 years making my trips out there, 2015 was the most bass I have caught and last year a new PB.
My only regret is that I did not start fishing out there earlier in my surf fishing.
My best success on LI is the same distance to the Jersey shore for me (so far). Except for the tolls, which are ridiculous, the trips not to Montauk are easier than Jersey beaches.
Doesn't JB have a fleet now? Kayaks are boats too.:upck:

storminsteve
03-21-2017, 06:20 AM
I heard you can only catch in Long Island with 5 x hooks when you're fishing clambrellas from the beach20821