PDA

View Full Version : Surf fishing tips 101

DarkSkies
09-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Lotta people pming me lately. Don't mind helping new people, just not one at a time, with the same answers.:laugh: :D

Thought it would be a good idea to lay it down, one tip at a time.

Surf fishing used to be an elite club, hadda pay your dues, put your time in. :thumbsup: I still believe in that, but sometimes I need to follow my own advice. Maybe if it's here in print, it can help some of the new guys, and I can look at it and remember to follow the simple rules.

I'll kick it off:

20 and done.

Fishin a spot you know is good, give it anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes. No fish during that time, they're not there that night, or that tide. Move on to another spot. Keep moving until you find the fish.

Find the bait.

Fish are in an area when they are travelling from one place to another or feeding. No bait, they can't eat. Keep moving until you find a decent amount of bait.

DarkSkies
09-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Never leave the fish to find the fish.

Part of my compulsion is thinking the grass is always greener on the other side. It ain't.:D When you're catching, unless it's sea robins, stay there until the bite dies out.

paco33
09-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Fish before, or right after a storm. Clams are the best bait for this type of fishing, bass will be hungry. Great thread.:clapping:

basshunter
10-04-2008, 09:34 PM
When fishing bait, don't set up right next to guys who are plugging. When plugging, give the bait guys some space.

paco33
10-10-2008, 10:42 PM
Don't fish heavy bucktals near where there are rocks.:scared:

bunkerjoe4
11-10-2008, 08:00 PM
The above post reminded me of fishing metals over clam or mussel beds. If you are doing that in the late fall and trying to drag the metal to imitate sandeels, that stuff will abrade the heck out of your braided line.

If so, make sure you cut off at least 10 feet and re-tie if you leave that area to go somewhere else. At the very least, check your line with a light for abrasions.

Weakened braid could cause you heartbreak as you lose that fish of a lifetime.

bunkerjoe4
11-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Corollary to the above:

If you are fishing braid out on the rocks, try to put a shock leader (around 36") between the braid and the plug. It will go a long way towards making that great catch and protecting the line from beatings against the rocks.

fishinmission78
11-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Since you seem to be talking about the fall, if you want fall bass and sandeels are around, sometimes they will be right behind the last breaking wave, stacked up around the cut.

Another trick that works is to try to cast so your metal or plug sweeps with the wave, either just behind it, or right in front of it in the troth. Stays in the strike zone that much longer, works great. (though it didn't work for me today).

bababooey
12-02-2008, 11:37 AM
Use a plug or presentation profile that most closely looks like the bait in the water. When that doesn't work, try for something that is opposite what you are using.

albiealert
12-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Do not go out with blinders on. Work your plan to find where the fish are, not where you want to find them.

crosseyedbass
12-16-2008, 11:35 PM
For light hitting fish, use the lightest line possible.

jigfreak
01-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Always carry an extra pole in the car.

wish4fish
01-06-2009, 08:12 PM
and extra clothes when it's cold, don't want to freeze your balls off, lol. :D

vpass
01-06-2009, 10:51 PM
Crush all the Barbs on your plugs so releasing fish a fast as possiable or easy removal if you get hooked accidently.:eek:

surfwalker
01-07-2009, 07:29 AM
When plugging- try a few casts parallel to the beach-with/against current.
Don't get stuck using the same plug over and over again just because it was productive at one time.

vpass
01-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Drift your plug in the current keeping line tight. Also feed some line slowly when current is strong. trying to make the plug look like bait that can't move foward in the strong current. There been times that that was the only way I would get fish.

GeoffT
01-08-2009, 06:45 AM
For light hitting fish, use the lightest line possible.

But what happens if you only bring one rod as most of us are wont to do? You won't know fish are hitting light until you start fishing.

This is where braid comes in. Even a 50 lb test braid typically has the diameter of a 12 lb test - surely thin and light enough, yes?

DarkSkies
01-08-2009, 10:02 AM
^ :thumbsup: What Geoff said. I lost a lot of nice fish when I first started until I went to braid. 50 all around, and 65 for ripping current. Nothing more heartbreaking than losing a fish bigger than ones you've been getting because of line failure.

Another tip for scouting, don't know if anyone mentioned it here yet:

"I still take the time almost every full moon to take a ride to the water and look at things during an extreme low tide. It's amazing how much you will notice and see, if you jsut take the time."

jigfreak
01-11-2009, 03:33 PM
If the crabs continuously steal your bait, go to a single, surf- floater rig. This puts your bait further off the bottom away from the crabs.

plugaholic
01-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Don't fish too many poles, pay attention.

jimmy z
01-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Be sure of the knots you tie.:)

jimmy z
01-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Make sure your drag has decent tension. And make sure before the season starts, you checks your drags.:)

mick2360
01-16-2009, 09:37 PM
Check your drag.

Retie your knots frequently.

Check for line abrasion.

Don't trip over the goog bucket backing the fish of a lifetime onto the beach. :HappyWave:

CharlieTuna
01-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Tide and sandbars. Pay attention to the weather changes, forecast winds, and tidal flow when wade fishing the flats or areas of strong rips. You can get in trouble quick on an incoming full moon tide. I like to fish the falling tide for a margin of error.

DarkSkies
01-23-2009, 06:12 AM
Make sure your drag has decent tension. And make sure before the season starts, you checks your drags.:)

You checks your drags, or you loses your fishes. :HappyWave::D

jonthepain
01-23-2009, 10:39 AM
1. When people ask you what bait you are using, always tell them "Bologna and Cheese."

It's important to keep a straight face, however.

2. If the first fish you catch is a shark, move. An old timer told me that 30 yrs. ago, and I should have taken his advice right off the bat, but being stubborn, I didn't, but now I know better.

fishincrazy
01-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Darksides Quote:
Another tip for scouting, don't know if anyone mentioned it here yet:

"I still take the time almost every full moon to take a ride to the water and look at things during an extreme low tide. It's amazing how much you will notice and see, if you jsut take the time."

This info can make or break not just a trip out but a season!!I have 2 buddies I fish alot with and we always rotate checking different areas we fish.It is especially important to check areas you fish after a blow!Areas which where good with cuts and such could fill in and others could have been born!!!:thumbsup:GOOD ONE DS!!!

FC:D

fishincrazy
01-23-2009, 10:58 AM
When fish are hittin up short eliminate hardware in your presentation!!If using a mono leader switch to flourocarbon tie direct!!Downsize you bait presentation!!!Slow Down till it hurts theen slow down some more!!!!!

God I can't wait till Spring!!!!:eek:

albiealert
01-29-2009, 06:04 PM
If you get a big fish on, use your drag, and let the wave action help you bring the fish to the beach. Many fish are lost right in the wash as the excited angler cranks too hard when the wave is retreating.

basshunter
01-29-2009, 08:05 PM
change out all your trebles over the winter for vmc's and good split rings, like wolverines.

plugcrazy
01-30-2009, 05:48 PM
Never wash your reel in the ocean! Wash it with fresh water when you get home.

7deadlyplugs
03-07-2009, 07:45 PM
When fish are hittin up short eliminate hardware in your presentation!!If using a mono leader switch to flourocarbon tie direct!!Downsize you bait presentation!!!Slow Down till it hurts theen slow down some more!!!!!

God I can't wait till Spring!!!!:eek:

this is a good one fc, thanks!

Also when fishing bait and your sinker gets stuck, be careful yanking ut back so it doesn't smash into your face. Don't ask me how I know this.:embarassed:

bababooey
03-07-2009, 08:47 PM
^^ You being a NY guy would remember about that guy getting killed last year doing that. Hope you didn't damage your brain too much when you made that mistake. :D

I almost did something like that when I had the boat out and the sinker was stuck in the mud. I was lucky when it came back and ricocheted into the gelcoat. :scared:

surfstix1963
03-09-2009, 05:08 AM
Safety first NO FISH is worth your life!!! Fishing on the rocks have the proper equipment I cannot tell you how many people I see wearing waders with korkers on the jetties fall in and see if you can get them off wear rain pants and tops carry a sharp knife to cut anything off yourself you may need to if do go in the drink.Know your beaches too beware of steep dropoffs just don't wade in and think the water is shallow or you may be up to your neck with waders full of water (always wear a wader belt) fairly tight so the water does not fill the waders you can always cut the wader straps and fold them down to make it easier to swim I have pulled one guy out of an inlet with my tow rope from my truck it wasn't pretty one shot deal.Think smart be safe first then fish and enjoy.

dogfish
03-13-2009, 01:10 PM
When the action is slow, reach into your bag for the plug you haven't used all season. It might be just the thing to get things going.

surfwalker
03-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Fire in the water-use smaller plugs. And do me a favor - KEEP THOSE HOOKS SHARP!

Happy Trails

mick2360
03-15-2009, 08:44 PM
When wading flats use your PFD. There are some great models for under $200. If you need it, your life is in danger. I lost one friend a couple of years ago, wading a beach he knew like the back of his hand. A needless tragedy.

jigfreak
03-26-2009, 10:13 AM
For fluke, hook live minnows through the lips, or shiners through the eyes. Add a thin strip of tapered squid beside either one of these baits for extra added attraction.

surfstix1963
03-27-2009, 03:52 AM
If you ever go to Montauk yellow is the color to bring my 2nd choice would be white.Cut off 10 ft.of braid if it is chaffed up every trip,fish the points hard and after the blues go by fish low and slower for the bass are usually right behind them.Do not spot burn people put a lot of time in to figure out the particulars of an area and the best time to fish them so if you are taken to a area by a friend keep your mouth shut.

cowherder
04-11-2009, 08:06 PM
When wading flats use your PFD. There are some great models for under $200. If you need it, your life is in danger. I lost one friend a couple of years ago, wading a beach he knew like the back of his hand. A needless tragedy.

I would have made fun of a guy wearing a pfd wading the flats, until I saw that your friend died. I guess it's a good idea when you go out near the channels or river mouths.

Frankiesurf
04-11-2009, 09:27 PM
If you see a Bass blitz, don't jump in the middle of a hundred guys especially at M. Watch them to see where they are going and meet them there. Even better is waiting for the bass blitz to move on and throw on a bucktail for the big lazy ones straggling behind the young punks and picking up their mess.

Frankiesurf
04-11-2009, 09:29 PM
In rocky areas, flouro leaders get nicked up and are more visible than mono. Save your money and start with mono or even Perlon.

mick2360
04-11-2009, 09:58 PM
I would have made fun of a guy wearing a pfd wading the flats, until I saw that your friend died. I guess it's a good idea when you go out near the channels or river mouths.

CH, I'm with you, man. It'll always be a mystery but all it takes is one misstep in fast water. He was fishing alone in the dark. A very fit, smart man. And yes, I get my share of comments and have never had to rely on my pfd yet. On the other hand, I have fished water where if I fell, I would be swept along to wherever i could get my balance again. Cramps, heart, a lung full of water? Who knows? It can and does happen. Be careful.

mick2360
04-11-2009, 10:14 PM
In rocky areas, flouro leaders get nicked up and are more visible than mono. Save your money and start with mono or even Perlon.

Good point. I nicked up line does not catch as many fish and may even 'sound' different as the abrasions catch the water. I haven't used perlon....what am I missing?

Frankiesurf
04-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Very abrasive and bluefish resistant

jimbob
04-12-2009, 12:04 PM
This is more important if you fish a long way from your car or truck.
It is important to have a good set of pliers with strong wire cutters. If you get a hook stuck in yourself you have to be able to cut it off.
Also if you are just going for a little while in the afternoon bring your flashlight anyway. You could get in on a good bite that lasts after dark.

surfwalker
04-14-2009, 07:26 AM
If you wear shorts when the hot, humid months arrive and the breeze is off the land that brings those damn biting flies that treat your legs like they were spare ribs- carry a pair of lightweight nylon slip on pants. They only weigh 2ozs., dry fast and fold into a pocket and most of the time will protect your legs. It will turn a miserable morning into a tolerable one. I have seen grown men run off the beach in agony from these flies, leaving an area void, except for myself. Hey, ya know what, I like plugging solo, forget about bringing those pants, just wear shorts.

voyager35
04-25-2009, 08:41 PM
The water acts as a back drop at night so a black colored plug has more contrast against the water and stands out more.

GeoffT
04-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Don't limit yourself to dark plugs at night. Mix it up with pearl, chartruese and yellow ones too. I have caught fish on a white swimmer even in the blackest of moonless nights. Lighter-colored plugs can be more effective under full moon nights.

rockhopper
04-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Your right GeoffT, Don't be afraid to change. You have try different colors to find the right ones for that particular night.

stripermania
04-27-2009, 11:31 AM
One of the old favorites of getting the smell of fish off your hands is lemon juice. If that is not around you can wash with toothpaste. If necessary do it twice. Works wonders and the ladies will thank you for it.

GeoffT
04-27-2009, 02:27 PM
One of the old favorites of getting the smell of fish off your hands is lemon juice. If that is not around you can wash with toothpaste. If necessary do it twice. Works wonders and the ladies will thank you for it.

Wow, good tip. Gotta try that. :kiss:

baitstealer
04-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Catch and Release tips: Practicing "catch and release" has become popular with most fishermen today. The results have been very positive resulting in increased numbers of gamefish in our fisheries.

When practicing catch and release follow these simple tips to improve the survival and health of the released fish:

Return the fish to the water as quickly as possible.
When holding a fish or removing the hook use lip grips to reduce contact with the fish.
Contact with a fish will damage its protective coating. If you do need to make contact with a fish, use your bare hands; a glove or towel has a greater impact on their protective coating than your bare hands.
Do not put your fingers in the gills of a fish, this can cause permanent and fatal damage.
Place the fish back in the water gently.
If a fish has swallowed the hook, just cut your line and release the fish. Attempting to remove the hook will damage the fish's internal organs; however a fish has chemicals in its digestive system that will dissolve the hook in a couple of weeks.
Practice these tips and we'll keep our fisheries healthy for years to come.

plugcrazy
04-28-2009, 09:35 PM
To see surface activity in the predawn to early morning hours start by walking east just before sunrise and west once the sun has come up.

jonthepain
04-29-2009, 08:35 AM
when i walk east far enough my hat floats

rockhopper
04-29-2009, 09:14 AM
For clams I put the meaty part on the hook then curve it through the clam. I bring it out the other end once then hook the tail. This seems to be one of the best ways for me to keep the clam on.

plugcrazy
04-29-2009, 12:35 PM
To see surface activity in the predawn to early morning hours start by walking east just before sunrise and west once the sun has come up.

when i walk east far enough my hat floats

:clapping::laugh: I WAS talking about an east to west facing point, but your answer made me laugh.:thumbsup:

jonthepain
04-29-2009, 01:25 PM
:clapping::laugh: I WAS talking about an east to west facing point, but your answer made me laugh.:thumbsup:

my job is done here. http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/jonthepain/Tip-Hat.gif

hookset
04-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Being aware of your surroundings is very important. Make sure you look for splashes. Too many newbies don't pay attention to the splashes. Watch want other guys are doing and what they are using. You can learn alot that way.

surfwalker
04-30-2009, 02:48 PM
For those that plug alot- try not to powercast/overcast constantly- let the stick load up and do all the work- your shoulders and back will appreciate it.

bababooey
04-30-2009, 06:13 PM
my job is done here. http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/jonthepain/Tip-Hat.gif

An entertainer's job is never done. You get a 15 minute break for a cig or a beer, and then it's back to work with the quips.:D

Wentfishn47
05-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Catch and Release tips: Practicing "catch and release" has become popular with most fishermen today. The results have been very positive resulting in increased numbers of gamefish in our fisheries.

When practicing catch and release follow these simple tips to improve the survival and health of the released fish:

Return the fish to the water as quickly as possible.
When holding a fish or removing the hook use lip grips to reduce contact with the fish.
Contact with a fish will damage its protective coating. If you do need to make contact with a fish, use your bare hands; a glove or towel has a greater impact on their protective coating than your bare hands.
Do not put your fingers in the gills of a fish, this can cause permanent and fatal damage.
Place the fish back in the water gently.
If a fish has swallowed the hook, just cut your line and release the fish. Attempting to remove the hook will damage the fish's internal organs; however a fish has chemicals in its digestive system that will dissolve the hook in a couple of weeks.
Practice these tips and we'll keep our fisheries healthy for years to come.

Great post Baitstealer!!

When I handle a fish with my hands I will wet my hands before doing so.

jonthepain
05-04-2009, 09:14 AM
re: catch and release

I always use circle hooks when bait fishing, it's easy to release a fish from a circle hook without even touching them. i'll wade in a bit and grad the shank with the pliers; a quick flick of the wrist and she's off and running!

plugs, i always replace the trebles with singles. sooooo much easier to release, and less chance of me becoming "one" with the fish...but that's another story from my round valley days. rapalas got some seriously sharp trebles!

hookset
05-06-2009, 05:49 PM
After your cast sweep the rod back to pull the slack from the line, instead of reeling it in. This will help reduce the wind knots.

hookedonbass
05-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Carry a good set of pliers with you that you can cut hooks with. They are great to cut hooks which get stuck in our hands if necessary.

albiealert
05-15-2009, 12:07 PM
This article covers lots of ground:

How to Find Fish
So, you've decided to give surf fishing a try. You pack up your gear in your 4x4 and drive to the beach. As you drive along the beach, the water looks pretty much the same to you. How do you find the most likely spot to produce fish?
First of all, schools of gamefish are usually in motion, roaming up and down the surf. Don't expect to find a static "honey hole" that will always produce for you. Look at the surf and you will see two or three sets of breakers moving shoreward, with green water separating them. The places where the waves are breaking are sandbars, and the green water represents channels, or "guts" between them. Fish use the guts as highways to cruise up and down the beach. The guts and bars get progressively deeper as you move offshore, and fishing deeper water increases your chances of catching larger fish. Usually you can wade the first gut, stand on the first sandbar, and cast into the second gut.
The surf is a dynamic environment where constant change is the rule. Wading conditions will change from day to day. You will probably find wading conditions a couple of hundred yards down the beach to be different from where you are. Depending on conditions, sometimes you can wade the second gut and make it to the second bar. The tide and wind conditions are also a factor. Many fishermen believe that the fish are more comfortable in the deeper water of a high tide.
Beach Layout
As you drive down Padre Island, you will notice distinct changes in both the beach and surf profile. The upper end is characterized by flat, fine sand beaches. In the water, the troughs and bars are less pronounced. At Little Shell (14-30 miles), the texture of the sand is coarse, comprised mainly of small shells. The main beach is a berm several feet higher than the surf line. Troughs and bars will be well defined. Continuing down to Big Shell (30+ miles), the guts tend to run deeper, which is why those fisherman seeking bigger game (sharks and tarpon) favor this spot. Remember that the fish may be anywhere, and I can recall trips where I never ventured more than 8 to 12 miles in, and caught all the fish I could handle. Don't pass up good water if you see evidence of fish activity.
Finding Good Water
Look for deep guts, characterized by smooth water and a deeper green color.
Look for breaks in the surf line. These signify a cut or deeper water at the sand bar where the tidal currents can move in and out. Both baitfish and gamefish will use these breaks in the sandbar to travel between the guts.
Last time out, I found a nice washout that produced for me. A washout is a long, flat sandbar, about knee deep at high tide, that extends from the beach 50 or 60 feet before dropping off into the first gut. This particular one was swarming with baitfish as long as it had water on it. As the tide went out and the baitfish were forced into the deeper water of the first gut, the trout were waiting at the dropoff to ambush them (and I was bushwacking the trout with a gold spoon!).
Watch for Baitfish Activity
When a school of hungry gamefish tears into a school of baitfish, the intended prey often cause quite a commotion in their attempt to escape. Watch the water for signs of baitfish flashing in the water or breaking the surface.
Watch the Birds
Birds are always looking for a quick meal, and will take advantage of the opportunity to snatch injured baitfish from the surface. A flock of birds hovering over the surf are a telltale sign of fish activity. Working birds can be spotted a considerable distance down the beach, especially if you have a pair of binoculars.
Surf Fishing Techniques
There are two general surf fishing techniques I employ. You can pick out a likely spot of water, rig up your lines, and set up camp while you wait for the fish to come to you. Or, you can cruise the beach looking for signs of active fish. I've had good luck with both.
Bait Fishing
This is the way I learned to surf fish, and it's still a productive way to catch fish in the surf. My personal best 44 pound redfish (1980) was caught in this manner. You'll need a medium heavy surf rod 8 1/2 to 14 feet long, and a reel that will hold 150-200 yards of 15-20 pound test. To rig up, attach a three way wire leader to your line. Open the snap swivel at the far end of the leader and put on a spider weight. To the snap swivel in the middle, attach your hook and monofilament leader. Bait up the hook, bend out the prongs on the spider weight, then wade out and cast into the gut. The spider weight will anchor itself in the sand and prevent the currents from dragging your bait shoreward. Put your rod in a rod holder, take up the slack line, pop open a beer, and wait for the action to begin. I find this kind of fishing a little more laid back than constantly casting artificials. The down side is you'll often have to deal with bait-stealing hardhead catfish. For bait, you can buy shrimp or fingerling mullet at most bait shops. A better idea is to bring along a cast net and catch fresh baitfish from the surf.
Artificials
Over the last few years, I've been leaning toward using artificials. In fact, last year I never even broke out my heavy surf rod. We threw 3/4 oz. gold spoons almost exclusively, and caught fish steadily the entire week. The rod I use is still long (10 foot), but is not as heavy as a traditional surf rod. In fact it's more like an extra long bass rod (a medium action steelhead rod works great). I like the new graphite composites that are light enough to throw all day without wearing you out.
Advantages are:
1. I don't catch many hardhead catfish on artificials.
2. You don't have to mess with catching and rigging up bait before you can start fishing.
3. If you are cruising the beach and see some activity, it doesn't take much effort to try a few quick casts. All you have to do is stop, grab your rod out of the holder on the front of your truck, and start casting.
4. You can catch a variety of gamefish with them.

5. Spoons are heavy enough to cast into the wind.
Shark Fishing
The serious shark fishermen down at Big Shell use heavier rods and large capacity reels. A recent trend is the use of sea kayaks to paddle their bait out past the surf and into deeper water. I've never tried this particular style of fishing and therefore know little about it. I recommend you seek out one of the experts if this style of fishing appeals to you. (there are several who regularly post to the Surf Fishing section of the Saltwater Fishing Home Page.)
When to Go?
I don't live near the coast anymore, and I can only take one week out of the year to go surf fishing. Usually, since some kind of advance planning is required to coordinate vacations with fishing buddies, you have to pick a week and hope for the best. If you are this kind of surf fisherman too, there are a few things you can do to increase your chances of success.
There are a number of web pages that post current fishing information and beach conditions. Better yet, find a page that the regulars use to share information. Most of them are willing to answer questions and pass on information to less experienced anglers. I prefer to try for a trip in late summer/early fall. The summer weather patterns are the most constant. It doesn't guarantee green water, but the odds are better. The kids are back in school, families are done with summer vacation, so beach traffic is less. And the fish are (hopefully) actively cruising the surf. I also try to plan for a week with a full moon.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx/roddyk/tactics.html

finchaser
05-15-2009, 02:15 PM
re: catch and release

I always use circle hooks when bait fishing, it's easy to release a fish from a circle hook without even touching them. i'll wade in a bit and grad the shank with the pliers; a quick flick of the wrist and she's off and running!

plugs, i always replace the trebles with singles. sooooo much easier to release, and less chance of me becoming "one" with the fish...but that's another story from my round valley days. rapalas got some seriously sharp trebles!

What he ^^^ said no need to be a tackle shop or internet hero by killing everything you catch.

Remember bass were wiped out once and we are heading down that path again:(.

7deadlyplugs
05-20-2009, 10:38 AM
When fishing for flounder I move the rod slowly back and forth or I twitch the tip of the rod.

williehookem
05-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Every ten or twenty casts reel the line through your fingers to tighten the spool. You can still work the plug while doing this.

vpass
05-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Know the Regulations, and carry a tape measure, and don't keep anything thats not legal even if border line. 1/8th of an short is still short.

voyager35
05-26-2009, 10:29 AM
To get better action swap the back hook of your plug with a siwash bucktail.

Frankiesurf
05-28-2009, 07:09 AM
If you wear pants under your waders make sure you leave your fly unzipped when you put your waders on. It is one less thing to do if you have to take a leak and you gotta go bad.

DarkSkies
05-28-2009, 07:54 AM
If you wear pants under your waders make sure you leave your fly unzipped when you put your waders on. It is one less thing to do if you have to take a leak and you gotta go bad.

:thumbsup: That's a great tip especially for old farts like me who gotta go every hour. But ya can't do that at one place in NJ, or you'll be "advertising" to the cruisers there. And don't talk to any of the guys there who ain't fishin. :eek: I can think of one or 2 other areas in the Northeastern shoreline where that might not be a great idea either.

I don't mind sharing beach space with all lifestyles out there, but they are a manipulative bunch at times. I have found they'll use any excuse to initiate a conversation. One word grunts and psychotic stares while talking to yourself work best in these situations. ;)

strikezone31
05-28-2009, 12:55 PM
To pull bass out of a bluefish blitz I use a metal lipped swimmer worked slowly.

surferman
06-08-2009, 11:41 AM
To do well in bass fishing, study the basses habits. You should know where it lives which includes the environment and water temperatures they like to be in. Take time to do some reading on them.

plugaholic
06-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Surf Fishing Tips
By Joe Malat

At right: Spinner blade hooks, fished on two-drop bottom rigs are great for prospecting the beach with a variety of different baits. Pancake weights allow the rig to move slowly across the bottom. Photo by Joe Malat

http://www.chesapeake-angler.com/JMalat_spinnerhooks.jpgMost of the time when I hit the beach, I'll have a predetermined game plan. If puppy drum have been biting on mullet, I'll have drum rigs and the freshest mullet I can find. Or, if jumbo stripers are eating live eels at Oregon Inlet, that's what will be in my bait box. But there are many days when I'll fish for whatever comes along, and the tackle I use will be simple, but proven and effective.
One of my favorite rigs for "prospecting" with bait is a standard, two-hook bottom rig, sold everywhere along the Outer Banks. They are made of lightweight materials and are best suited for smaller fish, but surprisingly large fish have been caught with these rigs.
I finish these rigs with #2 or #3, long shank, spinner blade hooks, either bronze or gold finish. The spinners offer color and movement that might give me an edge and the long shank style is easy to remove from a fish. I might try a different bait; anything from small pieces of mullet to strips of squid, on each hook.
Generally, pyramid sinkers are my first choice for surf fishing, because they do a good job of holding bottom. However, if I had a choice between fishing a rig that stayed in one place, or moved slightly with the current or waves, I'll opt for the moving rig every time. Fish are always moving, and sometimes I want my rig to move, too, as long as the currents aren't strong enough to whisk it up or down the beach like tumbleweeds blowing in the wind.
I always use the lightest sinker I can and still grab the bottom. If a four-ounce is holding like an anchor, I might drop back to a three. If conditions are slick calm with minimal wind and currents, I frequently abandon the pyramids and snap a flat pancake sinker to the rig. Pancakes allow the rig to slide across the bottom, pushed either by the current and waves, or pulled by me.
http://www.chesapeake-angler.com/images2/spacer.gif
http://www.chesapeake-angler.com/JMalat_bottomrig.jpg

Lightweight, two-hook bottom rigs are perfect for bottom feeders, such as this spot. Photo by Joe Malat
When flounder fishing I move the bait, either with slow, steady sweeps of the rod, or by twitching the rod tip. This is an effective technique to catch those flounder that stay in one place and ambush prey as it cruises by.
Long strips of squid, hooked at one end so they flutter in the current, are deadly for flounder when presented with a rig that allows the bait to "swim."
Flounder are not the only fish that like to hit a moving target. Sea mullet often feed in the breaking, white water or along the deeper water drop-off at the edges of sandbars. They may congregate in schools and once you find one, you can catch several by returning to the exact location of that last bite.
With a pancake weight I can cast to the top of the bar and fish the white water for a while, and if nothing takes my bait, ease the rig toward me, off the edge of the bar. The pancake weight doesn't dig in like a pyramid or roll and twist my line like a rounded weight. It moves and lies flat, and allows me to work the rig a bit. If I'm lucky enough to find some sea mullet I can recast and slide my bottom rig back to the same location.
http://www.chesapeake-angler.com/images2/spacer.gif
Bait is great, but I also enjoy casting lures, and one of my favorites is a small Shorty Hopkins in either one-half or three-quarter ounce. I'll fish this small lure with a light rod in moderate surf conditions with an 8-foot spinning rod and reel filled with 8-pound test monofilament.
The Hopkins lure will sail a country mile with the light line, so I can cover a lot of territory from the outer bar to the drop-off at my feet. If I'm fishing an empty beach I'll make a cast then take a couple steps up or down the beach, just so I can cover more water.
A lot of anglers think shiny metal lures are just for bluefish, but I've fooled puppy drum, flounder, speckled trout, Spanish mackerel, striped bass, gray trout and even an albacore or two with these artificials. Silver is my favorite color, but I've also had luck with gold, especially for puppy drum when the water was discolored. The silver or gold lure can be deadly during September and October when the finger mullet are running in the surf.
For some extra protection from the occasional toothy critter, I usually rig these lures with a 20-inch leader of 20-pound test monofilament or fluorocarbon. Some anglers discourage the use of any type of extra hardware when fishing with lures, and that makes sense when the water is crystal clear and the fish are being very picky.
A tiny, black #10 or #12 swivel connects my line and leader, and I attach the lure with a small # 2 black finish snap. The swivel eliminates line twist, the snap allows me to change lure sizes and colors without having to cut lines and re-tie knots, and I don't believe the size of the hardware is significant enough to discourage interested fish.
Of the two prospecting methods I prefer to work a lure. I enjoy casting and retrieving more than holding a rod and waiting for a fish to bite, but the trade-off is that some fish will rarely hit a lure. Sea mullet, spot, and croakers almost always are caught on bait.
In the surf, I'll use reels filled with mono or the "super-braid" lines, but I see the greatest advantage to the no-stretch braids when I'm fishing with bait and the line allows me to feel even the slightest nibble. Sea mullet will typically slam a bait when they bite, but there are times when they ever so gently pick up a bait and swim toward the beach, causing the line to suddenly go slack.
After forty years of fishing the surf, I've found that most of the time I use only a handful of rigs and lures. The reason is simple. They catch fish and I couldn't do without my simple two-hook bottom rigs and small Hopkins lures.

http://www.chesapeake-angler.com/storymar06-surffishingtips.htm

jonthepain
06-11-2009, 02:05 PM
...and small Hopkins lures.

I love small Hopkins too.

stripermania
06-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Fill your reel, full reels cast better, both conventional and spinning.

Frankiesurf
06-15-2009, 06:55 AM
Fill your reel, full reels cast better, both conventional and spinning.

Unless you use braid on your spinning reel. You must leave 1/8" to 1/4" from the lip of the spool.

nitestrikes
06-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Unless you use braid on your spinning reel. You must leave 1/8" to 1/4" from the lip of the spool.

Important detail there that can save you a lot of grief.:thumbsup:
My tip-- I like to plug and use artificials, but there are times when weeds prevent me from being near the bottom. So I try to make sure whatever I'm throwing has a hook that will interfere less with the weeds. Goes back to my freshwater bass fishing days and the weedless frogs and hook guard setups we used to throw. If you can't do that, throw topwater plugs that move slowly at first light. fish won't always take poppers, so you have to think creatively.

finchaser
06-27-2009, 07:37 PM
No matter how old you are or long you been fishing pay attention to the little things other anglers do. Observe what nature reveals and you will keep learning and become better at the game.
Most importantly never pee into the wind.

hookset
07-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Flounder are sight feeders. If they can't see the bait, you won't catch flounder. Use chartreuse or silver spinner blades and white or chartreuse bucktailed hooks along with your bait to help you catch more flounder.

seamonkey
07-26-2009, 11:36 AM
After the bite, when it’s time to set the hook, keep in mind the type of fishing line you are using -- and act accordingly. Braided line transfers 100 percent of your hookset energy, while monofilament absorbs much of it in the stretch of the line.

buckethead
08-22-2009, 07:33 PM
DON'S TIPS FOR STRIPED BASS SUCCESS

The striped bass is indeed a unique and marvelous creature. Although there are no set concrete methods to catch one, here are a few tips which will improve your chances. The information below was compiled from the included booklist and my own personal experiences.

Bait

Use the freshest bait possible. Live bait has always been my rule and works the best. I like to have something that moves on its own at the end of my line. Large sea worms and live eels will bring results. Live eels are the number one "over the counter" live bait. Live herring are undoubtedly among the top bait for big fish but not as easy for the surfcaster to acquire. Frozen or fresh cut bait is excellent also. My survey in 1996 had the types even in popularity.
You should try to handle the bait as little as possible with your hands. The striper has an excellent sense of smell and water will magnify any fragrances. Your mosquito, tanning lotions, and even sweat will be sensed by stripers. It will not take your bait if it smells you. There is a substance called L Serine which is in the oils of our skin. This gives everyone their own distinct body odor. This substance will rub off onto your bait and it will send fish flying. The research on this subject is controversial in some corners, but when I use gloves to bait my hook I do catch more fish. Hook placement is critical. If the striper sees or feels the hook she'll drop it.
Research has shown that male stripers do not live as long as their female counterparts. It is most likely that the keepers you are taking home are females, breeders, that produce thousands of baby stripers each season. If you take her home, it's less fish for the future. Males can reach "moby striper" dimensions but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule. The stripers you take home mean less for future generations. I always carry a camera and have an extensive record of what I've caught. If you need to eat fish, go to a restaurant.

Casting

It never ceases to amaze me how grown men, who possess good minds, will stand on a beach or a bridge and try to cast their line to China. Look for disturbances along the beach, rips, rocks, etc. That's where the fish will be. I've been on bridges with other fishermen and watched them cast to the moon for fish that were swimming around the pilings they were standing upon. Be observant. Remember, they frequent shallow water. If there is a good rock or disturbance a ways out go for it, but most likely your chances are just as good much closer. It depends upon the terrain or sub terrain. Casting should be only as far as the third breaker and can be closer depending on the location. My daughter hooked a 32" striper, bottom fishing, with her line just 10 yards from shore.

Tides

There are many written rules about tides, yet in my experience its anything goes. Stripers like moving water. They will always have their nose pointed toward the current. If the tide is incoming, or out going, cast your bait up-current of where you think they are and let it drift into them. Stripers are traditionally lazy. They are waiting for something to come to them so take advantage of the situation. It could be the up-current side of the bridge or the down- current side. Either way, they will be among the pilings waiting for something to come to them. Fish accordingly. If I'm fishing the up-current side I'll cast out and let it drift toward me and the fish. If I'm fishing the down-current side I drop it among the pilings and let it drift out. It works. Be prepared to lose some hooks either through snagging or break offs after a fish has gone into the pilings. The fish you DO get are well worth the trouble.

The Beach

It is a good idea to scout your spot during the day before you go out at night. Know the landscape. I'll go to all my fishing spots during the day at low tide to check out the structure. At one spot I found that there was an old engine block in the middle of the channel. When I went there at night the block was submerged and there were big stripers hiding behind it. I knew where they were because I knew why they were there. One of the hardest things about fishing the beach is your fellow fishermen. You'll undoubtedly find yourself shoulder to shoulder and backs to the wall on a beach. You'll cross lines, get tangled, etc. Most average striper fishermen will usually knock off for the night around 11 or 12. The diehards, the ones who study the fish will be arriving just about then. You might see or hear them but most of the time you won't. They'll know where they're going, and why. The rule is to be patient. Even the biggest beaches will get crowded sometimes. Just think of it as one of the few times you have something in common with the entire crowd.

Night Fishing

Yes you can catch stripers during the day, but it is harder. If they can see well at night, imagine how well they can see by day. The bigger fish will be more active at night. At night there is less distraction, fewer boats, no people in the water swimming. If you're at a beach fishing and there are people swimming your chances are less. If you're going to fish in the dark, do that. Very often the first thing a new striper fisherman buys will be a Coleman lantern, or some other kind of fancy light. They'll set it on the beach, light it up and start fishing. Meanwhile the stripers, whose eyes are sensitive to bright light, have left the area. A small flashlight is all you need. I bought a headlight/miners light which is great since it frees both hands. Use lights sparingly and never shine them into the water. The rule is the less light the better.

Common Sense

Fishing for striped bass is fun relaxing and challenging. It is also extremely beautiful. The sunsets and sunrises are breathtaking. The sights and sound of the wind, water, and waves bring a peace that is rarely found these days. The stars are brighter, shooting stars abound... it is a great experience. But there are other things there as well. Skunks, racoons, mosquitos, and black flies can all make your trip a miserable experience. I've had racoons come right up and start eating from my box of sea worms, and was cornered on a bridge by a skunk that could not get across the grated part of the bridge and seemed to think that I was the reason for his aggrevation. Beware the human animal too. Once on a bridge, I was standing by the side of the road replenishing my bait. Two cars full of youths drove by and threw their pizza crusts at me as they passed. It happened so fast I didn't know what happened until I saw myself covered in pizza sauce. The two women these cowards hit at the same time were hurt during the same attack. Be careful, don't let your guard down. You could get injured or lose your life. It's only a fish!

Get Smart

Talk to other fishermen, read books from the list on the previous page. Talk to bait shop owners. An informed fisherman is a successful fisherman. Don't be afraid to experiment. Most importantly, get out there and fish. Experience is the best teacher. you'll learn from your mistakes but as you learn you'll get better. By the way, don't forget to bring a camera with you. I have hundreds of pictures of the fish I have caught. The wife won't put them in the family album, but they're a great reminder of a wonderful experience.

Frankiesurf
09-02-2009, 09:41 PM
When driving along the shore or over bridges on the way to fish, keep an eye on perched seagulls. Nine times out of ten they will be facing into the direction of the wind.

This can help you start planning where to go on a certain wind.

fishinmission78
09-03-2009, 01:31 PM
^^ That's a great tip with all the fall hurricanes starting. With the fall run there will always be fish feeding somewhere. Having a plan b helped save many a trip for me.

Frankiesurf
09-13-2009, 11:02 AM
When the wife is a bit peeved at you for going out fishing all night, stop by a farmstand on the way home and pick up a bunch of Sunflowers. It works for me every time. Six bucks goes a looooong way sometimes.

hookedonbass
09-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Talk to people but do more listening than talking.

jigfreak
09-25-2009, 04:49 PM
I always carry lots of extra plugs. If you lose one or some are not working you can always change up.

Frankiesurf
10-07-2009, 10:07 PM
When casting from the beach with the wind at your cheek, you want to keep your line from bowing too much since it makes it a bit more difficult to catch up to and keep in contact with your lure. To minimize this try casting from your side and keep it under the wind as much as possible

This WILL take a little practice. Please make sure you are clear of any other anglers that are near you as this will take up a fair amount of space in a +/- 15 foot radius around you.

DarkSkies
10-12-2009, 07:28 PM
I tend to wear a lot of Army surplus gear, it's cheap and durable. Be careful with those d-rings near the cuffs of the sleeves. Either close them tight with pliers or cut them off. The ones that are open tend to attract small things, like the line you are throwing, :embarassed: the mono from cast nets, etc.

johnnysaxatilis
10-13-2009, 07:59 AM
stretch before you go on long walks or rock hopping journeys. Also take breaks and stretch front, back, side to side. makes the whole experience much more enjoyable and eliminates some of the tighness in my back after ive made 100000000000 casts AND ONLY HAVE 3 SCHOOLIES AND A BLUE FISH TO SHOW FOR IT AHHHHHHHHHHH. it relieves some stress too

DarkSkies
10-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Getting skunked is no shame, it's an opportunity for a game plan analysis.

Surf fishermen's Corollary: Fish can be caught when there is NO bait around, but when bait is there in heavy concentrations and it leaves the area it's more likely many of the fish will leave with them. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/misc/progress.gif

buckethead
10-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Slow down on the retrieve. You are not in a race as to how reels the fastest.

fishinmission78
10-16-2009, 10:19 AM
makes the whole experience much more enjoyable and eliminates some of the tighness in my back after ive made 100000000000 casts AND ONLY HAVE 3 SCHOOLIES AND A BLUE FISH TO SHOW FOR IT AHHHHHHHHHHH. it relieves some stress too

A pint of Jaeger in the truck helps to relieve some of that stress too (only on weekends):D :plastered:

Frankiesurf
10-17-2009, 09:57 PM
When taping your Korkers on, make sure you fold the tape over onto itself after you cut it, making an easy to grab tab to pull the tape off when you are done. This way you don't cut your strap or lace like a buddy of mine just did when cutting the tape off.

DarkSkies
11-03-2009, 09:38 AM
This is something that my friend G says all the time, I got nothing but buzzard's luck! :burn: :don't know why:

Buzzard's luck:
Can't kill nothing and nothing will die.

Ex: Man I aint got a job, a girl or any money. I got buzzards luck.

If you're out for the night and ya got buzzards luck, it's time to start drinkin. :plastered:Or if you're like me and can't drink, it's time to call it a night. :laugh:

porgy75
11-28-2009, 04:52 PM
Everyone here has really helped me out and it is greatly appreciated. I want to add a list of must brings when going out surf fishing for those who are new to the surf casting world.

pliers
Knife
Bait (bunker, clams, eels and sandworms)
5 Lures
10 hooks and swivels and barrels and fish finders and etc.
10 different sized weights 1 - 4 ounces
Leader material
Waders and korkers (for the jetties)
measuring tape - don't get caught with a short

fishinmission78
11-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Always have a snag rig or 2 in your truck. They came in handy today.

DarkSkies
11-29-2009, 11:11 PM
Just because you're not fishin the rocks doesn't mean your line and terminal tackle won't get abused. When you fish metals a lot, your line will tend to get dragged on the bar or the mini-ridges you'll pass before the trough.

Before moving to another spot, or after an hour or so of casting, I make it a point to check my line, and cut and re-tie if needed. No sense losing a quality fish over frayed line. :embarassed:

rockhopper
01-04-2010, 12:54 PM
When taping your Korkers on, make sure you fold the tape over onto itself after you cut it, making an easy to grab tab to pull the tape off when you are done. This way you don't cut your strap or lace like a buddy of mine just did when cutting the tape off.

A small but smart step to making your gear last, thanks.

jigfreak
01-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Early season wading, watch for the depressions in the back bays you may not know about.

rip316
01-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Dont use a light when fishing the dark hours. I heard they have very sensitive eyesight.

jigfreak
01-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Hey rip you can use it when you are unhooking your fish or re tying something that broke off. The thing that gets a lot of guys mad is if you are fishing near other guys and shine your light or headlights on the water like a lighthouse. If fish are feeding in close at night it could push them offshore.
Other than that, get yourself a cheap led headlamp with different intensities and a red light as well. $15 at wally world and you're good to go. Use the red instead of the white for most things you would do at night, you should be golden.

Frankiesurf
01-04-2010, 08:41 PM
And turn away from the water when using it.

rip316
01-04-2010, 08:46 PM
I have learned to do exactly what you guys said. I bought the headlamp. It has three settings with the third being red lights. Pretty cool toys. Is it march yet. Man I cant wait to start fishing already.

rockhopper
01-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Line tips - Store line in a dark place under moderate temperatures.

While fishing, check your line often for nicks and abrasions by running the last several feet of line between your thumb and fingers.

Replace the line on each reel when it shows signs of wear. (Buying line in larger spools will avoid waste of excess line left on smaller spools.)

Always buy premium line. You get what you pay for! A couple of extra dollars now may save a lot of cursing later.

Do not expose line to chemicals such as gasoline, which may cause it to deteriorate.

Clip off several inches of line and retie to the lure frequently, especially when fishing heavy structure or catching fish or if a knot appears in the line.

strikezone31
01-12-2010, 12:19 PM
This has been discussed before but decided it was worth talking about again. Fishing logs can be a great help. Here are some details on how to get started and what to log.

Designate a notebook to be used as your fishing log.
Mark general information at the top of a new page before you start fishing that includes: Date, Water Name, Specific Location (“below dam”, “7.3 miles after turnoff”, etc), Start Time, and Fishing Partners.
Make mental notes of each fish caught and how you caught it. This includes: lure or fly used, type of water, water depth, lure depth, retrieval type and retrieve speed, and time caught. Alternatively, you can keep a small notepad in your tackle box or fishing vest and quickly jot down this information after catching each fish.
Observe weather conditions while you fish, including air temperature, cloud cover, wind speed, and precipitation.
Observe water conditions while you fish, including water temperature, water level, and water clarity.
Observe insect hatches while you fish.
Use a fine mesh net to seine the water for insects or small fish which may be an important food item to imitate.
Write down the aforementioned information in your fishing log when you change fishing locations or at the end of the day.
Complete the fishing log entry at the end of the fishing day by writing down information such as: End Time, Best Hours Fished, and General Notes from the day. It may also be useful to sketch a map of the area fished and indicate good fishing locations and poor fishing locations.

Transfer the written fishing logs to a computer for easier searching and analysis. The best option is to use computer software designed specifically for maintaining fishing logs. There are web sites designed for this as well as standalone software programs. A more basic and less desirable option is to keep all of the fishing data in a spreadsheet or other document.

Keep track of specific locations fished by using either a GPS receiver or by tracking mileage using a car’s odometer.

In the US, most river water levels can be found at the USGS web page.

Keep a small notepad and pencil in your fishing vest or tackle box to make note of weather and water conditions as well as fish catch information.

http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-a-Fishing-Log

VSdreams
01-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Spend the time out on the water. Don't think you will be a pro after a month of being out there. The more time you put in ;the more you will learn.

cowherder
01-23-2010, 10:09 AM
This has been discussed before but decided it was worth talking about again. Fishing logs can be a great help. Here are some details on how to get started and what to log.

This year I'm starting a fishing log for the first time. I'm going out this weekend to look at the back bay and will write down those observations.

fishinmission78
01-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Don't get set in your ways. Patterns and good bites change from year to year depending on the conditions and bait.

hookset
01-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Tie good knots

surferman
01-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Don't forget a big cooler and ice for all the fish you catch.

crosseyedbass
02-07-2010, 09:10 AM
Picking out the right tackle is important.

Choosing your flats fishing tackle

Just as any mechanic will tell you that having the proper tools makes the job easier, having the proper fishing rod and reel will make your day on the water more productive and enjoyable. With hundreds of sizes, makes, and models to choose from, how does one know which one will work best?

If your budget allows for only one rod and reel, you must first determine what type of area you will be fishing most frequently and what species you will be targeting. For general flats, when targeting species such as trout and redfish (http://www.examiner.com/x-38147-Florida-Flats-Fishing-Examiner~y2010m2d3-Catching-Redfish-In-Mosquito-Lagoon), choose a spinning rod of at least seven feet that will allow you to make long casts. Select a rod with a medium action which will throw light lures a reasonable distance yet still has a fast tip to give topwater baits the proper action. If you are going to be spending most of your time targeting snook around docks or mangrove shorelines, a shorter, stouter rod will assist you in presenting your baits and pulling the fish out of the structure.

Spinning rods come in one, two, and even three piece models. Unless you need to break down your rod for travel, I suggest a one piece model. Higher priced rods will have more guides that have better resistance to corrosion. Although you can buy some cheap indestructible rods, spending a bit more money will get you a rod that is lighter and casts more efficiently.

Most saltwater spinning reels are sized with a number system with a 1000 being the smallest and 8000 the largest. A 2500 size reel works well for flats fishing. Filled with ten pound braided line, this size is light enough to allow for comfortable casting all day yet can hold enough line to handle any redfish or trout.

When selecting a reel for flats fishing, a smooth drag is essential. In general, as the price of the reels increase, so does the quality of the drag, the smoothness of the gears, and their resistance to corrosion. To keep your reel in top working condition, wipe the exterior with a wet towel after each exposure to salt water. Periodically lubricate the pivot points and line roller bearing with a small amount of reel oil. Purchase a cover and keep it on your reel when you are transporting it to prevent scratches. A well maintained reel will give you many years of use.

http://www.examiner.com/x-38147-Florida-Flats-Fishing-Examiner~y2010m2d5-Choosing-your-flats-fishing-tackle?cid=channel-rss-Recreation

buckethead
03-06-2010, 06:45 PM
When the water is cold for the early season, a good choice is clams or worms.

rip316
03-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Hold your rod. Don't leave it in the spike. You will miss hits in turn you will miss fish. This technique is used in the early part of the year.

plugcrazy
03-08-2010, 11:27 AM
That's a good point rip however, if you happen to fish several rods and can't hold them all keep a close eye on them. If that poles bends you better be ready to run and set the hook.

Dreaminofishin
03-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Rip,

I'm okay now. Let's go fishing.

rip316
03-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Dreaminofishin, I emailed you like three times. I went on Sunday. Didn't catch any but it was a blast. The end of this week is going to get a little cold again which might put the brakes on what has been turning out to be the start of the season. I will try to contact you the next time I plan to go which will be REAL SOON. FEEL BETTER.

jigfreak
03-20-2010, 10:48 AM
When fishing with topwaters, make sure you wait a second then set the hook. Otherwise you risk pulling the lure out before the fish has a good grasp of it.

albiealert
03-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Don't forget a big cooler and ice for all the fish you catch.

Or a relaible camera if you are letting some of the big girls go.;)

hookset
03-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Make sure you use a good sand spike. You don't want one that rod can easily fall out of. Make sure the handle goes far into the well and the spike can go deep into the sand. Is a $700 set-up worth losing over a $10 cheap sand spike?

jigfreak
03-28-2010, 09:33 AM
If there is no bait around a fish could still be in the current. Even slight currents could hold fish. Crazy Alberto's seminar is all about getting fish right near slack.

CharlieTuna
03-29-2010, 10:29 AM
http://www.bassresource.com/ads/www/delivery/lg.php?bannerid=176&campaignid=111&zoneid=9&loc=1&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bassresource.com%2Ffish%2 Ftopwaters.html&cb=95c4b50570

http://www.bassresource.com/Bass/Fishing/fishing-tips-fishing-knots.gif

Poppers - attract bass with a gurgling and popping sound on the water's surface. Poppers are a great choice to find and locate fish if you are trying several places in an outing. Poppers should be retrieved in a series of starts and stops.

surferman
04-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Don't be afraid to use dead eels, they work wonders.

plugcrazy
04-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Whatever you do when landing the bass, DO NOT grab the line, especially on a big fish. I have lost a many fish my not being patient. Wait until you can lift the fish. It is a hard habit to break, but it is worth the effort.

porgy75
04-21-2010, 06:35 PM
I am fairly new to the surf fishing world myself, but my advice would be to the old timers with knowledge. If you see a newie on the surf struggling with tying a knot stop and give him a hand.

I always appreciate someone teaching me a new method.

surfstix1963
04-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Carry a safety pin to pick away at wind knots in braided line it saves alot of fishing time trying to pick it apart w/ your fingers saved my butt a couple 2-3 times:d

buckethead
05-17-2010, 07:45 PM
I find one of the best times to fish is high tide during either dawn or dusk.

johnnysaxatilis
05-19-2010, 08:14 AM
If im fishing with a buddy and he happens to hook a fish, Dont be an A hole and without a word, come storming down and set up inbetween me and my friend who im talking to and start casting. YA GOT THE WHOLE FREAKIN CANAL BUDDY, GEEZE lol. It woulda been funny if it wasnt so rediculous

crosseyedbass
06-09-2010, 06:04 PM
If im fishing with a buddy and he happens to hook a fish, Dont be an A hole and without a word, come storming down and set up inbetween me and my friend who im talking to and start casting. YA GOT THE WHOLE FREAKIN CANAL BUDDY, GEEZE lol. It woulda been funny if it wasnt so rediculous

I agree man, I don't get why they can't fish some place else. I guess they are afraid they will miss some action or some over heard tips.

Don't forget sandeels are like candy to bass.

rockhopper
06-09-2010, 07:46 PM

I cut the line on guys like that. they cross near my line, out comes the knife, oops sorry.:don't know why:

hookset
06-12-2010, 02:30 PM
When you're looking for a great spot, you want to keep your eye out for a couple of things. Fish will be on the outsides of rip currents looking for food. Keep this in mind, along with knowing that there are pockets or troughs that get carved by the sea, and are known as ocean trenches.

crosseyedbass
07-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Dont' forget to move. 50 yards it can make big difference.

plugginpete
07-04-2010, 12:02 PM
A slough is a deep trough that runs parallel to the beach, bordered by a sand bar on one side and the beach on the other. The distance from the beach to the bar will determine the width of the slough.

Fish travel up and down this trough and look for food such small fish, crabs, and sandworms.

baitstealer
09-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Buy what you can afford, not what others tell you to buy. Inexpensive plugs can work just as well as a $25 one.

DarkSkies
09-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Murphy's Laws of Fishing....never promise anyone you'll get them a fish, no matter how good the fishing has been, unless you like embarassing yourself. :o

stripercrazy
09-08-2010, 08:38 PM
^ Smart advice there.

johnnysaxatilis
09-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Murphy's Laws of Fishing....never promise anyone you'll get them a fish, no matter how good the fishing has been, unless you like embarassing yourself. :o

true story

basshunter
10-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Different Types of Fishing Line

With hundreds of different types of fishing line out there some fishermen don't know what kind of fishing line to use. In this article I will tell you the different kind of fishing line and when to use them.

Monofilament Fishing Line Types
http://ads.associatedcontent.com/www/delivery/lg.php?category_id=14&content_type=article&content_type_id=5887248&key_page=74102132215205046&site_id=1&bannerid=9229&campaignid=2843&zoneid=2&loc=1&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.associatedcontent.com%2Fa rticle%2F5887248%2Fhow_to_choose_fishing_line.html %3Fcontent_type_id%3D5887248&cb=925d9e2e3b
http://speed.pointroll.com/PointRoll/Media/banners/trans.gif?PRAd=1396294&PRCID=1396294&PRplcmt=1118483&PRPID=1118483

Monofilament fishing lines are the most common types that are used for fishing. These have been known to be used for all kinds of conditions in fishing. These lines are best suited for freshwater fishing in streams or lakes. Monofilaments tend to stretch better and they are less visible in water. Green, red, clear, etc. are colors in which these fishing lines are available. One disadvantage of monofilaments is that they cannot be easily stretched if they are not in use for a long time. This is because, these lines take the shape in which they have been stored. So, these lines are suitable for frequent fishing activities, like that of fishermen and not for hobbyists. The lines also need replacement after few years, as they do not promise long-lasting durability against heat and water.

Braided Fishing Line Types
Braided fishing line types present themselves as the strongest of all types. These lines have no stretch and you can feel everything at the end of the lines. They have the advantage of being able to cast long distances and strong enough to resist the weight of large fish. They last longer than monofilaments fishing lines and are more abrasion-resistant. Due to their unstretchable nature, braided lines tend to break the fishing rods in case the drag is not set correctly. That is why, long-lasting fishing rods and reels are recommended to be used with these lines. Braided fishing lines are not preferable in clear water, as they become visible and that might ruin the fishing.

Fused Fishing Line Types
http://ads.associatedcontent.com/www/delivery/lg.php?category_id=14&content_type=article&content_type_id=5887248&key_page=74102132215210703&site_id=1&bannerid=9229&campaignid=2843&zoneid=2&loc=1&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.associatedcontent.com%2Fa rticle%2F5887248%2Fhow_to_choose_fishing_line_pg2. html%3Fcontent_type_id%3D5887248%26page%3D2%26cat% 3D14&cb=b78fe0ca48

Fused fishing lines share similar features with the braided line types. The only difference between the two is the method of manufacturing. Fused fishing lines are made out of multiple layers of microfilaments of gel spun polyetylene fibers. These fibers are thermally fused together. Inorder to produce a single strand of line, the fused fibers are applied with a separate coating. This gives the lines additional strength. These lines are thinner and provides great hook sets. However, these lines can only be cut using a sharp knife or scissor and they are also highly visible in water.

Fluorocarbon Fishing Line Types
Fluorocarbon fishing line types are popular due to their complete invisibility in water. They are also resistant against sunlight, gasoline, battery acid, and they do not absorb water. This is due to the polymer fluorocarbon, which is inert in its nature. For fishing spots having rocks, submerged logs and the likes, these type of fishing lines are most suitable, as they are also abrasion-resistant. These lines are heavier than other types and this makes it easier for the bait to fall faster and deeper in water.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5887248/how_to_choose_fishing_line_pg2.html?cat=14

clamchucker
10-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Although often dismissed by some as too simple, the white curlytail grub on a 1/2 oz jig can catch fish all year around.

albiealert
10-22-2010, 09:58 AM
^ Sometimes simple is best.:thumbsup:

plugaholic
11-11-2010, 04:00 PM
cold water - as the fall water gets colder, when I am plugging I slow my presentation down to a crawl. That will get you bumpe or hits when the fish are sluggish.

dogfish
11-13-2010, 05:37 PM
^ Sometimes simple is best.:thumbsup:

Each time you go out, look at your plug bag and ask yourself if your really need all that weight. Take out a few plugs or jigs and only take what you absolutely need. You will be glad ya did!

fishinmission78
11-20-2010, 12:54 PM
cold water - as the fall water gets colder, when I am plugging I slow my presentation down to a crawl. That will get you bumpe or hits when the fish are sluggish.

What he said, plus as it gets really cold the bite will tend to be in the late afternoons because the fish are sluggish in the morning unless they are in a hyper frenzy feeding on bait. I think we are starting to see that now.

7deadlyplugs
11-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Each time you go out, look at your plug bag and ask yourself if your really need all that weight. Take out a few plugs or jigs and only take what you absolutely need. You will be glad ya did!

You can probably catch all the fish you need with a minimum of 7plugs, rubber and metal and bucktails included. 7deadly plugs.:cool:

cowherder
12-25-2010, 03:41 PM
I don't known if anyone else said this yet but it's a good idea to check the first 20' of your line right before you plug, or at the end of your surf trip. Sand and small rocks can put a lot of abrasions on braid or mono. You don't want to lose a cow because you were not equipped to play the game.

surfstix1963
12-27-2010, 07:05 AM
I have a buddy that fishes bait most of the time and every fish he catches he cuts back his line and reties as mentioned above all of that sand and rocks are causing abrasions in your line and leader while it lies in the water not to mention what a fish does to it running all over the place.I do check my line,leader,knots and hooks quickly after catching a fish, also why lose a fish or for that matter a good plug it only takes a few seconds to give a quick look see

buckethead
01-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Before putting your reels away after you’ve rinsed and cleaned them, back the drags all the way off. This will help prolong the life of the drags.

stripermania
01-20-2011, 07:06 PM
Striped bass fish like to swim in flowing, clean and clear water. They do not prefer muddy and unclear water. You can always find striped bass fishes swimming with their nose pointed towards the water current. Therefore you can hold your fishing bait into the direction of the water and the fish would definitely be pulled towards the food. If you intend to catch several fishes at a time, then you need to look into clear waters for a group of stripers. If you find a group, you should slowly move towards them, otherwise if they smell your presence, they might swift in deeper water.

basshunter
04-25-2011, 09:14 PM
Let the fish get tired out, yet don't let slack get in your way. Here is some great advice I received a while back from a good friend of mine.:

"Once the fish is done with his runs you can start to apply pressure using a slow pump. You move the fish on the upward movement of the rod tip. You gain line as you lower your rod tip toward the fish. Don't reel when your raising the rod tip and moving the fish (not as important on a conventional reel with a good drag, but if your using a spinnning reel and cranking when the drag is running you'll be putting twists in your line!)
Usually, it is just a matter of time before you get the fish to the beach -- but getting a big fish through the surf line can be a trick. You've got to time it so the waves push the fish up onto the beach. I've seen a lot of lines snapped by trying to beach a fish against the undertow."

storminsteve
04-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Bunker and lead weight fishing from the surf or shore.

When I am fishing bunker, I try to use the lightest weight possible to keep the bunker from moving too much. I don't really want it anchored, like with a door sash or something. I want it moving with the current. Most of the time this doesn't matter at all, but if the fish are picky, other than the standard fishfinder rig, try downsizeing your weight. Some times that will make the difference. Good luck fellas, there are a lot of bunker around now, and at times some nice bass and blues under them.

BassBuddah
05-09-2011, 11:18 AM
I cannot remember who said it, but I read it here somewhere in one of the forums-
Be willing to modify your strategy as the conditions change. Don't get stuck in a rut.

storminsteve
06-18-2011, 08:08 PM
I had some time to kill this afternoon and went over some of the posts in this thread. Thank you darkskies for starting this and all the fellas who posted up, there is some golden advice in here. Should be required reading for all new members.

lostatsea
06-24-2011, 04:14 PM
^^ x2.

clamchucker
06-25-2011, 11:42 AM
This time of year the storms we are having can affect the ocean temperatures and clarity significantly. Remember that when heading out for your destination.

DarkSkies
09-14-2011, 09:27 AM
You have to realize the fishing is either "on" or "off" for the night.

If it's dismal, there ain't no sense in sticking around for more punishment unless you have another location you can quickly get to where conditions are different. All this talk of "when" :laugh: the fall run will be starting....it already started people, but we are still plagued with inconsistency, even the bait guys are not hooking up every single day.

So have a plan, and stick to it. If things are off for the night, learn to recognize it and cut your losses so you can come out again. :learn:

Monty
09-14-2011, 10:04 AM
You have to realize the fishing is either "on" or "off" for the night.

If it's dismal, there ain't no sense in sticking around for more punishment unless you have another location you can quickly get to where conditions are different. All this talk of "when" :laugh: the fall run will be starting....it already started people, but we are still plagued with inconsistency, even the bait guys are not hooking up every single day.

So have a plan, and stick to it. If things are off for the night, learn to recognize it and cut your losses so you can come out again. :learn:

Umm, didn't someone one time say its called fishing, not catching..... I'm thinking a few of us just enjoy being out there taking that punishment :HappyWave: working a shore line, looking for a cut in a bar, a rip, a stray fish. I don't think I have ever cut a trip short because of not catching a fish.
Lets see, stay out and fish and not catch anything....or go home and do yard work, a to do list, clean the house, go to work, sleep.....I'm going to choose fishing and not catching fish :idea:

surfstix1963
09-15-2011, 03:57 PM
I also just like to be out there now myself but for the sake of tips 101 heres my .02 cents for what its worth I say to be more productive at surf fishing the best time to be out there is the last hour and a half before and after the slack tide occurs and even into slack tide big fish can be caught at slack tide especially in the inlets(live eels w/ little or no weight get their attention at this time especially if that falls in the nighttime or early a.m. theory is the fish are not going to come out of whatever structure they are hiding in from the current to eat simply they need to use the least energy to eat the most food hence the period of time stated above it is easier for them to move with the slower water and feed and also reposition themselves for the change in water movement" killing 2 birds with one stone." Naturally their are the other factors moon wind time of year etc. Spring fish the back waters of rivers and bays(water warms quicker)Summer(fish the ocean side look for structure deep holes the water is cooler)Now comes the fall and migration when you need to be on your A game because as far as I am concerned bait is the thing you need to find in order to find the fish they are on the move and hungry they are looking for the same thing you are just for different reasons Onshore wind will be helpful every beach has a favorite wind to set the stage you should know that already and of course storms this time of year will screw everything up but before a storm is a good time to get out there after stay home till the water clears.This is solely my opinion but I still say if you want a biggin get out there in Sept. to early Oct. because as far as I'm concerned in NY thats the time before you get into schoolies and their is the occasional later big ones who got lost in the parade or are going to winter over.Every single fish over 20 lbs. I have caught was in the 2 months above.Still have not broken 20 lbs. in the Spring close 18 lbs. was the best but I only fish one spot in the spring.

DarkSkies
09-15-2011, 05:25 PM
I had some time to kill this afternoon and went over some of the posts in this thread. Thank you darkskies for starting this and all the fellas who posted up, there is some golden advice in here. Should be required reading for all new members.

Yes it should Steve, and thanks to everyone for their thoughts. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
09-15-2011, 05:37 PM
Umm, didn't someone one time say its called fishing, not catching..... I'm thinking a few of us just enjoy being out there taking that punishment :HappyWave: working a shore line, looking for a cut in a bar, a rip, a stray fish.:

Hey, ya got me on that one... who am I kidding....I've been out there hours and hours at a time with no fish....and kept at it anyway. :kooky: Just trying to cut down on my compulsive behavior and get out there more....:cool:

As for enjoying the punisment, bro, that seems like a personal issue to me, maybe ya wanna do some research on S&M. :scared: Can't really help ya out with that, you're all on your own with that one. :ROFLMAO :HappyWave: :rolleyes:
(You know I quoted you out of context, but I couldn't help myself) :) :HappyWave:

and of course storms this time of year will screw everything up but before a storm is a good time to get out there after stay home till the water clears.This is solely my opinion but I still say if you want a biggin get out there in Sept. to early Oct.

because as far as I'm concerned in NY thats the time before you get into schoolies and their is the occasional later big ones who got lost in the parade or are going to winter over.Every single fish over 20 lbs. I have caught was in the 2 months above.

Lots of wisdom in this thread. There are a bunch of mis-informed people going around telling everyone who will listen that the biggest fish are caught during noreasters. That's only accurate for specific times and conditions, such as Montauk. It's wiser to follow the words I have highlighted above in your post, Surf. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png

If people would just read some of the wisdom here and live it, maybe some would catch more fish. :learn:
Consistently catching bigger fish from shore, other than snag and drop, involves a good log, paying attention to seasonal trends, and spending time out there when and where the bigger fish tend to move through.

seamonkey
09-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Dark, some of us are paying attention.
To all the old-timers and good fishermen here, thank you! I check this thread once a week to see if there are any new tips, and re-read it every winter. I learned a lot about reading the water and presentation from it. Thanks all.:thumbsup::clapping:

DarkSkies
10-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Thanks Seamonkey. :HappyWave:
We try our best to help the new guys here, and as you said, no matter how long you have been fishin, you can always learn something new, if your mind is open to it....

Saving a wet cell phone after you dunk it..

Open the phone if it's a clamshell type. If not, leave as is
Take the battery off the back.
Put all in a quart ziplock bag filled with white rice.
Do not attempt to turn it on, just put in the bag covered with rice.
Seal bag. Leave it untouched for 2 days.
Worked for me, saved 2 phones this way. One of em had been in salt water overnight, found 10 hours later after I went back and searched for it.

DarkSkies
11-09-2011, 08:32 AM
Teasers are great when there are different forage sizes around, like late fall or whenever else you have rainfish, bay anchovies, etc. You have to counter the desire to use a teaser with the reality of where the fish are feeding, though. Sometimes they are feeding, on schedule, just beyond the last breaker.

Finchaser and SharkHart had some good advice about when and when not to use teasers. :thumbsup:
I summarized it and am posting it here....

" Got a few calls saying folks saw fish feeding, but on the end of the furthest casts....coupled with the big swell coming from that offshore storm, it made it almost impossible to consistently get in the strike zone.

Yet some continue to stay married to teasers, no matter what. :huh:
As Shark mentioned, sometimes you need that extra distance, it's critical to whether you get to where the fish are. Miss it and you get no action at all......

So learn from these valuable tips here, people...:learn:
Teasers are great for when the fish are in tight, but they can ba a handicap when you need maximum distance on your cast."

seamonkey
11-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Thanks guys!

DarkSkies
12-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Whether you are on a jetty or a bar, having waves crashing over your head and pushing you back can get you in trouble...

This advice comes from my good friend Joe....:HappyWave:

When a wave is coming at you, turn your body sideways and you present less mass for the force to go through, thereby making it easier to resist the wave...thanks Joe. :thumbsup:

Monty
12-06-2011, 06:06 AM
Whether you are on a jetty or a bar, having waves crashing over your head and pushing you back can get you in trouble...
This advice comes from my good friend Joe....:HappyWave:
When a wave is coming at you, turn your body sideways and you present less mass for the force to go through, thereby making it easier to resist the wave...thanks Joe. :thumbsup:

It can also be very refreshing :wheeeee:
Never loose sight of what is coming at you.

bababooey
12-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Tell me honestly Monty, you really enjoy the waves coming at you like that? Why?:scared: :HappyWave:

Monty
12-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Tell me honestly Monty, you really enjoy the waves coming at you like that? Why?:scared: :HappyWave:

:HappyWave: I am always throwing artificials, a few of my most fun outings have been to Island Beach late fall, windy, rainy, white water.
Not many others fishing. Getting out to the bars, fishing some real nice structure there, cuts, points. working hard for fish, but being rewarded by catching them. No blitz.
Its fun for me, working for fish (bass and blues) in those conditions. Not a fish on every cast, one or two or three an hour. I'll take that over an all out blitz if I had a choice.
Its the fishing experience. Challenging, exciting, a little risky, exciting, exhilarating. Adrenalin rush.

storminsteve
12-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Its the fishing experience. Challenging, exciting, a little risky, exciting, exhilarating. Adrenalin rush.

x2, Monty.:drool: They should make t-shirts with a pic of the surf, and those words above that, I would definitely buy one.

jigfreak
01-20-2012, 08:41 AM

If you have to ask that question, you wouldn't understand the answer anyway.

jigfreak
01-20-2012, 08:42 AM
Night fishing, make sure you have extras of leaders, clips, etc, all set up and ready to change.

rockhopper
05-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Good point jigfreak. And check your knots!

porgy75
07-03-2012, 08:32 AM
I don't have much to add here but think it is important to be careful of the rip currents if you are wading out. A few kids got killed already this year when swimming.

cowherder
07-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Ledhead mentioned this and I want to try it.
"Don't throw your gulp away that the bigger bluefish have been chomping on. I have been using the bits and pieces on the snapper poppers or sabiki rigs and catching snappers for fluke bait."

buckethead
07-22-2012, 12:46 PM
I don't have much to add here but think it is important to be careful of the rip currents if you are wading out. A few kids got killed already this year when swimming.

So true, every year we lose someone else to rip currents.

jigfreak
07-25-2012, 08:21 AM
Ledhead mentioned this and I want to try it.
"Don't throw your gulp away that the bigger bluefish have been chomping on. I have been using the bits and pieces on the snapper poppers or sabiki rigs and catching snappers for fluke bait."

There are also a lot of spot close in. Fishbites or bloodworms does the job.

ledhead36
04-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Early spring the water is still cold. They are not hitting aggressively now. Hold your rod. If this makes you tired go home and take up golf. You will miss less fish this way.

VSdreams
04-05-2013, 06:13 PM
^^Thanks for that ledhead. You should have seen it today it was like a picket line of guys along the beach but only a few of us were holding our rods. We were the only ones catching. Saw quite a few missed fish. It seems so simple but you are spot on it is important.

DarkSkies
04-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Good point ledhead. It might seem simple but the little things like that result in more hookups and less missed fish, as you said. :thumbsup:

A friend has been down in Fla for a month and has been outfishing the locals, so maybe I can say something to you all about looking at things differently.

My friend has been doing OK in Fla. He says the fishing has been tough because they have had colder weather than usual.

**Not all days have been good, and some have been poor. He's pretty honest and tried to share some of what has been working.
He was doing ok with fish overall with a white grub tail and 1/2 oz jig. He said a lot of locals fish on the bottom, and when the fish are there they all would catch.

However, there are different times of day, centered around the high tide, when the behavior would be different. He isn't really a guy to throw too many artificials beyond the occasional bucktail or white grub He fishes bait a lot.
So when it seems the fishing has slowed down, he puts squid strips on a high low rig, takes the heavy sinker off that many are using, and substitutes with a very small sinker, just enough to cast it out.

With these squid strips (BTW a very cheap bait to use compared to alternatives of shrimp or worms), he has been nailing Spanish mackerel.
Cast and retrieve at a pretty moderate pace, keeping the rig in the top 1/2 of the water column.
He's working for someone down there and can't always get out. His time is limited.
He has been trying to time his trips around the high tide. Some days he's able to put together double digit catches of spanish mackerel....I think his best trip he got 19 of them, all from a pier.

porgy75
04-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Early spring the water is still cold. They are not hitting aggressively now. Hold your rod. If this makes you tired go home and take up golf. You will miss less fish this way.

thank you very much ledhead I followed your advice today and got a fish. Small striper still it was fun. There were some guys who weren't holding their rods and they lost the fish when they passed by.

ledhead36
07-14-2013, 02:10 PM
You're welcome porgy. Another tip for all the busted up pieces of gulp with tails bitten off by the bluefish. Don't throw them away. Save them all in a jar in the refrig with gulp juice. Then when the croakers and kingfish are around you can take them and cut small pieces off and catch all you want. A little piece is all you need because the croakers have small mouths. Try it you will thank me.

surfrob
02-20-2014, 11:21 AM
except when fishing for tog: when you cast a lure and get snagged, don't continue to cast a similar lure to the same spot, just to make sure the snag is still there.

just sayin' :D

storminsteve
02-20-2014, 12:46 PM
^^^^^ Yeah those bottom pieces can get sticky!

hookset
08-13-2014, 08:18 AM
Some big rays around right now. I hooked one by accident the other morning on an ava. For the guys who deadstick bait don't leave your rod unattended.

baitstealer
01-29-2015, 10:08 AM
Think about the best time of the tide when the fish are biting. I didn't always do that and hardly ever caught. Reading that on here and keeping a log has helped me. Its prob been said already but I thought I would say it again and thanks for the help guys!

plugcrazy
04-04-2016, 01:50 PM
If there is an extreme weather event like new or full moon or blowout tide in a bay, try to fish differently because the window or conditions could be different.

cowherder
04-19-2016, 12:19 AM
Big blues showed up in the bay today- tip when you are fishing for them CHECK YOUR GEAR FIRST!!!!!!!!

jigfreak
06-16-2016, 08:25 PM
Wading belts you should always wear one. Fished the sedges snd creek mouths last night. Walking from one to another I stepped into a deep hole and started filling up with water. All by myself it could have gone a lot worse. Be careful out there.

baitstealer
06-17-2016, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the tip, glad you are okay.

surfrob
06-17-2016, 03:49 PM
always check that screws on your reels are snugged up after cleaning.

don't ask.

surfrob
06-18-2016, 10:33 AM
when you think the tip of your rod is marginal, don't say to yourself "it'll hold"

baitstealer
06-19-2016, 07:49 PM
always check that screws on your reels are snugged up after cleaning.

don't ask.

Oops! sorry to hear that, sounds like it was not a good experience for you.

surfrob
06-20-2016, 12:33 PM
it wasn't!

this tip was given before, I'm sure (just don't remember and don't feel like scrolling threw the thread again):

always always always check your leader.

remember, it's not the small fish that will get away!

surferman
06-20-2016, 08:18 PM
Murphy's Law of fishing - whatever can go wrong will go wrong. Especially if it's happening to me or my Dad LOL.