PDA

View Full Version : Memorial and services for Gary Hull

DarkSkies
09-15-2008, 06:21 PM
If anyone was thinking of going, Sudsy posted the info originally.

I c&p it fyi, and those who might not have seen it. Man, this really sucks.:( Anyone who is over 40, please think about the prostate DRE. Could save your life. RIP, Gary.

Heres the details:

The viewing will be held on Thursday Sept. 18th
From 2:00 PM to 4:00 P:M
and 7:00 PM to 9:00 P:M

A Memorial service will be held at 10:30 A:M on Friday the 19th

Both the Viewings and the Memorial service will be held at:

Reilly Funeral Home
801 D St
Belmar, NJ 07719
732-681-3900

All those who know and loved Gary are invited to attend.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=163454&d=1221428827

In lieu of flowers a charitable donation can be made to:
The Prostate Cancer Research Center. (http://www.prostate-cancer.org/aboutus/donate_memorial1.php) (click on this link to be directed to the site)

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=163456&d=1221430339

ledhead36
09-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Al Rostori wrote a nice write up on him.
Fishing world mourns Hull, Mundus

by By Al Ristori Monday September 15, 2008, 8:24 PM

Two New Jersey natives who made an impact on the fishing world passed away last week. Gary Hull of Old Bridge, a celebrated plug maker and striper fisherman, died at just 62 after a long fight with prostate cancer, and the famed "Monster Man," Frank Mundus, was felled by a heart attack at 82 at his retirement home in Hawaii.

Hull was a retired union carpenter who took up crafting wooden plugs. His Gary II Striper Plugs were hot sellers, and anglers lined up at shows to buy the limited numbers available. He was also an outstanding striper angler who caught his 52-pound bass of a lifetime a couple of years ago while fishing on Russ Cannici's boat with Capt. Rich Swisstack.

Capt. Jimmy Hull, of the Rosie R. and Suzy Girl in Belmar, remembers his brother as a great guy always willing to help other anglers, and very generous in donating his hand-made plugs to charities. The wake will be held Thursday from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. at Reilly's Funeral Home, 801 D St. in Belmar.

Mundus started fishing on the Jersey Shore, but gained fame as a shark skipper after moving his Cricket to Montauk in 1951. As a teenager growing up on Long Island, I remember my father taking me into the old New York Sportsman's Show where Mundus had a booth displaying shark jaws, where he would sell shark teeth while booking charters.

Years later I got to know Mundus when we were both chartering out of Montauk. He was a rough character who became the inspiration for Capt. Quint in Peter Benchley's Jaws, but was just what the infant sport of sharking needed. Though famed as a "shark killer" decades ago, Mundus softened over the years. The last time I talked to him, by phone from Hawaii, while I was writing a national magazine article on the changes in sharking since Jaws, Mundus was advocating the use of circle hooks in order to give released sharks a better chance of survival. 