PDA

View Full Version : SH or IBSP - which is better this year?

cowherder
10-02-2008, 12:41 PM
I only fished Island Beach two times, soaking clams, we got skates, robins, no bass.

Sandy Hook, we catch the same thing, but sometimes I hear there are more bluefish blitzes, and bass running through. So where is the best place to go, or for those guys who fish a lot, which place is better for you this year?

fishinmission78
10-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Island beach you really have to know the structure, cuts, bars, dips. Right now the outer bar is pretty long, not as many breaks as there were last year. This changes from year to year, sometimes from Spring to Fall.

If you want to do good at IBSP, you have to study all this during low tide. We had a good spring run there, but only a few days, Memorial Day, Fathers' day, some of the best action I can remember.

Other than that, the front is some difficult beach to get to know, have to put in your time. You should also get to know the spots in the back for when the weather is bad.

bababooey
10-05-2008, 11:18 AM
If you're fat and like to sit in your truck without walking around too much, Island Beach is the place for you. Sandy Hook is for those who can walk for miles and miles before they find any fish.:D

Any wonder I mostly fish IBSP? :laugh:

paco33
10-10-2008, 07:47 PM
This is a terrible year for Sandy Hook unless you happen to be in a boat and are fishing the rips.

nitestrikes
10-11-2008, 09:05 AM
Don't know Sandy Hook too well, more familiar with the RM beaches. There is a guy Allen Riley who puts out reports about Sandy Hook. Here's a comment from one of his latest reports. You make the judgement as to whether it's true or not:

"This worst surf fishing season that I can recall in my many years on the beach continues to amaze - and disappoint - me. But it seems that the poor fall run is not limited to just the fishing at Sandy Hook.
Where are the fish?"

Monty
11-01-2008, 08:11 AM
I have had a decent year fishing sandy hook if you consider "blues and bass". Fished the area 1 time per week since april and skunked maybe 4x. This year was better than last year for me especially the fall. Consistantly hooking up for me wais based on putting in the time, searching out productive areas and to keep moving to find fish. Kinda true for all areas..

crosseyedbass
11-01-2008, 12:54 PM
I don't know Sandy Hook well, but know IBSP and LBI because I fish with my friend, and thats where he drives to. We haven't done that well this year, he always fished clams. I want to learn more about plugging. I know how to throw a bomber, and thats about it.