PDA

View Full Version : Fishing mentors

dogfish
09-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Who got you started? Who taught you the most about fishing?

For me, it was my Dad. We used to go to the beach a lot when I was smaller. He liked to baitfish with clams.

I remember the first bass I caught when the rod got hit by a bass. It was in a sand spike, and he told me to pull it out. I struggled, and then reeled it in by myself. Only 8 lbs or so, but i was proud.

He taught me about different currents, and a little bit about the beach. He taught me it was always good to fish right after a storm, and we used to go to the beaches picking up clams together for bait.

He's gone now, I miss him. Thanks Dad.:thumbsup:

clamchucker
09-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Mine was Uncle Jim. He was an avid sportsman, fresh and salt. He started taking us to the streams and ponds in trout season, and taught by brothers and I how to fish and conserve, only taking what we could use.

We had fun fishing for carp with him in the winter, when there was nothing else going on. He was a little crazy, and always had his hip flask handy, but he loved to fish. Taught us a lot.

cowherder
12-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Mine were my brothers. We started fishing the small lakes and ponds near our house. Anything we could ride a bike to, we fished. We don't always get to see each other now because they live far. So I consider some of the guys here my fishing mentors. They didn't know me, and helped anyway. And I got my first keepers this year thanks to them. :wheeeee:

jimmy z
12-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Dad had a charter boat many moons ago. When he didn't have a group, he would take us out for fluke, and bottom fishing. When we got a little older it was blues and bass, and alot of trolling for 'em as well. Well, when I got to be a teen, I would mate, and I got to go on tuna trips and such.
Today, many years have passed, and I don't do the boat thing anymore.
Now I strictly surfcast, for bass. I developed a passion for this thing we do, many years ago. And I still have that childlike enthusiasm, when it come to getting out there. :)

Rip-Plugger
12-06-2008, 02:41 PM
My first time was after watching was watching guys at west haven beach catching aligators with white aatom swimmers,I saw what they did and I wanted in.
I bought a St. Croix fiberglass rod[yellow] and a daiwa 7000-C.then some atom swimmers,googoo eyes swimmers,Danny plugsstubby rebels and smileing bills/pork.
went to the bridge and did like everyone else did.
then came the smashes.
I slung out a big dady googoo eyes swimmer and reeled slow on top.it got slammed by an alligator chopper.
what a fight.that was in 1978 an d I have not looked back since!

R-P

gjb1969
12-06-2008, 03:14 PM
my grandfather started me at three and i was given tips by all his old time friends i went from there and i have bin catching fish since than my son and daughter now fish to:fishing::cool:

DarkSkies
12-06-2008, 11:41 PM
When I was very young, my mentor was an older guy in his 80's who kind of became my surrogate grandfather. My Dad couldn't take us fishing, and grandfathers were dead, so this guy took the place. He introduced me to flounder fishing, mackerel, and bluefish fishing on party boats. Him and his fishing buddies knew how to catch fish, though they probably did drink too much every time.

He was one of the first people to teach me to be happy with the day out and the joy of fishing, even if we didn't catch anything. When he called to tell me we were going fishing the next day, I remember being so excited it was like I couldn't sleep. I would be up and waiting for him an hour before he was supposed to show up. He taught me a lot, I missed him greatly when he died.

gjb1969
12-07-2008, 10:37 PM
see thats what its abought if not family someone steps up and teaches u and dose not want a thing in return:heart::clapping::cool:

Monty
12-07-2008, 11:23 PM
My father.
From sunies, to large mouth bass, to trout fly fishing.
Small mouths on the Delaware and Vermont lakes.
Great times, long rides, talking, fishing, adventures.
Taught me how to tie flies, how to fly cast.
Fished with him and my brother many a times. A great bond was formed with the three of us.
He had great patience, we had incredible times.
One of the last times that we fly fished together he caught ~50 trout and me a few less on the Beaverkill.
We talked about that day over and over.
We fished a few times in the surf.
If I start thinking back on all the great times I had with him I realize how lucky I am.

storminsteve
12-16-2008, 09:27 AM
My father.
From sunies, to large mouth bass, to trout fly fishing.
Small mouths on the Delaware and Vermont lakes.
Great times, long rides, talking, fishing, adventures.
Taught me how to tie flies, how to fly cast.
Fished with him and my brother many a times. A great bond was formed with the three of us.
He had great patience, we had incredible times.
One of the last times that we fly fished together he caught ~50 trout and me a few less on the Beaverkill.
We talked about that day over and over.
We fished a few times in the surf.
If I start thinking back on all the great times I had with him I realize how lucky I am.

Wow, beautiful memories. Is your father still alive?

My mentor was my grandfather. People said he could catch a fish from a mud puddle. I believe he could. He would take me out in a boat on the lakes, where I got my first large and smallmouths. We also bait fished the sides of inlets. You never knew what you would catch. Good times.

plugaholic
01-11-2013, 04:12 PM
see thats what its abought if not family someone steps up and teaches u and dose not want a thing in return:heart::clapping::cool:

Exactly. mine was my uncle Leo. He was from the old school. Threw bucktails with a conventional. When he fished clams he held the rod. There were no sand spikes back then. Great thread.

Monty
01-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Wow, beautiful memories. Is your father still alive?

My mentor was my grandfather. People said he could catch a fish from a mud puddle. I believe he could. He would take me out in a boat on the lakes, where I got my first large and smallmouths. We also bait fished the sides of inlets. You never knew what you would catch. Good times.

My father's father died when I was young. He taught my father how to fish, I think I fished with him for sunnys a time or two.
Yes, my father passed away about 8 years ago.
We both started fishing the surf around the same time. He loved Island Beach. Used to take 3 or 4 day trips each end fall down there with my brother-in law and his father. Probably the best times of my life.
Here is one of my favorite pics of him

http://rocksimpson.com/images/Dad_with_Striper.jpg

surfstix1963
01-12-2013, 09:08 AM
Very cool pic Monty a lasting memory.I would say my grandfather boat fishing with him though no surf I picked up on that when I found solitude doing it I'm a loner for the most part when I fish.

buckethead
01-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Great pics monty and surfstix. thanks for sharing.

storminsteve
01-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Where would we be without our mentors? My Dad took us when we were small. He liked to fish inlets a lot. Learned from him, and then took it up a notch to learn to fish the surf. Still learning, thanks to all of you here. Thank you for sharing, great thread.

wish4fish
01-12-2013, 04:10 PM
my older bro, he isnt around anymore but we had sum good times fishin

Monty
01-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Where would we be without our mentors? Still learning, thanks to all of you here. Thank you for sharing, great thread.
Agree big time, thanks to all on the site for sharing.
Also, Rip-Plugger really has helped me a lot the last few years. He really got me into fishing at night amongst other fishy things.

plugcrazy
01-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Surfstix and monty very nice photos about how long ago were they taken?

Monty
01-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Surfstix and monty very nice photos about how long ago were they taken?
I'm thinking that pic is around 2000, give or take two years.

basshunter
08-22-2013, 03:10 PM
Love the posts surfstix and monty. My grandfather started me too but he died when I was young. Then I went with my brothers. I wish my grandfather could of been alive to see us the fish. It was mostly due to his teaching.

robmedina
08-22-2013, 06:27 PM
well not to sound somber but I did not have anyone to take me fishing. But in spite of all that I love it. I always wished I had a Dad that would do stuff like that with me but it just wasn't meant to be. I always wanted to do that with my children though- now that I have 4 (3 girls and finally a Son) none of them like fishing :waaah: oh well, I hope my Son changes his ways- I dream of the days where we can hang out and fish together. Push come to shove, someday I will have my grandchildren- if Im lucky- at least one of my descendants better like fishing!