View Full Version : Gary2 gone

DarkSkies
09-14-2008, 12:08 PM
:( Just heard the news last night. Gary Hull passed away after a long battle with cancer.

Although I didn't know him as well as others, he was helpful every time I ran into him. I appreciate the good advice he gave me about fishing under different conditions.

I belong to a bunchof websites, and he would always give us surf guys a heads up when he had a good day with the bass on his boat, so we would know that big fish were out there and coming our way. I found him to be very humble, a truly nice guy. :thumbsup:

RIP Gary, thoughts and prayers for your family and friends you left behind.

surferman
09-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Sending sincerest condolences and prayers for the family.

bababooey
09-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Sad day for the community. Met Gary at a few shows, have a Gary2Tiger. This guy, as others said, was very generous with his time, and always willing to give good advice to people who wanted to learn plug-building.:clapping:

Thoughts and prayers to his family

voyager35
09-15-2008, 07:14 PM
Great plugs, and the nicest guy you ever want to meet. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

cowherder
09-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Thoughts and prayers for the family.

nitestrikes
09-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Just read the news, how sad.

Gary and Lefty were 2 of the more respected old line plug builders. Theres a lot of up and coming talent, but now Lefty is one of the few NJ oldtimers left. RIP Gary.

clamchucker
09-16-2008, 12:16 PM
My thoughts and prayers to the family and friends of Gary Hull.

buckethead
09-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Al Rostori wrote a nice write up on him.
Fishing world mourns Hull, Mundus

by By Al Ristori Monday September 15, 2008, 8:24 PM

Two New Jersey natives who made an impact on the fishing world passed away last week. Gary Hull of Old Bridge, a celebrated plug maker and striper fisherman, died at just 62 after a long fight with prostate cancer, and the famed "Monster Man," Frank Mundus, was felled by a heart attack at 82 at his retirement home in Hawaii.

Hull was a retired union carpenter who took up crafting wooden plugs. His Gary II Striper Plugs were hot sellers, and anglers lined up at shows to buy the limited numbers available. He was also an outstanding striper angler who caught his 52-pound bass of a lifetime a couple of years ago while fishing on Russ Cannici's boat with Capt. Rich Swisstack.

Capt. Jimmy Hull, of the Rosie R. and Suzy Girl in Belmar, remembers his brother as a great guy always willing to help other anglers, and very generous in donating his hand-made plugs to charities. The wake will be held Thursday from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. at Reilly's Funeral Home, 801 D St. in Belmar.

Was thinking about some of the legends we have lost and I thought that Sept was when Gary Hull passed. Did a search here and found this obit that Capt Al wrote.
RIP Gary you were one of the greats.

seamonkey
09-14-2013, 04:41 PM
I did not know him but have seen his plugs. rip

DarkSkies
09-15-2013, 12:52 PM
Thanks for bringing up the memories buckethead. He was a good guy and one of the most thoughtful fishermen out there. When he knew fish started to come into an area, ie beginning of Spring or Fall, and he found them on the boat, he was always kind enough to send a heads up to the rest of us.

I remember exactly where I was the night I heard the news. A few of us were fishing the back bays, doing pretty well on the bass and blues that night. The area was loaded with peanut bunker and mullet. A friend waded out and told me. At first I didn't want to believe it. However, we all knew he had been very sick. Eventually, I had to accept that it was true.

**Lessons I learned here.....don't ever take someone's existence on this Earth for granted. As we get older, things happen.
Gary, to me, wasn't even that old...but that just shows, that life can change in an instant......

And as a PSA, any guy who is near 50, or over 45, should get his prostate checked.......you owe it to yourself and your family to get over the idea of it being uncomfortable (they knock you out to do it, the colonoscopy procedure is painless and quick)...
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?4789-The-Cancer-thread-Cancer-early-warning-signs-and-detection&highlight=cancer+thread

..and it could save your life...thanks for reading......

cowherder
09-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Hope he is up there fishing in the great surf of the afterlife!

jigfreak
09-16-2014, 02:02 PM
^^^^^^ Same here. Can't believe it has been 6 years. RIP Gary if there is a God you are catching them up in the seas of the Big Guy.