PDA

View Full Version : How to: Cleaning fishing gear

basshunter
09-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Whenever I go fishing, i do a freshwater rinse of my poles and setups. I was wondering if anyone has any other things that they do every time, or tips to keep the gear lasting a long time?

plugcrazy
09-04-2008, 08:03 PM
I put mine in the shower with me. The warm water does them good.

hookset
10-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Water and Dawn dish soap. With a soft brush I wash the rod and reel and rinse well. Then some WD-40 on the gears.

williehookem
02-01-2013, 08:19 AM
When you put away for the winter make sure there is no salt spray on any of the plugs or gear. change out hooks that need changing before the spring.

BassBuddah
02-04-2013, 04:59 PM
^^^ Good point that salt corrodes everything. That goes for any terminal tackle you have in bags or cases. If its a quality piece of terminal tackle, like the Alberto TA clip etc I wash them off and set out to dry before putting away.

surfstix1963
02-05-2013, 07:43 AM
fresh water rinse don't blast your reels unless they are sealed air dry then a light coat of WD-40. Same for the plugs.

finchaser
02-05-2013, 08:19 PM
You can shower with them like DS and kill 2 birds with one bar of soap, they both get there once a year bath.

OR:

After each trip:

Rods get washed off, reels get a light mist unless it's my Van Staals then they get washed off like the rods. Waders get rinsed good. I am not big on WD40 on reels as it displaces water but it removes oil and grease it is not a lubricant. I prefer Salt X because it removes salt and leaves a protective coating that fights corrosion

At the end of the season:

I scrub my rods with Orpine Boat Soap , then dried and given a coat of paste wax which repels salt next season. (Cork tape or X flock replaced if needed)

Reels get line removed, disassembled, re-greased and oiled then the drags get disassembled and checked and or replaced.The spools get a coat of paste wax to prevent corrosion and new line is put on them if mono all braid gets reversed.

Plugs get rinsed in hot water hung to dry and any rusted hooks are replaced.

All my plug bags get rinsed out and left empty to dry

Waders , all boot and rain gear get a scrubbing and hung on hangers

VSdreams
02-06-2013, 08:06 AM
very detailed info guys thanks for sharing!

finchaser
02-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Tried a new product that works really well

Ardent Reel Guard Corrsion Inhibitor a few tackle shop have it

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ardent-Reel-Guard-Corrosion-Inhibitor-16-oz/15686705

DarkSkies
02-11-2013, 02:11 PM
^ Few are as compulsive and organized as Fin when taking care of their gear.....he has things that are 30 years old and look as new as they just came out of the box yesterday........:d :HappyWave:

Nice job, OGB.......:thumbsup: