PDA

View Full Version : fishing terms dictionary

ledhead36
10-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Fishing Glossary:

disgorger - Device for removing hooks deeply embedded in the throat of a fish.

voyager35
10-05-2008, 10:32 AM
double header
catching 2 fish at a time, one on the plug, one on the teaser.

bababooey
10-07-2008, 07:04 AM
blitz: the feeding frenzy when you come upon a group of bigger fish feeding upon a group of smaller fish they have corraled into an advantageous spot.

Or - a group of fishermen with poor manners casting over each others heads.:D

seamonkey
10-07-2008, 09:58 AM
blind cast - casting at no particular target.

voyager35
10-07-2008, 04:21 PM
drail
a weight of variable size trolled behind a boat to get the offering down to the desired level, ie the feeding zone.

cowherder
10-10-2008, 10:40 PM
mug or mugging - to crowd someone else out of their spot. Usually, this refers to those who are doing the crowding.http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.gif

strikezone31
10-17-2008, 09:14 AM
buzzbait - Top-water bait with large, propeller-type blades that churn the water during a retrieve. Usually comprised of a leadhead, a rigid hook and a wire that supports one of more blades. Typically has a plastic skirt like a spinnerbait.

stripercrazy
11-03-2008, 06:48 PM
googan is a new guy who doesn't know any better. Sometimes, with hard work and practice, pitting your time in, you can graduate from a googan to a surf rat, and then a sharpie.:D

ledhead36
02-08-2010, 03:34 PM
mug or mugging - to crowd someone else out of their spot. Usually, this refers to those who are doing the crowding.http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.gif

Love this one.:clapping:

7deadlyplugs
03-05-2010, 10:24 AM
I read this in another thread here -

Googan -
A googan is an offshore fishermen who constantly loses fish that the average fishermen would catch. 'Googans' tend to 'set the hook' when using circle hooks. A googan would not survive if stranded on a desert island with all the fishing tackle in the world, because a googan does not know how to tie the simplest of fishing knots.

A fishing (not sexual) term for lowlife, shore(bank) fishermen who baitfish typically without a license, regard to regulations, and etiquette towards other people, especially other fishermen following the rules.
"Damn, I couldn't find a spot at the river yesterday. It was totally full of googans hogging up the place, dropping f-bombs, and snagging fish."

rip316
03-05-2010, 11:29 AM
spot burner. LETTING THE WHOLE WORLD KNOW WHERE THE FISH ARE.

DarkSkies
03-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Skishing = An extreme form of surfcasting, wherein the participant fishes with rod & reel while swimming. The word is a combination of "Ski"+"Fishing", as a large fish can provide a nice tow through the water. Originated in Montauk, NY, this sport is gaining popularity among hardcore surfcasters whose primary target is striped bass.

rip316
03-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Don't have the balls for that stuff. Maybe if you prove to me that sharks are extinct i would give it a try.

Frankiesurf
03-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Don't have the balls for that stuff. Maybe if you prove to me that sharks are extinct i would give it a try.

The Megalodon is. That puppy could swallow great white no problem.

You get bit by a shark you only feel it for a little while, then you go into shock or die. Piece of cake.

rip316
03-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Not going to find out cuz I wont be out there. Big PUSSI HERE

gjb1969
03-08-2010, 11:15 PM
u can keep the skishin i will keep doing it the old way i got buzzards luck so there is no way i would do that:kooky:

DarkSkies
03-08-2010, 11:31 PM
^^ Figured I would post up that definition of buzzard's luck from another thread, G. ;)

This is something that my friend G says all the time, I got nothing but buzzard's luck! :burn: :don't know why:

Buzzard's luck:
Can't kill nothing and nothing will die.

Ex: Man I aint got a job, a girl or any money. I got buzzards luck.

If you're out for the night and ya got buzzards luck, it's time to start drinkin. :plastered:Or if you're like me and can't drink, it's time to call it a night. :laugh:

skinner
06-11-2010, 11:48 PM
Dapping A relatively ancient technique of presenting a fly on the surface of the water where the fly is connected to a short piece of line on a long rod. The fly is then touched on the surface of the water, immediately over a place where a fish might lie.

DarkSkies
11-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Russ Wilson gets the credit for this term...RIP Russ.

Even though some may consider it demeaning, it has it's place in NJ surfcasting history.
It can even be used as a term of endearment, as last week when I impaled my hand with a hook as I unhooked a nice bass, and Finchaser said:
"I can't believe you hooked yourself, you effing dillydock!"
(Yup...that sure sounded like a term of endearment....:laugh:)

Dillydock....

It seems Russ was known for his from-the-hip statements and direct talk...

"That's as big a size as this fish gets."

A lot have wondered about how that quote came to be. Back in the 70's and 80s, there were terms far worse than googan. "Googan" hadn't even been invented in NJ yet.

There were people who would wander down to the docks with fishin poles, but they never seemed to catch. Since they were dilly dallying at the docks so much, they were called "Dillydocks". :bucktooth:

This term still exists today among the old-school guys.

There was always a lot of goofing going around back then. If one of the surf guys was fishin somewhere and caught a fish, some of the questions the dillydocks would ask would be:

Wow, how old is that fish?
Old-timer answer...It's as old as it's gonna get! :D

When Russ was asked
Wow, how big does that fish get?

His answer was...It's as big as it's gonna get! :rolleyes:

(Russ was known for bein a little GROUCHY sometimes. Some even said that he and Finchaser were like 2 peas in a pod. :argue: :HappyWave:)

Good times.

RIP Russ

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5733-Legends-of-the-Salt...-Saltwater-Hall-of-Fame-thread/page2&highlight=russ+wilson

DarkSkies
11-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Death Rats - term used to indicate small bass, at the end of the Striped bass Fall run. Their appearance usually signifies the beginning of the end....hence the name "Death Rats". :d

Credit for this one goes to the LI surf guys, although it's been used all over....was talking to Eli a kayak friend the other day, and he mentioned running into the "Death Rats".
Great stuff...:fishing:

porgy75
11-10-2011, 07:04 PM
I like that, death rats! Funny! (but sad too)

fishinmission78
11-12-2011, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the dillydock clarification. I thought it meant useless a-hole.:d

bababooey
03-07-2012, 08:41 AM
"Waitingfortheavalancheofspringfishitis" - the early season waiting on the internet for an avalanche of fish to be caught in an area thereby signifying its time to go out and fish.
What happened to Rich Swiss? I remember he was the first on any internet forum out there with the guys, hitting it to win. He hasn't weighed a first of the year bass in in a few years? Is he retired?

The waitingfortheavalancehofspringfish guy is certainly me, though.:laugh: No use slogging it out in that mud you guys fish in. The early season folks should be called mudmen not surf fishermen because of where you fish. Did anyone get stuck back there yet or have to be rescued? Eagerly awaiting the first Rich Swiss or mud rescue story.:drool:

DarkSkies
03-29-2012, 06:22 PM
Overwintering bass - Normally, it's used to describe freshwater bass, or saltwater juvenile bass, that gather in a specific area of a larger body of water because of optimal food or water depth and temperatures.

However, for purposes of describing the NJ Winter Bass Bite of 2012, it's the term I would use to describe the unusual phenomenon off the NNJ Coast in the Winter of 2011 where the water temperatures never dropped to their seasonal lows.

This, coupled with the incredible abundance of forage...whitelegger crabs at first, then followed by sand eels, herring, bunker, squid, and lately, butterfish...created a situation where a certain % of bass ignored their natural instincts to migrate South to warmer water, or North to the deep bays of the Hudson.

These bass gorged on the forage all winter, and remained in a 20 mile circular area reaching from the Shoreline in Monmouth County to the Shrewsbury Rocks and the inshore boundaries of the Mud Hole, all the way to Breezy Point in Brooklyn and some LI waters.

This overwintering, while not a completely new phenomenon, is so unusual, and contributed to such a robust Winter fishery......
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8248-Bite-of-the-Decade

that it should be mentioned here, and will probably be referenced in many fishing articles and publications in the future.

CharlieTuna
03-30-2012, 09:11 PM
Dillydock gets my vote for all-time best definition. Even better than googan.

DarkSkies
04-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Monty-Marathon......
(As originally described by Rip316)

Term used to describe a Marathon Fishing Session.....
Sometimes ending in a Skunk, sometimes not...and ending with some bass, some bluefish, and maybe a Coney Island whitefish, or a white snake in the water...

But always consisting of the following...
All night hard-core fishing....:headbang:
Casting and casting, with only minimal breaks in between to take a leak...
Non-stop effort no matter what the weather...:thumbsup:
Walking and walking, miles at a time, until you find at least one fish (or pass out half-dead with exhaustion) at least according to Rip316...:laugh: :HappyWave:

Monty
04-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Monty-Marathon......
(As originally described by Rip316)

:HappyWave: LOL, I remember Rip316 saying after we finished fishing that he thought I didn't like him because I kept walking away. I thought that was hilarious.

Sleep is over rated.

rip316
04-22-2012, 07:20 PM
:HappyWave: LOL, I remember Rip316 saying after we finished fishing that he thought I didn't like him because I kept walking away. I thought that was hilarious.

Sleep is over rated.

I rememeber the night I did the Marathon with Uncle Monty and the Night I did the Marathon with Dark. I believe by 830am I was on my back passed out on the beach somewhere. I do not know how they do it. I think I had to drive home the marathon night with Dark if I didnt drive he mentioned pulling over and doing jumping jacks or some **** along the road just to stop him from falling out and that would probably bring along the Staties. lmao. The night I went with Monty I was instantly addicted to Redbulls. Good times.

skinner
04-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Funny stuff.
Redbull, the drink of the night surfcaster.:dribble:

Monty
04-23-2012, 07:09 AM
Casting and casting, with only minimal breaks in between to take a leak...
:

I do not know how they do it. I think I had to drive home the marathon night with Dark if I didnt drive he mentioned pulling over and doing jumping jacks or some **** along the road just to stop him from falling out and that would probably bring along the Staties. lmao. The night I went with Monty I was instantly addicted to Redbulls. Good times.

Redbull, the drink of the night surfcaster.:dribble:
Well now one 5 Hour Energy Extra Energy Drink (Grape) when I leave the house at 11:30 at night and one at ~4:00 (they are tiny delicious shots, easy to carry one), and I have cut down on the down time Dark so aptly pointed out :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :HappyWave:

I can picture driving on route 36 and looking on the side of the road and seeing Dark there doing jumping jacks....

plugaholic
04-23-2012, 07:22 AM
I think I had to drive home the marathon night with Dark if I didnt drive he mentioned pulling over and doing jumping jacks or some **** along the road just to stop him from falling out and that would probably bring along the Staties. lmao. The night I went with Monty I was instantly addicted to Redbulls. Good times.

Jumping jacks and red bulls, you guys really fish to the max!

I can imagine a state police call to the dispatch - yeah I want you to run a search on this plate, there is a guy on the side of the road doing jumpingjacks. See if there are any reported missing from the local looney bin.:kooky:

BassBuddah
05-14-2012, 04:09 PM
slipgut - thas been plaguing a few of us on the south shore, and thought you folks might want to know about it.

Slip Gut - algae which blooms early in the Spring. Feathery in appearance when drifting in the water. Slight red-brown in color.
A PITA for fishermen.

DarkSkies
06-14-2012, 01:19 PM
There are some new ways of approachiing fishing for big bass that have come to my attention.....thought it might be a good idea to start documenting it.....and if any of you guys feel free at creating your own, feel free.....:HappyWave:

short fillets....some might think this involves filleting short bass, hardly....:rolleyes:
The new mindset, when you have "epic fishing" and everyone on board get bass in the 30-40# Class, is "short fillets"....whereby you don't fillet at the rib cage because the meat is too thick....instead filleting the bass from about halfway down, to the tail, producing a more "manageable" fillet.....and wasting about 50& of the meat.....

Ya just can't make this stuff up, people....:kooky:

seamonkey
06-14-2012, 03:43 PM
"high grading" the bass - the guys who take the largest bass in a bltz, leaving the smaller ones dead on the sand. Or the guys who get 2 keepers bring them to a tackle shop, and then leave them there so they can get some more for the tourney standings.

hookedonbass
06-14-2012, 04:44 PM
seamonkey I think the first thing you mentioned is called culling bass.

DarkSkies
07-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Googan Error.....

2. Googan error...has come to mean a lot of things on this site....
For Monty it could mean hooking himself in the hand, casting into a tree, 50 miles from the ocean....:laugh: :HappyWave:

For me, it could mean something like...
Doing a faceplant on sand or water when I'm so tired I should be home and not out fishin...
Getting a wind-knot that takes 1/4 hour to straighten out, losing valuable fishing time..

Or drinking so many 5 hour energy drinks that somehow I end up shatting my pants.and have to wade in the water half-naked to get everything cleaned up again...:scared:..:blackeye:
(And people wonder why I only fish at night....)
Or losing a fish to structure...

hookset
07-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Here's a real eye opener cell phone/INTERNET fishing is over do to the death of way to many fish. This will mean people will have to search out patterns that produce fish on there own. Until a major storm, bait especially clams will not work, except for trash fish which will thrive with no bass to eat them. Most of the so called bass pro's, will go back to where they came from ,as they dream of next spring when they can do there mindless need no experience snag and drop that caused this from beach ,jetty and boat.
Yep things are going back to how they use to be and it will get harder do to the lack of fish.Don't believe me check out your local beaches and jetties they are empty. You can read all the different BS stories written and posted it gets down to something really simple you can't catch what doesn't exsist.

Berkley is happy as Gulp sales are throgth roof as all the fluke fisherman gone wild have returned where they came from.:clapping:

You're preaching to the choir finchaser. I hope every one of the cell phone tackle shop heroes quits and goes back to fluke fishing. **** them. :2flip: btw nice catches fellas.

From the David Letterman show, Things that might tell you you're an Internet Fisherman:

1. Your best catches came when your friends called or texted you to "Get down here NOW!"
2. Fishing more than an hour is boring unless there you can catch at least 2 50 pounders in a blitz. Otherwise, why bother?
3. Your biggest catches come from snagging and dropping bunker.
4. You always weigh in your big fish, even if you caught the same sized fish yesterday. Bonus points if you have at least five video weigh ins a month or update your friends on Facebook with your Epic fishing reports daily.
5. Your fishing reports are sprinkled with the word EPIC FISHING! anytime you caught more than 5 fish.
6. You consider yourself something of a striper expert. The minute they become hard to catch, you will be on the internet telling everyone how you are slaying those fluke. Your ego is so big you don't understand how much of a tool this makes you look like.

7. You post up reports like "fish on every cast" with regularity. You don't ask yourself how this is even possible to do, it's all good when you're an internet fisherman.

8. If it wasn't for clams, gulp, or bunker snags you wouldnt have any fish to eat.
9. If it wasnt for cell phones and texting you wouldn't be able to catch a fish. Reading the beach? What for?
10. You keep every fish you catch. Why worry about tomorrow, it's more important to hang that trophy today so your buds know you're the biggest swinging **** on the beach.

DarkSkies
08-22-2012, 08:44 AM
Fishing and Feeding Windows....

Fishing window....
I think there's enough to say about this for a separate thread.

For now I will say it can be thought of in several ways...
It can be the specific time that you have to fish, and are able to get out there...

It can be related to the tides or drift if you are on a boat.

For me, it's when the bite is strongest or most productive.

It could also be thought of as a presentation window, where you need to be casting within a certain area (the window) to effectively target the fish.

Feeding window....

There is a definite feeding window where the fish seem to be most active.

The time that the fish are most actively feeding....

In my experience, this has a lot to do with the following factors......

1. Availibility and Type of Forage where you are fishing...
IMO this is the single most important factor. The presence (or absence) of bait will trump all other factors. It can make the difference in a night where you can't buy a hit from a fish, and a night where your arms are tired from reeling all the fish in during an aggressive night bite.
Learning to recognize what bait is around, why it is there, and which types the fish are concentrating more heavily on will allow you to maximixe your time out there.
Although there are no guarantees. learning about why fish feed at different times, and what they focus on, will allow you to target your quarry and fine-tune your success. Paying attention yields big bonuses, not paying attention will lead to you shrugging your shoulders and wondering why the fish were not there that night, when they were there the night before....

2. Tide stage....
Which tide, ebb or flood, and which tide is more productive for that area, and time of year...What Part/Stage of the tide is most likely to spur feeding activity?

3. Bait conditions....
Where the bait is at the time you are fishing? Is it hiding, moving, or somewhere in between, like in a staging process?

4. Current flow....
I look at the current as being different than tide stage. The relative strength or weakness of the current has a lot to do with the moon stage, and even the part of day you are fishing, as the tide and currrent will be different in the morning as opposed to the night at times.

5. Weather conditions.....
the weather is always a factor, to me...winds, swell, duration, and storm patterns.

DarkSkies
08-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Fishing and Feeding windows.......

**If you manage to put all the factors above, together in a plan that makes sense, after awhile you will be able to "see" when it's most likely for the fish to feed.

For me, that involves putting in hours at a time in one particular area....you cannot learn an area unless you fish the whole tide at that one area, and success comes from doing this over and over.
This is the best way, IMO, to see when they are feeding, and when they shut off like a light switch.

Once you have that down, you can apply it to other areas.

For me, those feeding windows have been varied this year.
So varied that I cannot depend on them, and have to re-learn them each week, or each night sometimes.

If you compared it to a game, it would seem more like a game of chess, than checkers...:d
One of the problems of that, for me, is that I would rather play checkers than chess...chess takes a lot more strategic thinking....and at times at the end of the night my brain is burnt and I don't want to do that much thinking.....:confused:

With there being less fish around, it is sometimes this kind of thinking that has resulted in me finally finding a few fish....:fishing:
And sometimes not.....:laugh:

DarkSkies
08-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Hail Mary fish....

When you fish for hours at a time,,,or maybe all night.
You still haven't caught a fish or had any action.

You say to yourself.....Lord please bring me a fish. Or Mother Mary please bring me a fish.
All I want is one fish and I can go home...

Maybe some time later, you do catch that one fish....
To, me a Hail Mary fish is a lucky fish, or a fish you caught despite all odds of you catching one....

(Also used in Football, as in Hail Mary Pass)

DarkSkies
08-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Hobo Shower....

When you fish all night, and are on the road, far from home...
You need to find a place to clean up in the morning....so you can get back to fishing without scaring people, or get on the road to work and make yourself look and smell :scared: presentable....

You find a place that has a relatively clean bathroom....
Go in there, hope they don't have a lot of traffic.....:kooky:

And scrub up your armpits, neck, face, wash your hair, and nether regions, with lots of soap and hot water....and if you have a portable razor, shave your ugly mug while you're at it so you don't look so scary....:laugh:

The trick is to do it quickly, and try to clean up after yourself so you don't get a lot of people staring at you.

Also talked about in the nomad fishing thread.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?3857-The-life-of-a-nomad-tips-for-on-the-road-fishin/page9&highlight=nomad+fishing

Monty
08-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Bloody Skunk....

When a fishing effort results in no fish caught and blood is spewed in some way while fishing.

Similar to this report:

Started off 2 hours before leaving for the trip with one of my cats trying to jump over my shoulder and missing:huh:, no big deal, 2 scratches down the side of my face, bleeding stopped on 15 minutes:thumbsup:.
Started fishing bay side at 1:30 AM, fished for 30 minutes, saw lightning, headed back to the Honda, moved to the ocean, no lightning :thumbsup: Fished a few areas, worked way down the beach around a mile, was walking around end of a jetty and the sand caves in a foot or 2 :huh:, then 2 seconds later caves in further, I reach out onto rocks, slam reel on rocks, stop free fall. Climb out, fish more, work way back to Honda, no action (bleeding of ankle has stopped:thumbsup:). Decide to go bayside and scout out an area that I have never fished. Walking the shoreline to the area, there was a soccer game going on water side (its 8:30 AM), a guy is running right at me:huh:, I lower my shoulder and when he hits me he crumbles to the ground, gets up and apologizes (no blood :thumbsup:). I get to my spot wade pretty far out, no action but am happy just to be fishing.. I decide to try a different path to get to shore, all is well almost there and the next thing I know I go from a nice sand bottom to sinking in mud, climb out of the mud, retrace original path and get to land. Am finished fishing at 10:30. Bloody skunk for me. But live to fish another day :thumbsup:
I have been in sand that has been very soft, like quick sand. This hole I fell in was completely covered, very dangerous.
Well that's fishing,,,,,,,:fishing:

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_8_26_sand.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_8_26_hole.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_8_26_ankle.jpg

madcaster
08-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Hail Mary to me
Telling yourself this is the last cast and you hook up ....
then you stay for another hour because your pumped up and hoping for another :kooky:

williehookem
08-28-2012, 11:09 PM
^There is the first cast curst and the last cast curse. Right on madcaster. When I am going to leave and get a bump I have to stay another half hour hoping to get that fish. Usually never do, but sometimes you get lucky.

williehookem
08-28-2012, 11:10 PM
First cast curse - when you go to fish for the evening and get a fish on your first cast. After that nothing. That is the first cast curse like a genie put a hex on you.

DarkSkies
09-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Marathon man......

Hopefully he doesn't grow up to be you marathon man:huh:

Term used to describe a cantankerous, crabby, anti-social, argumentative, :( type A, surly, sarcastic, disagreeable (but somewhat tolerable if he doesn't smell too bad....:laugh: ) Goog fisherman who goes out in the night, in search of fish that may not really be there......

Although called many names by other fishermen, sometimes ending in "****er" :laugh:...and going by the pretentious and arrogant internet name of Dark Skies..:huh:

And someone who spends an inordinate amount of time at night, looking for a few fish, within a time frame far out of the ordinary for a normal fishing trip.....:kooky:

DarkSkies
09-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Monty Marathon....
A Marathon fishing trip,
6 hours or more.......
with a Monty at the end....:laugh: :HappyWave: :thumbsup:

Fished ocean side this morning, 1:00-10:00, one area, but miles of it. Caught a short striper on Mag-darter around 4:30 (just as it entered the white water). Then only one small blue a little after sun-up. Could see some small bait being harassed for about an hour after daylight. Was a little breezy out there for awhile after the sun was up.
Also around 3:00 I "caught" another wacky fish. Its been a real weird year fishing so far for me.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_9_23_fish.jpg
No idea what this was.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_9_23_surf.jpg

storminsteve
09-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Haha awesome! Dark I don't know why you down on yourself like that. You have a lot of knowledge and are a kickass fisherman who knows a lot of little things that work. Your advice helped me many times. I dont worry about what others think about me unless it's my family. Good job dude. I love the Monty Marathon too! might start using that term in my reports but I don't usually fish for 6 hours or more so I may not qualify.:rolleyes:

Monty
09-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Monty Marathon....
A Marathon fishing trip,
6 hours or more.......

:ROFLMAO :HappyWave:
Can't wait for Sunday early AM :fishing: :thumbsup:

finchaser
09-28-2012, 06:31 PM
New term at the docks Albie's are referred to as Green Tuna by the mates on head boats ,sales to the Orientals are booming

storminsteve
09-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Bloody Skunk....

When a fishing effort results in no fish caught and blood is spewed in some way while fishing.

Similar to this report:

Started off 2 hours before leaving for the trip with one of my cats trying to jump over my shoulder and missing:huh:, no big deal, 2 scratches down the side of my face, bleeding stopped on 15 minutes:thumbsup:.
Started fishing bay side at 1:30 AM, fished for 30 minutes, saw lightning, headed back to the Honda, moved to the ocean, no lightning :thumbsup: Fished a few areas, worked way down the beach around a mile, was walking around end of a jetty and the sand caves in a foot or 2 :huh:, then 2 seconds later caves in further, I reach out onto rocks, slam reel on rocks, stop free fall. Climb out, fish more, work way back to Honda, no action (bleeding of ankle has stopped:thumbsup:). Decide to go bayside and scout out an area that I have never fished. Walking the shoreline to the area, there was a soccer game going on water side (its 8:30 AM), a guy is running right at me:huh:, I lower my shoulder and when he hits me he crumbles to the ground, gets up and apologizes (no blood :thumbsup:). I get to my spot wade pretty far out, no action but am happy just to be fishing.. I decide to try a different path to get to shore, all is well almost there and the next thing I know I go from a nice sand bottom to sinking in mud, climb out of the mud, retrace original path and get to land. Am finished fishing at 10:30. Bloody skunk for me. But live to fish another day :thumbsup:
I have been in sand that has been very soft, like quick sand. This hole I fell in was completely covered, very dangerous.
Well that's fishing,,,,,,,:fishing:

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_8_26_sand.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_8_26_hole.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_8_26_ankle.jpg

Monty Marathon....
A Marathon fishing trip,
6 hours or more.......

Monty you should write a book on your travels, would be awesome. Like Gullivers travels but you could call it Googan travels.:clapping: :wheeeee:

Monty
09-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Monty you should write a book on your travels, would be awesome. Like Gullivers travels but you could call it Googan travels.:clapping: :wheeeee:
:ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO :moon: :HappyWave: :ROFLMAO

skinner
09-29-2012, 05:26 PM
:ROFLMAO :HappyWave:
Can't wait for Sunday early AM :fishing: :thumbsup:

Bring camera in case your leg gets bloody again.:HappyWave: Be careful. The forecast is excellent, you may even catch a fish.

DarkSkies
12-06-2012, 08:55 AM
End of Day Bite....EOD Bite......

Common during Winter or Late Fall fishing.....
When water temps are lower, used to describe the phenomenon whereby fishing from the surf, and sometimes boats, will generally not turn on until the end of day nears, when the water surface temps have had a chance to be warmed a degree or two by the sun.....

Needle in Haystack fish....
Term used to describe tha one fish that doesn't conform to the sizes of the other fish being caught....the bigger or more unusual fish...Ex....looking for a 20# fish when the majority of fish being caught are schoolies.....

DarkSkies
12-06-2012, 08:57 AM
Mud Bite, or Mud Flat Effect.....

In Spring or Early Spring Fishing. term used to describe the back bay action that may increase in intensity when the mud flats have been heated by the effects of a sunny day. This heat on the shallow mud flats causes activity in the mud by small worms, nematodes, and crustaceans, which in turn may cause an increase in feeding activity by the fish.

DarkSkies
12-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Old Grouchy School.....(comparable to the School of Hard Knocks)

The life experience of getting pearls of wisdom, one at a time, whenever appropriate, with liberal amounts of profanity and name calling thrown in for good measure....:laugh:

Old Grouchy Basstard.....
When one attains a certain level of wisdom, knowledge, and perceptiveness. such as knowing that fish will not be caught in the 7' swells before and after a noreaster, one may be referred to in this manner.....and in the salt water fishing community, considered a term of respect for someone who is both a sharpie and has a set of balls big enough to tell it like it is.....no matter who is happy to hear it, or not.....:laugh: :clapping: :HappyWave:

storminsteve
12-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Hey I would go to old grouchy school if there was one. I bet it would be better than any class I ever took. Sign me up!

DarkSkies
12-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Hey I would go to old grouchy school if there was one. I bet it would be better than any class I ever took. Sign me up!

Steve, you would be amazed at the subtle differences he does that increase his catches over others.....
Even among other old salts, he is usually the high hook for the trip......:fishing: :thumbsup:

Googan Effect...when a googan/dillydock shows up and shuts the bite down.....:rolleyes:

DarkSkies
12-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Hobo shower -
In addition to the nice place to eat, the bathroom was big, clean and spotless....
How to get this done....
1. Do it at a time when they are less busy, less peak periods.
2. Plan your attack, ie go to the bathroom quickly and get out to the sink when there is no one around.
3. If someone comes in when you are doing it, they will give you dirty looks, so your mission is to not let that happen.
4. Move with lightning speed and have the paper towels, etc that you will dry yourself with, all laid out ahead of time.
5. I am now at the point where I can wash my hair in the sink, then soap up my pits and darkest areas...:laugh:...all in about a minute....if someone comes in at most they will see my drying myself....all good.....
6. After you are on the road for more than 24 hours, fishing hard, getting some of the stink away from you....is priceless...you feel like a new man afterwards....:bigeyes:

** And make sure you are a good citizen and clean up after yourself in the bathroom...it only takes a few seconds to wipe down everything, mirrors, etc.....

hookset
01-11-2013, 05:52 AM
You're preaching to the choir finchaser. I hope every one of the cell phone tackle shop heroes quits and goes back to fluke fishing. **** them. :2flip: btw nice catches fellas.

From the David Letterman show, Things that might tell you you're an Internet Fisherman:

1. Your best catches came when your friends called or texted you to "Get down here NOW!"
2. Fishing more than an hour is boring unless there you can catch at least 2 50 pounders in a blitz. Otherwise, why bother?
3. Your biggest catches come from snagging and dropping bunker.
4. You always weigh in your big fish, even if you caught the same sized fish yesterday. Bonus points if you have at least five video weigh ins a month or update your friends on Facebook with your Epic fishing reports daily.
5. Your fishing reports are sprinkled with the word EPIC FISHING! anytime you caught more than 5 fish.
6. You consider yourself something of a striper expert. The minute they become hard to catch, you will be on the internet telling everyone how you are slaying those fluke. Your ego is so big you don't understand how much of a tool this makes you look like.

7. You post up reports like "fish on every cast" with regularity. You don't ask yourself how this is even possible to do, it's all good when you're an internet fisherman.

8. If it wasn't for clams, gulp, or bunker snags you wouldnt have any fish to eat.
9. If it wasnt for cell phones and texting you wouldn't be able to catch a fish. Reading the beach? What for?
10. You keep every fish you catch. Why worry about tomorrow, it's more important to hang that trophy today so your buds know you're the biggest swinging **** on the beach.

i would like to add to this definition. If you post every location you catch fish at on facebook, you are an internet fisherman.http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.png

bababooey
02-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Dwarf finger pics- It's wild how different things look when you put them at exaggerated camera angles. Have seen that many times when a guy catches a fish and extends arms all the way out. A 5 lb tog turns into a 14lb monster. You know its been done by looking at the stubby dwarf fingers that the camera can't make sense of.
latest example
http://photos.nj.com/4504/gallery/sea_lamprey_caught_in_raritan_river/index.html

wish4fish
03-01-2013, 12:19 PM
hahaha internet fisherman lol very cool hookset!

storminsteve
03-01-2013, 01:26 PM
:thumbsup: well said hook. One of my very favorite definitions in this thread.

DarkSkies
05-31-2013, 12:14 PM
Waiters - coined by Speedy....:thumbsup: :HappyWave:

Speedy had a funny take on it when I was talking to him the other day...he called them "Waiters".
I thought I didn't understand, thought he meant "Waders"...

He said...."No dude, it's WAITERS! The guys too lazy to actually fish until someone is hooked up, sitting there with the binocs, they WAIT till someone else hooks up and come running down, they are WAITERS! " :ROFLMAO

Great word Speedy. :HappyWave:

buckethead
05-31-2013, 12:37 PM
It is sad that is what striped bass fishing in May and June has come to mean for New Jersey. I remember the days when you just went down and casted hoping to hook into a fish. I also remember the days pre-1990's when the bunker didn't gather up in enough numbers because the netters would swoop in and net them quickly as soon as they schooled up.

DarkSkies
06-14-2013, 11:58 AM
It is sad that is what striped bass fishing in May and June has come to mean for New Jersey. I remember the days when you just went down and casted hoping to hook into a fish. .

Thanks for your observations buckethead. I remember those days too. :HappyWave:

Blind Casting VS Fishing....:fishing:

I do not mean to down on people who use this term...as I am just as guilty of using it.....:(

Was talking to Jimmy Cousins the other day........
He mentioned how someone came into Giglios (Jim is there on Mondays if ya want to go down, bring him some coffee. and shoot the breeze....)
They said they got a nice fish "blind casting"....this turned into a conversation between me and Jim, about how these terms came to be....

Jim: "I dont understand blind casting. Back when I used to fish the jetties all the time, we didn't call it blind casting....we called it fishing!"

I agree with ya, Jim....:HappyWave:
I think that many things have changed in the game of fishing....one of the things that embarasses me most, is the mentality by some, that you have to see feeding or blitzing fish in the water to catch one......

I was just relating a story how..when I was first making the transition from bait fishing to plugging....I was alone by myself at the beach, one hot morining July 3...it was 75 degrees out....the water was about 70....it was bright sunlight...and it was the end of the ebb tide....we had very low water at that beach at that time.....

Of course, back then I didn't know that the night bite was better..;)...and I merrily set out casting my pencil popper.....for 20 minutes in the bright, sunny, July day......:kooky:

When I was starting to wonder if I would even catch a bluefish in that heat and sun, out of nowhere, a 23# bass (a giant to me, at that time...:drool:) comes lunging out of the water to eat my pencil popper!.....the adrenalin I felt at that moment..:headbang:.was higher than the highest high you could ever experience....it was off the charts,
to see that big head,
the disruption in the water,
feel the weght of the fish,
and realize that although I was an eternal googan, I had hooked the biggest fish, on artificials, in my fishing career, so far.....

My brain was going crazy with the dopamine receptors, flashes of light and excitement.....and the doubts I had in my abilities as a surfcaster....and my ability I would have to land this fish...and it being anything other than a fish story...if I couldn't get it in to prove to my friends and family I had managed to hook that fish.......

Kept telling myself....."Don't screw this up, Rich...keep pressure on the line,......no slack....pay attention...don't screw this up......you'll never forgive yourself if you lose her........don't screw it up you freaking Googan! :bucktooth:"

After a few runs, I managed to drag her up on the beach...and it was a helluva large fish for that day....in fact I later confirmed it was the only bass caught on that entire stretch of beach..for that day......Guys came running from all directions as I dragged her up on the beach.....(and yes I did weigh and eat that fish....at that time I didn't know as much as I do now, about fish conservation)

So what were the odds of finding that bass?....when the pickings were obviously so slim?....with no one else catching bass?...the only thing that seemed available were fluke and skates......

Yet the bass I caught was kind of what is described today as "blind casting".....

1. If I was waiting for a blitz, I would have never known that bass was there...
2. If I was more knowledgable, I would have not thought to fish for bass on July 3, at the bottom of a tide, water as warm as it was,,,,and the air as hot as it was.....
3. If I had the knowledge I have today....I would have been anywhere else but that beach, at that time, in that weather and conditions....but I would not have caught that bass, then..........

**My point to you folks.....as emphasized by the conversation with Jim Cousins....

I can't change the mentality of the new breed of anglers that is out there today...if that's the way they want to fish....and big fish in a blitz are the only thing that is important, or has value to them......so be it....

Even though we like to think we gain more knowledge as the years go by......and know when the optimal times to fish are.....there is something to be said for just going out there....and giving it your all, when you are fishing, instead of just standing around.......ya never know what you might find....on the end of your line.....:thumbsup: :fishing:

baitstealer
06-14-2013, 05:36 PM
That is a great story and a reason to keep blind casting lol. Thanks for sharing. btw I must be a googan too because I use that term as well..

Monty
06-14-2013, 07:14 PM
Even though we like to think we gain more knowledge as the years go by......and know when the optimal times to fish are.....there is something to be said for just going out there....and giving it your all, when you are fishing, instead of just standing around.......ya never know what you might find....on the end of your line.....:thumbsup: :fishing:
How many last casts do you make sometimes?
There are times when I make 20 of them or more, I hate to leave the water.

DarkSkies
06-14-2013, 07:22 PM
^^ I hear ya..:HappyWave:..I used to have a last cast rule...couldn't stick to it.....

If I have a few stops on the agenda for the night, I'm completely comfortable making only a few casts, and moving on to the other stops if I can't see any signs of life within those first casts, and working different levels of the water column....

Now, at the end.... I count a minimum of 10 or 20 last casts, if I think I should leave and there has been action during the night....
You never know when that random fish will find your plug....:fishing:

Monty
06-14-2013, 07:53 PM
2. If I was more knowledgable, I would have not thought to fish for bass on July 3, at the bottom of a tide, water as warm as it was,,,,and the air as hot as it was.....
3. If I had the knowledge I have today....I would have been anywhere else but that beach, at that time, in that weather and conditions....[B]but I would not have caught that bass, then..........

Good thing I have no idea what I am doing.....everyone knows not to fish teasers with any types of poppers...
More tan a few times a bass or blue will take the teaser instead of the big plug when they are on small bait.
In dirty water when "blind casting" some times the popper gets the attention, the teaser gets the fish.

A few pics of "blind casting" caught fish

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2007striper_double.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2008_bass_blueb.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2009_blue_double_c.jpg

DarkSkies
06-14-2013, 09:13 PM
^That was a most goog thing for ya to do....and it worked.....:kooky:
Ya never know till ya try.....:thumbsup: :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
08-16-2013, 09:50 AM
Someone asked me about this, thought I would post my answer here as well......

Why do they call it Ebb or Flood tide?
Ebb tide is the outgoing tide, (the tide "ebbs" out of the inlets and bays)
Flood tide, is the incoming tide (the tide "floods" the inlets and bays)

Many use incoming and outgoing to describe tide stage. I'm old school. I use the ebb and flood terms most of the time because I feel they are more descriptive.

bababooey
09-06-2013, 01:05 PM
I don't know if this is fishing, you can move it if you want but I found it hilarious. finchaser coined new terms the bengoog and shobiegoog. ds no offense but I heartily agree.:ROFLMAO

DS you are a true combo like a Bengoog. Then again more a shoobiegoog since you use to keep your sandmiches in with your bunker and clams

DarkSkies
09-12-2013, 01:12 PM
^^ Thanks bababooey..:moon:.:HappyWave:

Fin's old friend Russ Wilson coined the term "dillydock" and was famous for the phrase:
"Thats as big as that fish gets."
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5733-Legends-of-the-Salt-Saltwater-Hall-of-Fame-thread/page2

We gotta find more ways to memorialize Fin in NJ Fishing History, while he's still around and full of **** and vinegar....:cool:

DS you are a true combo like a Bengoog. Then again more a shoobiegoog since you use to keep your sandmiches in with your bunker and clams
:moon: That's the best ya got? :2flip: :kiss: :HappyWave:

From the OGB...
Bengoog.....Hybrid word used to denote a combination of "Benny" and "Googan"
Loosely translated, it could mean
1. You are a Googan who lives far away from the water...trys to fish anyway...fails miserably at it..
2. You are a Benny, coming down to the shore on vacation...tries to catch fish..but always in the daytime.....and cannot seem to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

ShoobieGoog...
Similar to the above but using the word "Shoobie" in place of "Benny"

This is an insult of the highest order, and one thing to avoid being called...if you want to be taken seriously by other fishermen. :rolleyes:

**(see fishing terms dictionary for further clarification)

plugginpete
09-16-2013, 02:14 PM
^^^lol

DarkSkies
11-10-2013, 02:56 PM
from the thread on Epic SS bite of 2013

....This bite historically starts at Montauk, around the first fall noreaster, or the first week of Sept. (Although this pattern has not held for the past few years, looking back on historical data and logs, it holds true over large blocks of time.)

4. Striped bass season contraction....when there are less fish the season will seem less robust and be noticably shorter. That action which previously started in Sept, has been pushed back till October, and almost November......
This to me is one possible indication of the contraction of the total striped bass biomass....when you look at it in a historical perspective.....

Monty
11-21-2013, 05:46 PM
dilly city

A place where dillydocks assemble..

Thanks jigfreak

Most of the guys I talked to said yesterday was far better. Insane crowds and dillydocks everywhere. The second one guy would unhook a bass 2 others jumped in to fill in his spot. One guy tried to do that to me and I told him I would fillet him if he tried. He ran away like a little girl and moved down the beach. By Saturday it will be dilly city.

storminsteve
11-21-2013, 06:46 PM
dilly city

A place where dillydocks assemble..

Thanks jigfreak

Monty check out this song I just composed. Axl Rose can now retire lol.

"Dilly City"

[Chorus: x2]
Take me down
To the dilly city
Where the waves are big
And the sandeels are pretty
Take me home

Just a' dilly
chasing internet reports so silly
I'm a hard case
that's tough to beat
I'm your charity case

So buy me somethin' quick
pork roll egg and cheese at Betty and Nicks! :drool:

Bass all over or so they say
You gotta-keep muggin'
for the fortune and fame

It's all a gamble
When its on at at Seaside

You treat it like a secret
Everybody's running cause its on!
[Chorus:]

Strapped in the ORV
Empty french fry wrappers

Why I'm here I can't quite remember
Oh yes Betty and Nicks said its on!

The surf club dudes are pushing and rude.
it's hard to move

I'd have another cigarette
but I got to keep casting over the bar!

[Chorus]

So far away
on the Parkway
So far away
will it be on today?

Island beach has been torn apart
Toilets are filled, no room to fart

Turn me around and
take me back to Sandy Hook

I must be losin' my mind-
"Are you blind?"
I've seen it all a million times

Monty
11-21-2013, 07:34 PM

"Dilly City"

Take me down
To the dilly city
Where the waves are big
Take me home

Just a' dilly
I'm a hard case
that's tough to beat
I'm your charity case

You gotta-keep muggin'
for the fortune and fame

It's all a gamble

Strapped in the ORV

it's hard to move

[Chorus]

So far away
on the Parkway
So far away
will it be on today?

Turn me around and

"Are you blind?"

That is awesome! Great. So far away. On the parkway.
LMAO

bababooey
11-21-2013, 07:39 PM
^^^^ Cool song steve awesome parody.:plastered:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbm6GXllBiw

J Barbosa
11-21-2013, 07:47 PM
I am deeming Monty the king of double hookups.

I've always followed conventional wisdom and taken off the teaser before throwing on a popper.

I feel like such a goog now!

Steve you are the man!

dogfish
01-22-2014, 07:22 AM

"Dilly City"

Take me down
To the dilly city
Where the waves are big
Take me home

Just a' dilly
I'm a hard case
that's tough to beat
I'm your charity case

You gotta-keep muggin'
for the fortune and fame

It's all a gamble

Strapped in the ORV

it's hard to move

[Chorus]

So far away
on the Parkway
So far away
will it be on today?

Turn me around and

"Are you blind?"

:clapping:Good stuff steve thanks for sharing.

storminsteve
01-22-2014, 07:45 AM
Glad you all liked it! Will try to work on a new one this winter.

Monty
05-30-2014, 03:47 PM
There were some nicer high teen bass and bluefish that I saw caught. These fish would only take bunker heads and chunks and were very tight to the bunker.
[B]There's nothing wrong with that, or fishing bunker chunks and heads....thanks to all those who offered me bunker to fish with....but it's not a challenge for me to do that, so I generally try to fish artificials now.
Thanks for reading.....comments welcome..

Comments? OK.
Its not called fishing when using bunker. Its called Bunkering. When these guys leave their house to try to catch a bass they tell their wife, family, dog or cat, "see ya's I'm going Bunkering to try to catch a Big Bass".
Throw your plugs and enjoy the fishing :HappyWave:

Just kidding :HappyWave:

Seriously to many bass have been killed in the last few years. Better enjoy the.fishing because the catching is getting worse.

hookset
05-30-2014, 07:36 PM
Its not called fishing when using bunker. Its called Bunkering. Seriously to many bass have been killed in the last few years. Better enjoy the.fishing because the catching is getting worse.

:clapping:If you stopped people from using bunker 90% of the bass charters would be out of business in a year.

cowherder
05-30-2014, 07:46 PM
^^ lol Check this out gents. live bunker loser boy lol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDuLXOXQg5s

finchaser
06-02-2014, 05:23 PM
I'll add to the skunk patrol. Fished twice this weekend. OC and MC. Nada. finchaser and sharkhart nice fish!

thanks but I joined you they didn't show today but then again the pesky bunker came through probably causing the vacuum effect

jigfreak
06-05-2014, 12:25 AM
Comments? OK.
Its not called fishing when using bunker. Its called Bunkering. When these guys leave their house to try to catch a bass they tell their wife, family, dog or cat, "see ya's I'm going Bunkering to try to catch a Big Bass".
Throw your plugs and enjoy the fishing :HappyWave:

Rofl at this. Especially since before you posted this I had never seen this used on the internet. monty posts it as a definition 5 days ago and tonight a guy is using the term in his fishing report.

Equipped for fluking I walk right into some bunka that were not having a good day. Instinct kicked in and quickly snagged 2 bunkers. After I beached them I realized my chunking hooks and fishfinder rigs were not with me. I baited my fluke rig (chunk on dropper, head on jig head) and caught a 5# blue. Then gave up bunkering with my flimsy rod as I was not able to get the bait out where I wanted to.
Went back to fluking. Lots of swings and misses and couple dropped. Managed one micro fluke but atleast I broke the ice.

Just a mere coincidence? stripers and anglers must have a pretty big reach by now that within moments of a new term being coined one the fluke fishermen gone wild is using it in his report. Awesome job monty. Hopefully the bunkerers are sterile so they cant reproduce.

buckethead
06-05-2014, 03:48 PM
^^^^^ I never saw that used either. It has another usage as a marine and oil production term but google shows nothing in a SW fishing context. I do believe monty created a new catch phrase.

bababooey
06-07-2014, 06:15 PM
bunkering lol. good one monty.

finchaser
07-05-2014, 12:16 PM
So where do you thiink the bait goes when the water is colder? Does it move out deeper or back into the bays and rivers. Thanks

Bay and river where it was warmer to start, and the shallows as it warms up faster.

The deep water bottom is colder. The south winds cause swells which cause upwelling a condition which sends the cold bottom water of the deep to the surface where it mixes with the warmer water, chilling it down.

hookedonbass
07-19-2014, 02:25 PM
FC thanks for the definition and teaching.
I found a pic that shows that. In the summer a lot of times we have very warm stagnant water with algae. do you think upwelling is a good thing in that it churns up the water and do you think it helps prevent algae blooms? thanks.

DarkSkies
08-01-2014, 10:02 AM
Now you rarely see any boats out there at night and if you do its usually during the peak of the run later on in the fall.

You're absolutely correct on this John....
I don't know why people have given up on this fishing....my best guess is they feel it's too inconsistent, with not that many fish around. NJ party boats wouldn't be able to find enough bass to satisfy their fares so they don't go out there, unless there are......

If you talk to the old-timers, the "Cartoppers"......they used to.....
Bring an aluminum boat on the top of a station wagon or pickup truck...or small trailer...
Launch in the rivers, go all the way out in the ocean on a calm night.....
Or launch at Monmouth Beach, conditions permitting....

Like you said, they used to drift along out there....worms or eels.....
It wasn't too hard to catch fish, and come back in with the tides and small horsepower motor....:fishing:......With some bass.....

Although a handful of smaller boats may be fishing in the dark at any time....most give up by 9PM...if there are any at all.....Most nights no one is out there.....

Another tradition that has died and gone the way of the Pony Express.......drifting worms or eels in your car-topped aluminum boat.....:(

DarkSkies
09-08-2014, 03:04 PM
^ Thanks for the info on upwelling, OGB and HOB. :thumbsup:
We all owe Fin a debt of gratitude for all he has given to us, unselfishly, over the years.
He has given many things of great value to some, who can't even manage a nod of appreciation or thanks.
Spent countless hours of his time, helping the new guys.
Crafted some special rods, and given them away, just because he hears of someone in poor circumstances....never to hear from those people again.....

Most of all...he's given his time.....and candid, truthful advice and help.....for many things beyond the realm of fishing....:thumbsup:I know I've mentioned it before...but want to mention it again, today....how grateful I am for your friendship, Bob.....

Yep, the old salt is a wealth of knowledge and help....
But he's still a grouchy basstid! :moon: :kiss::laugh: :HappyWave:

NEW definition:
"Crabbed out" - when people go to one place known to hold crabs, but it's semi-isolated from the most traveled places...
They hit it heavy, thinking it can take the pressure....
And, 2 months later...there are few if any crabs left....
food for thought...people...:)

finchaser
09-09-2014, 09:02 AM
thanks

bababooey
09-09-2014, 04:30 PM
^ Thanks for the info on upwelling, OGB and HOB. :thumbsup:
We all owe Fin a debt of gratitude for all he has given to us, unselfishly, over the years.
He has given many things of great value to some, who can't even manage a nod of appreciation or thanks.
Spent countless hours of his time, helping the new guys.
Crafted some special rods, and given them away, just because he hears of someone in poor circumstances....never to hear from those people again.....

Most of all...he's given his time.....and candid, truthful advice and help.....for many things beyond the realm of fishing....:thumbsup:I know I've mentioned it before...but want to mention it again, today....how grateful I am for your friendship, Bob.....

Yep, the old salt is a wealth of knowledge and help....
But he's still a grouchy basstid! :moon: :kiss::laugh: :HappyWave:

Fin chaser I wasn't aware of some of the things dark mentioned here. I have busted your balls over the years to go with the flow. The same with the finchaser hotline request. I do remember quite a few posts started by you, and many heads up on fisheries issues. Thank you sir.

Monty
05-15-2015, 12:59 PM
Arm Chair Fisherman: ACF
Someone who talks a lot about fishing but doesn't get off his @ss and fish.
Do this, do that.....but he (or her) does nothing.

finchaser
05-15-2015, 02:40 PM

DS this year

plugcrazy
05-15-2015, 04:15 PM
Whats the point of liveing if you are not fishing? Burn the arm chairs it's Striper season! Even if you don't catch it's fun to get out there and try.

Monty
05-15-2015, 10:23 PM
DS this year
He lost the passion.:don't know why:

Whats the point of liveing if you are not fishing? Burn the arm chairs it's Striper season! Even if you don't catch it's fun to get out there and try.
:thumbsup:
Hell yeah!

finchaser
05-16-2015, 08:50 AM
He lost the passion.:don't know why:

:thumbsup:
Hell yeah!

As there are less and less fish more and more people will quit

bababooey
05-16-2015, 03:37 PM
As there are less and less fish more and more people will quit

Hey I hope you are not referring to me along with ds for all the comments I made about not fishing until you get the intel from finchasers magic fishing hotline. I look at it this way. When the striper season starts it's cold windy and nasty. They ususally start catching them around graveling point and up in raritan bay. About 3 weeks after that the bigger fish start showing up. Why sit around in the cold and rain if you don't have to? Not looking to argue just stating something that should be common sense.

DarkSkies
05-17-2015, 01:24 PM

DS this year

:moon: :2flip: :kiss: :clapping: :beatin: :thumbsup: to the both of ya's! :HappyWave:

Nope bababoey...i think this jab is directed solely at me......
(I probably deserve it.........though.....:embarassed: :laugh: Guilty as charged.....:HappyWave:)
Monty and Fin are just busting my balls....trying to get me out there to fish.......I do appreciate it....
Good definition Monty.....You are accurate and your definition was clear.....:thumbsup: :)

Yep I've been busy and distracted with other things....just don't have the time to put into fishing or fighting for striped bass like I used to......

Here's an incredible feat for an armchair fisherman....though....something to think about....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png

1. From an armchair, without actually being out there....I was able to put some friends into bass in the 30lb class at night this year....just by tracking and trying to predict the bunker patterns...based on the seasonal movements and prevailing winds....when few others were catching bass that size from shore....

2. From an armchair....without actually being out there....
I was able to predict the seasonal pattern of spearing.... (1 month late to NNJ this year....but in the last few days causing an extra abundance of small fish being caught in the surf).......

I'll post more about that in another thread...but those of you who got those excited texts from me a few days ago....will start to see that the predictions I made...are correct....as more bass will be caught in close....and even though the back bay water temps are getting uncomfortable for a decent consistent shore bite....will (hopefully) see the bluefish stick around for a bit longer.....and start to see more of the elusive weakfish.....now that these small spearing are in the mix........

Yep....
And I was able to do all that from an armchair...:scared:...and the chain of compulsive fishermen I share intel privately with.....

Imagine how sharp and focused I could be....if I had the time to be out there every night?..like I used to this time of year......it just wouldn't be fair....:laugh: :fishing: :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
05-17-2015, 01:26 PM
** One last thought....Barbosa and I have been needling Monty to come back and fish NJ....this used to be his favorite time of year to fish our waters........
I even went so far as to offer to eat a piece of bunker from Barbosa's bunker cooler.... (hopefully fresh caught) if Monty were to come fishin with us...on NJ soil....

I feel that we are failing in that objective.....:confused:
JB just got a boat and offered Monty a prime spot to go and fish for bass......nothing but negativity as a response.....
Monty...SA's new resident grouchy old basstard..... also promised to kick my butt and throw me in the water.....:rolleyes:

So I would publically like to take Mr Monty up on that....as long as it is on Jersey soil.....
A. See DS eat a piece of bunker....
B Get a chance to throw him in the water.... (if your girly muscles have the strength) :ROFLMAO

Waddya say, Pal?

Is that enough incentive to get you back and fishing in NJ again?
We really do miss fishing the night tides with ya.....:fishing:
Let me know.....
JB will need advance notice so he can print tickets and get his bunker cooler ready.....;) :kiss: :HappyWave:

Monty
05-17-2015, 04:01 PM

Get this though your very thick skull ACF, very unlikely I fish Jersey this year.
Having lots of fun fishing, experiencing the waters of Long Island.
You know who is missing the bluefish action? Take a look in the mirror.
:HappyWave:

J Barbosa
05-18-2015, 09:59 AM
** One last thought....Barbosa and I have been needling Monty to come back and fish NJ....this used to be his favorite time of year to fish our waters........
I even went so far as to offer to eat a piece of bunker from Barbosa's bunker cooler.... (hopefully fresh caught) if Monty were to come fishin with us...on NJ soil....

I feel that we are failing in that objective.....:confused:
JB just got a boat and offered Monty a prime spot to go and fish for bass......nothing but negativity as a response.....
Monty...SA's new resident grouchy old basstard..... also promised to kick my butt and throw me in the water.....:rolleyes:

So I would publically like to take Mr Monty up on that....as long as it is on Jersey soil.....
A. See DS eat a piece of bunker....
B Get a chance to throw him in the water.... (if your girly muscles have the strength) :ROFLMAO

Waddya say, Pal?

We really do miss fishing the night tides with ya.....:fishing:
Let me know.....
JB will need advance notice so he can print tickets and get his bunker cooler ready.....;) :kiss: :HappyWave:

If the bunker are in my cooler you know they are fresh...I do know where we can find a stinky one or two!

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19359&stc=1

J Barbosa
05-18-2015, 10:03 AM
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19360&stc=1

DarkSkies
05-21-2015, 05:09 PM
Interesting info. Why do you think they hold down deep like that?

Basic physics - look up the "laminar flow" and how it is applied to rivers.

"In a river without obstructions, the slowest moving water is near the bottom and the fastest is near the surface.

Eddies are created behind an obstruction as water fills in the void created by the obstruction.

The current behind an eddy is actually moving upstream.
Hydraulics occur as water flows over an obstruction and a slight depression forms behind it. Downstream water attempts to fill this void, creating an upstream flow toward the obstruction."

I'll translate into terms we fisherman can understand...

If the bottom of the river was perfectly flat the bottom would still create friction that would slow down the water movement.

The bottom is never flat and any bottom structure creates eddies that slow the water down (even small ripples in the bottom create eddies).

We know that most big fish are lazy.

The eddies and slower current allow big fish to sit/cruise at the bottom and conserve energy.

Try getting to the bottom of the river flowing at 4knts with your sp minnow ~.~

JB, Monty and I sometimes text and say terrible things to each other....just our way of ball busting...:laugh:..you have to have thick skin to stay in the game.....
Sometimes I have called JB a lazy fisherman....yep I have....:HappyWave:...we pull no punches when we're insulting each other.....;)

Laminar Flow...
But this response stuck out in my mind....
When I think of patterns...Spring and Fall....
I'm always trying to figure out the "Why" rather than just being content with fishing locations.....

When someone says something like this...you can tell they DO observe what's going on around them....
Nice job, JB...you do pay attention to what's going on around ya....great explanation....:thumbsup: :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
08-13-2015, 01:46 PM
tarnbunkered-

When a person who previously fished artificials, gets so desperate, and the fishing is so bad..... that he has to go out on a boat...with a friend......snag bunker....and try to catch a big bass on a bunker head.
His reputation "theoretically" becomes tarnished......:don't know why: ;)...according to some......:2flip: :moon:

Therefore, he has been "tarnbunkered" :laugh:

The author of this dubious term can step up to claim ownership....or not...it's up to him......:plastered: :HappyWave:

Monty
08-13-2015, 02:13 PM
tarnbunkered-

When a person who previously fished artificials, gets so desperate, and the fishing is so bad..... that he has to go out on a boat...with a friend......snag bunker....and try to catch a big bass on a bunker head.
His reputation "theoretically" becomes tarnished......:don't know why: ;)...according to some......:2flip: :moon:

Therefore, he has been "tarnbunkered" :laugh:

The author of this dubious term can step up to claim ownership....or not...it's up to him......:plastered: :HappyWave:

Hey, if the korkers fit........
You are tarnbunkered.

williehookem
12-11-2015, 10:24 AM
Heard a few guys who fish coney island using this term

Russian Release
When you catch short fish. Because you are in view of others you can't put it in your secret hidden sack. You angrily send it back into the water flipping it like a skipped clam shell. Or you kick it like a football with your feet.

jigfreak
12-13-2015, 10:10 AM
Loved it! Same thing on the jetties the russians and asians are notorious for taking baby blackfish. Only when you are watching do they throw the shorts back.

finchaser
12-13-2015, 06:24 PM
Loved it! Same thing on the jetties the russians and asians are notorious for taking baby blackfish. Only when you are watching do they throw the shorts back.

lets not forget bass :2flip: to them

voyager35
01-21-2016, 11:16 PM
Capt Al was talking about overwintering where striped bass stay in a different place than they usually do. From the nj.com blog.

Capt. Al Crudele III, of Bayhound Charters in Sea Isle City got into lots of large bass just south of his inlet last Friday. Saturday was too rough, but he saw the clouds of birds Sunday out in federal waters beyond the three-mile state limit. Yet, Crudele's crew still jigged a limit of 35-inchers plus one "over" while fishing inshore.

Crudele thinks those bass are overwintering there, and may not leave until it's time to move to southern spawning grounds. His Lowrance fishfinder was loaded with marks of fish and bait last Friday, and he even lost a jig to a tuna that hit among them.

hookedonbass
02-26-2016, 02:58 PM
scarping, water ski fishing being towed by a boat, for asian carp:headbang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqykDINEcGo

rockhopper
05-29-2017, 10:21 AM
cell phone brigade
used to describe fishermen who sit at home waiting for a bite. They don't want to find the fish. They want to walk onto a beach or rock and immediately be into fish!

dogfish
10-12-2017, 01:04 PM
rofl Googans and newbies defined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv5TXcQzsmo

hookset
10-13-2017, 03:29 PM
Awesome love it!