PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Side of surf fishing

dogfish
09-20-2008, 09:03 PM
This came from another site,by the eelman Bill Nolan. :clapping:

Great read about what can happen when it becomes tooo much of an obsession, like anything else.:plastered:

Written by Bill Nolan

Surf Fishing and the dark side of the sport

Everything can have a dark side, not many people talk about it but our sport is certainly not immune from danger. Not everyone will head down this path but, a lot will, for those on this road, its time to stop at the red light and read on, and don’t say I didn’t tell you so!

Surf Fishing is a wonderful sport, however like anything else excess has its price. I know first hand the changes it can have on the body and left unchecked can have you paying a hefty price later in life it can also destroy family, friendships and a host of other social aspects of life.

It’s easy to withstand the punishment when you’re young, who cares about 15 years from now? That’s never going to come? That’s the mindset I had and then in the blink of an eye I was 41 and dealing with a host of health issues directly related to my habits that started in my late teens I also suffer from guilt of the things I should have done differently in my family and social life. The years of sleep deprivation and horrible eating habits along with selfishness finally sent me the bill.

How about the social problems? I can rattle of more than a few names of friends I know whose marriages ended in divorce and fathers who missed many of there children’s younger years due to an obsession with being at the waters edge above all else.

I have missed important family functions due to a tide I just had to fish. I have missed weddings, funerals, cookouts birthdays, the list goes on and on. I regret all of it and I can never get any of it back.

My mother once told me not to expect many people at one of my events because of my selfish behavior. I look back now and to tell you all the truth, many of those “can’t miss tides” ended in a skunking! It wasn’t worth it at all. Please don’t make the same mistakes!

It’s amazing what maturity can do for a person, I was told these things when I was younger but never listened, now I wish I had. Remember the fish will always be there but kids grow fast and once in a lifetime events never come back, so be there!

It’s funny because the very nature of Surf Fishing is great exercise; I would walk miles night after night in pursuit of Striped bass, Seven Months out of the year at least six nights a week. My weight has always been good and that’s due in no small part to the endless walking and casting involved in surf fishing.

So, what is the problem? First let’s start with sleep deprivation; we all know it’s not healthy to starve the body and mind of sleep. Experts agree that adults need at least 7 or 8 hours of sleep each day. I don’t know about you but during the course of a season I used to be lucky if I averaged 3 or 4 hours a night and a lot of the time it was restless sleep, there was work the next day, a child that wakes up at 6am no matter what, family obligations that need attention on weekends and a host of other things that make sleeping all day a bit impossible.

The world runs by day not by night and that’s when most of the other activities need our attention. Our brains never really re-charge and most of the time we surfcasters walk around in that fog of tiredness all day. My doctor told me the body does many useful things during sleep to help us maintain an even balance, when sleep is lost we lose that balance. I also was told by my wife that without the sleep I was just miserable to be around all day. It’s certainly not fair to be grumpy all day to your loved ones for something we bring upon our selves.

What are the other problems associated with pushing the sleep envelope? The first thing that comes to mind is Safety, Making bad choices can be costly when we are not thinking straight, one might venture a little further when wading or take risks we would not normally take because of lack of sleep. Another words, you don’t think straight. One other problem is the fact that it’s easy to fall asleep at the wheel and injure yourself or someone else on that long drive home at 3am after pounding the suds all night.

One night I was on the way home from a night in the suds at Cape Cod, I must have nodded off in the car because I was shocked back to life by the pounding of a car horn! That was terrifying to me so; I pulled over and went to sleep. After a few nights it caught up to me and I could have been killed, I slept for about 5 hours waking up on the side of the road and feeling like a truck had run me over! It wasn’t pretty. This is just one example of how fast something can go wrong.

Another friend of mine was killed in an automobile accident two years ago. You guest it, falling asleep at the wheel. There is no fish in the world worth that price, get your sleep. It’s far better to fish a few hours alert than to fish in a daze and risk death from nodding off at the wheel.

How about eating habits? I can say without a doubt that my eating habits over the course of my surfcasting tenure have had a direct result on some of the problems I now have High Cholesterol, Type 2 Diabetes etc the price for this now is a needle I have to inject twice a day for the rest of my life. I hate to admit it but I have brought much of this upon myself with the choices I have made.

How many times have I left the house in a hurry without grabbing a bite to eat, in my haste to get to the shore I simply didn’t eat? After fishing for 6 hours I was hungry so what does a surfcaster eat at 2am? You got it, the all night burger joint, not good and it sits there while we sleep. It adds up over time and suddenly the Doc orders your blood work one day and tells your cholesterol is though the roof!

Wow I said but I am in good shape! Then I look at my eating habits and it hits me, night after night of run and gun fast food and doughnuts take there toll. Combine this with endless caffeine to keep going and it’s a recipe for disaster. While some of my type two diabetes is genetic, a lot of it was brought on by my own disregard for doing what’s right but, when you’re young who cares? Take it from me, if this is the road your on, sooner or later it will catch up. The largest problem I faced was surgery this year to correct my intestines from the abuse of eating junk all those years! Surgery is not something fun…trust me.

So now that the bad news is done with, what changes have I made for the positive? First and foremost, I decided about 5 years ago that if I cant catch the fish I am looking for in a couple hours I am heading home, fighting that urge to try one more spot has gotten easier over time and now I limit myself to a few hours a night and I begin fishing earlier, very rarely fishing beyond 11pm anymore.

But what about tide? You ask? I have learned to have places where I can do well at every tide stage, there is always a place for me to go with a reasonable chance at catching fish, I have freed myself of the need to chase tides like I use to. I have also found that my fishing has actually improved; it has forced me to think more about tide and its relationship to stripers.

So now if its low tide at dark I fish that sand bar that gets me closer to that structure I could not normally reach at high water, if its high tide I fish that hole near the beach or that structure that gets covered which produces at high water, you get the picture. I am much more rested and actually enjoying the sport more.

When it gets compulsive as it once did for me, it is no longer a sport; it’s an addiction like anything else and a host of problems result from it. I also make it a point now to eat a healthy dinner before venturing out for a nights fishing, it has made a difference and my numbers are improving I also feel better! If I do have the urge to eat, I pack along fruit or an energy bar now instead of the stop at the grease pit. I also bought a boat and it was worth the every penny I paid if it helps my health.

I do a lot of daytime fishing now and actually enjoy being among the living again and seeing the sun shine! I am not suggesting you do that but I am suggesting you don’t become caught in the compulsion trap of the sport to where it affects everything from your family life to your health, it just isn’t worth the price. I now savor a Sunday afternoon cookout with my family, I like watching my daughter enjoy the pool and I like engaging in conversation with friends with the subject matter being about anything other than fishing related.

I jump at the chance to spend a Saturday with my wife and daughter poking around the yard and heading out for dinner and a movie finally freed by the tide and the bass controlling every aspect of my life. It’s like being born again and I now enjoy fishing so much more because I want to go, not because I have to go! No more grumpy weekends where I wake to find a note telling me my family is out for the day and I missed it. I could care less now who catches what, I am as happy catching nothing as I am if I hit them good, it’s all a perspective.

If you think all of this is hogwash, think again, I have several friends who are in the same boat so to speak. Two of them had by-pass surgery at young ages, one had a heart attack at age 42, several are divorced and left all alone, all of them are rabid surfcasters and all have paid a hefty price. We all had horrible eating and sleeping schedules and we were all victims of putting the fish above anything else. Nothing is good in excess. If you learn at a young age to take the sport in moderation you’ll fair much better in the long run. Many of my friends have made the same changes I have and we are all happier people for it.

Remember fishing is foremost an activity that is supposed to be pleasurable not an all out compulsion, make the right choices and do the right things and above all else learn to put the sport of surfcasting in its proper prospective.Dont make the same mistakes I did, learn to enjoy all things in life, you will thank me in the long run!

Bill Nolan

'

bababooey
09-21-2008, 01:28 PM
I've seen some friends get divorced over this, they thought their wives would be happy they weren't at the tittie bars. It's the same obsession, different object. :dribble:

Great read, some stuff in there is spot on. Thanks for posting.

pinhead44
09-27-2008, 04:56 PM
This could have been me 5 years ago. I know I ruined more than one relationship because of fishing, not paying attention to her.:embarassed:

Great post, thanks for posting.

wish4fish
09-27-2008, 05:23 PM
yeh, had some girlfriends get mad at me for that. at least we're fishing, not throwing bills at the russian dancers.:D

bababooey
10-13-2008, 12:00 AM
Again this rings true. Had a friend tell me today he is fishing so much his wife wants them to go to couples counselling. Get it done, dude.:rolleyes: Or start bringing flowers home with the fish.

paco33
10-16-2008, 12:56 PM
How many guys here have lied and told the wife you had to work overtime when you were really going fishing?:embarassed: Or lied about how much you paid for your gear? I have

seamonkey
10-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Sleep deprivation is my downfall. If the fish are calling nothing stops me. Dogfish's post is something that I should seriously consider.

clamchucker
10-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Very timely article. I have had at least 3 friends over the years get divorced because their fishing and hunting was causing them to neglect their families.

We all love this thing we do, but it's important to balance between the outdoors and family life.

cowherder
10-31-2008, 08:07 AM
I liked that article. If the fishing was as good every day as it was this morning I would be divorced and homeless, because I would never go to work or see my wife.:D

nitestrikes
10-31-2008, 08:38 AM
Great read. I know some guys that should definitely see this, I'll pass it along.:thumbsup:

DarkSkies
10-31-2008, 09:23 AM
OK yes, I did see myself when I read this. Sent it to a friend who fishes 200 days a year. He thought they wrote it about him.:embarassed:

Family and relationships are important too. The're like a garden, or an orchard. If you don't take care of them, those relationships will wither and die. Great article.:clapping:

basshunter
11-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Some pretty deep stuff.

stripercrazy
11-07-2008, 06:55 PM
I have a friend who told me today he and his wife were entering a trial separation. He fishes 6 nights a week. Spot on article.

plugaholic
11-07-2008, 07:45 PM
To quote Metallica: sad but true - great article.

DarkSkies
11-08-2008, 07:02 AM
I made a committment that I will not fish for more than 5 hours at a time anymore. Not much, but it's a start.

storminsteve
12-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Very timely article. I have had at least 3 friends over the years get divorced because their fishing and hunting was causing them to neglect their families.

We all love this thing we do, but it's important to balance between the outdoors and family life.

What he said. You can spend a crazy amount of time fishing, or waste it in other ways. I would rather be fishing. :fishing:

jimmy z
12-10-2008, 06:20 AM
I've read that before. I think awareness is the key. Awareness of an existing OCD. I know, I obsess. But I have priorities, today. And I value this life I have, and my family. As I like to to this thing we do, I know all too well, where the obsession can lead. :)

gjb1969
12-10-2008, 05:32 PM
i guess i am lucky i can fish when and how long i want just as long things are taken care of at home first if not she can call an di go and take care of things:dribble::fishing:

plugginpete
12-10-2008, 09:55 PM
I learned to treat my girl with more respect. Maybe I realized what she has to put up with.:kiss:

surfstix1963
12-12-2008, 03:10 AM
Been there done that one divorce now I have a wife that fishes sometimes, I do my morning thing for a couple of hours when I get the chance and then;) go home and fish the nights that she works.But still come November I put alot of time in and she is ok with that I take my 3 weeks vacation off then,and spend the other 2 weeks with her but she usually takes me to Montauk.

cowherder
12-12-2008, 07:30 AM
Been there done that one divorce now I have a wife that fishes sometimes, I do my morning thing for a couple of hours when I get the chance and then;) go home and fish the nights that she works.But still come November I put alot of time in and she is ok with that I take my 3 weeks vacation off then,and spend the other 2 weeks with her but she usually takes me to Montauk.

A wife who goes to Montauk with you? Sounds like a keeper. You're a lucky guy. :)

DarkSkies
12-12-2008, 08:12 AM
^ Surfstix, I wonder if you realize how lucky you are. You have a good woman, hold on to her. Not many out there like that. :thumbsup:

My girlfriend is very understanding and never hassles me about fishing, even though it's like another addiction for me. I am grateful we found each other. It's hard to get women to understand this thing we do, this thing salled surf fishing.

DarkSkies
12-12-2008, 08:23 AM
I have a friend I sent this article to. He told me it disturbed him, because he saw himself in it.

Well, he was supposed to pass a test which was his entry into making $100k/yr, and now he has to study it again and re-take it. One of the reasons he didn't pass that test is he is addicted, like me,to fishing. He's one of the most fanatic fishermen I know. He has been at the right place at the right time so many times this year I'm a little jealous. He has scored record fish, but he puts in record time looking for them.

People talk about "Do you want to fish, or need to fish?" He, and I, need to fish. I don't know what I would do if I was in an accident, put in a wheelchair, and couldn't fish the surf. :(

The thing with me is if I have responsibility to finish something, I stick with it until it's done, and then go fishing. I have missed so many hot bites because I had things I was in the middle of finishing.

Yet the fish wait for no one. They don't care if you are busy or not, if you have family committments, they are there when they are there, anfd then they are gone.

I know that, and he lnows that, that's why he's in on so many great bites. His family comes first, but after that, priority is catching fish. I'm putting this up there because maybe someone else will see themselves as being this way. No judgements here, we all have to make our own choices.

However, my friend might come back to this thread one day, and read what I wrote. Dude, you could be the governor if you wanted to. Your potential is unlimited, So study up and pass that test, I'm hopin for the best. ;) :HappyWave:

surfstix1963
12-15-2008, 05:21 AM
Oh she is a keeper the most understanding woman I know I see my buddies wives and want to slash my throat.We started Montauk when we got married Honeymoon in Montauk surf fishing in the morning and then I take her diamond jigging for bass and blues.Now we go for the week every year just a little later now too many blues in Sept. we wait it out till November.I am a lucky kind of guy.:HappyWave:

plugginpete
02-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Oh she is a keeper the most understanding woman I know I see my buddies wives and want to slash my throat.We started Montauk when we got married Honeymoon in Montauk surf fishing in the morning and then I take her diamond jigging for bass and blues.Now we go for the week every year just a little later now too many blues in Sept. we wait it out till November.I am a lucky kind of guy.:HappyWave:

Sometimes we don't know how lucky we are, honeymoon in Montauk how many women would be ok with that? :clapping:

jonthepain
02-06-2009, 09:46 AM
I was with my friend Ray next to the Navy pier, on a horrible early winter day. We dug up some sand worms and caught a couple of shorts.

There had been some discussion about closing the beach there to fishing, so a newswoman showed up, and was interviewing the guys up and down the beach.

She asked us what could possibly get us out here on a windy, rainy weekday. Didn't we have jobs, or families to support?

I replied, yeah, not only that, but my wife is due to give birth to our daughter today! Ha ha ha! And I showed her the pager that the hospital had given us. (This is waaay before cell phones.) Forget that I lived at least 2 hrs away from where I was at the moment.

Luckily Jessica wasn't born till a couple of days later.

It never occurred to me how sad that is till I read the above article.

dogfish
03-08-2009, 10:14 PM
I replied, yeah, not only that, but my wife is due to give birth to our daughter today! Ha ha ha! And I showed her the pager that the hospital had given us. (This is waaay before cell phones.)

It never occurred to me how sad that is till I read the above article.

Some would say you're just a hardcore surf guy.:rolleyes: I know what you mean, we get caught up in this at times.

lostatsea
03-29-2009, 08:40 AM
I've read that before. I think awareness is the key. Awareness of an existing OCD. I know, I obsess. But I have priorities, today. And I value this life I have, and my family. As I like to to this thing we do, I know all too well, where the obsession can lead. :)

Jimmyz, you make it sound almost acceptable.:D I like what you said about priorities. A buddy of mine fishes a lot. He also takes his kids as well, so that's good. He lost his wife over it, and can't see that's why she left him. I tried to tell him when it was happening, but he wouldn't listen. He says it doesn't bother him, and hides his loneliness by fishing all the time. When you tell someone something, they don't want to listen, what can you do? :don't know why:

porgy75
04-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Wow:wow:, you guys have some good articles here! :thumbsup:

baitstealer
04-14-2009, 10:56 AM
I fish 5 to 7 days a week. My wife doesn't get it. The heart pounding, and sweat dripping, and thrill of the catch.:heart:

Maybe it is more of the fact that I don't get it. Family is more important than fishing. Sometimes she has to reel me in and demand that I go to the family functions.

Fishing is truly an obsession with me.

fishinmission78
05-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Starting to fish more, I may be single by the end of the season. :don't know why::D

finchaser
05-14-2009, 04:10 PM
Got divorced partially over it and truthfully don't miss her but still love bass fishing even after 50 years of it. Let's hope the new breed of tackle store hero's don't put an end to it again for the sake of a picture in the paper.

albiealert
05-21-2009, 04:35 PM
A friend called me the other day and said he is getting divorced. He fishes 5 days a week. I have not been out yet this season because I had some things going on in my family, and I had to put them first. This is a very telling thread, I'm grateful to dogfish for posting it here.

jonthepain
05-21-2009, 04:48 PM
used to fish every single day, and golf on the weekends. eventually realized that my kids needed me.

and yes, the wife too.

i've got two grown and gone and two teens at home. i really miss the older ones. wish i'd poured into them more, but you can't saw sawdust.

there's no getting the time back. spend the time with them now, there will be plenty of time for fishing when they're gone. and maybe if you put the time in with them now, they might come back and fish with you now and then after they're gone.

i really miss the older ones. maybe if i'd loved on them more then, they'd be loving on me more now.

:(

plugcrazy
06-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Got divorced partially over it and truthfully don't miss her but still love bass fishing even after 50 years of it. Let's hope the new breed of tackle store hero's don't put an end to it again for the sake of a picture in the paper.

there's no getting the time back. spend the time with them now, there will be plenty of time for fishing when they're gone. and maybe if you put the time in with them now, they might come back and fish with you now and then after they're gone.

A freind of mind is getting divorced because he fishes and goes to AC too much. Some good points here guys.

mick2360
06-23-2009, 07:03 AM
Years ago I used to fish daily; I couldn't understand my GF's annoyance, after all, I wasn't out at a bar drinking. It took awhile to dawn on me, after this relationship had ended, that what she really wanted was time with me. I justified my selfishness in a lot of ways but at the bottom line, it was all about me; everyone else could wait until I was done fishing.

We all have choices to make but I don't believe at the end of life we will really want to mark our days with remembering fish we caught. If you have a relationship that is in peril due to fishing, man up and take a look at how you let someone you love fall into second place to a fish. If the relationship is a bad one, end it but do it honestly. Going fishing to avoid taking that action is a cowards way out. If the relationship is one that you value it is time to put your priorities in order.

DarkSkies
06-23-2009, 08:15 AM
If you have a relationship that is in peril due to fishing, man up and take a look at how you let someone you love fall into second place to a fish. If the relationship is a bad one, end it but do it honestly. Going fishing to avoid taking that action is a cowards way out. If the relationship is one that you value it is time to put your priorities in order.

Words of wisdom here. :learn: :thumbsup:

basshunter
09-27-2009, 03:09 PM
A friend called me the other day and said he is getting divorced. He fishes 5 days a week. I have not been out yet this season because I had some things going on in my family, and I had to put them first. This is a very telling thread, I'm grateful to dogfish for posting it here.

I knw a guy who's getting divorced too, his wife says he hunts and fishes too much. I think this song sums it up for me:D
8O3Plt8DyMk

blitzhunter
09-29-2009, 03:44 PM
I have more trouble with my mother than my wife. Mom just doesn't understand the need for me to be out there pulling in the fish. Every Sunday she wants the family to go to church together then a big feast at her house afterwards.

It's great to stay connected but sometimes I just want to go fish. Thank god for my wife who calms the lion down!

rockhopper
12-18-2009, 06:36 PM
I was with my friend Ray next to the Navy pier, on a horrible early winter day. We dug up some sand worms and caught a couple of shorts.

There had been some discussion about closing the beach there to fishing, so a newswoman showed up, and was interviewing the guys up and down the beach.

She asked us what could possibly get us out here on a windy, rainy weekday. Didn't we have jobs, or families to support?

That's why you never talk to those news people!:beatin:

porgy75
01-27-2010, 08:57 PM
I knw a guy who's getting divorced too, his wife says he hunts and fishes too much. I think this song sums it up for me:D
8O3Plt8DyMk

Ha that's a great song!

crosseyedbass
04-11-2010, 02:51 PM
I found last year more and more being pulled into the dark side. Work load has been on the heavy side with lots of stress. Home life not so great, fishing has been my only outlet.

gjb1969
04-19-2010, 11:47 AM
some time u need to fish the dark side just to get away from the people and have a little peace i cant wait till it get nice and warm so i can sit out there and have a good time:fishing:

CharlieTuna
08-02-2010, 09:24 AM
some time u need to fish the dark side just to get away from the people and have a little peace i cant wait till it get nice and warm so i can sit out there and have a good time:fishing:

Getting away from the rest of civilization is definitely a plus.

DarkSkies
02-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Starting to fish more, I may be single by the end of the season. :don't know why::D

used to fish every single day, and golf on the weekends. eventually realized that my kids needed me.
and yes, the wife too.

i really miss the older ones. maybe if i'd loved on them more then, they'd be loving on me more now.
:(

Years ago I used to fish daily; I couldn't understand my GF's annoyance, after all, I wasn't out at a bar drinking. It took awhile to dawn on me, after this relationship had ended, that what she really wanted was time with me. I justified my selfishness in a lot of ways but at the bottom line, it was all about me; everyone else could wait until I was done fishing.

We all have choices to make but I don't believe at the end of life we will really want to mark our days with remembering fish we caught. If you have a relationship that is in peril due to fishing, man up and take a look at how you let someone you love fall into second place to a fish. If the relationship is a bad one, end it but do it honestly. Going fishing to avoid taking that action is a cowards way out. If the relationship is one that you value it is time to put your priorities in order.

I think all of the above posts I quoted offer a lot of self-insight and should be revisited...thanks for them, people...:HappyWave:

Some casualties from 2011 2012....

1. A member of a popular surf fishing club is now divorced, his wife left him because of all the time he spent away from home fishing....:whoo:

2. During this Winter fishing in NJ, I met a guy who was living in his camper to stay close to the fish...his numbers were fantastic...but someone else said the reason he's in that camper is because his wife divorced him, he got the camper, and she got the house....I'm really not sure where the truth lies in this one. I bring this up not to chastize or make fun of the guy...but to point out the possible risks of being out there all the time.....

3. Last week, I met and fished with another guy, who has been driving quite a distance, from out of state, to fish in NJ. Within a few minutes of talking to him, it became apparent he's a great fisherman, his numbers and stories (I know of the dates and times he referred to from also having great numbers those nights) are impressive, and his compulsion to fish puts him out there when most guys would feel it's not worth it....:kooky:

Yet, within 5 minutes of meeting me, he was telling me that his wife left him because of his fishing....no matter, he said, he now has a girlfriend who doesn't mind....so he says...:rolleyes:

These examples, together with the posts I cited, are telling examples of what happens when we let a love of fishing become an addiction....
Please understand, folks, that it's not up to me to judge these guys, I'm fishin, and whoever I run into becomes part of that experience...I feel the stories are vague enough that I can relate them here without potentially embarassing someone....

But they are all true....all true...http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

Many of the guys who have the highest numbers, have made extreme personal sacrifices, to get those numbers of fish....:learn:

And again, it's not my place to judge, as I also have those same addictive/Compulsive tendencies....

rockhopper
05-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Hey guys this video nails it COLD! AWESOME!!!! :drool:

http://vimeo.com/42129694

DarkSkies
05-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Last night, about 5 minutes before I was scheduled to make to move to somplace else, I caught and released a nice 16 lb bass on a big swimmer.
The excitement of that fish brought out my addictive tendencies.
Casted another 100 times looking for another, not a touch.
2 additional hours of hoping when I should have made a move elsewhere. :beatin:

By doing that I missed the tide at the other place I wanted to be.
There is an old saying, don't leave fish to find fish, so I stuck with that last night.

Happy, but still struggling with fishing as an addiction. If you want to catch fish consistently, you need to know when to leave one place and move to the next. With bunker around and fish feeding on them at night it has been very frustrating for me as I struggle to figure out what little patterns there might be.

You hear me talking about blind casting a lot. For bigger fish, in my experience, in the end it is all about random casting in areas likely to hold them.
Very tough to figure if there are less fish around. That is what my experience is out there at night, on artificials.

DarkSkies
05-07-2013, 07:40 PM
This came from another site,by the eelman Bill Nolan. :clapping:

Great read about what can happen when it becomes tooo much of an obsession, like anything else.:plastered:

Written by Bill Nolan

Surf Fishing and the dark side of the sport

Everything can have a dark side, not many people talk about it but our sport is certainly not immune from danger. Not everyone will head down this path but, a lot will, for those on this road, its time to stop at the red light and read on, and don’t say I didn’t tell you so!

How about the social problems? I can rattle of more than a few names of friends I know whose marriages ended in divorce and fathers who missed many of there children’s younger years due to an obsession with being at the waters edge above all else.

I have missed important family functions due to a tide I just had to fish. I have missed weddings, funerals, cookouts birthdays, the list goes on and on. I regret all of it and I can never get any of it back.

1. The world runs by day not by night and that’s when most of the other activities need our attention. Our brains never really re-charge and most of the time we surfcasters walk around in that fog of tiredness all day. My doctor told me the body does many useful things during sleep to help us maintain an even balance, when sleep is lost we lose that balance. I also was told by my wife that without the sleep I was just miserable to be around all day. It’s certainly not fair to be grumpy all day to your loved ones for something we bring upon our selves.

2. What are the other problems associated with pushing the sleep envelope? The first thing that comes to mind is Safety, Making bad choices can be costly when we are not thinking straight, one might venture a little further when wading or take risks we would not normally take because of lack of sleep. Another words, you don’t think straight. One other problem is the fact that it’s easy to fall asleep at the wheel and injure yourself or someone else on that long drive home at 3am after pounding the suds all night.

3. Another friend of mine was killed in an automobile accident two years ago. You guest it, falling asleep at the wheel. There is no fish in the world worth that price, get your sleep. It’s far better to fish a few hours alert than to fish in a daze and risk death from nodding off at the wheel.

4. How about eating habits? I can say without a doubt that my eating habits over the course of my surfcasting tenure have had a direct result on some of the problems I now have High Cholesterol, Type 2 Diabetes etc the price for this now is a needle I have to inject twice a day for the rest of my life. I hate to admit it but I have brought much of this upon myself with the choices I have made.

*But what about tide? You ask? I have learned to have places where I can do well at every tide stage, there is always a place for me to go with a reasonable chance at catching fish, I have freed myself of the need to chase tides like I use to. I have also found that my fishing has actually improved; it has forced me to think more about tide and its relationship to stripers.

*So now if its low tide at dark I fish that sand bar that gets me closer to that structure I could not normally reach at high water, if its high tide I fish that hole near the beach or that structure that gets covered which produces at high water, you get the picture. I am much more rested and actually enjoying the sport more.

* When it gets compulsive as it once did for me, it is no longer a sport; it’s an addiction like anything else and a host of problems result from it. I also make it a point now to eat a healthy dinner before venturing out for a nights fishing, it has made a difference and my numbers are improving I also feel better! If I do have the urge to eat, I pack along fruit or an energy bar now instead of the stop at the grease pit. I also bought a boat and it was worth the every penny I paid if it helps my health.

If you think all of this is hogwash, think again, I have several friends who are in the same boat so to speak. Two of them had by-pass surgery at young ages, one had a heart attack at age 42, several are divorced and left all alone, all of them are rabid surfcasters and all have paid a hefty price. We all had horrible eating and sleeping schedules and we were all victims of putting the fish above anything else. Nothing is good in excess. If you learn at a young age to take the sport in moderation you’ll fair much better in the long run. Many of my friends have made the same changes I have and we are all happier people for it.

Remember fishing is foremost an activity that is supposed to be pleasurable not an all out compulsion, make the right choices and do the right things and above all else learn to put the sport of surfcasting in its proper prospective.Dont make the same mistakes I did, learn to enjoy all things in life, you will thank me in the long run!

Bill Nolan

I thought it would be a good time to re-post this quote and article by Bill Nolan. Read the whole thing on the first page of this thread, Thanks again for posting this dogfish. It is something I was thinking about last night.

DarkSkies
05-07-2013, 07:47 PM
This has special meaning because Fin and I were talking about it the other day.

There is a guy we are friends with who is down on his luck and has lost his job.
Instead of finding a new job, he has been compulsive about his fishing.
OGB mentioned he has been going to bed at 7pm so he can get up to fish the night tides and put himself in a position to catch the few bass that are around now.

As Fin was talking about our mutual friend., I was thinking about my life and that of some of my friends.
Some of the pics you have seen in the reports were of nice early spring fish. The guys who caught them did not luck into those fish. They fished a whole tide or more to get them. Or figured out what the pattern was, often involving late night tides.

Even when you figure a pattern, in the past it was easier to catch numbers.
I don't know about everyone else, but today it has become more difficult for me to find bigger fish from land. That's why you see all the threads here on conservation and the state of the striped bass biomass.

That also probably has a lot to do with the booming interest in kayaking, so you can put yourself in the center of a body of bass and make it easier on yourself.

Things have gotten so difficult for me to find bass (from land), that I rarely bother fishing the daytime any more.

DarkSkies
05-07-2013, 07:56 PM
This has special meaning because Fin and I were talking about it the other day.

There is a guy we are friends with who is down on his luck and has lost his job.
OGB mentioned he has been going to bed at 7pm so he can get up to fish the night tides and put himself in a position to catch the few bass that are around now.

As Fin was talking about our mutual friend., I was thinking about my life and that of some of my friends.
.... often involving late night tides.

I realized that there are some nights I have been in bed at 7pm just so I can get up at 1am and fish certain late night tides until first light.
A friend and I were talking the other day. He has 2 jobs and says he is doing the same thing.

Fishing is fun, but if you have addictive tendencies, it can **** you in, worse than a crack pipe........

I say this because I know.....:learn:

J Barbosa
05-08-2013, 09:30 PM
When you live an hour drive from your favorite fishing haunts not falling asleep at the wheel becomes a serious concern.

The worst is when you plan to fish 9-1am after a long day of work and then around 1am you finally start catching fish. You fish all night until 6am...and you have to be at work by 8am. You get to work and your coworkers ask if you were out drinking last night and you LOL.

dogfish
05-10-2013, 01:38 AM
You get to work and your coworkers ask if you were out drinking last night and you LOL.

Semi-related joke-

Don sneaks in after a night out on the water.
On his way in he rubs lipstick on his collar, and drinks a quick beer so it appears he has been drinking.
He gets into the bedroom and his wife turns on the light.
"Where were you, honey?" his wife asks.
Don says: "Oh honey I was out drinking with the boys.
She walks up to him and sees fish scales on his hands - "Don't lie to me you have been fishing again!"''''''''':beatin: :laugh:

basshunter
05-10-2013, 11:03 AM
^^ Haha! Funny stuff dogfish! Here is a cool video maybe you guys will like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EGIH-x0SVc

porgy75
05-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Hilarious lol!!!:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

DarkSkies
05-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Basshunter, thank you. :HappyWave:
The guy I fished next to is a mutual friend of Finchaser and me. The guy in that video reminds me of him. Looks like him a bit too, only the guy we know has a beard...

Today is his anniversary and he was out fishin....hope he's still married by next year....

finchaser
05-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Basshunter, thank you. :HappyWave:
The guy I fished next to is a mutual friend of Finchaser and me. The guy in that video reminds me of him. Looks like him a bit too, only the guy we know has a beard...

Today is his anniversary and he was out fishin....hope he's still married by next year....He's celebrating like I always tell you your not in trouble until you come home and your clothes are packed in bags on the front lawn. aah the memories,

DarkSkies
08-07-2014, 01:41 PM
^ Finchaser would know about the dark side of surf fishing, folks....one marriage ended because he was fishing most of his free time...
(I think you're better off with the new model you traded in for, pal...make sure you tell her that when you read this....:HappyWave:)

In the last few months, I have been running into some of the most bizarre characters..:HappyWave:..so bizarre that they almost make me and the fishing I do look normal..:laugh:
These are people for whom fishing is more than a casual thing...it's a big part of their lives...

1. Most of them are old-school....
2. Most have or want nothing to do with the internet....
3. And yes....they're still catching bass, big blues, and whatever the biggest thing out there is....to put a solid bend in their rod at night....
4. They are all night fishermen...various areas.....
5, And most have caught impressive numbers and sizes of bass, long after everyone else gave up and switched to fluke fishing......

Am I coming here to blatantly praise these dedicated and talented fishermen?
To an extent, yes....
But there is a darkness to this as well...as Finchaser experienced.....

Every single person I know who is at the top of their game......and fishes frequently....
has had to make some significant sacrifices.....
And cut out some other things in their lives.....

Some have cut relationships....
Divorces, failed marriages....Some continue to be single...
All because they love fishing....but beyond that...are obsessive about the catching part.....these are all highly successful anglers.....
A. It's a priority in their lives....
B. Is one of the most important things that drives them to be out there as often as they are....
C. In many instances, these folks I know....are half-insane....;)
Managing to keep a job or some other structure in their lives...but still half-crazy. :cool:

They have contempt for those who fish in groups....that kind of fishing is really not why a lot of us are out there at night....
One of my friends recently said:
"What's this with the new concept of group fishing? Are these guys dating each other or just fishing? :kooky:

These are the concepts that a lot of us grew up with....
For the most part, the best fishermen I know out there....are loners.....
Unless health reasons require them to fish with just one other person....
Most of these folks, are happiest when alone out there, in pursuit of bigger fish at night.......

Just wanted some others to be aware.....
If you are envious or jealous of what they're catching......
Remember that they had to make some sacrifices, to be able to get to that level......
food for thought.....:learn:

DarkSkies
08-07-2014, 01:56 PM
Being able to fish a bite, at a moment's notice....

I'm not talking about blitz fishing here....but the fishing when a solid bite develops..
Some folks are able to drop what they're doing, and in some cases drive a hundred miles, or several states away...to find fish that are not in the usual areas....
The Cape May/Atlantic County area bite earlier this summer, where most of the Berkeley C&R tourney winners came from, is but one example.....

During the last 2 weeks, a bite developed in a state North of us.....
I first heard of it about 2 weeks ago....I can talk about it now because it's fair to say it's mostly played out....only the locals have a fair shot at the isolated pockets of fish that remain.......

I just couldn't rush up there...I don't have that kind of committment-free luxury in my life...
However there are some people who can.....and do...being able to travel at a moment's notice...
And that's what makes the difference...sometimes it's just one or two nights of good fishing....

The list of out-of-staters up there read like a "Who's Who" list of the surf fishing world....A friend, one of the best fishermen I know...
Recently went up.....he only had 24 hours,,,,and got nothing....while another friend had double digit fish to 30# the night before.....
That's part of what I mean by the insanity of this all....:kooky:
And the reality that we are seeing less fish around....lack of a sustained pattern to plan your fishing by.....
forcing people to gravitate toward bites like this.....

I got feedback that although this bite wasn't highly publicized on the internet....the fishing was shoulder to shoulder....
That's not my kind of fishing.....:viking:..and for that reason I wasn't in a hurry to get up there......

It has become, for some, a mad rush to jump in the car or truck, to get to the one shining area that month, where there is a good bite....if you miss it your numbers for the year will suffer.

**Just thought I would share...the ridiculous attempts some of us will go through to get into some decent fish.....:learn:
It really ain't that easy lately, to catch bigger fish from land....
If some folks can't look at this, and see how bad things have become, for most of us...creating frenzy conditions whenever a decent land-based bite develops..then they will never understand how far down, the quality of fishing for bass has fallen in the last 8 years....

robmedina
08-07-2014, 02:06 PM
not me brother- I have and continue to learn from you guys- my family means more to me than fishing.

DarkSkies
08-06-2015, 11:07 AM
not me brother- I have and continue to learn from you guys- my family means more to me than fishing.

well-said, Rob.:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
08-06-2015, 11:40 AM
Time to bring this up again...
Sharing my personal experience and lessons learned....

There was an incredibly hot bite, from the rocks....during the Winter of 2011...
Fish were caught up tio 35# at night...middle of the winter.....when those rock crabs, squid, rainfish, and herring brought the fish in close every night....50 fish nights were possible, and being achieved, by some of the old timers I knew....
I spent a lot of nights out there because I knew we weren't likely to see a bite that good again....

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8168-Winter-Fishing-Thread

Monty and I were talking about this the other day.....
Because I was out there on those rocks at least 5 nights a week....I caught a few hundred fish that Winter alone.....making my numbers great for that year...

There was also a good schoolie bite...dawn and dusk...but most of the people I was fishing with weren't interested in those smaller fish.....we were targeting the larger ones....

The only way to find those fish consistently was to fish deep in the night...when everyone else was safe asleep in their beds.....as we fished in frigid sub 30 degree weather....and the ocean temps remained in the high to low 40's for most of the Winter...

Good times....great fishin...but if anyone was jealous ....
The "Dark Side" part of that...Is.......
I lost quite a few customers because of that addiction...and put off a ton of new potential business...in order to be out there as much as I was....

With the jetties being covered we aren't likely to see that bite in NJ ever again..or at least a very long time....I knew it was special....I enjoyed that fishing more than most can imagine....I still :drool: when I go back and look at the pics....

And remember how robust that bite was....if you timed it right you could catch 20 fish in an hour....it was something that I'll remember as long as I live.....:fishing:

The reality is....I also paid a heavy price to be out there at night...That's the lesson to be learned here...:learn:
Remember in the future...with opportunities becoming more limited....unless you are local to an area where the bite is...sometimes extreme sacrifices are needed to be on the fish, when they are needed...
You really have to ask yourself if the sacrifices are worth it to you...to be out there for the choice feeding windows...

plugginpete
05-18-2017, 09:55 AM
Remember in the future...with opportunities becoming more limited....unless you are local to an area where the bite is...sometimes extreme sacrifices are needed to be on the fish, when they are needed...
You really have to ask yourself if the sacrifices are worth it to you...to be out there for the choice feeding windows...

Dude the sacrifices are always worth it! Some of our NY boys laying it down. By Animal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWb1kGz11Qk

dogfish
06-01-2017, 09:54 PM
Wanted to remind the joisey guys coming up to fish the canal to behave themselves. No illegal drugs with you.. Pot is still illegal in MA. Please don't do anything stupid, and fish responsibly. Or you could stay home and fish your own states.:moon:

surferman
06-02-2017, 10:04 AM
Fishermen will think of everything but the danger, that's why they call it the dark side lol.