PDA

View Full Version : How to: throwing rigged eels

paco33
09-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Fishermans Supply just started stocking rigged eels. Wanted to get one or 2 and try. Anyone here have any experience with them?

fishinmission78
09-20-2008, 03:36 PM
They're a lot better than live eels if you like to be mobile. No bucket to carry around, just put em in a bag in your waders.

cowherder
09-20-2008, 04:15 PM
So can anyone explain the difference between throwing live ones, and rigged ones?

stormchaser
09-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Live ones - just toss them out, let them sink.
Passive fishing - you have a sinker, and the eel is tethered to it with a 3 way swivel, at least 24" away. When the bass hits, you will feel a bunp. Do not strike on the first bump, let it chew, wait 3 secs, and cross its eyes.
Active fishing - no weight - You are basically crawling livies back across the bottom if you are actively fishing them. Wait for the bump, which is when they are inhaling it. Give it a sec more, set the hook.

Dead ones - rigged usually with weights, either e lead head or point jude type flat lead head. The Point Jude type lets is sway back and forth as you retrieve, very seductive.:drool: bass love it, can't resist if they're around.
The difference here is if you feel the bump, set the hook right away.

hope that helped, good luck, report back if you get a fish.

stormchaser
09-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Oh, and you really don't want to use the rigged ones when bluefish are around, could get expensive.:scared:

dogfish
09-20-2008, 04:45 PM
There's also some issues about whether to break the vertebra or not. Most guys who fish them are divided on this.

Another tip; if you fish them in a full moon, rub them in sand a little to make them bluer, it will make a difference.

paco33
09-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Wow. all great advice, many thanks! Anyone here know where to get those tins if you want to rig the eels yourself?

dogfish
09-20-2008, 09:09 PM
Contact the tinman.

Tinmantackle@msn.com

dogfish
09-20-2008, 09:13 PM
Just in case ya still want to use the livies, here's the best rig to fish one, real simple cast, retrieve slowly, wait for the bump..

dogfish
09-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Here's the best way if ya got some deeper water or current and ya want it to stay closer to the bottom, dead sticked. Could also use this setup on a boat or kayak in deeper water.

dogfish
10-19-2008, 12:08 PM
A point about the hooks. If you are using double hooks (doesn't make sense to go thru all that trouble without double hooks), you should connect them with wire. Sometimes the rear hook will become crooked, you should sew it to the body with dacron so both stay straight.

nitestrikes
12-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Is anyone using rigged eels an catching fish with them from the surf right now?

dogfish
12-09-2008, 01:55 PM
A great way to fish rigged eels is deeper water or near an inlet. Where you can find that from shore, you will hit bass. I will take my kayak out and fish them when there is bait around. I haven't caught fish in 3 weeks, I think it's over up here.:(