PDA

View Full Version : braid or mono for penn 700

bayyaker54
09-23-2008, 09:09 PM
I have a penn 700 whats the best line for it braid or mono the rod is a st.croix 10' avid surf 3/4-4oz

voyager35
09-23-2008, 09:47 PM
You can use either on that setup. If you're looking for distance in rough fall surf, braid would be a good choice. What areas do you mostly fish? Sand? jetties? bay? ocean? Are you just targeting bass, or looking for whatever comes down the pike?

clamchucker
09-24-2008, 01:24 PM
bayyaker, the 700 can hold a good amount of line. Are you targeting albies with that setup?

I might recommend you put some mono on first as filler, and then use an albright or double uni to connect a braid topshot, maybe 30lb powerpro. Try to plan it so you fit 150-200 yards of the braid on without overspooling. That should get you through a season or 2 depending on how often you fish. You will spend less $ on braid that way.

If you need more info, try to be a little more specific, and we'll try to help. Welcome to the site.

bayyaker54
09-24-2008, 04:06 PM
thanks for the help. I usually fish the sand around the sandy hook rip mostly for stripers, with poppers and needlefish. can't wait to use it. the last time it seen any action was about 40 years ago on the Long Branch fishing pier. I also have a South Bend rod from that "decade" . the tip of the pole is as thick as my thumb and it is a 10 footer. I should try and sell it to one of the bridge dwellers on the highlands bridge. again thanks for the input.

DarkSkies
09-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Bayyaker, now is definitely the time to start using needles out front, bass are feeding on bunker and sandeels.

That rod sounds like a classic. If you ever wanted to fish the bridges, that would be perfect. You really should keep it, just in case.