PDA

View Full Version : Surf bags: Do It Yourself!

cowherder
09-05-2008, 11:00 AM
So how many people out there wanted something different and put their own bag together? Like to see some ideas, thanks.

dogfish
09-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Friend of mine made one out of the tubes they use for central vacs, glued plexi plate to bottom, drilled holes in it, and put it in his bag. Have to look for some pics.

seamonkey
03-03-2009, 06:01 PM
I want to make my own surf bag. Did anyone do that here?

surfwalker
03-03-2009, 08:14 PM
I still use old (canvas) Army green surplus bags, 8 tube, two small pockets in the front, velcro flap, nothing fancy, functional, like an old friend that's with me whenever I'm plugging. Shows plenty of wear, faded. Worn out spots have been sewed up with old 30lb. PP. The only time it gets washed is when it rains (snows/sleet), or when I'm blindsided by a wave. There's always some sand dabs living in the bottom of it. Someone gave me a beautiful 12 tube Bronco bag, well made, but just too much to carry. So much room that I couldn't stop filling it up with plugs. I would only use my producers anyway and the weight of the extra plugs knocked me for a loop.

Happy Trails

surfstix1963
03-04-2009, 04:53 AM
my canyon bag suits me fine 10 tubes thats enough any more than that and your carrying the basement full of plugs with you.Never made my own bag yet I have enough to do all winter.

baddog23
03-07-2009, 09:34 AM
this not realy a surf bag but i keep it in the truck for back up plugs , holds 36 good sized plugs an keeps them neat if it falls over

nitestrikes
03-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Friend of mine made one out of the tubes they use for central vacs, glued plexi plate to bottom, drilled holes in it, and put it in his bag. Have to look for some pics.

I think the plexi bottom with holes is the key for durability. You would want to use thick plexi. Some of the surf bags on the market have crappy bottom pieces that don't hold up.

storminsteve
03-08-2009, 07:35 PM
They also have fabric that doesn't hold up. They should use something like when they make the bullet proof vests, or some kind of thick canvas. If someone made something that lasted more than 3 years, getting it wet all the time in the salt, I would buy it.

baitstealer
06-05-2009, 09:10 AM
I need a new surf bag. I thinking about making my own. Has anyone ever tried this, if so can you post some pics. Thanks

VSdreams
06-27-2009, 11:02 AM
No but I thought of it. I have seen some old-timers using what looked like old Army bags. I think it's a durable fabric, the only problem I see is how do you make it waterproof?:don't know why: