PDA

View Full Version : Releasing a seagull or seabird

ledhead36
09-21-2008, 04:23 PM
So who here has ever gotten a bird tangled in a line or hook? I tangled a seagull today. A few friends helped me get it close and cut the line. Any better ways than that? thanks

paco33
09-27-2008, 04:48 PM
If it's just line, not braid, better to cut it and re-ty if you think the bird can reasonably get out of it once set free. Make sure no unseen bundings on the wings, or you will have to re-catch him.

Otherwise, I always keep a rag or towel handy, put it over the head, bird gets a lot calmer.

albiealert
10-02-2008, 06:38 AM
I second the towel over the head. So many guys get irritated, stupid birds have to eat too. :) Make sure you have the bird's head and neck firmly in your grip.

voyager35
03-10-2010, 08:40 AM
An example of how it is done

8tcKZ2wXID8

cowherder
03-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Thanks guys I got birds stuck in my line twice last year. I ended up cutting the line as close as I could to the bird because I didn't know what else to do.

Simp
03-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Twice here as well. It's not fun fighting a gull that wants to get away. You'll definitely need another pair of hands if you want to get it out without tangling your line too badly. I was fishing braid both times and the first time I let the bird flop on the water a little too long and it really tangled the line around its wing and knotted it up pretty good. Had to cut the wing off. Just kidding. i had to cut the line and start over:burn:.

The second time it happened I reeled the gull in as quickly as I could and the line came off relatively easy.

Both times the birds were released unharmed. I'll bet they had a story to tell though.