PDA

View Full Version : Kite fishing: Results can be a breeze, even without the wind

seamonkey
08-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Kite fishing: Results can be a breeze, even without the wind

By Lee Tolliver (http://hamptonroads.com/2007/10/lee-tolliver)
The Virginian-Pilot
© August 17, 2008

Tell Wayne Seymour to go fly a kite.
Then watch his eyes light up. And when he sprints to his truck, don't expect to find him later at Mount Trashmore looking skyward with a ball of string in hand.
Seymour won't be doing anything of the sort. He'll be out on the water, setting up an elaborate system that only a few Virginia anglers employ.

And Seymour will be doing it successfully.
Using kites to deploy live baits isn't anything new. It's just not a technique many in the mid-Atlantic use.
The method uses a kite that is sent up into the air, with a clip on the line similar to one on a boat's outriggers. Line from a fishing rod is attached to the clip, and the kite draws the baited line out away from the boat - all the while keeping the live bait splattering on or extremely near the surface.
When a fish hits the bait, the line pops off the clip, and the fight is on.

It's a technique used often farther south for white marlin, tuna and any other species prone to attacking bait on the surface. It's a favorite with serious king mackerel anglers.
"A lot of people can't stand to kite fish," said Seymour, 57. "It's a lot of work, and things need to be just right.
"But it does work."

That was evident last week when Seymour was fishing with Ray Heim and Bill Pallette. They were targeting kings, an aggressive, yet elusive species that has been putting on a pretty decent early-season showing along the Virginia coast.
With baits out on kites, floats and submerged, the crew was ready for just about anything - and got it.
When the first knockdown came, Seymour grabbed a rod that had been rigged to a kite-flown bait. The three never saw the fish hit, but it didn't take long to figure out what it was.
Big kings are lovingly referred to as "smokers" because of their lightning speed and ability to make long runs.

"My reel had 400 yards of Power Pro line and 50 yards of backing," Seymour said. "It seemed like in an instant I could see the backing.
"It never jumped, so we weren't sure. But a tarpon would have jumped, and a cobia would have only made a few hard, shorter runs. I figured it was a big king."

Seymour finally was able to turn the fish and get about half his line back on the reel. But that didn't last.
"He took about half of that off on another constant run," said Seymour, a Virginia Beach resident who works at a boating and fishing supply store. "The anticipation during the fight was killing me. I thought it was a big king, but I couldn't be sure until we saw it."
Once near the boat, the fish decided to circle the vessel and got tangled up in lines that were left out in case another fish bit. But Seymour's crew avoided a mess and got the fish to the side of the boat.
It was a king. A big one.
"When it rolled on its side and I saw how wide it was, I started shaking," said Seymour, who said that in 25 years of fishing for king mackerel his biggest prior fish weighed 30 pounds. "I knew it was my biggest king ever."

The fish weighed 61 pounds, the third-largest king ever caught in Virginia. The biggest is a 63-pound, 1-ouncer caught last year by Susan Smith of Virginia Beach. The second biggest was a 62-3 caught earlier this year off the Little Island Pier by James McDonald of Virginia Beach.

The fact that his fish was so close to a state record doesn't bother Seymour.

"It's fine," he said. "A long time ago, I was on the boat when Bryan Trax caught a 49-pounder. I've been fishing hard every year to get one like that.
"If you are going to king fish, you have to be very patient. I've been out a dozen times this year and only caught two. But one was my dream fish. I finally got it."
And nobody had to tell him to go fly a kite.

rockhopper
11-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Anybody ever try that around here?

voyager35
12-17-2008, 06:44 PM
No but I've heard of kites used for billfish. Sounds like a good tool.

buckethead
12-29-2008, 04:43 PM
AC Content - Allen Teal

If you have ever stood on the shore and watched the birds as they fish, you have probably wished that you could trade places with one of them for a while and sail out over the water to find the fish. The good news is that you can. Kite fishing is just about as close as any of us will come to being able to drift easily above the waves in our quest for fish. Using a rather bland looking square kite to suspend the bait just below the waves allows us access to the big ones that do not get away.

To enter the sport of kite fishing, you will need to lay out a little money to start. The kites cost in the range of $60 to above $100. You will discover that there are three primary kite producers for this market. AFTCO, Bob Lewis, and SFE are the leaders in fishing kites and their accessories. You will also need to purchase a rod and reel to manage your kite line. The rods have some variations from regular fishing rods, but many people use standard open-faced reels designed for heavy duty fishing to hold the line.

After you have shelled out the cash for the kite, rod, and reel, the cost becomes much much less. You will need specialized clips that hold the fishing line to the kite. These are designed to give a quick release when you get a strike on the bait. By releasing the line, it gives the ability to fight the fish with one set of equipment while the kite is still flying and attached to its own rod and reel.

You may want to purchase floats for kite fishing. These are generally brightly colored and can vary in size and weight. Their purpose is to identify your line and help you track your bait. Since some kites are made to handle multiple fishing lines, the floats can become somewhat important to let you know which rod to grab when a strike happens. Some anglers have just attached bright marker tape to their lines instead of using floats. It is really a matter of person preference since many floats are less than $2 each.

Kite fishing can happen from the shore or from a boat. One important note is that kite fishing is not trolling. You really do not want the boat in motion. The kite does the work by taking advantage of winds that exceed 10 knots. With decent winds, the kites are easy to launch and will move from the boat or shore in the same way that the kites that you flew as a kid moved away as you let out the line.

When you are kite fishing from the shore, it is relatively easy to fish alone. From a boat, it is best to have a partner so that one can manage the kite after a strike occurs. This is even more true if you fish with multiple lines from the kite. Either way, having some company along when you are fishing is usually nice.

Kite fisherman tend to use live bait. Depending on the bait and the type of fish being sought, you may need some sophisticated techniques to properly attach the bait to the hook or hooks. No matter what type of bait that you use the objective will still be to firmly anchor the bait in such a way that when it is taken, the hook can be set quickly in the prey.

Some will advise you to purchase multiple kites for various wind speeds. With some kites this is necessary. A general rule is that as wind speeds increase, the kite size should decrease. However, most manufacturers today produce kites that can be adjusted to compensate for wind speed.

Finally, like all fishing, you must put your bait where the fish are to make a catch. Most kite fishing takes place where there is either easy feeding for the fish or where there is significant current. This means that to catch fish, you will be well served to fish above or near reefs that offer ready food to attract fish. If not over a reef, you need to look for areas that may have rip tides that will attract fish to feed in a sort of upstream mode.