PDA

View Full Version : Wall Twp NJ proposed hunter access restrictions

captnemo
09-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Found on another site. They want to increase the distance, which may prevent hunters from hunting certain areas. Hunters have enough common sense to respect the laws in the first place. These new restrictions probably came from all the transplanted new yorkers who had never seen hunters before.

Hunting has been going on since we discovered this country, this is just wrong. If you know a hunter who hunts this area, please let him know. If you can't attend the meeting, please register your protest via phone. More access lost. :burn:

The Wall Township Committee passed on first reading an ordinance that will prohibit a person from having a loaded firearm or nocked arrow while within 650 feet of any building, school playground or municipal park. Current New Jersey statues set the limit at 450 feet. This 200-foot increase will dramatically impact your access to hunting and will encourage further restrictions in the future.

On Wednesday, September 10 the ordinance will be considered for final passage. Please attend the Wall Township hearing and voice your opposition to this unnecessary and restrictive regulation.

The hearing will begin at 7:30 p.m. at the Wall Township Municipal Building located at 2700 Allaire Road. If you are unable to attend, please call the Township Committee at (732) 449-8444 and respectfully urge the Committee to oppose this ordinance.

katiefishes
09-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Having looked at this closely I have come to realize that their purpose to protect the children.

We are talking about 200ft. What is that - the length of an average town block. It's not going to "dramatically increase" anything.

This only takes effect near buildings, schools and municpal parks. Where are the priorities?

bunkerjoe4
09-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Having looked at this closely I have come to realize that their purpose to protect the children.

We are talking about 200ft. What is that - the length of an average town block. It's not going to "dramatically increase" anything.

This only takes effect near buildings, schools and municpal parks. Where are the priorities?

Katie, when I first read about this, my thoughts were the same as yours -- What's the big deal? It seems to be directed at protecting children, it's only 200 feet more, etc.

Unfortunately, sometimes in situations like this, the actual motivations behind the legal maneuvering may be very different from the specific reasons stated why the change is needed.

As I understood this, one couple proposed the changes in the original ordinance. One couple -- that's all it took to set things in motion. And I agree that on the surface, a change in the ordinance might not seem such a big deal. However, Ms Lin is an animal rights attorney. I don't know what her motivations were in supporting this couple. However, the nature of her work causes me to wonder if there wasn't an agenda beyond the stated reasons.

There's nothing wrong with standing up for what you believe in. It seems from material I have read, she is passionate about her animal rights beliefs. However, I wonder if the reason given to change the ordinance was to protect animal rights, would the governing body in Wall have given the same attention to the request?

Meanwhile, people like you (and I) are scratching our heads and thinking -- What's the big deal, it's about safety.

But was it about safety, or something else? I don't know, but the agenda seems cloudy to me. I don't know Ms Lin. Since we try to promote open discussion of different viewpoints, she is welcome to come on here and explain what her true motivations were in supporting this couple. We cannot know that without an explanation from her.

But - have you ever heard the saying - "walks like a duck, talks like a duck?" We as humans only know what we see on the surface, unless we are enlightened otherwise.

I for one am glad we have individuals like apmaurosr, groups like NJOA, and citizens who still have the motivation to get mad as hell and not let any individual, animal rights group, or town government trample on our rights.

We all could try to do a little more. In this instance, it seems like 3 people were almost able to strike another blow against our access rights.
But they didn't, thanks to Unity. :thumbsup:

bunkerjoe4
09-11-2008, 08:13 AM
Here is the latest news on this issue posted by our member apmaurosr. Congrats on a fine job of promoting awareness and keeping us informed, Ant! :clapping:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=1672

Unity Among Sportsmen and Sportswomen Defeats Ordinance (The Benefit of Unity)

More than 50 conservationists gathered at the Wall Township Committee Meeting last night to support the last minute removal of an ordinance would have prohibited a person from having a loaded firearm or nocked arrow while within 650 feet of any building, school playground or municipal park.

Hunters, anglers, trappers, and a diver united to present a coalition protecting New Jersey’s hunting heritage from eroding due to the efforts of what appeared to be one family’s vendetta against outdoorsmen and outdoorswomen.

A husband and wife spoke on behalf of the ordinance, and were the only residents on recent records to support the 650’ perimeter rule. They were also joined by Ms. Doris Lin (see bio below.) **

Thanks to all of those who wrote and called the township in support of removal of the ordinance and especially to those that took the time to attend and demonstrate their commitment to conservation. A special thank you to Cindy Kuenstner of the Division of Fish and Wildlife and for her expert advice to the committee and for her attendance.

Sportsmen and sportswomen are slowly gaining respect and reasserting their rightful place in the minds and communities of New Jersey. On behalf of the New Jersey Outdoor Alliance I’d like to express my deep appreciation and sincerest thanks to everyone that attended, corresponded, cheered us on and wished us well. The results are truly a benefit of unity.

Ant
Chair
New Jersey Outdoor Alliance
www.njoutdooralliance.org (http://www.njoutdooralliance.org/)

* * According to a bio on About.com: Animal Rights - Ms. Doris Lin is an animal rights attorney and the Vice President of Legal Affairs for the Bear Education and Resource Group. She has worked for a variety of animal groups over the years, including the Animal Protection PAC, New Jersey Animal Rights Alliance, The Bear Education and Resource Group, The Humane Society of the United States, and the Animal Welfare Institute. She has also founded two student animal rights groups, and has served on the Board of Directors of the Boston Vegetarian Society.

As an attorney, she represented NJARA and the BEAR Group in a lawsuit against the state of New Jersey, successfully invalidating the state's five-year bear hunt plan. She is also a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association's Animal Law Committee, and is the author of "Bear Hunt Controversy Shines the Spotlight on New Jersey's Wildlife Law," published in New Jersey Lawyer Magazine.

Doris has been an animal rights activist for 25 years, vegetarian for 23 years and vegan for 20 years. She shares a home with two humans, two rabbits, and two guinea pigs, and is a life member of the House Rabbit Society.

katiefishes
09-11-2008, 08:18 AM
BJ - You got a point there. It could be like the Shoreham Beach access which has now been totally restricted.

I guess you never know what the politicians are really thinking. They do it slowly hoping that no one will notice.

bunkerjoe4
09-11-2008, 10:30 AM
"BJ - You got a point there. It could be like the Shoreham Beach access which has now been totally restricted. "
Katie, nice of you to bring that up. The Shoreham issue is a serious one. Many people will complain about lost access when it is gone. However, with Wall Twp, and Shoreham, people have are getting chance to do something about it in real-time, to let their voices be heard. Politicians may be good manipulators, but they are fully aware that they could be voted out of office by angry voters.

I for one am glad we have individuals like apmaurosr, groups like NJOA, and citizens who still have the motivation to get mad as hell and not let any individual, animal rights group, or town government trample on our rights.

We all could try to do a little more. In this instance, it seems like 3 people were almost able to strike another blow against our access rights.
But they didn't, thanks to the Unity of sportsmen. :thumbsup:

I would like to invite anyone who was interested in this thread to go to the NJOA website.

http://www.njoutdooralliance.org/

All organizations need contributions to keep them running and help further their goals. NJOA is no different.

Although I am still researching all they have done, I can encourage others to go their site and conduct their own research.

If you are not able to personally participate in standing up for our rights, your tax-deductible contribution can still help to make a difference. Look at what they have accomplished thus far, and make your own decisions. Thank you - bunkerjoe

dogfish
09-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Doris has been an animal rights activist for 25 years, vegetarian for 23 years and vegan for 20 years. She shares a home with two humans, two rabbits, and two guinea pigs, and is a life member of the House Rabbit Society.

^ That paragraph says it all. :kooky:

Great job NJOA:clapping: