PDA

View Full Version : Struck by lightning while fishing

hookset
08-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Lightning strike victim saved

Bill Logan

SARASOTA, FL -- It’s been almost six weeks since Eric Troyer was struck by lightning while fishing on Siesta Key, and he still can’t believe that he survived.

"It was such a shock," he said as he recounted what he could for reporters gathered at a special ceremony Tuesday. Then, he added, “it was almost not a reality that it really did happen."

The 28-year-old still can’t remember much about the bolt that blasted him back on June 24. But the man who ran to him and rescued him does. Andrew Cratty, out for a late night jog, saw a flash of light and then saw Troyer fall in the water.

“Did I just see someone get hit by lightning?” Cratty asked rhetorically before rushing into action. He gave Troyer CPR before going to get help.

On Tuesday, Cratty was honored by Sarasota County for his heroic actions that night, receiving a plaque and applause from Sarasota County Fire and EMS worker, and Commissioners.

Eric, who stood between his rescuer and his wife of nearly two years at the ceremony, feels grateful to be given a second chance at life.

"I think that God sent him to the beach at that time to save my life."

ledhead36
08-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Lucky guy, he should play the lottery using that date as the numbers.