PDA

View Full Version : Tribute to Original Punk Rockers

HerringRollins
07-25-2008, 11:56 AM
The Sex Pistols were arguably one of the most controversial bands of their time. From the time they hit our US shores in the 70's, the footprint and influence they left on the American music scene was huge. Many early bands cited their influence. With the death of Sid Vicious, Johnny Rotten, aka John Lydon made an amazing transition and re-created success in the form of Public Image (PIL).

The late 70's were good times to be into punk rock in its earliest stages. The Sex Pistols, Ramones, Dead Boys, Iggy Pop, Talking Heads, Souxie and the Banshees, Buzzcocks, Gang of Four, Patti Smith, etc were all over the top, putting out sounds and doing things that were previously unheard of in concert halls.

Wearing razor blades safety pins, wallowing in filth, stage dives and slam dancing were born and embraced by a young audience eager to reject the values of their parents.

Regrettably, I never saw the Sex Pistols, but did get a chance to see some of the others. Great times.:thumbsup:

HerringRollins
07-25-2008, 12:03 PM
I'll try to highlight some of the more obscure Sex Pistols tracks here.

Couldn't start a tribute without putting up "My Way". They didn't need props or stage scenes. I still get chills every time I watch this, and wonder what his life would have been like if he didn't OD. The anger and raw energy really comes through here. RIP Sid.:thumbsup:

WIXg9KUiy00

HerringRollins
07-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Punk1 Interview Pretty Vacant

JvHzO7dEyDU

Punk2 Interview

yo9fXiVAleQ

HerringRollins
07-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Interview 77, he hated the complacent hippies:D

elFRG7vnxwc

More anti-hippy stuff

QJm97o-4qYI

Filth and the Fury interview

JTM3CdzB4Vs

HerringRollins
07-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Emi - Dallas 1978

KqzU5AygmJM

Jubilee boat trip 77

f2y2Pd2Ibw4

HerringRollins
07-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Passenger - 77

y4hPnZUMBwA

I wanna be your dog 1979

IbLRf0j80wU

HerringRollins
07-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Blitz benefit 78 - look for John Belushi playing drums at 5:20 :clapping:

cW5x5DmNyuY

Sonic reducer - rip, Stiv

Jps611CuUPI

ain't nothin to do - Cbgb's 1977
1KHbvQvK8h4

I need lunch

xlrFlmRmcWU

dogfish
07-25-2008, 02:43 PM
I still have their album who killed bambi.:D great thread.

cracklepopper
07-25-2008, 03:22 PM
The Sex Pistols were arguably one of the most controversial bands of their time. From the time they hit our US shores in the 70's, the footprint and influence they left on the American music scene was huge. Many early bands cited their influence. With the death of Sid Vicious, Johnny Rotten, aka John Lydon made an amazing transition and re-created success in the form of Public Image (PIL).

:thumbsup:

Um didn't Mr Vicious die of a heroin overdose?
Heroin = loser = dead guy. any questions?:D

Mike D
11-28-2008, 11:07 AM
Um didn't Mr Vicious die of a heroin overdose?
Heroin = loser = dead guy. any questions?:D

I don't think the point of the thread is to promote the drug OD. :rolleyes: Obviously a sad and dumb move. However, that does not negate the creative brilliance and influence they had on music. i.e., Hendrix, Joplin, Keith Moon, were all brilliant musicians, but non the less are dead due to drug & alchohal abuse.

I never saw the Sex Pistols but I did see the following bands in the early and mid 80's.

The Ramones
REM
The B52's
Talking Heads
X (with Xena and John Doe)
U-2 (when they're music was new & raw. 1983 at The Tower Theater in Upper Darby, PA. Holds 2500 people. AWESOME!

DarkSkies
11-28-2008, 11:29 PM
^ Old school! Never saw them, but they put out some great music. :clapping:

Devil doll
R-p_kgA0VUo

Tru love
ISzVb33tH2U

DarkSkies
11-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Desperate
JzkNdOY03Q4