PDA

View Full Version : You know you're from New Jersey when...

strikezone31
08-07-2008, 04:07 PM
You know you're from New Jersey when...

You don't think of fruit when people mention "The Oranges".
You know that it's called Great Adventure not Six Flags.
A good, quick breakfast is a hard roll with butter.
You've known the way to Seaside Heights since you were seven.
You've eaten at a Diner, when you were stoned or drunk, at 3a.m.
You know that the state isn't one big oil refinery.
At least three people in your family still love Bruce Springsteen and you know the town Jon Bon Jovi is from.
You know what a "jug handle" is.
You know that WaWa is a convenience store.
You know that the state isn't all farmland.
You know that there are no "beaches" in New Jersey -there's the shore and you don't go to the shore, you go "down the shore". And when you are there, you're not "at the shore", you are "down the Shore".
You know how to properly negotiate a Circle.
You knew that the last sentence had to do with driving.
You know that this is the only "New __" state that doesn't require "New" to identify it (like, try...Mexico,...York, .Hampshire - doesn't work, does it?)
You know that a "White Castle" is the name of BOTH a fast food chain AND a fast food sandwich.
You consider putting mayo on a corned beef sandwich a sacrilege.
You don't think "What exit?" is very funny.
You know that people from the 609 area code are "a little different". Yes they are!
You know that no respectable New Jerseyan goes to Princeton -that's for out-of-staters.
The Jets-Giants game has started fights at your school or localbar.
You live within 20 minutes of at least three different malls.
You refer to all highways and interstates by their numbers. (except for "the Parkway" and "the Turnpike")
Every year you have at least one kid in your class named Tony.
You know the location of every clip shown in the Sopranos opening credits.
You've gotten on the wrong highway trying to get out of the mall.
You know that people from North Jersey go to Seaside Heights, and people from Central jersey go to Belmar and people from South Jersey go to Wildwood.
You weren't raised in New Jersey -- you were raised in either North Jersey, Central Jersey or South Jersey.
You don't consider Newark or Camden to actually be part of the state.
You remember the stores Korvette's, Two Guys, Rickel's, Channel, Bamberger's and Orbach's.
You also remember Palisades Amusement Park.
You've had a Boardwalk cheese steak and vinegar fries.
You start planning for memorial Day weekend in February.
You've NEVER, NEVER pumped your own gas.

bababooey
08-08-2008, 12:49 PM
You know you're from New Jersey when...
A good, quick breakfast is a hard roll with butter.
You've known the way to Seaside Heights since you were seven.
You've eaten at a Diner, when you were stoned or drunk, at 3a.m.
You know that the state isn't one big oil refinery.
You know that WaWa is a convenience store.
You know that the state isn't all farmland.
You know that there are no "beaches" in New Jersey -there's the shore and you don't go to the shore, you go "down the shore". And when you are there, you're not "at the shore", you are "down the Shore".
You know that this is the only "New __" state that doesn't require "New" to identify it (like, try...Mexico,...York, .Hampshire - doesn't work, does it?)
You know that a "White Castle" is the name of BOTH a fast food chain AND a fast food sandwich.
You don't think "What exit?" is very funny.
You know that people from the 609 area code are "a little different". Yes they are!
The Jets-Giants game has started fights at your school or localbar.
You live within 20 minutes of at least three different malls.
You refer to all highways and interstates by their numbers. (except for "the Parkway" and "the Turnpike")
Every year you have at least one kid in your class named Tony.
You know the location of every clip shown in the Sopranos opening credits.
You know that people from North Jersey go to Seaside Heights, and people from Central jersey go to Belmar and people from South Jersey go to Wildwood.
You weren't raised in New Jersey -- you were raised in either North Jersey, Central Jersey or South Jersey.
You don't consider Newark or Camden to actually be part of the state.
You remember the stores Korvette's, Two Guys, Rickel's, Channel, Bamberger's and Orbach's.
You also remember Palisades Amusement Park.

:clapping::clapping:

VSdreams
12-11-2013, 09:14 PM

vinegar fries with salt they're the best!

bababooey
12-11-2013, 09:23 PM
I remember palisades park. Was about 5 years old when I went there. Anyone else that old?:laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkNVwV5zquM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PoFqOLsU1k

jigfreak
12-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Hey bababooey check out the ramones doing a song by that name. Gabba gabba hey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJt2W_EyM74

Monty
12-11-2013, 10:02 PM
I remember palisades park. Was about 5 years old when I went there. Anyone else that old?

I think I was there around then too.I do remember Two Guys, Rickles, Bambergers. Ginos burgers.

Monty
12-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Regarding Jersey, where I work I have traveled a lot over the last 30 years. I'll take this place over everhwhere I have been.
Have the country up north, the shore, close to the city. Summer gets hot and humid, winter cold and snowy. Jersey has it all. And the pace of life here is fast, get the most out of our lives.

robmedina
12-12-2013, 06:52 AM
you know you are from new jersey and are old if you know what Brigantine Castle is and even older if you have been there :)

robmedina
12-12-2013, 07:00 AM
Have the country up north, the shore, close to the city. Indeed. We do have a diverse topography. Each of the 4 corners (if you will) of NJ are completely different. within an hour to an hour and a half of where I live (south jersey as described in the opening epigraph) I can be in the mountain with boulders and clear cool streams, or down the shore casting for stripers, or deep in the farmland where no one from jersey would ever thing 'this is jersey' or on the banks of the mighty Hudson in a concrete jungle. Pretty amazing.

And the pace of life here is fast Well, I did consider moving to Maryland. I took a job down there and was renting a room during the week. Well my "jersey fast pace" did not mix well at all with the 'south of the Dixie line' take it easy way of living. That's all I will say about that.

Blazin420
12-12-2013, 07:23 AM
People are always hating on Jersey but for me its the ONLY place id live!! Ill always be a Jersey boy!!..Thats a perfect list BTW!! :D..

robmedina
12-12-2013, 10:13 AM
I was trying to show my son pictures I took at longwood gardens and came across this post after visiting Albuquerque NM http://medinaphotography.blogspot.com/2008/12/albuquerque-new-mexico-trip.html in the end- I say there is no place like home. funny- maybe I just needed a reminder....

seamonkey
12-12-2013, 10:44 AM
you know you are from new jersey and are old if you know what Brigantine Castle is and even older if you have been there :)

My Dad used to talk about that place. Sad it is not there anymore.
Here is a cool slide show I found

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPU5UlAlCho

cowherder
12-28-2013, 10:55 AM
I think I was there around then too.I do remember Two Guys, Rickles, Bambergers. Ginos burgers.

People are always hating on Jersey but for me its the ONLY place id live!! Ill always be a Jersey boy!!..Thats a perfect list BTW!! :D..

monty I remember 2guys but not rickles. You must be old lol!:HappyWave: blazin and monty I agree Jersey is the best. Who else has been at white castle at 3am half drunk and ordering a dozen of them? We call them repeaters because they repeat on you the next day. When they finally leave your system through the back exit the bathroom smells like something crawled up inside you and died.:scared:

rockhopper
02-26-2015, 11:59 AM
No mention of NJ as the Benny capital of the world?:moon:

basshunter
02-27-2015, 07:30 AM

The best! But Philly cheesesteaks are awesome too!

storminsteve
02-27-2015, 07:42 AM

Hey as far as bennies go we have the lock on them. MTVs "Jersey Shore" is world famous.:headbang:

dogfish
03-04-2015, 04:54 AM
^^^^^^ Don't know if I would be so proud of that!
Did any of you guys see the movie jersey shore shark attacks? Every single bad stereotype of Italians is in that movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPNYdejbzsM

storminsteve
03-15-2015, 05:45 PM
Hey I just want to say I am proud of NJ. We may have a fat slob governor who misses fist bumps with political cronys and some awfully crooked politicians and bad beach policies but we are JERSEY! We have the hottest girls, the coolest parties and the best variety of fishing for hundreds of miles. I'm standing up for Jersey Pride. Take that Monty!:kicknuts:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?10004-2015-LI-Fishing-Reports-NJ-Can-S**K-it!

basshunter
05-23-2015, 02:40 PM
I'm on board with the hot girls. Sometimes I stay late even when there's no fish just to look at the bikinis.

lostatsea
05-24-2015, 07:55 AM
That's the only thing good about the beaches after memorial day. I hate the crowds and at sandy hook and island beach the bathers sometimes mug the fishermen. The few hot chicks mixed in def makes it worth it.

storminsteve
05-24-2015, 02:32 PM
I'm on board with the hot girls. Sometimes I stay late even when there's no fish just to look at the bikinis.

That's what I do. The fishing sucked for me today. Went down at noon and fished an isolated beach with no bikinis. Was hoping for some good action at high tide comeing in but no luck. Then went to LB just to take a walk and discreetly stare at the bikinis. Not so great for fishing for me the past week but the bikini viewage is definitely getting better.:cool:

plugcrazy
06-09-2015, 08:27 AM

We are also the shark movie capital of the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5HU_0CX1go

bababooey
06-30-2016, 02:45 PM
that old new jersey

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aRGyD5gTlVc

seamonkey
07-01-2016, 11:18 AM
Awesome thanks for sharing. wish someone would do one of those for the Cape May area there are lots of old-time places that got bull dozed over the years.