PDA

View Full Version : Techniques -- Fishing a Mag Darter or similar running lure

bunkerjoe4
07-24-2008, 05:23 PM
Several of our newest members have mentioned that they appreciate coming here, but feel somewhat intimidated by our members who have years of experience, and know how to modify their fishing for different situations.

That's a good point. If you are inexperienced, you can be nearby an angler who is using the same setup as you. I decided to set up a series of threads to help our newest members learn "How" and "Why". The "where" will be your responsibility. :learn: ;)

If we can teach you how and why, then we have accomplished our goal of helping people to become better anglers. Anyone is welcome to join in, and give their feedback on what works for them in different conditions. :thumbsup:

williehookem
08-08-2008, 08:55 PM
I usually just throw out near the tips of jetties. When I get there, I run the darter along the sides in short casts in case some fish are holding close. If not, I go to the tip, or side where deepest water is, depending on the tide, and reel slooooowly. Some people reel too fast, no good especially in the dark.

DarkSkies
08-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Magdarters have been a good producer for me, especially the black. Black with orange also has worked in the last few weeks when nothing else would, where there is some lighted areas where you are fishing, and bass have been feeding on baby sea robins at night.
Mackerel has been a good color in the fall, maybe because it slightly resembles a mullet. Like williehookem said, the key is to fish them slow. Sometimes you will just get bumped. If you feel a few bumps, set that hook like you mean it.

ledhead36
01-10-2010, 08:58 PM
What those guys said. The only think I do different is give it an occasional slight twitch. I find if the fish are not that active that night the twitch will set them off, and they will strike right after.

DarkSkies
09-21-2012, 12:50 PM
What those guys said. The only think I do different is give it an occasional slight twitch. I find if the fish are not that active that night the twitch will set them off, and they will strike right after.

Very good point Ledhead. :HappyWave: Fishing a normal retrieve sometimes won't even tell you there are fish nearby.
I had some thoughts on this........

For me, the mag darter retrieve is one that depends on the conditions at that time....
Water temps
Clarity
Type of bait present
The aggressiveness of the fish....

I say these things because it's so different for me each time I head out there. I don't like to make all or nothing statements about technique, or try to suggest that something will always work, because for me, this has proved to be the opposite.

What I try to do, is start out with a general retrieve, speed based on incoming or outgoing tide and the current where I am...

If no action within 10 casts I change it up.
I vary the retrieve. I make the darter act like a wounded baitfish. I also vary the action, and the way I retrieve it, sometimes directly in, sometimes sideways through the troth.

plugcrazy
07-14-2014, 03:12 PM
depending on the tide, and reel slooooowly. Some people reel too fast, no good especially in the dark.

For me, the mag darter retrieve is one that depends on the conditions at that time....
Water temps
Clarity
Type of bait present
The aggressiveness of the fish

If no action within 10 casts I change it up.
I vary the retrieve. I make the darter act like a wounded baitfish. I also vary the action, and the way I retrieve it, sometimes directly in, sometimes sideways through the troth.

Thanks for the tips guys. I was wondering if you use them also in rougher water or do you change to a bigger darter type plug when the swells are big? thanks

stormchaser
07-14-2014, 04:46 PM
I would fish a big darter for big surf. The way it's made it can get in there and dig in and that's what you want. A mag darter has its' place in calmer water or when small whitebait is being actively chased or in the surf zone. my .02