PDA

View Full Version : Inspirational phrases or quotes

DarkSkies
09-15-2008, 09:17 PM
This thing with Gary Hull, Rick Wright, the hurricanes and the suffering I am seeing, sometimes is a downer. Sadness is a part of life. We must go on, but its hard.

So who here has some inspirational stuff that they use to forge ahead when things get ugly, or you think about putting your head in the oven?

I remember early in my recovery, I learned this Sanscrit proverb:

"Yesterday is but a dream, and tomorrow is only a vision, but today well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope."

Kinda gives me hope to focus on when things are at their most desperate.:thumbsup:

DarkSkies
09-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Heres some other cool ones I found:

No dreamer is ever too small; no dream is ever too big

Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, this time more wisely

To reach a port we must sail, sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it. But we must not drift or lie at anchor.

dogfish
09-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Serenity prayer::thumbsup:

bababooey
11-06-2008, 07:50 AM
This is good to say when confronted by the arrogance of some people. Found somewhere else.

"The only true impediment to attaining knowledge is thinking you know everything."
Bene Gesserit

surferman
11-06-2008, 03:58 PM
"It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves."

Francois De La Rochefoucauld

A wise man learns by the mistakes of others,
a fool by his own.

Latin Proverb

seamonkey
11-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Our life's a stage, a comedy: either learn to play and take it lightly, or bear its troubles patiently.

DarkSkies
12-02-2008, 06:37 PM
"Being loved deeply by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage" - Lao Tzu

captnemo
12-04-2008, 11:51 AM
It is always darkest before the dawn. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

bababooey
12-19-2008, 07:28 PM
:clapping: You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star.Friedrich Nietzsche (http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Friedrich_Nietzsche/)
German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

dogfish
01-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Irish blessing:

May the best of your past be the worst of your future...:D

"A double blind date is like a Wrigley's commercial for losers" ;)

clamchucker
01-14-2009, 02:45 PM
I remember Joe mentioning this in a thread.

"Apathy is the enemy of Democracy"

Fishermen, get involved in the causes that affect you before it is too late.

buckethead
01-20-2009, 08:16 PM
Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. - Benjamin Franklin

DarkSkies
08-19-2009, 08:32 AM
JimmyZ sent me this, thought I would post it up. :HappyWave:

Written By Regina Brett, 90 years old, of The Plain Dealer, Cleveland , Ohio

"To celebrate growing older, I once wrote the 45 lessons life taught me.It is the most-requested column I've ever written.

My odometer rolled over to 90 in August, so here is the column once more:

1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.

2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.

3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.

4. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and parents will. Stay in touch.

5. Pay off your credit cards every month.

6. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.

7. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone.

8. It's OK to get angry with God. He can take it.

9. Save for retirement starting with your first pay check.

10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.

11. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.

12. It's OK to let your children see you cry.

13. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.

14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it.

15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks.

16. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.

17. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.

18. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger.

19. It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.

20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer.

21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.

22. Over prepare, then go with the flow.

23. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple.

24. The most important sex organ is the brain.

25. No one is in charge of your happiness but you.

26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words: 'In five years, will this matter?'

27. Always choose life.

28. Forgive everyone everything.

29. What other people think of you is none of your business.

30. Time heals almost everything. Give time time.

31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.

32. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.

33. Believe in miracles.

34. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn't do.

35. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.

36. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young.

37. Your children get only one childhood.

38. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.

39. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.

40. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.

41. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.

42. The best is yet to come.

43. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.

44. Yield.

45. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift."

Jackbass
08-20-2009, 04:35 PM
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but habit"
Aristotle

"If you can't accept losing, you can't win."

Vince Lombardi

The Aristotle quote is something I try to maintain in Business,

Vince Lombardi quote is for fishing.

clamchucker
08-21-2009, 04:24 PM
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but habit"

Aristotle

Excellent philosophy jackbass. I am wondering if you are someone of retirement age, to have the knowledge of Aristotle?

CharlieTuna
08-21-2009, 05:12 PM
:clapping: You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star.Friedrich Nietzsche (http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Friedrich_Nietzsche/)
German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

I like this, the corollary could be that there is no progress in your life without pain.:thumbsup:

Frankiesurf
08-22-2009, 12:23 PM
I see it as without turmoil there will be no enlightenment.

Jackbass
08-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Excellent philosophy jackbass. I am wondering if you are someone of retirement age, to have the knowledge of Aristotle?

Nope I am 34. Aristotle I imagine should be well known. If he isn't people should check him out.

It is a good philosophy. I try to remember it and apply it to employees vendors etc. etc.. I am not special in this world I am an Electrician and I provide a service that is readily available in the marketplace. People select vendors based on one of two things, price or comfort/trust. If my service is not trustworthy or people are not comfortable with what I do for them then I have to work on price. I would rather have customers that are comfortable with me they tend to come back.

surferman
09-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Anger or hatred is like a fisherman's hook. It is very important for us to ensure that we are not caught by it.

paco33
12-11-2009, 11:46 AM
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

from Edward Fitzgerald's translation of the poem The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyam, 1859.

Lives of great men all remind us
We can make our lives sublime.
And, departing, leave behind us
Footprints on the sands of time.

(From "A Psalm of Life," 1839, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow 1807 - 1882)

clamchucker
02-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Ideals are like stars; you will not succeed in touching them with your hands. But like the seafaring man on the desert of waters, you choose them as your guides, and following them you will reach your destiny. ~Carl Schurz, address, Faneuil Hall, Boston, 1859

bababooey
02-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Tis far better to have loved and and lost, thank to never have loved at all.:D

Pebbles
02-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have.

finchaser
02-09-2010, 08:17 PM
He who pee's into the wind gets wet:D

williehookem
02-09-2010, 09:31 PM

:laugh: :clapping::clapping:

DarkSkies
02-10-2010, 07:18 AM

I think we need to see pics for this one. :ROFLMAO

Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have.

You have such a gift for picking the most most timely things to say, Pebbles. :kiss:

paco33
02-11-2010, 04:51 PM
"The solution to any problem, whether it be love, work, money, whatever, is to go fishing. The bigger the problem, the longer the trip should be"

DarkSkies
02-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Something I look at whenever I need inspiration:

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.

Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.

Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.

Education will not; the world is filled with educated derelicts.

Persistence and determination are alone omnipotent.

'Press on!' has been and always will be the answer to every human problem."

(todaysgift@hazelden.info)

DarkSkies
02-26-2010, 06:32 PM
Sent in by surfstix, thanks!

Facts about the 1500s:

The next time you are washing your hands and complain because the water temperature isn't just how you like it, think about how things used to be. Here are some facts about the 1500s:

They used to use urine to tan animal skins, so families used to all pee in a pot & then once a day it was taken & sold to the tannery.......if you had to do this to survive you were "**** Poor"
But worse than that were the really poor folk who couldn't even afford to buy a pot............they "didn't have a pot to **** in" and were the lowest of the low.

Most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May, and they still smelled pretty good by June. However, since they were starting to smell . .. . brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the body odour. Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting married.

Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water. The man of the house had the privilege of the nice clean water, then all the other sons and men, then the women and finally the children. Last of all the babies. By then the water was so dirty you could actually lose someone in it. Hence the saying, "Don't throw the baby out with the Bath water!"

Houses had thatched roofs-thick straw-piled high, with no wood underneath. It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the cats and other small animals (mice, bugs) lived in the roof. When it rained it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the roof. Hence the saying "It's raining cats and dogs."

There was nothing to stop things from falling into the house. This posed a real problem in the bedroom where bugs and other droppings could mess up your nice clean bed Hence, a bed with big posts and a sheet hung over the top afforded some protection. That's how canopy beds came into existence.

The floor was dirt. Only the wealthy had something other than dirt. Hence the saying, "Dirt poor." The wealthy had slate floors that would get slippery in the winter when wet, so they spread thresh (straw) on floor to help keep their footing. As the winter wore on, they added more thresh until, when you opened the door, it would all start slipping outside. A piece of wood was placed in the entrance-way. Hence: a thresh hold.

(Getting quite an education, aren't you?)

In those old days, they cooked in the kitchen with a big kettle that always hung over the fire. Every day they lit the fire and added things to the pot. They ate mostly vegetables and did not get much meat. They would eat the stew for dinner, leaving leftovers in the pot to get cold overnight and then start over the next day. Sometimes stew had food in it that had been there for quite a while. Hence the rhyme: Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old.

Sometimes they could obtain pork, which made them feel quite special.. When visitors came over, they would hang up their bacon to show off. It was a sign of wealth that a man could, "bring home the bacon." They would cut off a little to share with guests and would all sit around and chew the fat.

Those with money had plates made of pewter. Food with high acid content caused some of the lead to leach onto the food, causing lead poisoning death. This happened most often with tomatoes, so for the next 400 years or so, tomatoes were considered poisonous.

Bread was divided according to status. Workers got the burnt bottom of the loaf, the family got the middle, and guests got the top, or the upper crust...

Lead cups were used to drink ale or whisky. The combination would sometimes knock the imbibers out for a couple of days. Someone walking along the road would take them for dead and prepare them for burial. They were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around and eat and drink and wait and see if they would wake up. Hence the custom of holding a wake.

England is old and small and the local folks started running out of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a bone-house, and reuse the grave.. When reopening these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive. So they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the graveyard shift.) to listen for the bell; thus, someone could be, saved by the bell or was considered a dead ringer.....

And that's the truth....Now, whoever said History was boring ! ! !

So . . . get out there and educate someone! Share these facts with a friend like I just did! ! !

crosseyedbass
05-18-2010, 04:53 PM
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day." ~ Author Unknown

finchaser
05-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Here you go

rip316
05-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Awesome Fin. Whwn I saw you responded to this thread I knew it was going to be funny.

johnnysaxatilis
05-19-2010, 07:57 AM
"You do drugs danny?"
"Every day."

"Then what's the problem?"
"I don't know.... (sigh) I'm guna work in a lumber yard the rest of my life"

"Whats wrong with lumber yards, I own 3 of them?"
"I notice you dont spend too much time there"

"Not sure where they are"
"Ahhh"

-Epic dialogue between Ty Webb and Danny-

rockhopper
05-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Here you go

:plastered:

DarkSkies
06-05-2010, 01:24 PM
"The best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray" - Robert Burns

finchaser
06-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Here I sit broken hearted tried to s--t but only farted:(

albiealert
06-05-2010, 03:14 PM

:clapping: Quote of the week! Have you tried ex-lax?:d

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

speedy
06-05-2010, 03:23 PM
WTG FIN :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping: :naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

johnnysaxatilis
06-05-2010, 04:20 PM
you can shake you can dance, but the last two drops always end up in your pants:don't know why:

porgy75
06-05-2010, 04:31 PM

you can shake you can dance, but the last two drops always end up in your pants:don't know why:

:ROFLMAOfunny stuff, do you two know each other?
Here's one - better to get pissed off, than get pissed on.

DarkSkies
06-12-2010, 02:09 PM

The below was sent in by Finchaser, thanks!
Sometimes even Fin has moments of profound thought! :laugh: :HappyWave:

Subject: Fw: Concentrate

"To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did."

When God takes something from your grasp, He's not punishing you, but
merely opening your hands so you can receive more or something else better.

Concentrate on this sentence.

"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not
protect you.

strikezone31
07-03-2010, 02:13 PM
"To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did."

Good one!

Here's one I like -

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

dogfish
07-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Awesome, strikezone.:thumbsup:
I need a few more moments like that before I die.

dogfish
07-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still within them. :plastered:
H.D.Thoreau

DarkSkies
11-28-2010, 03:11 PM
“We can ignore reality,” author Ayn Rand once said, “but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” :learn:

seamonkey
11-29-2010, 04:30 PM
"A double blind date is like a Wrigley's commercial for losers" ;)

:laugh:

Here's one:

Better to keep silent and be thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.:d

storminsteve
12-31-2010, 12:22 PM
I don't know if this is inspirational or not, but it was definitely funny.:clapping:

I slipped near the fire hydrant and landed with one leg up on it. hahahahahahahaha you jack wagon. I am so gonna send you to mamby pamby land u tart

cowherder
01-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Cardoc you sound like a crazy guy. I hope we can all hang out sometime but I don't want to end up buried in a shallow grave!

Here is a quote I like -
The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step - confucious.

DarkSkies
02-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Irish luck - more of a story than a phrase, but inspirational anyway.....
Sent in by Surfstix and Speedy, thanks!

Irish Luck
I want this back. It DOES work.

His name was Fleming, and he was a poor Scottish farmer. One day, while trying to make a living for his family, he heard a cry for help coming from a nearby bog. He dropped his tools and ran to the bog.

There, mired to his waist in black muck, was a terrified boy, screaming and struggling to free himself. Farmer Fleming saved the lad from what could have been a slow and terrifying death.

The next day, a fancy carriage pulled up to the Scotsman's sparse surroundings. An elegantly dressed nobleman stepped out and introduced himself as the father of the boy Farmer Fleming had saved.

'I want to repay you,' said the nobleman. 'You saved my son's life.'

'No, I can't accept payment for what I did,' the Scottish farmer replied waving off the offer. At that moment, the farmer's own son came to the door of the family hovel.

'Is that your son?' the nobleman asked.

'Yes,' the farmer replied proudly.

'I'll make you a deal. Let me provide him with the level of education my own son will enjoy If the lad is anything like his father, he'll no doubt grow to be a man we both will be proud of.' And that he did.

Farmer Fleming's son attended the very best schools and in time, graduated from St. Mary's Hospital Medical School in London, and went on to become known throughout the world as the noted Sir Alexander Fleming, the discoverer of Penicillin.

Years afterward, the same nobleman's son who was saved from the bog was stricken with pneumonia.

What saved his life this time? Penicillin.

The name of the nobleman? Lord Randolph Churchill .. His son's name?

Sir Winston Churchill.

Someone once said: What goes around comes around.

Work like you don't need the money.

Love like you've never been hurt.

Dance like nobody's watching.

Sing like nobody's listening.

Live like it's Heaven on Earth.

It's National Friendship Week Send this to everyone you consider A FRIEND.

Pass this on, and brighten some one's day.

AN IRISH FRIENDSHIP WISH: You had better send this back!! Good Luck!

I hope it works...

May there always be work for your hands to do;

May your purse always hold a coin or two;

May the sun always shine on your windowpane;

May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain;

May the hand of a friend always be near you;

May God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you.

and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your'e dead.

DarkSkies
03-15-2011, 06:38 PM
Sent in by OGB, thanks!

Read quietly then send it back on its journey

To realize
The value of a sister/brother
Ask someone
Who doesn't have one.

To realize
The value of ten years:
Ask a newly
Divorced couple.

To realize
The value of four years:
Ask a graduate.

To realize
The value of one year:
Ask a student who
Has failed a final exam.

To realize
The value of nine months:
Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.

To realize
The value of one month:
Ask a mother
Who has given birth to
A premature baby.

To realize
The value of one week:
Ask an editor of a weekly newspaper.

To realize
The value of one minute:
Ask a person
Who has missed the train, bus or plane.

To realize
The value of one second:
Ask a person
Who has survived an accident.

Time waits for no one.

Treasure every moment you have.

You will treasure it even more when
You can share it with someone special.

To realize the value of a friend or family member:

LOSE ONE.

The origin of this letter is unknown,
But it brings good luck to everyone who passes it on.

Remember....

Hold on tight to the ones you love!

DarkSkies
04-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Sent by Speedy, thanks!

Stones.....

TWO FRIENDS WERE WALKING
THROUGH THE DESERT .
DURING SOME POINT OF THE
JOURNEY, THEY HAD AN
ARGUMENT; AND ONE FRIEND
SLAPPED THE OTHER ONE
IN THE FACE

THE ONE WHO GOT SLAPPED
WAS HURT, BUT WITHOUT
SAYING ANYTHING,
WROTE IN THE SAND ,

TODAY MY BEST FRIEND
SLAPPED ME IN THE FACE .

THEY KEPT ON WALKING,
UNTIL THEY FOUND AN OASIS,
WHERE THEY DECIDED
TO TAKE A BATH

THE ONE WHO HAD BEEN
SLAPPED GOT STUCK IN THE
MIRE AND STARTED DROWNING,
BUT THE FRIEND SAVED HIM.

AFTER HE RECOVERED FROM
THE NEAR DROWNING,
HE WROTE ON A STONE:

'TODAY MY BEST FRIEND
SAVED MY LIFE'

THE FRIEND WHO HAD SLAPPED
AND SAVED HIS BEST FRIEND
ASKED HIM, 'AFTER I HURT YOU,
YOU WROTE IN THE SAND AND NOW,
YOU WRITE ON A STONE, WHY?'

THE FRIEND REPLIED
'WHEN SOMEONE HURTS US
WE SHOULD WRITE IT DOWN
IN SAND, WHERE WINDS OF
FORGIVENESS CAN ERASE IT AWAY.

BUT, WHEN SOMEONE DOES SOMETHING GOOD FOR US,
WE MUST ENGRAVE IT IN STONE
WHERE NO WIND
CAN EVER ERASE IT'

LEARN TO WRITE
YOUR HURTS IN
THE SAND AND TO
CARVE YOUR
BENEFITS IN STONE.

THEY SAY IT TAKES A
MINUTE TO FIND A SPECIAL
PERSON,

AN HOUR TO
APPRECIATE THEM,

A DAY
TO LOVE THEM,

BUT THEN ,

AN ENTIRE LIFE
TO FORGET THEM.

SEND THIS TO
THE PEOPLE YOU'LL NEVER
FORGET.

I JUST DID..

IF YOU DON'T
SEND IT TO ANYONE,
IT MEANS YOU'RE IN A
HURRY AND THAT YOU'VE
FORGOTTEN YOUR FRIENDS.

TAKE THE TIME TO LIVE!

DO NOT VALUE THE MATERIAL THINGS
YOU HAVE IN YOUR LIFE, BUT VALUE
WHO YOU HAVE KNOWN IN YOUR LIFE!

LOVE, HEALTH AND HAPPINESS

dogfish
04-08-2011, 01:30 PM
DS someone should slap you in the face if ya keep posting stuff like this.:upck:Is this a fishing site or a PMS hormone fest?:moon: :laugh: :HappyWave:
We're born
We go to school.
We get laid a few times,.
We get married, have kids.
We stop getting laid.
we retire.
We die.

Add a few fish in between and there ya have it.:thumbsup:

wish4fish
04-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Sent by Speedy, thanks!

[THE FRIEND REPLIED
'WHEN SOMEONE HURTS US
WE SHOULD WRITE IT DOWN
IN SAND, WHERE WINDS OF
FORGIVENESS CAN ERASE IT AWAY

sorry dudes but thats total bs to me, if someone disses u like that, u shud choke the **** out of someone who despretely needs it, lol!

DarkSkies
04-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Sorry if you guys can't appreciate some of these posts. To each his own, it's a free country. :moon: :HappyWave:

Sent in by finchaser and speedy, thanks!

Get out the tissue box!

A drunk man in an Oldsmobile
They said had run the light
That caused the six-car pileup
On 109 that night.

When broken bodies lay about
And blood was everywhere,
The sirens screamed out eulogies,
For death was in the air.

A mother, trapped inside her car,
Was heard above the noise;
Her plaintive plea near split the air:
Oh, God, please spare my boys!

She fought to loose her pinned hands;
She struggled to get free,
But mangled metal held her fast
In grim captivity.

Her frightened eyes then focused
On where the back seat once had been,
But all she saw was broken glass and
Two children's seats crushed in.

Her twins were nowhere to be seen;
She did not hear them cry,
And then she prayed they'd been thrown free,
Oh, God, don't let them die!

Then firemen came and cut her loose,
But when they searched the back,
They found therein no little boys,
But the seat belts were intact.

They thought the woman had gone mad
And was traveling alone,
But when they turned to question her,
They discovered she was gone.

Policemen saw her running wild
And screaming above the noise
In beseeching supplication,
Please help me find my boys!

They're four years old and wear blue shirts;
Their jeans are blue to match.
One cop spoke up, They're in my car,
And they don't have a scratch.

They said their daddy put them there
And gave them each a cone,
Then told them both to wait for Mom
To come and take them home.

I've searched the area high and low,
But I can't find their dad.
He must have fled the scene,
I guess, and that is very bad.

The mother hugged the twins and said,
While wiping at a tear,
He could not flee the scene, you see,
For he's been dead a year.
The cop just looked confused and asked,
Now, how can that be true?
The boys said, Mommy, Daddy came
And left a kiss for you.

He told us not to worry
And that you would be all right,
And then he put us in this car with
The pretty, flashing light.

We wanted him to stay with us,
Because we miss him so,
But Mommy, he just hugged us tight
And said he had to go.

He said someday we'd understand
And told us not to fuss,
And he said to tell you, Mommy,
He's watching over us.
The mother knew without a doubt
That what they spoke was true,
For she recalled their dad's last words,
I will watch over you.

The firemen's notes could not explain
The twisted, mangled car,
And how the three of them escaped
Without a single scar.
But on the cop's report was scribed,
In print so very fine,
An angel walked the beat tonight on Highway 109.

He who has a thousand friends has not a friend to spare.
This morning when the Lord opened a window to Heaven,
He saw me, and he asked: 'My child, what is your greatest wish for today?'

I responded: 'Lord please, take care of the person who is reading this message, their family and their special friends.
They deserve it and I love them very much. '

stripermania
05-25-2011, 10:21 PM
"My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

DarkSkies
06-30-2011, 10:55 AM
Sent in by Fin, thanks!

Where

does the time go?
'Remember yesterday and
dream about tomorrow;

but you better live for
today.'

How quickly the years pass :laugh: :scared: http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png :HappyWave:
Now
smile and send this to

any old friend that might need
a reason to smile!

bluesdude71
06-30-2011, 12:43 PM
Yep, so true. Could have done without the last pic, though.:upck:

stripermania
07-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Enough cottage cheese on those asses to start a cottage cheesefactory!

Here are some cool postere I came across.

DarkSkies
09-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Good ones, stripermania. I like the last one...:clapping: :HappyWave:

Confucious......

When you know a thing, to hold that you know it, and when you do not know a thing, to allow that you do not know it: this is knowledge.
-- Confucius

skinner
11-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Pencil wisdom -----

A PENCIL MAKER TOLD THE PENCIL 5 IMPORTANT LESSONS JUST BEFORE PUTTING IT IN THE BOX :

1.) EVERYTHING YOU DO WILL ALWAYS LEAVE A MARK.
2.) YOU CAN ALWAYS CORRECT THE MISTAKES YOU MAKE.
3.) WHAT IS IMPORTANT IS WHAT IS INSIDE OF YOU.
4.) IN LIFE, YOU WILL UNDERGO PAINFUL SHARPENINGS,
WHICH WILL ONLY MAKE YOU BETTER.
5.) TO BE THE BEST PENCIL, YOU MUST ALLOW YOURSELF
TO BE HELD AND GUIDED BY THE HAND THAT HOLDS YOU.
We all need to be constantly sharpened. This parable may encourage you to know that you are a special person, with unique talents and abilities. Only you can fulfill the purpose which you were born to accomplish. Never allow yourself to get discouraged and think that your life is insignificant and cannot be changed and, like the pencil, always remember that the most important part of who you are, is what's inside of you.

finchaser
11-03-2011, 07:51 PM
an old time favorite

vpass
11-03-2011, 08:00 PM
an old time favorite

That was great.:ROFLMAO

dogfish
11-04-2011, 03:07 AM
Good one finchaser. They say the best form of birth control is wedding cake.:)
As one who has been married over 20 years I know that well.http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

cowherder
12-23-2011, 01:47 PM
:clapping::clapping: That was funny, finchaser.
Or that a girl is at her sexiest, before she is married - it's all downhill from there.:laugh:

Here's one- do nice guys always finish last?

"It is just possible that nice guys don't catch the most fish. But they find far more pleasure in those they do get." -- Roderick Haig-Brown

dogfish
12-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Fishermans prayer

I pray that I may live to fish.......
Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
And peacefully asleep
That in His mercy I be judged
Big enough to keep

bababooey
12-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Pretty deep, thanks.

DarkSkies
02-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Even when fishing is great, there are times when the fish aren't feeding, or you can't present well, or there are some reasons beyond what you're seing, why they aren't there.

But there are other times, when just a little more pushing, or perseverance, will yield success. Your job as a surfcaster is to learn to differentiate between these times, and push just a little more, when the opportunities present themselves....http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

Some Quotes that have helped me...maybe they can also help some folks here as well.....

1. Nothing worthwhile ever happens quickly and easily. You achieve only as you are determined to achieve... and as you keep at it until you have achieved.
Robert H. Lauer

2. Opportunity... often it comes disguised in the form of misfortune, or temporary defeat.
Napoleon Hill

3. That which we persist in doing becomes easier - not that the nature of the task has changed, but our ability to do has increased.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4. Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help with man with the wrong mental attitude.
W.W. Ziege

5. A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Sir Winston Churchill

6, Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7. Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt

8. The successful man will profit from his mistakes and try again in a different way.
Dale Carnegie

9. The line between failure and success is so fine that we scarcely know when we pass it - so fine that we often are on the line and do not know it.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.swimpsychology.com/motivational_quotes.php3 (http://www.swimpsychology.com/motivational_quotes.php3)

DarkSkies
04-19-2012, 10:57 AM
I've said this a lot lately, thought I would lay it down in this thread....

"Fishing is the tonic that feeds the soul...." :fishing:

@Copyright DarkSkies

basshunter
04-19-2012, 03:44 PM
an old time favorite

I've said this a lot lately, thought I would lay it down in this thread....

"Fishing is the tonic that feeds the soul...." :fishing:

Dark and Finchaser good stuff! Most liked the part about women having an expiration date, lol.

plugcrazy
07-19-2012, 09:58 AM

Man that is funny right there!

DarkSkies
10-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Why Do You Fish?
I posted this today.....

One additional thought.....

I know a lot of us are goal oriented, to some it's not a successful trip unless they catch a fish that they can brag about....
But what if you learned something that trip, that you didn't know before?

What if, you realized something about yourself, and your perseverance and determination, that previously you weren't even aware of? :learn:

I'll close with this Quote.........I think in its paraphrased form here...
"Many go fishing all their lives....
Without realizing that it was not the fish....that they were after...."

Attributed to Thoreau....slightly mis-quoted....
Halfway down the page...
http://www.walden.org/Library/Quotations/The_Henry_D._Thoreau_Mis-Quotation_Page

DarkSkies
03-01-2013, 10:32 AM
The Old Bull and the Young Bull....

can apply to many situations in life....:learn:

The Old Bull and The Young Bull

Sitting atop a hill on a beautiful spring day.

Grazing in the valley below is a large herd cows, a bunch of fine heifers.

The Young Bull, looks over the whole valley seeing many, many fine heifers.

The Old Bull surveys the valley as well and smiles.

The Young Bull, now too excited to control himself, looks at the Old Bull and says,
“Hey. Let’s run down this hill and **** one of those heifers!”

The Old Bull looks back at The Young Bull and says,
“No. Let’s walk down the hill and **** them all.”

strikezone31
05-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Read this on the internet -

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man "

madcaster
05-13-2013, 10:45 AM
"You should of been here yesterday"

jigfreak
05-13-2013, 11:19 AM

If i had a dollar for everytime I heard that I would be a rich man.

voyager35
05-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Old Paths

I wish the old paths were before us instead of behind us

http://f1408.mail.vip.bf1.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=2%5f0%5f0%5f1%5f19628%5fALXvHkgAAP%2f tUXXjSAa2tXBdK6w&pid=2&fid=Inbox&inline=1

THE OLD PATHS

I liked the old paths, when
Moms were at home.
Dads were at work.
Brothers went into the army.
And sisters got married BEFORE having children!

Crime did not pay;
Hard work did;
And people knew the difference.

Moms could cook;
Dads would work;
Children would behave.

Husbands were loving;
Wives were supportive;
And children were polite.

Women wore the jewelry;
And Men wore the pants.

Women looked like ladies;
Men looked like gentlemen;
And children looked decent.

People loved the truth,
And hated a lie.

They came to church to get IN,
Not to get OUT!

Hymns sounded Godly;
Sermons sounded helpful;
Rejoicing sounded normal;
And crying sounded sincere.

Cursing was wicked;
Drugs were for illness.

The flag was honored;

America was beautiful;
And God was welcome!

We read the Bible in public;
Prayed in school;
And preached from house to house.

To be called an American was worth dying for;
To be called an American was worth living for;
To be called a traitor was a shame!

I still like the old paths the best!

DarkSkies
05-31-2013, 02:30 PM
A quote I remember from the recent Memorial Day service....

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten." - Calvin Coolidge

CharlieTuna
08-24-2013, 02:51 PM
This is kind of an inspiration but it was a video. Thought it was nice.
About a jar filled with golf balls.

http://play.simpletruths.com/movie/the-empty-pickle-jar/store/

voyager35
08-18-2014, 01:09 PM

Have heard that one many times.
Here's one i like -
"Laughter is the salve
that keeps reality from scarring"

DarkSkies
09-02-2014, 07:28 AM
^ I like that one, voyager.
One from a friend, wishing him well as he starts a new career in the SP - :HappyWave:

Quote for today -

"It's better to command respect, than to beg for acceptance"