PDA

View Full Version : Techniques -- Fishing a Bomber or similar shallow running lure

bunkerjoe4
07-24-2008, 05:22 PM
Several of out newest members have mentioned that they appreciate coming here, but feel somewhat intimidated by our members who have years of experience, and know how to modify their fishing for different situations.

That's a good point. If you are inexperienced, you can be nearby an angler who is using the same setup as you, and outfishing you 5 to 1. I decided to set up a series of threads to help our newest members learn "How" and "Why". The "where" will be your responsibility. :learn: ;)

If we can teach you how and why, then we have accomplished our goal of helping people to become better anglers. Anyone is welcome to join in, and give their feedback on what works for them in different conditions. :thumbsup:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/misc/progress.gif

albiealert
07-24-2008, 10:34 PM
I fish rivers a lot, and like to fish bombers one hour before and after slack tide. I find that the current is less, and I can throw and retreive slowly.
I mostly fish at night, and the thrill of the bomber for me is that it is a relatively light lure that won't get snagged. You can throw it out, cast alongside structure, slow retreive. You may cast 100x and nothing, but on cast 101 you will hook up using a bomber. They are a reliable plug, for me anyway.

pescador29
08-08-2008, 09:10 PM
I cast the black bombers at night, so far no fish. Do you use other colors?

williehookem
08-08-2008, 11:40 PM
Blurple, chickenscratch, and schoolbus, depends on the brightness of the moon. The darker it is, the darker the plug I would use.

surfstix1963
01-14-2010, 09:09 AM
Many companies make these lures,they are specific in their uses because of weight usually very light if the wind is in your face forget it, they generally have a tight wobble on the retrieve & dive to about 6ft.at the most. The only one that rides on top as far as I know is the cotten cordell Redfin.Cast them and retrieve slowly some throw a twitch in for good measure.They can be loaded this was discussed in another thread and their factory hooks should be replaced before they even touch the water.I like them when the wind is light or at my back I will fish them at night and early in the morning. They can be good at the backsides of inlets or in the back bay.

dogfish
06-24-2010, 11:25 AM
I cast the black bombers at night, so far no fish. Do you use other colors?

I use black a lot, but chickenscratch is also a good color for dawn and dusk. Your not catching fish may not be because of the color. Try slowiing your retrieve down. In summer, I retrieve a little faster. As the water gets colder in late fall, I crawl it along so it's barely moving.

clamchucker
09-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Dogfish gave some good advice there. For bass and at night you usually want a slow retrieve. Surfstix mentioned loading them, that is another deadly tactic when there are deep troughs at the beach.

clamchucker
10-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Just a reminder that bombers are an ideal lure to use now if you can cast them out there. In the low light hours bass are frequently feeding in the wash. The bomber can resemble a spearing, mullet, or it can mimic a sandeel as it swims. They are a great all around plug and will take some big fish. Change the stock hooks out for vmcs, you will be glad you did.