PDA

View Full Version : Techniques -- Fishing a Storm shad, Tsunami shad, or similar profile swimbait

bunkerjoe4
07-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Several of our newest members have mentioned that they appreciate coming here, but feel somewhat intimidated by our members who have years of experience, and know how to modify their fishing for different situations.

That's a good point. If you are inexperienced, you can be nearby an angler who is using the same setup as you, and outfishing you 5 to 1. I decided to set up a series of threads to help our newest members learn "How" and "Why". The "where" will be your responsibility. :learn: ;)

If we can teach you how and why, then we have accomplished our goal of helping people to become better anglers. Anyone is welcome to join in, and give their feedback on what works for them in different conditions. :thumbsup:

clamchucker
08-08-2008, 08:59 PM
This is one of the most universal lures out there. I fish them 7 months out of the year, unless it's too cold, then I will use a bucktail. You just cast it out, try to follow structure, or the cuts if casting from a beach. Let it sink, and slow retrieve. If fish are there, you will know it.

nitestrikes
08-26-2008, 10:20 AM
I like fishing a small teaser above one of these, especially this time of year.

dogfish
09-18-2008, 09:40 AM
They are good when baitfish are active in the fall run. The wobbling tail sends out vibrations hard to resist.

I just cast em out, and slow retrieve in the jetty pockets. If on a kayak, I cast to the front of the rocks as I drift by. From shore, I retrieve along the sides, keeping as tight to the rocks as I can without snagging.

dogfish
11-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Also, these should be in every tackle bag as a go to that you throw when nothing else seems to be working. They're great for late fall, white is my best producer.

ledhead36
12-02-2008, 06:17 PM
I find that the colder the water gets, nothing beats a bucktail or rubber.

captnemo
12-04-2008, 03:53 PM
It's an issue of presentation. When the water is cold you want to swim that bait right next to the bass or they might not expend any energy to suck it in.

plugcrazy
12-29-2011, 09:06 AM
Exactly, Capt. There are some warmer water discharge areas where they work all season. I use a very slow and steady retrieve this time of year.