PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Newark Mayor Gets 27 Months For Scandal

surferman
07-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Ex-Newark Mayor Gets 27 Months For Scandal

(AP) Former Newark Mayor Sharpe James was sentenced to more than two years in federal prison on Tuesday for his role in the cut-rate sales of city land to his former mistress.

U.S. District Judge William Martini gave James 27 months and ordered him to pay a $100,000 fine, but did not require him to pay restitution to the city.

Federal prosecutors were seeking up to 20 years for James, but the judge last week said such a long sentence was not warranted.

The 72-year-old former mayor apologized to the city and his family before sentencing. "I made a mistake. I'm a human being," he said.

"I would like to apologize to my wife of 44 years and my mother, who is 94, for the hardship and suffering they have had to endure," James told the hushed courtroom. "If I made a mistake, it was not of malice or intent."

Defense lawyers sought probation for James, who led New Jersey's largest city for 20 years. He was also a Democratic state senator.

Also sentenced Tuesday was James' former mistress, 39-year-old Tamika Riley, who got a 15-month term and was ordered to repay $27,000 for cheating on a federal housing subsidy.

Prosecutors charged that James abused his office and betrayed his constituents by arranging for the sale of nine city-owned properties for $46,000 to Riley from 2001 to 2005. Riley quickly sold them for $665,000 without ever starting required rehabilitation work on most of them, prosecutors said.

Martini ordered James and Riley to surrender by Sept. 15 to prisons that have yet to be assigned. Both are appealing their convictions.

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/common/images/v3/quote_open.gifI made a mistake. I'm a human being.http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/common/images/v3/quote_close.gif
Former Newark Mayor Sharpe James

The judge said James "has accomplished much in his life." He said the prosecution request for up to 20 years "disappoints me and shocks me," noting that James did not take any bribes, and that recent sentences for elected officials convicted of bribery were seven years or less.

U.S. Attorney Christopher Christie said he planned to ask the Justice Department for permission to appeal both sentences, saying he disagreed with the judge's reasoning.

"I don't think it makes a difference if you get bribed with money or get bribed sex," Christie said.

The judge determined the city did not lose any money from the sales, but the prosecution contended the sentences should reflect that James gained companionship and that Riley cleared over $430,000.

"The victim here is the public trust," Martini said, adding that officials have an obligation to disclose relationships.

James lawyer Thomas Ashley said that if the mayor committed any crime, it was in failing to tell city officials of his relationship with Riley.

"This is not a case where Sharpe James sold his office," Ashley said.

The lawyer added that James accomplished great things for Newark, attracting new development and clearing slums.

Riley told the judge, "I made a lot of mistakes, but I did not come to Newark or any other city to take or defraud."

"I'm responsible for my mistakes," Riley said, and she apologized to family and James' wife.

Her lawyer, Gerald Krovatin, said, "She became a prop in a government plot writ large," adding she was caught up in a prosecution effort to destroy James.

Neither Riley nor James spoke upon leaving the courthouse following the sentencing.

Prosecutor Judith H. Germano argued that James deserved extra time because of his leadership of the conspiracy, and its seven-year duration.

James and Riley were convicted in April on all charges they faced.

James was convicted on five counts, including conspiracy and fraud. Riley, a publicist who once ran a clothing boutique near City Hall, was convicted on those and the eight other counts she faced, including tax evasion and cheating to obtain subsidized housing assistance for herself.

James had faced a second trial on charges he racked up $58,000 on city credit cards for lavish personal expenses and for travels with several women other than his wife. But prosecutors reached a deal with him in May that they would drop those charges unless any portion of his conviction is overturned; they said additional convictions would not mean much more prison time.

James was one of the most powerful figures snared in a series of corruption cases in New Jersey brought by the U.S. attorney's office, but one of the few to plead not guilty. He left office in 2006 after declining to seek a sixth term.

As a result of his conviction, James could be stripped of pensions that provide a six-figure annual income. State Treasury spokesman Tom Bell said "honorable service" reviews can start now that sentencing has occurred.

cracklepopper
07-29-2008, 08:20 PM
That guy had so many side deals and alliances they didn't know about, he deserved 27 years. He treated people like they were his slaves whenever money was involved. Several stories about how he pushed people around to get work done on his luxurious $600k yaght.

The best thing I can say is I'm glad Tamika Reilly got much less. Although greedy, she was really a bit player, a glorified bagwoman to help move the money around.

bababooey
07-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Although I feel they only touched the tip of the iceberg as far as his corrupt activities, you have to look at how some of the other Newark pols were sentenced, and what they were charged with. IMO this is in line with the other sentences.

pinhead44
07-29-2008, 09:50 PM
Jersey, land of the greedy politicians, freaks, and fairies.:D

williehookem
07-30-2008, 12:34 AM
This is nothing but a disgrace. The man has been stealing from Newark for years. What happened to the 20 years? Would not surprised me if he paid someone off.

Tamika as far as I am concerned she got a slap on the wrist. 15 months jail time and 27,000 fine. She walks with over $400,000 in profit.

The american dream in all its splendor!

surferman
08-11-2008, 04:09 PM
He is going to appeal? He should have received 20 years. Should be thankful he gets to go home in about 10 months.

Former Newark mayor Sharpe James will appeal conviction

Former Newark Mayor Sharpe James has filed a notice that he intends to appeal his corruption conviction, but in a highly unusual move, his court papers say he's representing himself.

The notice James submitted in federal court in Newark last week marks the first step in his attempt to overturn his conviction on fraud and conspiracy charges through an appeals court. His papers also stated that he plans to challenge his sentence, a 27- month prison term and a $100,000 fine.

On the court docket, the former Democratic powerbroker was identified as "pro se," which means "for himself" in Latin, signaling that he is not represented by attorneys in the matter. The case will be considered by the Third U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which is based in Philadelphia.

It is unclear whether James' action meant that he has permanently severed his ties with Thomas Ashley and Alan Zegas, the prominent legal team that represented him during his high-profile trial earlier this year. Neither Ashley nor Zegas immediately returned calls for comment.

James' co-defendant, Tamika Riley, also filed a notice of appeal for her conviction last week. However, her court papers were signed by Gerald Krovatin, the prominent Newark attorney who represented her at trial and plans to handle her appeal. Riley is not appealing her sentence of 15 months in federal prison and payment of $27,000 in restitution.

U.S. Attorney Christopher Christie has said his office plans to appeal both sentences, arguing that that U.S. District Judge William Martini was too lenient on James and his former mistress. Prosecutors had sought prison terms of about a decade for Riley and up to nearly two decades for James, 72.
A jury convicted James and Riley in April, finding that he arranged the sale of lucrative city land to Riley between 2001 and 2005. Riley bought nine lots in a Newark redevelopment zone for $46,000 and resold them for $665,000. The jury concluded that James failed to fulfill his duty to disclose his relationship with Riley before signing city contracts to sell her the land.

Riley, 39, a publicist from Jersey City, was also found guilty of tax evasion and lying about her income to collect state housing subsidies.

James was initially represented in the case by Raymond M. Brown, but Brown dropped out of the case last year after James claimed he didn't have enough money to pay Brown's firm, Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis. Ashley, who was already involved in the case as a co-counsel at that point, then enlisted Zegas to join the trial team.

surferman
09-15-2008, 01:35 PM
He reports today. Sad to say those Minimum Security Federal Prisons are easy street. Filled with tennis courts and weight rooms and movie nights.